PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shampoos..

nycelle
February 21st, 2018, 08:50 PM
Love them? Hate them? Use them? Which ones?

I always have a dry shampoo at home, even carry around a purse size. I don't use them too often, but there are times when I can't wash my hair when I should. On those occasions, I love using my dry shampoo. It works beautifully and can keep my scalp and hair oil free for a few days. Any harm in using them?

Glitch
February 21st, 2018, 10:00 PM
I feel the same way. When I can't wash my hair in time for a sudden event I have to attend, for example, it's the easiest solution to spray some on and look like I have fresh clean hair (though I do wash it out as soon as I can after, especially to avoid build up).

However, the ingredients list in the ones I've read do list denatured alcohol, which is bad and very drying for the hair (there are many threads about it here, etc.). There are also a few other concerning ingredients, but like with almost anything, I think it's okay in moderation. As long as it's not a frequent habit than I think it's alright :) A wonderful quick fix for all kinds of unexpected situations!

embee
February 22nd, 2018, 05:23 AM
I've only used Dry Shampoo once in my life (that I remember) and that was many many years ago when I was in hospital and could not shower. It helped, in fact it felt like magic :) but it wasn't the same (of course) and I was delighted to be able to do a proper wash again.

I think it has its place, and that place is "emergency situations".

lapushka
February 22nd, 2018, 05:54 AM
There is one instance I got "confronted" with dry shampoo. It was like cornstarch suspended in water, and a regular spray bottle (no aerosol). It was... yuck. And had the same effect on my hair. My grandma bought it for me once, and as of that moment my parents let me wash my hair more than once a week; at the time I needed it, but it was the norm to wash it weekly... what do you know... puberty. :lol:

OhSuzi
February 22nd, 2018, 06:25 AM
on the days where I wake up & go yup thats some bad hair, too disorganised with no time for a shower before work - so nearly every day - life saver! only on the roots though if I can help it

ursaV
February 22nd, 2018, 08:42 AM
I kind of hate them, after many attempts at wanting to love them. They all give my roots this weird, almost sticky or stiff texture, and sometimes show up powdery even after I shake or brush it. Also there's a lots of yucky ingredients like butane and alcohol in the Tresemme one I have :(

Silverbleed
February 22nd, 2018, 08:48 AM
I love it, but only if my hair won't get wet anytime soon. I make my own mix with what I'm guessing may be wheat starch? I'm not sure what it is in English. And I mix it with chocolate powder to make it a little more like my hair color. If it gets wet it could smell like chocolate though haha. So I try to avoid that. But it works really well for me if there's no way I am able to shower, as a last resort.
I prefer this mix because the products I've tried so far from the store had this hairspray effect (and I always break some hairs with hairspray, I always forget I cannot go through it with my fingers!). Now I can still brush through my hair without any problem.

nycelle
February 22nd, 2018, 10:25 AM
I used them today for my roots. Had an unexpected errand to run early this morning so no time for a shampoo.
I really like them for a quick fix when necessary. It's works beautifully on my hair.

@ursav The butane is a propellant. They're needed in aerosol products. Alcohol is pretty much in every hair care product in various forms. Many are not bad.

Stray_mind
February 22nd, 2018, 01:03 PM
I use Gosh label dry shampoo on my roots, on the occasions where i can't/am too lazy to wash my hair and i need to go out. It's pretty good and doesn't dry out my scalp too much. It contains argan oil.

Twig
February 22nd, 2018, 04:06 PM
I'm under a cap all day, don't use this so much in the winter, since I'm go straight to a winter hat, but I use it to fluff up my hair in the summer.

krispie
February 22nd, 2018, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's bad for you, as long as you wash your hair frequently :)

ShahMat
February 22nd, 2018, 04:29 PM
I love it, but only if my hair won't get wet anytime soon. I make my own mix with what I'm guessing may be wheat starch? I'm not sure what it is in English. And I mix it with chocolate powder to make it a little more like my hair color. If it gets wet it could smell like chocolate though haha. So I try to avoid that. But it works really well for me if there's no way I am able to shower, as a last resort.

I know that feel.. like when you use this mix and you think you're gonna get away with the unwashed hair but it starts raining and you're obviously smelling like chocolate but still trying to act cool... been there, done that xD

lottiealice
February 22nd, 2018, 04:54 PM
I only wash my hair once a week (if that), have a fringe and use Monistat on my scalp + oils on my ends so it's pretty vital for me to at least use a little. I personally like No Drought by Lush as it smells lovely, does the job and I can see how much I'm putting on my hair.

I only use very little and not frequently (only when my hair looks greasy even in my usual plaits and I need to go out - I usually get away with oily/greasy hair when it's braided so that's my limit.)

FrayedFire
February 22nd, 2018, 11:00 PM
Hate them, biggest hindrance to stretching washes, but I haven't tried any homemade versions.

*Wednesday*
February 23rd, 2018, 06:52 AM
I have not or will ever use them. I'd rather marinade in my hair grease till wash day.

chomsky
February 23rd, 2018, 07:02 AM
When I wore my hair straight I used it a couple times. It left white residue that I didn't like. But now they have ones for dark hair! I don't do too well with aerosols though, so I wouldn't use the spray ones again.

It didn't do anything bad to my hair. Its wasnt dry, there wasn't any breakage.

MsMegMmk
February 23rd, 2018, 07:11 AM
I only use them when I'm traveling or in emergency situations, as many have said already. I'm finding that there really aren't any that truly have hair-healthy ingredients so it doesn't seem awfully good for the hair or scalp. I'd rather wash my hair a day early with my good, good stuff than stretch it out by blasting it with alcohol.

Silverbleed
February 23rd, 2018, 08:17 AM
I know that feel.. like when you use this mix and you think you're gonna get away with the unwashed hair but it starts raining and you're obviously smelling like chocolate but still trying to act cool... been there, done that xD

It hasn’t happened to me yet! But I did notice when I spritz my hair with some water to bring back the waves. And I am like ‘oh yeah’ lol.