PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your hair sticks?

carries
February 24th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I'm looking to purchase my first hair stick (little longer than BSL) Is Esty a good place to shop? Let me know where you get yours, Thanks!

littlestarface
February 24th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Yea etsy is good, also here on the swap board is where I get mine from. Ebay too for cheapy ones.

carries
February 24th, 2018, 06:44 PM
Thats what I was thinking. There are lots of beautiful ones on etsy, I will have to check the swap board too, thanks!

AutobotsAttack
February 24th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I would agree with Etsy.

Lots of quality hand crafted stuff. Some are a bit expensive, and then there’s some that are reasonable priced.

Really depends on the materials used.

carries
February 24th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Do you recommend a certain shop on Etsy?

littlestarface
February 24th, 2018, 07:30 PM

I'd recommend Timberstone Turnings, Lady Idun they have very nice sticks and the LI are acrylic and you can wear them in the shower and wont get damaged also they wont damage hair either plus they have like bumps on the stick so that it stays in the hair better. TT are more expensive but they are made from beautiful wood and pearls n such.

carries
February 24th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I will have to check those out! Thanks!

Corvana
February 24th, 2018, 08:10 PM

I also recommend Outnumbered Novelties. I just got a lovely matched pair of acrylic sticks from him!

carries
February 24th, 2018, 08:43 PM
I will have to check them out, thanks for letting me know!!:o

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I also recommend Outnumbered Novelties. I just got a lovely matched pair of acrylic sticks from him!

I second this shop; Rich is awesome to work with...you can custom order any stick or color...even create new colors :thumbsup:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OutNumberedNovelties

carries
February 24th, 2018, 09:08 PM
I looked at his etsy shop and I think that's where I'm going to purchase my first stick(s)! :o

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 09:21 PM
I looked at his etsy shop and I think that's where I'm going to purchase my first stick(s)! :o

Yay :thumbsup:

He does excellent work, and has a lot of cool colors ; just browse through his sales listing or find him on FB (he has pics).

I fell in love with his turned sticks and ovals; here is our thread for his shop and my collection ...with 2 more coming :o
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69622&page=146&p=3513503&viewfull=1#post3513503

carries
February 24th, 2018, 09:54 PM
I would basically want an exact copy of your purple/white hair stick! lol, its so pretty!:o

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 10:02 PM
It is....the only thing I would have changed is the topper.
Being flat you can see both colors from the side when I wanted just one color to show at a time..but that's just me lol
I have some outfits that works with it anyway...and I love it.
My other stick is darker ..and it is pointy, so you can't see the demarcation.
Just message him using the 'ask a question' button and he will see what stick you are talking about.

hayheadsbird
February 25th, 2018, 02:01 AM
Id recommends ketylo as first sticks as well. Not too expensive and the corkscrew shape holds well. They were some of my first sticks and are still favourites.

carries
February 25th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Thanks for letting me know, I think in a few days when I make my final decision on which one to buy in his shop, ( He has so many! ) I'm going to get one or two :) Is there a style of hair stick that you would recommend for beginners?

carries
February 25th, 2018, 06:31 AM
I will have to check them out, I love the wavy shape they have, thanks for letting know! :)

Nenyath
February 25th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I don't know what your budget is, but I would second the Ketylo suggestion. I got a green one off the swap board as one of my first sticks, I still use it. It is unasuming and works in a lot of styles. My very first stick, though, was simply a shortened chopstick (wood, not bamboo), it was a nice way of testing if my hair was stick hair or not ;)

Groovy Granny
February 25th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks for letting me know, I think in a few days when I make my final decision on which one to buy in his shop, ( He has so many! ) I'm going to get one or two :) Is there a style of hair stick that you would recommend for beginners?

His turned sticks have a bump mid shaft that some think help secure it in a bun better; myself included.
The regular sticks tend to have more slip and I need a center held or braided bun for those.
But your hair is thicker so either will work.

Ketylos have a nice hold as well; just not as much bling.

enting
February 27th, 2018, 01:34 AM
If you look at the section of the forum called "Conventional Products and Hair Accessories", there are many threads on specific hairtoy makers. You can browse through those threads and the pictures there to get a sense of what makers and styles you might like. The WEO Wear Everything Once thread is also a great resource for a showcase of different styles, often listed by color and shop name also
With the swap board you can also ask the seller how they find the hold and if they think your hair might like whatever item you're interested in.

Aredhel
February 27th, 2018, 05:58 AM
I brifly skimmed this thread and I don't think I saw mention of this shop (sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it!!), but I bought my first ever acrylic stick from WoodEverIImagine (https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/WoodEverIImagine) on Etsy. Like Rich from ONN, her customer service is phenomenal, and it is in the same price range as ONN... just a slightly different style. :) She does customs too. Totally obsessed with both of these shops right now!

lapushka
February 27th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Has anyone recommended Quattro or Ravenslair (on hiatus) yet? I love the aluminum & titanium accessories.

And there's the mixed metal combs of northwestgoods too. Recently piqued my interest again (I'm currently hesitating a few purchases, but unsure to buy anything new or not).

carries
February 27th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Thanks for letting me know Aredhell! Ive heard of WoodEverIImagine on LHC but never looked on the shop. I will have to go check her out! :D

carries
February 27th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Hi Lapuska! :joy: I wasn't able to find hiatus on Etsy, and ravenslair is on a break. But I went to Quattro shop and they a beautiful!! Obviously they are more on the pricey side but If I wanted to get a very special treat for myself I would definitely look on there.

browneyedsusan
February 27th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I've gotten some bargain basement ones on e-bay.
Even cheaper: hardwood dowels from the hardware store (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot). Cut down with the tree pruners, run one end through the pencil sharpener, sand smooth, oil, done!

bparnell75
February 27th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I want to put in a plug for Crockett Mountain Woodworks acrylics lovely Twisted sticks Twisted Forks. With the lower price range

Jo Ann
February 27th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I go to Sally's or different dollar stores and beauty supplies in my area. Most are plain Jane styles, but you can decorate them accordingly. Pricing varies.

sarah112786
February 28th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I got some from HairSticksNMore on Etsy and I love them! His stuff is pretty reasonably priced and there's so many pretty things. The shop owner responds very fast if you have any questions too.heres a link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HairSticksNMore?ref=l2-shopheader-name

trolleypup
February 28th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Hardware store and asian kitchen supply store.

Smoothed and polished aluminum gutter spikes make inexpensive bombproof hairsticks, and when they fall out they make a great ringing sound when they hit the ground so you don't lose them. Also, amusing conversations with people asking about the nail in your head. Emergency tent stake.

Chop sticks. Infinite variety.

KLin
March 1st, 2018, 03:55 PM
I go to the Renaissance Festival in Arizona every year and stalk Morgans Mane for hair sticks and forks. I love the purple heartwood. It is a splurge for me. I had one break a few years ago and took it back the next year and and was able to pick out a free replacement. I also had a nice set of chopsticks, one broke so I clipped them and sanded for matching decorative hair sticks.

vpatt
March 1st, 2018, 05:51 PM
I got some from HairSticksNMore on Etsy and I love them! His stuff is pretty reasonably priced and there's so many pretty things. The shop owner responds very fast if you have any questions too.heres a link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HairSticksNMore?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I'm very happy with these also as well as the service.

I did have somewhat poor service from another vendor that everyone loved in spite of his lack of customer service. But I don't think he's on etsy now.......but I did find all the love curious, lol.

Caraid♫
March 2nd, 2018, 06:42 AM

I wanted to buy a pair, just wanting something inexpensive and waterproof for when my hair is wet, but shipping cost was double the price of the sticks themselves! 10 dollars for sticks and 18 for shipping to canada!

I've bought a couple LI's in the past, they hold well (a little more expensive though) =)

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 07:36 AM
Hi Lapuska! :joy: I wasn't able to find hiatus on Etsy, and ravenslair is on a break. But I went to Quattro shop and they a beautiful!! Obviously they are more on the pricey side but If I wanted to get a very special treat for myself I would definitely look on there.

No no, Ravenslair = on hiatus. :) That's what I meant.

MusicalSpoons
March 2nd, 2018, 11:45 AM
I wanted to buy a pair, just wanting something inexpensive and waterproof for when my hair is wet, but shipping cost was double the price of the sticks themselves! 10 dollars for sticks and 18 for shipping to canada!

I've bought a couple LI's in the past, they hold well (a little more expensive though) =)

Shipping cost is a huge pain for me on Etsy too - all but one US seller I've found has the standard expensive international shipping which puts things out of my reach (and with customs limits, a larger order to make postage more economical per item is not an option either :rolleyes: ).

I have had some success with non-US sellers but tbh the real variety is in the US!

Aredhel
March 2nd, 2018, 11:59 AM

Yeah that's why whenever I order acrylics from shops like HSNM, ONN, WEII or LI, I always purchase $80-$100 worth of items just to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately it means taking a chance with customs, but I know also that if I keep the purchase under $100, the worst case scenario would be $13 in customs fees. And that's only if my package is flagged. Which isn't terrible. :)

Caraid♫
March 2nd, 2018, 05:34 PM
Shipping cost is a huge pain for me on Etsy too - all but one US seller I've found has the standard expensive international shipping which puts things out of my reach (and with customs limits, a larger order to make postage more economical per item is not an option either :rolleyes: ).

I have had some success with non-US sellers but tbh the real variety is in the US!
Yes, it's really too bad! One time I asked a seller (it was about a 10$ pair of earrings) if they would consider finding a way to send it cheaply and that I didn't need the earrings' shipping being insured and they could just go in a little bubble envelope and that I would assumer the risk of them getting lost, and she kindly agreed and shipped them for under 10$ =) I guess that could always be worth a shot!

Yeah that's why whenever I order acrylics from shops like HSNM, ONN, WEII or LI, I always purchase $80-$100 worth of items just to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately it means taking a chance with customs, but I know also that if I keep the purchase under $100, the worst case scenario would be $13 in customs fees. And that's only if my package is flagged. Which isn't terrible. :)
If I thought down the line I'd accumulate that amount's worth anyways I totally would! But alas, I just want one pair for now!

I totally expect and accept there are shipping costs for online shopping it's just when the amount is so not worth in relation to the cost (and size) of the item that you just wish there was a better way! Oh well!! *sigh*