PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining hair length

SeRe
February 27th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Hello LHC,

I started my hair journey 4.5 years ago. I was at chin length and I'm now at TBL. For the first 2 years, I trimmed my hair every 4-5 months and cut about an inch off. After that, when my hair got long to waist, I trim every 2-3 months and cut 2 inches off. I also cut it in layers but have managed to grow out most of it right now. This way, I've been maintaining it at waist.

My hair dresser was cheap at $12 per trim, but the last time I went, I got charged $50 (plus $10 for tip). She also blow dried my hair and charged me money for this. I told her I didn't want to do this but she sort of forced me. She was otherwise very nice and kind so I didn't say anything (Something else I need to work on, making myself heard LOL) This was in November 2017, when my hair was TBL. She cut maybe 2-3 inches off. Now my hair is at TBL again.

I can surely afford to get hair cuts, but I have made a commitment to myself to not waste $$. (In fact, I now only buy a shampoo or conditioner when I am completely out of my previous one!) Maybe I am being a miser, but I would like to save this money and put it to better use, maybe gift my mother something :) (I was a spendthrift before and it took me a lot of self control to get to where I am)

How do you all maintain hair length? I think my hair grows pretty fast, but maybe it's normal speed? I don't know. I would like to maintain at waist/TBL and thicken my hem line. I would have liked longer hair and think I can achieve it pretty quickly, but I wear my hair down a lot and the thinning ends past waist/TBL don't really suit me.

I also don't like cutting it in layers so I am avoiding the DIY layer hack shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkLUsJPdtk

I can't try Feye's method because I don't want to straight iron my hair every 2 months prior to cutting. My under layer is wavier than my straight canopy so I am afraid of an uneven cut. I don't know if Feye's method will work on wet hair?

I like a round cut the most.

I just bought a pair of scissors off Amazon but I want to ask you all before cutting it tomorrow :)

Another stupid question - I want to cut a small portion of my hair in the front into two thin face framing pieces, as it looks better with updos. Is it weird to have two chin length pieces in the front and the rest of the hair at TBL?

Thank you very much!

CrowningGlory
February 27th, 2018, 09:35 PM
I think it's possible to use Feye's method on wet hair. Just take less than you think because hair does shrink once it dries. However my hair is wavy and I cut it dry. I do the ponytail under the chin method and put several hairbands at intervals down the length to keep it as straight as possible. The wonderful thing about wavy hair is that it can hide minor discrepancies in hemline. Mine never sits the same way twice. Also, I once had a very crooked haircut by a stylist that was very noticeable. I've never managed to do it that badly when I've cut my own hair.

I think chin length "bangs" would look lovely with updos and would likely blend into your length when your hair is down. I have some section of bangs that I'm growing out and you really don't notice them when my hair is down. I actually like having some shorter pieces around my face for when my hair is down because they seem to give me lift at the roots that is missing with the longer hair.

SeRe
February 27th, 2018, 10:15 PM
I think it's possible to use Feye's method on wet hair. Just take less than you think because hair does shrink once it dries. However my hair is wavy and I cut it dry. I do the ponytail under the chin method and put several hairbands at intervals down the length to keep it as straight as possible. The wonderful thing about wavy hair is that it can hide minor discrepancies in hemline. Mine never sits the same way twice. Also, I once had a very crooked haircut by a stylist that was very noticeable. I've never managed to do it that badly when I've cut my own hair.

I think chin length "bangs" would look lovely with updos and would likely blend into your length when your hair is down. I have some section of bangs that I'm growing out and you really don't notice them when my hair is down. I actually like having some shorter pieces around my face for when my hair is down because they seem to give me lift at the roots that is missing with the longer hair.

Thanks for the motivation about the chin length front cut!

Regarding the hair cutting technique, is there a link for the front ponytail method? What type of hair cut does it result in?

Beeboo123
February 28th, 2018, 12:45 AM
Crea clips! They’re so simple to use. They give a very slight U hemline.

lapushka
February 28th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I can surely afford to get hair cuts, but I have made a commitment to myself to not waste $$. (In fact, I now only buy a shampoo or conditioner when I am completely out of my previous one!) Maybe I am being a miser, but I would like to save this money and put it to better use, maybe gift my mother something :) (I was a spendthrift before and it took me a lot of self control to get to where I am)

I'd recommend keeping an eye on bargains and sales instead and purchasing then and stocking up a tiny bit (not like me). Otherwise, the chances are that you will be paying full price for something that might have otherwise gone on sale.

Take a look at the microtrimming thread around here.

There are threads on this forum for cutting in layers too, it's called "the compact cut" and it stems from (whatever YT says) the book, "Haircutting for dummies". It consists of making either a ponytail on the top of your head or on your forehead and snipping a bit off.

You don't need to straighten your hair to use Feye's at all. I wait until right before a wash, when my waves have sagged enough (for 1 and 2 hair this is *very* doable) and then I brush through very well, and go from there. It's more than enough to get an even cut!

I would keep the cut one length if you don't want layers at all.

ETA: And finally don't rush into it but keep reading around the forum and wait for some more advice.

The reason I also do it right before a wash, is, because you then can refresh the hair, and see how it comes out for real, with the wavy texture.

Jo Ann
February 28th, 2018, 12:31 PM
I comb my hair straight and put my length in a book, both to keep it straight AND to give me a straight line when I cut.

I also do like Lapushka--wait until wash day to trim. Same reason as Lapushka--waves are looser :)

Joyful Mystery
February 28th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I second the Crea Clip!

Deborah
February 28th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I bought a generic Crea Clip off of Ebay years ago. It was cheap and does a great job. I highly recommend it.

Flowerness
February 28th, 2018, 05:59 PM
I use Feye's method- both wet and dry. Depends on my mood. I use a scrunchie, and put my hair in a pony tail. Then I put another scrunchie at the bottom, and cut. I do this once a month, either right before I wash and clarify my hair, or right after. I do it all together so I don't forget. I cut off all my new growth so my hair doesn't get any longer. Once I've cut it, I take the scrunchie out and I check the back, and sides, using my fingers to double check and make sure that it is all even. I cut any hairs I missed before. Then, I comb the tiny little bits of hair in front, and make sure that they are even too. Once I'd done this a few times, I was able to cut the time down that it took me to do it. Cutting dry hair (that has been straightened out with a bun overnight) is relatively quick and easy. Wet hair you have to fuss with a bit.

peachyleshy
February 28th, 2018, 08:04 PM
I comb my hair straight and put my length in a book, both to keep it straight AND to give me a straight line when I cut.

I also do like Lapushka--wait until wash day to trim. Same reason as Lapushka--waves are looser :)

What a clever idea putting it in a book!
Micrtotrimming seems to be a good idea. When I micro trim, I just take 1 inch sections and trim a teensy bit off the end. Perhaps you could do this at times in between a trim at the salon (if the salon trims are helpful for you keeping it even and in a shape you like.)

*Wednesday*
March 1st, 2018, 02:32 PM
I do Feyes method with my hair dry as well. Once I reach TBL, I'll probably maintain to get my ends in shape.

SeRe
March 1st, 2018, 06:27 PM
Thank you all very much for replying! I think I will try Feye's method on wet hair, and trim very little. I plan to do it this weekend, and will update once done.

SeRe
March 1st, 2018, 06:33 PM
I'd recommend keeping an eye on bargains and sales instead and purchasing then and stocking up a tiny bit (not like me). Otherwise, the chances are that you will be paying full price for something that might have otherwise gone on sale.

Take a look at the microtrimming thread around here.

There are threads on this forum for cutting in layers too, it's called "the compact cut" and it stems from (whatever YT says) the book, "Haircutting for dummies". It consists of making either a ponytail on the top of your head or on your forehead and snipping a bit off.

You don't need to straighten your hair to use Feye's at all. I wait until right before a wash, when my waves have sagged enough (for 1 and 2 hair this is *very* doable) and then I brush through very well, and go from there. It's more than enough to get an even cut!

I would keep the cut one length if you don't want layers at all.

ETA: And finally don't rush into it but keep reading around the forum and wait for some more advice.

The reason I also do it right before a wash, is, because you then can refresh the hair, and see how it comes out for real, with the wavy texture.

Agree with what you said.

I don't stock up because I am still looking for my HG shampoo/conditioner. I have two big bottles of Aussie Volume Shampoo and Tressemme Clarifying shampoo, and a little bit left in my Nature's gate conditioner. I am fighting the urge to buy a bottle of sulphate-free shampoo to replace the empty bottle I just threw out. I am still looking for product recs. here. I tried reading the wavy thread but it has many pages, so I don't know what to do. Guess I'll have to buy something on a whim and then see how it goes.

SeRe
March 1st, 2018, 06:34 PM
Micrtotrimming seems to be a good idea. When I micro trim, I just take 1 inch sections and trim a teensy bit off the end. Perhaps you could do this at times in between a trim at the salon (if the salon trims are helpful for you keeping it even and in a shape you like.)

Good idea, but how long does it take you to get it all done?

SeRe
March 1st, 2018, 06:36 PM
I use Feye's method- both wet and dry. Depends on my mood. I use a scrunchie, and put my hair in a pony tail. Then I put another scrunchie at the bottom, and cut. I do this once a month, either right before I wash and clarify my hair, or right after. I do it all together so I don't forget. I cut off all my new growth so my hair doesn't get any longer. Once I've cut it, I take the scrunchie out and I check the back, and sides, using my fingers to double check and make sure that it is all even. I cut any hairs I missed before. Then, I comb the tiny little bits of hair in front, and make sure that they are even too. Once I'd done this a few times, I was able to cut the time down that it took me to do it. Cutting dry hair (that has been straightened out with a bun overnight) is relatively quick and easy. Wet hair you have to fuss with a bit.

Okay, but clarifying question. What is the fuss with wet hair? is it harder to cut?

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 06:13 AM
I don't stock up because I am still looking for my HG shampoo/conditioner. I have two big bottles of Aussie Volume Shampoo and Tressemme Clarifying shampoo, and a little bit left in my Nature's gate conditioner. I am fighting the urge to buy a bottle of sulphate-free shampoo to replace the empty bottle I just threw out. I am still looking for product recs. here. I tried reading the wavy thread but it has many pages, so I don't know what to do. Guess I'll have to buy something on a whim and then see how it goes.

I understand. :) If you are wanting to go sulfate-free, try the HASK line; I hear such great reviews, and I tried one of their flasks once when they still sold them around here, amazing!

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 06:14 AM
Okay, but clarifying question. What is the fuss with wet hair? is it harder to cut?

I find that you get less grip on it rather than dry (especially when having a 2 texture), and it sticks to your hands and might interfere with a good cut. For me at least.

spidermom
March 2nd, 2018, 06:56 AM
I tried the Feye method several times and always ended up with one side longer than the other. However, the ponytail under the chin method is really easy and results in a slightly rounded hem (sort of U shape). You just part your hair straight down the middle in the back and however you usually part it in the front. Bring half your hair in front of each shoulder. |||O||| (The O is your head.) Now bring each side to meet in a ponytail under the chin. \\\O///. Make sure you comb it all forward smoothly. When I used this method on my long hair (before I got the style in my sig pic), I would close a book over the ponytail, keep it level, and slide it down until the amount I wanted to cut off was sticking out the bottom of the book. Then I'd use the book as a straight edge and cut.

Jo Ann
March 2nd, 2018, 07:06 AM
In all honesty, I can't take complete credit for the book idea--I blame Spidermom and/or Obsidian... :p

Jo Ann
March 2nd, 2018, 07:07 AM
Good idea, but how long does it take you to get it all done?
Would you believe less than two minutes (including gathering all your things together)? ;)

Jo Ann
March 2nd, 2018, 07:09 AM
The shrinkage when your hair dries--a 1/2" cut can seem like more, expecially if you're a wavy/wurly/curly type.

MusicalSpoons
March 2nd, 2018, 11:58 AM
I tried the Feye method several times and always ended up with one side longer than the other. However, the ponytail under the chin method is really easy and results in a slightly rounded hem (sort of U shape). You just part your hair straight down the middle in the back and however you usually part it in the front. Bring half your hair in front of each shoulder. |||O||| (The O is your head.) Now bring each side to meet in a ponytail under the chin. \\\O///. Make sure you comb it all forward smoothly. When I used this method on my long hair (before I got the style in my sig pic), I would close a book over the ponytail, keep it level, and slide it down until the amount I wanted to cut off was sticking out the bottom of the book. Then I'd use the book as a straight edge and cut.

That's interesting, for some reason I thought I'd read somewhere that it resulted in a V shape. When you comb the hair, do you comb it straight down from the scalp, or short of behind your ears first the over the shoulder?

SeRe having a couple of chin-length pieces to frame updos is a nice idea :) I hope trimming goes/went well!

halomancer
March 2nd, 2018, 05:11 PM
My hair is curlier underneath and I use Feye's method when I cut my own hair. I cut it dry and don't straighten it. I would only worry about doing that if you are straightening your hair, because I don't find that the curlier part to be noticeably a different length when the underlayers have their natural state for both the haircut and everyday wear.

Dark40
March 4th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Hello LHC,

I started my hair journey 4.5 years ago. I was at chin length and I'm now at TBL. For the first 2 years, I trimmed my hair every 4-5 months and cut about an inch off. After that, when my hair got long to waist, I trim every 2-3 months and cut 2 inches off. I also cut it in layers but have managed to grow out most of it right now. This way, I've been maintaining it at waist.

My hair dresser was cheap at $12 per trim, but the last time I went, I got charged $50 (plus $10 for tip). She also blow dried my hair and charged me money for this. I told her I didn't want to do this but she sort of forced me. She was otherwise very nice and kind so I didn't say anything (Something else I need to work on, making myself heard LOL) This was in November 2017, when my hair was TBL. She cut maybe 2-3 inches off. Now my hair is at TBL again.

How do you all maintain hair length? I think my hair grows pretty fast, but maybe it's normal speed? I don't know. I would like to maintain at waist/TBL and thicken my hem line. I would have liked longer hair and think I can achieve it pretty quickly, but I wear my hair down a lot and the thinning ends past waist/TBL don't really suit me.

I also don't like cutting it in layers so I am avoiding the DIY layer hack shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkLUsJPdtk

I can't try Feye's method because I don't want to straight iron my hair every 2 months prior to cutting. My under layer is wavier than my straight canopy so I am afraid of an uneven cut. I don't know if Feye's method will work on wet hair?

I like a round cut the most.

I just bought a pair of scissors off Amazon but I want to ask you all before cutting it tomorrow :)

Another stupid question - I want to cut a small portion of my hair in the front into two thin face framing pieces, as it looks better with updos. Is it weird to have two chin length pieces in the front and the rest of the hair at TBL?

Thank you very much!

I maintain my length by S&D's every 3 or 4 months, and I do lots of conditioning, deep conditioning, and moisturizing treatments and oils.

DoomKitty
March 5th, 2018, 01:57 AM
I understand. :) If you are wanting to go sulfate-free, try the HASK line; I hear such great reviews, and I tried one of their flasks once when they still sold them around here, amazing!

HASK is amazing, my hair looooves both the argan oil conditioner and the argan deep conditioning treatment. I picked up the keratin conditioner today to use as my first in CWC (bleached and dyed ends). I've been using the deep conditioning treatment since Xmas and had a trim mid Jan, did a S&D last week and found only one split end, which is kinda amazing.

SeRe
March 6th, 2018, 07:43 PM
That's interesting, for some reason I thought I'd read somewhere that it resulted in a V shape. When you comb the hair, do you comb it straight down from the scalp, or short of behind your ears first the over the shoulder?

SeRe having a couple of chin-length pieces to frame updos is a nice idea :) I hope trimming goes/went well!

Thank you, I plan to cut after the new moon :) I usually cut during the moon waxing phase :)

SeRe
March 6th, 2018, 07:46 PM

Could you confirm if this is the way to do it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wowAGEzmAgM&t=256s

It matches your explanation. Should the hair be over the ears?

I will cut after the moon starts waxing.

SeRe
March 6th, 2018, 07:47 PM
HASK is amazing, my hair looooves both the argan oil conditioner and the argan deep conditioning treatment. I picked up the keratin conditioner today to use as my first in CWC (bleached and dyed ends). I've been using the deep conditioning treatment since Xmas and had a trim mid Jan, did a S&D last week and found only one split end, which is kinda amazing.

Sounds good, it's very easily available here. is it cone free?

Have you tried their shampoo?

SeRe
March 6th, 2018, 07:48 PM
My hair is curlier underneath and I use Feye's method when I cut my own hair. I cut it dry and don't straighten it. I would only worry about doing that if you are straightening your hair, because I don't find that the curlier part to be noticeably a different length when the underlayers have their natural state for both the haircut and everyday wear.

Makes sense, but my hair is different every day, and is sometimes so straight it could pass off as 1a/1b. So I need to make sure I cut it evenly.

SeRe
March 6th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I maintain my length by S&D's every 3 or 4 months, and I do lots of conditioning, deep conditioning, and moisturizing treatments and oils.

That sounds like a great maintenance plan!

SeRe
March 6th, 2018, 07:49 PM
The shrinkage when your hair dries--a 1/2" cut can seem like more, expecially if you're a wavy/wurly/curly type.

Yes, I need to be careful. Plan to cut wet and I'm aiming for half an inch.

DoomKitty
March 7th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Sounds good, it's very easily available here. is it cone free?

Have you tried their shampoo?

Both the argan oil conditioner and the keratin conditioner have Dimethicone in them (and I haven't used the keratin one yet). As far as I can tell the Deep Conditioning treatment is cone free.

I haven't tried their shampoos, I use the Marc Anthony Strengthening shampoo.

SeRe
March 7th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Both the argan oil conditioner and the keratin conditioner have Dimethicone in them (and I haven't used the keratin one yet). As far as I can tell the Deep Conditioning treatment is cone free.

I haven't tried their shampoos, I use the Marc Anthony Strengthening shampoo.

Thanks for the info! I'll pick up a bottle on my next visit!

DoomKitty
March 10th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll pick up a bottle on my next visit!

Just wanted to say I tried the keratin one today and it didn't detangle my hair very well (I usually detangle with conditioner as I rinse it out). My hair has dried nice & soft though.