PDA

View Full Version : Growing out my pixiecut

Longhairseeker
February 26th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Hello!!
I used to have really long hair, and after coloring my hair over 7 different colors in a short period of time, and using bleach a lot my hair ended up looking horrible. I tried to save it, but the texture went from loose soft curls to coarse rough lifeless hair. I decided to cut my hair myself (bad idea) I was going for a long
bob, and I ended up cutting my pony tail off, and just trimming more and more. It looked so horrible, that I just left it. It was an uneven pixie, and I got nervous if I wrk to the salon they would cut it even more short. It's been almost 6 months now, and my hair is still uneven, but I just want to let it grow.

I wasn't sure if any of you guys had a pixie before. I'd like to get back to my long hair again. How long does it take to go for a pixie to a bob? Bob to shoulder? Shoulder to APL? And finally closer to my waist, I'd hip area? My older sister ended up saying my hair probably won't be as long as it was before, but I just want some thoughts.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Milady_DeWinter
February 26th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Hi! I grew from a pixie to BCL long ago, so I can sort of give you a general idea. I also cut the pixie myself (out of anger/sadness after the death of a beloved one), so I KNOW.

We humans grow about 6"/16cm of hair a year, depends of everyone but that's the general rule. My monthly grow, for example, is 1'3cm every month. Knowing it, you can measure more or less how long it'll take... It's different for everyone, as we all have different physical measures, monthly grow, etc :) And you'll have to include the trims you'll want to have.

For me, it took about 5 years to be at waist, 1 more to be at BCL. The first year is the worst, I can tell, but here you'll find tons of support and tricks to take care of and style your hair, even at shorter lenghts.

Good luck in your journey!! :)

Beeboo123
February 26th, 2018, 10:05 AM
I went from pixie to TBL. There’s nothing stopping your hair from being as long as it used to, unless you start damaging it again. I took about one semester at school (13 weeks) to go from a pixie to a bob. Can’t really remember how long the other milestones took, but growing out the pixie was the hardest! I pinned up my hair a lot so I would not be tempted to cut it. All the best in your growing journey!

Edit: just to clarify, it was a shaggy pixie, not the kind where all the hairs are barely an inch long

lapushka
February 26th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I would suggest measuring on yourself. From one milestone to the next, then multiplying by 2, and that is how many months it is going to take you. It's best you do this on yourself, because body markers are different on different people. One person will reach some milestones faster than the next. It depends.

Good luck! And no more cutting your hair; promise? :flower:

amiaow
February 26th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Hiya, I recently posted a photo on the super shorties thread- I ended up there 13 months after my last pixie chop. I loved having a pixie but I didn't like needing to cut it every 3 weeks to keep it nice and I missed updos. You'll be at a bob before you know it, I think the growing out year is the hardest year! I just trimmed the back of mine to even it up as it grew out, now I have some form of hemline I can grow out the lot :)

Ophidian
February 26th, 2018, 05:08 PM
You can do it! :hifive:I started with a shaggy pixie with longest layers at mid-neck in April 2016 and now they are brushing BSL stretched (wavy hair). My hair grows at an average rate I think, though I don't measure because it's not good for my mental health :p. I have grown out with trims before but this time I just let it go and put it up as soon as I could, even if it was just twists held with claw clips. Anything to help me forget about it! Assuming a growth rate of 1/2 in. per month and no trimming, I will hit waist around September of 2019 or around 3 1/2 years from when I started. It's so individual though. Lapushka has mentioned an easy way to estimate when you will hit your own milestones.

browneyedsusan
February 26th, 2018, 06:00 PM
You've got this. IMHO, you can totally get it as long or longer than it was before.

(See siggy, and growth album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12117). )

Happy growing! :cheese:

unheardletters
February 26th, 2018, 08:01 PM
I cut my own hair short pixie in April 2015. I did a big trim in November 2015 to get the grow out more even at shoulder length. I should get to waist for the end of this year.

Rustam
February 26th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Stick it out! Its hard for sure. I'm a guy so it was a bit different for me I suppose, but it took about 2 years to get all my hair comfortably passed my shoulders (including bangs). Everybody is a bit different and I'm tall so maybe that makes a couple months difference as well. Good luck. Just have to stick with it and you'll have more flexibility with how you manage it.

MissMuse
February 26th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Welcome, I am growing out a similar hairstyle, I started in June last year and my bottom layers are just touching my shoulders now, so 8 months so far. Invest in some Bobby pins, they got me through the growing our stage

Reyn127
February 27th, 2018, 10:56 AM
For me, it took about five years to get from pixie length to waist, but I also trimmed off at least 10-12 inches over those years. Looking back at pictures, it seems that it took about a year to go from pixie to neck length, and then another year to make it to a solid CBL+, and from there the ends of my hair grew too long to be in most pictures I have so I'm not exactly sure.

But I agree with some PP's, your hair will likely be able to grow at least as long as it was before, it will just take time and care. My hair was waist length when I shaved it all off, and now it's tailbone+ 7 years later.

simoneymonie
February 27th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I went from a pixie in Dec 2011:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/39812228954_a93209cb8b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23E55CA)

To:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4713/38710484450_ef86810843.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21YHmnG)

Which I took yesterday, and is between waist and hip length.

When I had the pixie, I had to get frequent trims to prevent having a mullet, but once I hit shoulder-length, I stopped cutting/trimming it. I've also found that regularly and consistently taking biotin really helps with the growth.

TatsuOni
March 1st, 2018, 11:53 AM
Welcome! :)

Dendra
March 1st, 2018, 01:13 PM
I grew from pixie to APL in roughly 2.5/three years, with trims. Luckily I was not focussed on hair growth whatsoever so it really didn't bother me. Even the awkward stages I just accepted having to wear four or five clips in my hair to keep it off my face.

simoneymonie you're cute as a button! And your hair is fabulous.

spidermom
March 1st, 2018, 10:16 PM
I went to a stylist every 6-8 weeks while I grew out my pixie. It went from short layers to longer layers to evened up with no layers at the bottom of my shoulder blades in 4 years.

Laura1986
March 2nd, 2018, 02:57 AM
In my early twenties I went from shaved to a short bob in approximately 2 years. This included coloring (both chemical and henna and trying to bleach out henna... it was a mess) and a phase with braided in fake dreads.

I got to a virgin colored BSL in the years after that, and went to a pixie just three weeks ago (and immediately regretted it). So now I'm letting it all grow out again.

Since I stopped all sorts of coloring my hair it got way healthier and also I like it a lot more. So that's what I would advise anyone. I am still looking for my optimal hair-care routine.

Corvana
March 3rd, 2018, 03:47 AM
I started growing my hair in February of 2016. It was a mohawk at the time, with the sides shaved all the way (no guard on the clippers at all). It took until May 2017 for all of the shorter sides to be shoulder length. I would trim the longer portions once sections started to hit shoulder length, and was basically shoulder length to CBL for about a year. I'm now, a full 2 years from the true start of my hair growth, close enough to APL that I could call it if I super wanted to.

fhairyqueen
March 3rd, 2018, 06:33 AM
Your hair is what dreams are made of !!!!
Hair of a fairy tail princess
Soooooo envious !!!
Please never cut your gorgeous hair off :)

I went from a pixie in Dec 2011:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/39812228954_a93209cb8b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23E55CA)

To:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4713/38710484450_ef86810843.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21YHmnG)

Which I took yesterday, and is between waist and hip length.

When I had the pixie, I had to get frequent trims to prevent having a mullet, but once I hit shoulder-length, I stopped cutting/trimming it. I've also found that regularly and consistently taking biotin really helps with the growth.

vpatt
March 3rd, 2018, 08:04 AM
Mine was between 4.5 to 5 yrs from a short pixie to 30.5" to 31". Which is stretched waist on me. Not sure if mine is still growing, but most people would continue growing past that point, I believe.

Lizabeth94
March 3rd, 2018, 10:35 AM
My hair grows rather fast, up to an inch a month, especially when I eat a lot of extra protein and take biotin (however this has gotten expensive so I've stopped supplements for now). It takes less than 3 years for me to reach waist from pixie. You said you cut it to a pixie and let it grow for 6 months? Soon it should be long enough to tie back, if it isn't already. If you want instant gratification, try getting a couple sets of long clip in extensions, they can be put in even with a pixie cut, I know because I had clip in extensions done with my pixie for my wedding updo and it came out amazing. There are videos on youtube showing how to do it. It wouldn't wear them everyday because they can cause a little damage to your hair, but putting them in for fun once and a while can be motivating to reach your goal.
P.S. I've actually shaved my head before due to emotional distress during my teens, I was homebound sick with a chronic illness for years, so I get it.