PDA

View Full Version : How do you straighten your hair without heat?

ipickee
February 27th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Hi group! I found an old, old thread, but wondered if there were any updates. How do y'all straighten your hair without heat? My hair has a lot of wave in it. I don't use heat - ever. And now that I'm Hip length, I'd love it if I could (very occasionally) straighten it and wear it down. Suggestions? And thank you!

Flowerness
February 27th, 2018, 02:02 PM
My hair has become easier to straighten without heat, once it passed a certain length/wurliness. Not sure why. First, I make sure to moisturize my hair tons. Then I bun it. Just a sloppy bun, held up with a scrunchy. Done! I also discovered that using a heavy leave in, and bunning my hair overnight, straightens my hair and leaves it glossy and glowing! I've been using Cantu Leave In Repairing Cream, with tons of Shea Butter and found that this was a fun side effect. I was told it was heavy, and my hair gets weighted down really easily.

So, basically, since it is so porous, I just use lots of conditioning products and leave ins and bun. Done!

hayheadsbird
February 27th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Damp detangle and lots of smoothing as it air dries. I'm guessing if I used a hair drier on low it would speed it up and possibly work even better. I don't have lots of waves though, more 1c/2a, so it's easy enough to get it straighter if I want.

PixieP
February 27th, 2018, 04:44 PM
My hair gets straighter from being bunned. It's best the day after a wash, when it's been cinnabunned all night. Sometimes I have a little bun wave, but it's much straighter than my natural texture.

Glitch
February 27th, 2018, 05:06 PM
I explained to another member what I do on the 3rd to 4th page at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145566 :)

AutobotsAttack
February 27th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Usually a damp or wet wrap

JennGalt
February 27th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Henna glosses and coconut milk masks. My hair is black, so henna doesn't really affect the color much. And I wouldn't recommend coconut milk masks if your hair is oily. I mix it with aloe gel and cornstarch, apply it to damp hair and leave it in for an hour, then rinse it out and follow it with a vinegar rinse. Curl is increased for a day or so, then straighter after that.

Baking soda permanently loosened my curl too, but it took more than one application and made my hair brittle.

ipickee
February 27th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks a ton you guys! I need all the suggestions I can get. My hair has just enough wave to be annoying and not enough wave to be pretty, ugh.