PDA

View Full Version : If dandruff shampoo doesn't help, does that mean it's not dandruff?

NightingaleLHC
October 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I've tried so many different things, and I continue to get little flakes! Dandruff shampoo helped for a while, but I just washed by hair this morning and there they are again!

What else could it be besides dandruff?

rymorg2
October 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I've tried so many different things, and I continue to get little flakes! Dandruff shampoo helped for a while, but I just washed by hair this morning and there they are again!

I'm a stylist....it could be any number of things. Some people's heads get used to a certain dandruff shampoo and have to switch it around to get it to work again. Not all dandruff shampoos have the same medicine in them. It could also be build up on the scalp though, depending on what you use on it. I get SOME flakes still, but since I've switched to all nautral products and nothing chemical I don't get the itching/flaking like I used to. I'm chemically sensitive though.

Periwinkle
October 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I've heard that ACV rinses can help with all sorts of flaky problems.

Have you considered that it might be dandruff that just keeps coming back? I had this problem a while ago, and while dandruff shampoo helped, it didn't solve it. Google told me that something found in white bread (which I eat waaaaay too much of) can cause dandruff if you consume it in large quantities. I cut down on eating white bread and my dandruff pretty much vanished.

NightingaleLHC
October 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Hm, interesting suggestions, thank you.

I will try switching to another dandruff shampoo with a different main ingredient.

I don't eat a lot of white bread, so I don't think that could be it, but that is an interesting thought. Perhaps it could be something else I am eating.

I will try ACV rinse, though I don't recall that helping in the past.

I don't use chemical shampoos except for the dandruff shampoo, which I like to switch up with Trader Joe's nourish spa. I use the nourish spa (cone-free) conditioner. Maybe it is buildup anyway, though I don't know what from.

Can one get buildup without using cones or products?

I will try a clarifying rinse/shampoo and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot for the comments :)

bella77
October 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
It could be you have seborrheic dermatits. Dandruff shampoos really won't help if that is the problem. In order for a proper diagnosis, you would need to see a dermatologist. Dandruff will also return once you stop using the dandruff shampoo, if it is indeed dandruff. Best wishes!

NightDaemon
October 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Try Neutrogena T-Gel if you can get it. It hits a few different conditions, including dandruff and seborrhic dermatitis, or it's meant to at least.

sahiba
October 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I had a very severe dandruff and homeopathy cured it. Though it still needs a certain precautions like frequent washes , taking care during climatic changes , diet and sleep. Stress can also cause dandruff. Why not show a dermatologist and then come to some conclusion.

NightingaleLHC
October 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Sabiha, I am just curious what homeopathy remedies worked for you?

Gypsy
October 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
It could be you have seborrheic dermatits. Dandruff shampoos really won't help if that is the problem. In order for a proper diagnosis, you would need to see a dermatologist. Dandruff will also return once you stop using the dandruff shampoo, if it is indeed dandruff. Best wishes!

That's what I was thinking.
I kept trying dandruff shampoos that didn't help and in fact, as soon as my hair and a scalp was dry, I'd have flakes.
I noticed the worse flakes were in little patches that if left untreated would get bigger and peel off- dermititis.
I think I used some heavy duty prescription shampoo to get it under control then some tea tree oil then finally just acv or even plain white vinegar rinses or Giovanni TTTT shampoo if I get a flare up.

Anje
October 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Is your scalp dry-flaky or moist-flaky? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that seborrhic dermatitis tends to be moist. You'll want a dermatologist to diagnose it, if you suspect that. (Good news is that we have lots of people here who have it, and have figured out how best to control it while growing long and pretty hair.)

Dry flaky could be dandruff. It might also be possible that you simply have a dry, flaky scalp that needs moisture. I'm pretty sure there are a few people on here who have dealt with that -- CO washing is great for that sort of thing.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have this same exact problem. I get tons of flakes. Especially in the front.

I use ACV rinses regularly. I never eat white bread or any refined grains (5 years this past June). I use all natural products.

Dandruff shampoos just make my hair feel greasy.

What i have been doing about it is every week or 2 taking a boar bristle brush and scraping my scalp with it before a shower. That loosens the flakes, but sometimes they don't all rinse out in that first shower.

I don't use chemical shampoos except for the dandruff shampoo, which I like to switch up with Trader Joe's nourish spa. I use the nourish spa (cone-free) conditioner. Maybe it is buildup anyway, though I don't know what from.

Can one get buildup without using cones or products?

My theory is that it is just my own skin. You are supposed to get a new set of skin everywhere on your body each week. I think mine is faster than that. My skin sheds everywhere. It is just easier to scrub/brush it off the rest of my body. I think on my head it just gets trapped near the scalp because my hair is so thick.

Try Neutrogena T-Gel if you can get it. It hits a few different conditions, including dandruff and seborrhic dermatitis, or it's meant to at least.

Ahhhh, I will try that.

I had a very severe dandruff and homeopathy cured it. Though it still needs a certain precautions like frequent washes , taking care during climatic changes , diet and sleep. Stress can also cause dandruff.

Well, I don't get much sleep, and I have plenty of stress. But, nothing I can do about it right now.

Is your scalp dry-flaky or moist-flaky? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that seborrhic dermatitis tends to be moist. You'll want a dermatologist to diagnose it, if you suspect that. (Good news is that we have lots of people here who have it, and have figured out how best to control it while growing long and pretty hair.)

Yeah, that sounds like me. Moist-flaky.

I've got other skin issues. I've been to several dermatologists, and have not been happy with any of the treatments. Some of them made things worse.

Right now I can't use any of the chemicals they prescribe, because I am nursing a baby. I expect to be pregnant or nursing most of the next decade, so I guess I just have to put up with this.

angelthadiva
November 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
As the weather changes to a colder climate (fall/winter) my skin and that includes my scalp are very dry and more flaky.

ACV rinses do help; I've found that dandruff poo just makes my scalp more dry :shrug:

galleth
November 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
If they're dry little flakes, I get them too since I'm off shampoo! I think it's just dead skin! They seem to be worse in fall and winter, when my skin gets drier.

It helps when I scritch my scalp before a wash, and sometimes I also use a mixture of 1/1 parts white vinegar/H2O as a pre-wash. It helps to clear the scalp. I find it works pretty well, if you can stand the smell! I leave it on for about a minute. I rinse thoroughly, I then follow by CO, and the smell goes away.

Felicity
November 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
I had to finally use coal tar shampoo to get rid of my dandruff.

intothemist1999
November 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Just call me a conspiracy theorist -- I tend to be skeptical regarding alot of commercial remedies...if they fix the problem, you won't be buying their product any more :shrug:

However...although I've rarely had dandruff, the one thing that work was Herbal Glo's Dry Scalp formula (I think that's what it was called...I later learned they have a dandruff formula, too, but I think I used the Dry Scalp one). It was WONDERFUL!

I had less success with vinegar, but it did improve the condition.

Gilly
November 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM

Sorry I have nothing to add but I must say your hair has got an awesome shine to it!!!:cheese:

NightingaleLHC
November 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Sorry I have nothing to add but I must say your hair has got an awesome shine to it!!!:cheese:

::blush:: thank you.

I would say that my flakes are more dry flakey. I have been under a lot of stress lately as this is my first year of law school. They are mostly in the front and my scalp feels itchy. I was doing CO but I feel like that made my scalp more itchy. I felt like it was because I wasn't getting all the conditioner off of it, maybe?

I am going to try a massive scritching before my next wash to see if that helps. I will also try the vinegar rinse. I guess it's the sort of thing where you just have to try lots of things and see what works for you.

On a side note, I have pretty bad eczema on my hands (dishydrosis). I'm not saying that I have eczema on my head, but maybe I just have dry flakey skin in general?

galleth
November 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
On a side note, I have pretty bad eczema on my hands (dishydrosis). I'm not saying that I have eczema on my head, but maybe I just have dry flakey skin in general?

Yes! It may be possible...

Also, you mentioned that CO made you itchy and maybe you weren't rinsing it all out.
I don't know what you're using for CO, but maybe you should try a condish that's lighter so it rinses out more easily? Also, I don't know if you do that already, but using an acidic rinse afterwards (on the scalp and the length), helps to get rid of any condish residue and restores your scalp's natural ph. :)