PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep 2b waves from going flat?

DizzyGinger
February 24th, 2018, 01:51 AM
I am in a place of both excitement AND frustration with my hair. I used to think it was straight, though very thick and coarse. Eventually I discovered I'd simply been doing it all wrong, and that my hair is a pretty classic 2b (straighter at roots, although initially when wet to 25% dry the roots have a strong S-curve; and waves from ear down, large clumps of ringlet-patterns in front though).

I now cowash and know how to care for my hair. Recently I got a diffuser (took too long lol!) and I get amazing results when I "plop" upside down in the shower with conditioner, at 50% dry I use a curl cream like Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, scrunch it in gently, and use the diffuser alternating warm heat with cool bursts of air to reduce frizz.

This gives my hair more volume and curl than I knew was possible. There is a big issue though. After a couple hours, much of the hair starts to fall flat and straighten out a bit. Usually the very front stays fairly unchanged but that's the curliest part of my hair anyway. I don't touch or play with my hair.

My hair is all one length as initially I imagined blunt, thick, waist-length hair. But I'm wondering...is that hindering me? Should I try layers and maybe adjust the image in my mind of my end goal? Is there anything else I could try? Something I'm doing wrong?

Here's a before and after. https://imgur.com/a/177XI

ReptilianFeline
February 24th, 2018, 03:13 AM
I have a theory that the more "stuff" that coats each strand of hair, the heavier it gets and the heavier it gets, the harder it is for the strand to stay curly.

I know curly girl ways are recommended, but there are so many different products to use, that finding what is perfect for your hair can be a hard and long journey.

I have my hair in a bun all the time, so I don't bother with curl enhancers, and when I want to have my curls, I simply add a bit of water, flip my hair upside down and scrunch with my hands. Seems to work OK... except that I am now in the wonderous world of no-poo and no conditioner, so my hair is more or less coated depending on what mix I made. Sometimes my hair is flatter than usual, a bit greasier or more coated, but it takes time to perfect a recipe. I think it also takes time to find the right combo when using store bought products as well.

leayellena
February 24th, 2018, 03:30 AM
1. You may have 1c or 1c/2a hair type like me. Or rather 2a/2b than the full 2b.
2. A blunt cut doesn't hold volume on the top. The weight of the length drags curls down.
3. Layers are hard to grow, easy to damage, difficult to condition and style each and every layer. Plus: there are so many different types of layers that actually I don't know what in god's name haircut I had. It gives me an almost stick straight hair up to my bra strap then it goes directly into 1"-curling-iron-curls. I had a long pixie that is what the haircut is called ;)
4. Hmm we have threads for wavy-wurly and for each and every hair type. And the official 2 weeks thread for people to think over the change.
5. Personally I think all the scrunching, plopping, defusing for half an hour in the bathroom is totally fake curls. Those are not waves or curls, they are forced to bent in the way you hold them. I think hair that grows to terminal length shows the real shape of the strands. I mean c'mon hair doesn't grow to bra strap length and grows then shorter at your shoulder to frame the face or something. I don't understand why people don't realise how fake haircuts are! But that's just my thoughts on it.
6. If I keep my hair in buns it results in a 2a hair type especially at the ends. If I hold my hair in braids I will have kinks instead of curls hihi. But if I apply leave-in conditioner my hair goes 1c.
I tried scrunching my hair when I still got bra strap length hair. It looked freaking 2c at the ends and cowlicks in the crown because of my shorter layers somewhere at armpit length I guess. So yeah not so much length to drag my cowlicks. Btw if you layer your hair it will show off the cowlicks and bed kinks (not waves) by the next day. Yeah good luck with hiding that in a bun lol. I still have a v from the past haircut but my short layers start from hip length and my longer one is 2cm away from the so nicely called butt-crack-length 😊
7. Keep in mind that wavy means straight on the top and wavy on the length. I don't know why people are desperate about waves on the crown, because wavy doesn't mean wavy on the crown. It is so! I can't explain this, but it is real. People who cut their hair short below chin length Bob think they have straight hair. Curly means curls from the top yes. But 3a can go like 2b in a minute if you bun it! That's why people confuse curly with wavy with coarse with natural... My God I learned from LHC and LHC member's blogs in half a year more than a hairdresser learned in their entire career life!
8. Not every frizzy hair is wavy, as not every curly hair is frizzy. Try products that work for you without listening to advices. I have learned this precious tip on LHC. Forget the no-silicone conditioners. if your hair frizzies and likes coney conditioner this doesn't mean your hair is wavy, it means your hair is fine (not thin). Every shampoo, conditioner, cream, gel, etc. Works in its own way. Some products will leave your hair greasy, some others won't cleanse correctly, other stuff even work also as a cleanser although it contains Silicones! There are also some products that makes hair curl even more. All in all wavy second day hair is not achievable without the regular wasting time on it instead of bunning it in 20 seconds.
9. Weather changes also the way your hair behaves: humidity frizzies fine hair, it can make it clump together and some strands may go curly lol. Or it can go flat and fried. You can't expect curly hair on the top just because you plop, scrunch and defuse it. I wish I could have 1a /c/iii hair but I have 1c(1c/2a?)/f(m?)/ii. So try to accept your hair rather than "work it girl work it".

lapushka
February 24th, 2018, 03:41 AM
I think what "remains" after the diffusing has cooled down is what you're dealing with. Not that you can "keep" the waves that come out of diffusing. I think that is just how the cookie crumbles. :shrug:

Maybe try a longer plop and dry a bit in the towel like that, before letting it airdry and then after a few hours diffuse. It's how I usually mostly do it. Except I don't plop, I put it just up in a regular microfiber turbie.

DizzyGinger
February 24th, 2018, 04:21 AM
Wow, so much insight already! Thank you!

Reptilian: you make a good point. It's possible I haven't experimented enough with zero product. That'd probably be a good way to get to know my natural hair better.

leayellena: Thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed response! That's a lot of advice and general insights that are great for me to think over. One thing at least that I do know is that it is definitely in the wavy classification. It's funny, you've made me think about something that should maybe be obvious and I just haven't realized it lol. The way I discovered my hair type was this. Well, in the past I always brushed my hair wet after a shower. And I'd continue to brush it as it dried in hopes of making it more manageable. But it just made it poofy and I either threw it in a bun or used a curling iron.

So, what I did was take a shower and not touch my hair when I got out. Not at all, even a little, not even to push pieces out of my face. It was just sopping wet, so uncomfortable, but I just kept a towel around my shoulders and watched a movie. Eventually when my hair dried on its own, it had turned into definite waves. And in fact what I call big curls because they were the classic shape, I don't know how to describe it, not waves but hair that curled like a ringlet. Except it would clump together (on its own) to make very large ringlets. When I did this, which I did a few times when trying to get to know my hair, my hair would be wavier/curlier than I've ever had it. It would also begin its wave from the crown. But I still don't feel like I'm 2c because it doesn't curl from the crown, just waves.

So the funny part in telling you this is I'm having a really "duh" moment here. In order to have my hair in its most natural state, it seems that it needs to be completely left alone, with no product, no diffuser, no twisting, scrunching...how could I not think of this?? Let's blame it on the medications I take for my illnesses, haha! The only annoying thing is how practical is it to need to try to function with completely soaked hair that'll take 45 minutes to an hour to fully dry? Maybe the most realistic option for me is settling for flatter (but still wavy!) hair using my diffuser on a regular basis, but when I have the time/inclination, I can let it be and get my natural texture.

But then it's like...how do I preserve this hair for tomorrow? lol. I think wavy hair that's right in between straight and really curly is so tough. It seems like many really curly girls have hair that can be manipulated more for overnight styles without losing shape, and straight hair is just straight, but wavy hair is more liable to lose shape. Ugh, it's just so annoying lol.

lapushka: may I ask what you mean by diffusing hours later? does diffusing on dry hair do anything?

Crystawni
February 24th, 2018, 04:43 AM
DizzyGinger, first up, you have gorgeous hair. As a fellow wavy (mine's wavy from the root, and curlier in the underlayer), I find spritzing my hair with water after it's dried can help bring the whirls back that manipulation kills (well, all that drying, adding of product, plopping, etc.). And yup, I get my best sausage ringlets, smaller ringlets and whirls from clumped, dripping wet, totally untouched hair (not even towel-dried, wrung out or anything), but that can take a whole day of air drying, or more, so not something I bother with most times. In any case, I definitely find less is more, and that may help you?

DizzyGinger
February 24th, 2018, 04:50 AM
bring the whirls back

Ahh whirls! That was the word I was looking for! thank you lol

*Wednesday*
February 24th, 2018, 06:07 AM
I have T2A/B hair as well. If I roller set or even after I wash the wave/curl, it drops after a few hours. When I do wear my hair down on a special occasion, I'll sprits Herbal Essence Volumizing hairspray ( just a little) to hold the volume or curl.

ETA: your color and hair is very lovely.

lapushka
February 24th, 2018, 07:07 AM
At some point you need to figure out if it's worth it for a few more waves, to sit there with a soaking head. I don't think it's worth it. Give me saggier waves any time. :shrug:

I'd wring it out after a wash, detangle it, style it (scrunch the product in), then put it in a towel to plop for a few hours, then take it out, leave it alone *or* diffuse. That's what I would try. It will at least be much more comfortable. And to me comfort is everything (but that's me). ;)

yahirwaO.o
February 24th, 2018, 08:45 AM
What about twisting your hair in a bun or two overnight? It might change the texture a bit but you will have voluminous bouncy waves since you already have waves, it should hold up you a bit more for you. It works sometimes for my impossible straight hair and leaves a nice texture grip that naturally never has.

nycelle
February 24th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I've given up. Asked pretty much the same question a few weeks ago. Lots of advice, but most if it is just too much work for me.

Realized even though I'm a 2a/2b, the reality is, this type is only good for the first few hours after washing, and not touching my hair.
So unless I want to re-wet it twice a day and do the scrunching, misting, what not all over again constantly, I just let it get straighter as the days go on.

Personally, I think there's too much involved in keeping the waves. Letting it to go to a 1c looks fine and requires no manipulating.

Hairtyping for me didn't make a difference, since the reality is my hair only matches the type for the first few hours after a wash. So I'm just learning to love it is all it's waves, and straightness.. lol..

Reservechic
February 24th, 2018, 10:32 AM
DizzyGinger, with the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, it never worked well for me as far as providing a lot of curl enhancement. It was a semi decent styling product, but it never did anything awesome for my hair. It is packed with too much Shea Butter, and it's consistency is just too much for my curls, weighs them down, and causes major buildup for me.

I'm not really big on adding a lot of curl enhancement to my hair, only for special occasions, however, My hair is of a loose curl pattern and is fine textured and is if low density as well, and with certain products, they actually can make my hair look less curly than what it is.plus, anytime I have ever used a curl cream in my hair, and I lay my head down on something to nap or even when I would sleep with such in my hair (I always sleep with a satin bonnet and I sleep on satin pillowcases as well), the next morning, my curls would be flattened, and in need of a big boost. I have never achieved second day hair with any styling cram that I have ever tried, because of the fact that they provide me with either little to no hold. Therefore, I would always have to re-apply more styling cream to my hair in the mornings without fail. I definitely would always end up running into dealing with buildup issues going on throughout my hair and on my my scalp, as a result of such.

Where I live at, it is typically hot and very humid almost all year round, and right now, Spring hasn't even sprung yet and it has been around 80 degrees and is humid as well. I can't get away with using a curl cream in my hair right now at all, because my curls end up becoming droopy, due to lack of hold. Which is why, I had no choice but to switch over to using products that contain more hold and frizz protection in them for sure. I currently am using a styling gel (Jessicurl Spiraliscious Styling Gel)in my hair because I need a lot of hold at this point. For those times when I desire extra curl enhancement to give my curls more noticeable body to it, I use Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets (this product can be used alone, however is mainly used in conjunction with another styling product with it for greater hold and max frizz protection. Alone Rockin Ringlets only provides light hold, as it's main job is as a curl enhancer+definer. It provides added body that's for sure. And, for even more body, of course using a diffuser is always great for such. So, definitely don't stop using your diffuser, because it definitely is a super helpful hair drying curl enhancing and volumizing hair dryer that is a life saver for a lot of individuals that have wavy, curly, or coily hair. So, if it has been working for you, then by all means, I see no need for you to stop using it.

I just see where a bit of tweaking is needed in your current hair care regimen, but besides that, I don't see where a lot of drastic changes are needed to maintain your hair at all.

Because you did mention that you do co-wash, I must add this. I don't co-wash, because from my own personal experience that actually doesn't do anything for curl defining, curl enhancement, frizz control or any else for my curls except provide a more milder cleansing of my hair and scalp than what one gets with shampoo. Because, over time, every time I have tried to just exclusively co-wash my hair (and I am referring to using an actual cleansing conditioner or actual co-wash), I eventually run into buildup issues. For me using conditioner to conditioner-wash my hair, it doesn't offer a 100% cleansing of my hair and scalp, so the results that I have got from the times that I have tried such were all very lackluster, and I tried a number of times, put it actually created problems with my hair, that I didn't have before I would go to wash it with conditioner, and it did not end up being best for my scalp either. Of course, for some people co-washing or conditioner-washing works, but it is something that you definitely have to monitor with how it affects both your hair and scalp with repeated usage, because you will surely need to incorporate a clarifying cleanser into your regimen, at some point for sure.

I highly believe in DCing ones hair on a weekly basis, no matter what type of hair one has. It is something that truly makes a huge difference when performed regularly on ones hair. I deep condition with heat, as that is what I have found to provide maximum penetration of ones conditioner into the hair shaft and helps to not only aid in increasing the health of ones hair, but allows for ones hair to feel softer, help with ones hair having less tangles and knees, allow for greater moisture retention, and allow for ones hair to feel softer and help to aid with majorly decreasing frizz as well. And, I would highly recommend not using a styler in your hair that is on the heavy side and that will add weight to your hair, when that is the exact opposite of what your hair needs. Definitely try using a much more light weight styling product or products to your hair that will allow for it to look hair defined, frizz free, all without adding extra weight to your hair (like a product that's jam packed with many butters butters and oils do). Yes, there are of course individuals with naturally textured hair that have had lots of success with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and other products from SM. However, there are a large number of people out there but there whose hair doesn't respond best to the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, or matter of fact the SM line overall period. I can't say that the entire SM line would not be best for you, but at this time, I can definitely say that the Curl Enhancing Smoothie is honestly not best suited for the type of hair that you have at all. Which is why, it is best to move on to something else, for sure.

Beeboo123
February 24th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I’m a bit wavier than you are (2b/c), and what works for me is NOT touching my hair throughout the day, at all. After washing, I flip my hair upside down, scrunch my hair dry, scrunch in aloe vera gel, phyto 9 leave-in conditioner and camellia oil, then plop for at least an hour, then let it air dry. To keep my waves overnight, I either put it in a topknot cinnabun before sleeping, or stuff it (as though I’m plopping) into my sleeping cap, all without detangling or combing and with as little manipulation as possible. I usually wash daily unless I am very exhausted, and my waves have no problem lasting throughout the day.

This is my Day2 hair: http://i.imgur.com/wtPiYpW.jpg

MoonRabbit
February 24th, 2018, 01:33 PM
My waves just do what they want. I learned I can't make them stay fresh longer than a day without some manipulation. If I want a few days of constant uniform waves I put my hair is double dutch braids after plopping and let it air dry over night. Only then well they stay until my next wash.

Also just wanted to say you have beautiful hair and eyes!

calmyogi
February 24th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I know I get better results from as little products as possible. Plopping after washing and letting it air dry without touching. No product and no diffusing. I find that even diffusing ruins my natural wurly pattern. My hair is fine though so it might be easier for it to curl up and be on the longer side. Using as little silicones as possible as well.

calmyogi
February 24th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Also, keeping curls and waves to stay on long hair isn’t easy unless your hair is in the 3 category in my experience. I have accepted that I won’t have the fresh washed un touched look after I have put it up. I don’t have a job that is conducive to wearing my hair down so it’s inevitable for me to have to wear it up.

calmyogi
February 24th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I also got one of those fine mist spray bottles made for curly girls that I really like. I can brush my hair out after wearing it up and mist it all over without having to saturate my hair. It gives me nice Beachy waves. I like the messy look though.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 24th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Have you tried misting your hair with water before bed, then wearing a sleep cap overnight? For me, it gives plenty of wave the next morning.

cjk
February 24th, 2018, 09:30 PM
I find that my own waves are most evident when I do nothing, even stronger on the second day than the day when I rinse my hair. (no poo)

And I find that the more stuff I add to it, the less resplendent it becomes.

For me, doing absolutely nothing is key. But you have significantly more length than do I, at this point.

If I wanted to impose special or deeper waves in my own hair I might towel dry it and then use a very old technique called pin curls. You loosely form the hair into rings and pin each one, no need for rollers. After the hair dries the curl is retained, softly...on already wavy hair it should hold reasonably well with no need for products.

leayellena
February 25th, 2018, 02:10 AM
[QUOTE=DizzyGinger;3515162]Wow, so much insight already! Thank you!

Reptilian: you make a good point. It's possible I haven't experimented enough with zero product. That'd probably be a good way to get to know my natural hair better.

leayellena: Thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed response! That's a lot of advice and general insights that are great for me to think over. One thing at least that I do know is that it is definitely in the wavy classification. It's funny, you've made me think about something that should maybe be obvious and I just haven't realized it lol. The way I discovered my hair type was this. Well, in the past I always brushed my hair wet after a shower. And I'd continue to brush it as it dried in hopes of making it more manageable. But it just made it poofy and I either threw it in a bun or used a curling iron.

So, what I did was take a shower and not touch my hair when I got out. Not at all, even a little, not even to push pieces out of my face. It was just sopping wet, so uncomfortable, but I just kept a towel around my shoulders and watched a movie. Eventually when my hair dried on its own, it had turned into definite waves. And in fact what I call big curls because they were the classic shape, I don't know how to describe it, not waves but hair that curled like a ringlet. Except it would clump together (on its own) to make very large ringlets. When I did this, which I did a few times when trying to get to know my hair, my hair would be wavier/curlier than I've ever had it. It would also begin its wave from the crown. But I still don't feel like I'm 2c because it doesn't curl from the crown, just waves.

So the funny part in telling you this is I'm having a really "duh" moment here. In order to have my hair in its most natural state, it seems that it needs to be completely left alone, with no product, no diffuser, no twisting, scrunching...how could I not think of this?? Let's blame it on the medications I take for my illnesses, haha! The only annoying thing is how practical is it to need to try to function with completely soaked hair that'll take 45 minutes to an hour to fully dry? Maybe the most realistic option for me is settling for flatter (but still wavy!) hair using my diffuser on a regular basis, but when I have the time/inclination, I can let it be and get my natural texture.

But then it's like...how do I preserve this hair for tomorrow? lol. I think wavy hair that's right in between straight and really curly is so tough. It seems like many really curly girls have hair that can be manipulated more for overnight styles without losing shape, and straight hair is just straight, but wavy hair is more liable to lose shape. Ugh, it's just so annoying lol.

I am sorry to find out you need medication. I needed a lot of medication too as child. I stopped needing medication when I went to highschool. It was one of the best times of my life. The best I am living now is beside my man. During university studies I dealt with depression. Still dealing now after 5 years... But not so bad. My mom kept my hair short because... Name all the pros for short hair lol yay! If I didn't need medication maybe I'd have the true iii thick hair. But my hair is usually between 7.5-8.5 cm (3.34-3.75"). And yes it behaves like fine straight layered hair. A mess not a messy hair.... Style.
I go for benign neglect: let "curls" do what they want and put my hair up. It will be like 1b/1c by the next day lol.
As I don't care for curls in general I can't give you a good advice I think... Other than spending time on your hair to curl it every day no matter how you do it. There is also a Youtuber (Not active anymore I think but her tips are universal) called chupie https://www.youtube.com/user/chupie
She scrunchies her hair every day. No exception. She calls her hair bumpy (ykes! How can someone call her hair like that).

Why I don't scrunch my hair every day is also because I would like to give my hair a break from water, wet handling, products and waiting for my hair SOMETHING like 2 hours to dry. Brr!

Kake
February 25th, 2018, 05:00 AM
I think your hair looks as good in the second photo as the first.

Ophidian
February 25th, 2018, 08:36 AM
“ the reality is my hair only matches the type for the first few hours after a wash. So I'm just learning to love it is all it's waves, and straightness.. lol..“

I think this is a pretty healthy attitude to have with 2 hair :D.

spidermom
February 25th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I think your hair looks as good in the second photo as the first.

This!

I find that I need a bit of product (curl creme, styling gel) to get my hair to clump into defined waves and curls, otherwise I get POUF! and my hair resembles a cloud around my head, with all the finest hairs just kind of floating on the slightest movement of air. I get the prettiest texture after scrunching in product by twirling strands of hair around my fingers as it dries. I don't worry about preserving first day hair, though. A top of head bun used to give me pretty 2nd and 3rd day waves when my hair was longer. At this length I do a top of head ponytail without pulling the last loop all the way through with a soft scrunchie and get smoother hair with sort of a body wave - different but perfectly presentable.

DizzyGinger
March 4th, 2018, 08:27 AM
UPDATE! Based on all your advice, I decided to experiment a lot again. I had some surprising revelations, just like when I discovered my hair had more wave than I thought!

My hair looks shinier, less weighed down, and gets smoother waves when I only shampoo and don’t condition! It’s supposed to be the opposite for us?! I guess everyone really is different? I use a paraben and sulfate free shampoo from L’oréal which leaves my hair plenty moisturized. Then I comb it and part it in the shower, running the water over the top of my head so that the part stays smooth.

When I get out, I rake in Tresemme hair gel (not scrunching!) and leave it alone. A small amount of the gel and only quickly. When my hair is 85% dry, I use the diffuser on low, with cool air, just on the very ends to give them some oomph. I hold my hair to keep it from flying around. The end result is beautiful (I need to take a pic) as the smooth gentle waves look exactly like 1940s waves. It looks like I spent time imitating the style. Which is suuuuper cool especially since I lean towards a vintage style!

It’s less curly and more gentle waves, yes, but they are very smooth, frizz-free, and I can sleep overnight with it simply down, brush it in the morning and the soft waves are still there. I think if I embrace it as 2a hair I’ll be happier. And I can use a scrunching/diffuser technique for curlier hair when I want it!

Ophidian
March 4th, 2018, 09:12 AM
That’s awesome that you found something that works for you!!!