PDA

View Full Version : Tips for fast hair growth

Margarita
February 21st, 2018, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone, i decided to try my best to grow my hair longer and since many of you have been in this forum for many years, i'd love to give me some good advice and tips on how to grow my hair longer :)

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 01:40 PM
Hello everyone, i decided to try my best to grow my hair longer and since many of you have been in this forum for many years, i'd love to give me some good advice and tips on how to grow my hair longer :)

Lots of patience and few trims per year will get you there.

There are some of us here who are doing the "inversion method", but whether or not that is successful or not sort of depends on the person.

In any case, there are no quick fixes, hair growing needs time and there are no miracles; those that try to "sell" you miracles, don't trust them. :flower:

chomsky
February 21st, 2018, 01:44 PM
Patience.
A balanced diet (this goes for general health) for a healthy body.
Length retention, if your hair is breaking as fast as it grows you'll never see growth.

It won't be fast, some people grow 9 inches a year, but that won't be down to any special tablets or magic tea, it'll be purely genetic. Just enjoy the ride! :o

Stray_mind
February 21st, 2018, 01:45 PM
Lots of patience and few trims per year will get you there.

There are some of us here who are doing the "inversion method", but whether or not that is successful or not sort of depends on the person.

In any case, there are no quick fixes, hair growing needs time and there are no miracles; those that try to "sell" you miracles, don't trust them. :flower:

This...

The only remedy is time and care.

I will add that you should also take care of your body overall (eat healthy, make sure you give your body all the substances it needs, and excercise), and use protective styles. Sometimes it can seem your hair isn't growing, but in reality, all the growth actually just breaks off...

Some supplements (Biotin, Zinc etc) tend to help some people, but in general, if you eat a healthy diet, you shouldn't be lacking in those...

Margarita
February 21st, 2018, 01:49 PM
Patience, a thing that catch me in some things and in some things not. *sighs* i really wish for my hair to grow, i consider hair(for me) the first and special accessory that make me feel beautiful and confident. Ofcourse i exercise since im a gymnastics athlete ^_^

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 01:53 PM
Stray_mind is right, lots of good care as well (both inside & out).

Meanwhile you can try finding a routine & hair care regimen that works for you (which sometimes can take its time too). And there's plenty to read on the forum, so that can keep you occupied as well.

ipickee
February 21st, 2018, 02:12 PM
You'll find lots and lots of valuable bits of information just scouring through the forum. I'd add to the list by suggesting that you make sure to drink plenty of water! Hydration is super important as well. Protective hairstyles, as someone else stated, is soooo important!

Beeboo123
February 21st, 2018, 02:49 PM
I have honestly never met anyone whose hair grows faster than mine, and I don’t eat or do anything special for hair growth. I eat a balanced diet, I don’t restrict or avoid any food group, I exercise, and I avoid alcohol. Keep healthy, and your hair will grow.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 21st, 2018, 02:56 PM
Patience, time, keeping yourself healthy, eating nutritious food, and a little exercise most days should do it, combined with protective styling and benign neglect. When it comes to hair growth, there are no "quick fixes", I'm afraid.

Wendyp
February 21st, 2018, 04:12 PM
For me it was hormones. Once I started getting to perimenopause and didn’t know it btw, my hair growth stopped. So I got my hormones straight and it’s now at the top of my butt. That’s the big thing and Patience and following advise on here.

AutobotsAttack
February 21st, 2018, 04:56 PM
Patience, time, keeping yourself healthy, eating nutritious food, and a little exercise most days should do it, combined with protective styling and benign neglect. When it comes to hair growth, there are no "quick fixes", I'm afraid.

I would second this.

Big fan of benign neglect. After a year you’ll be like, “where did all this hair come from?” Lol.

Glitch
February 21st, 2018, 05:24 PM
I would second this.

Big fan of benign neglect. After a year you’ll be like, “where did all this hair come from?” Lol.

^ Yes! Just happened to me the other day :)

Arciela
February 21st, 2018, 05:34 PM

This is so true :flower: Benign neglect worked wonders for me. Every day I'd simply put my hair up and forget about it..then one day I was like oh, my hair is finally tailbone length!

Another thing that helped my hair grow was all the great advice on here, no heat/dye, gentle combing, satin pillowcase, etc. All of that helped me finally retain growth.

Carolyn
February 21st, 2018, 05:40 PM
Patience is key. Eat a healthy diet. I personally believe a higher protein diets helps me as does drinking lots of water. Protective styles and keep my hair moisturized. Minimal trims.

Ariel love
February 21st, 2018, 06:27 PM
Good diet is the most important thing. You can experiment with oils or hair masks to protect the ends so that it won't break believe me no hair mask will make it grow faster it will only preserve the ends which prevents breakage.

And the most important thing of course "PATIENCE". Don't be in hurry just enjoy your journey to long hair.

ChloeDharma
February 22nd, 2018, 05:28 AM
Ok well given you are a professional gymnast I assume you have the diet and certainly exercise pretty well covered. Outside of that growth will boil down to genetics, health and care. Your best bet is probably to focus on growth retention and I hate to say it but patience. I have managed to speed my growth up, only once dramatically so. Unfortunately it wasn't a case of being able to single out one thing that did it, it was a routine with many different herbs etc that could have been responsible but most likely was the combination of them.

One quick solution you could try is to get wigs. this will give you the quick change in looks that you want and allows you to keep your hair protected for maximum length protection.

Margarita
February 22nd, 2018, 05:59 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments. I will try to high my patience and wait :) The good about my diet is that, i eat balanced and i cannot gain weight no matter what i eat. Im gonna try some essential oils on my hair roots and see how's the progress gonna be ^_^

OhSuzi
February 22nd, 2018, 06:08 AM
Yup one of those hard lessons that humans have to learn - patience!
Like losing weight or learning a skill to mega pro level – there’s no real quick fix – you just have to comit to it and know that it won’t be instant.

Personally I have had a vague time frame in mind of ‘about 3 years’ til what I consider ‘long’ hair (Sort of Arm pit / boob length)
Currently a year and a half in & made it to just beyond shoulder from a short pixie cut.
It’s not super accurate and I’m not specifically thinking it will be exactly 17 inches by March so 22 inches by December and it must hit 25 by the time the 3 years are up – just knowing that it’s going to take at least 3 years has helped me to chill out & let it happen rather than anxiously checking it every month and searching for progress.
And I’m already sort of considering what happens if I can extend my waiting goal to 5 years.

As already mentioned the only other thing to do is look after the health of your hair – no heat, healthy diet, no bleach/ dyes etc.
If there was a magic trick to growing your hair instantly everyone would be shaving and chopping their hair short then turning up the next week with super long locks – that NEVER happens to any one ever – except maybe famous people – and what they’v done is paid lots and lots and lots of money for a professional stylist/photoshop people to either fakely make their hair look short when really its long, or make it appear long with hair extensions /wigs etc – and it might be damaging to their actual hair – but they have enough money to constantly maintain / change their hair.

For majority of humans actual healthy hair growth just happens… eventually.

ipickee
February 22nd, 2018, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments. I will try to high my patience and wait :) The good about my diet is that, i eat balanced and i cannot gain weight no matter what i eat. Im gonna try some essential oils on my hair roots and see how's the progress gonna be ^_^

I love oils! A word of caution though; generally, you shouldn't apply EO's directly to your scalp. You'll need to use a carrier oil with just a few drops of the EO of your choice. A carrier oil is something like coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, argan, etc. Many people use olive oil and are happy with it. It just depends on how thick you like it. Castor is great for growth, but only a few drops at a time, as it is pretty heavy.

Oils (https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3235226288598694:5897013588&ie=UTF-8&q=Oils&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Oils&gsc.page=1)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 22nd, 2018, 12:31 PM
I love oils! A word of caution though; generally, you shouldn't apply EO's directly to your scalp. You'll need to use a carrier oil with just a few drops of the EO of your choice. A carrier oil is something like coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, argan, etc. Many people use olive oil and are happy with it. It just depends on how thick you like it. Castor is great for growth, but only a few drops at a time, as it is pretty heavy.

Oils (https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3235226288598694:5897013588&ie=UTF-8&q=Oils&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Oils&gsc.page=1)

Also, be aware that putting oil on the scalp can cause hair shedding in some people....

lapushka
February 22nd, 2018, 02:17 PM

I would be *very* careful with straight up EO on your roots! A few dots here and there of pure EO is great for spot treating (in case of acne or some such), but on a big surface like your scalp it is an absolute no-no. You need to *dilute* the EO in a carrier oil, like 10 to 30 drops to 100ml or so. Then use that on your scalp.

Be careful because it can be very irritating!!!

lapushka
February 22nd, 2018, 02:18 PM
Yes and Sarah is right. Keep an eye on your shedding levels. Some people can't use oil on their roots because of increased shedding. It is not hairs that would have come out anyway, it is an *increase* that can lead to thinning in the very end.

chiapommama
February 22nd, 2018, 02:24 PM
I heartily second everything these ladies say. Great advice. A lot of people on here have had success with Monistat. There's a gigantic thread on here. It's definitely a YMMV thing . It doesn't work for everyone. It's up to you if you wanna try it. I've been using it since last summer and been having great results. I'm a newbie myself and there's a lot of great articles and advice here. Not to mention gorgeous heads of hair. Enjoy the journey!

lottiealice
February 22nd, 2018, 05:15 PM
I have had results with:

Using Monistat and Dakarin on my scalp + coconut oil and aloe gel on my length/ends.
Using a detangler and silk sleeping cap (to prevent damage).
No longer using bleach and box dyes - I switched to occasionally using henna instead.
Searching for and destroying split ends rather than just leaving them, pulling the hair out (I actually used to do this, eek) or trimming the length.
Trying (and failing a lot of the time) to be patient and remind myself that I'm not going to have gorgeous knee-length hair in six months.

I'm also eating more fruit, working out and drinking more water in order to improve my physical health - no idea if it's helping my hair but it certainly cannot be hurting.

AutobotsAttack
February 23rd, 2018, 07:22 AM
I would be *very* careful with straight up EO on your roots! A few dots here and there of pure EO is great for spot treating (in case of acne or some such), but on a big surface like your scalp it is an absolute no-no. You need to *dilute* the EO in a carrier oil, like 10 to 30 drops to 100ml or so. Then use that on your scalp.

Be careful because it can be very irritating!!!

That’s a very good thing to mention Lapushka.

I remember when I didn’t understand how to dilute EOs.

I bought citronella essential oil. And just rubbed it all over my scalp. 5 mins later, my entire scalp was FIRE.

Very very uncomfortable feeling. I had to wash my hair and stand in front of a fan to calm the irritation.

MusicalSpoons
February 23rd, 2018, 11:08 AM
The best thing I ever did for my hair was to use hair-friendly styles and accessories - before finding LHC, my go-to styles were a ponytail, secured with a hair elastic, a bun secured with a hair elastic, and a plait/braid secured with a hair elastic (not protective because it exposed the ends of far more hairs to damage than even a ponytail). My poor ends! And I just thought my hair didn't grow past a certain point - turns out it did grow, but the ends broke off, and so my annual haircut was 'trimming' off 4-6 inches of scraggly, uneven, damaged ends. :doh: So yeah, not exactly faster growth, but length retention for sure.

But my situation is completely different from yours! I just thought I'd share to illustrate the effects of hair-friendly styles and accessories :)

You're in a really good position, starting from short with this wealth of information and the knowledge you're acquiring. Your ends now, that you're looking after well, are your future long hairs :D keeping them healthy along with all the new growth means you should end up at your growth goal (whatever it may be) with a head full of beautiful, healthy, long hair. Enjoy the journey!

lapushka
February 23rd, 2018, 02:42 PM
That’s a very good thing to mention Lapushka.

I remember when I didn’t understand how to dilute EOs.

I bought citronella essential oil. And just rubbed it all over my scalp. 5 mins later, my entire scalp was FIRE.

Very very uncomfortable feeling. I had to wash my hair and stand in front of a fan to calm the irritation.

OMG that had to be awful! :( I can imagine the irritation. Citronella, oh boy! Yes, you can get burns or redness depending on what EO you use. I would not put Eucalyptus or Peppermint or even Tea Tree full strength on the entire scalp.

Goodwyfe
February 23rd, 2018, 05:43 PM
Has anyone tried Kerotin hair growth supplement? I got sucked in by the reviews and bought a bottle for $35. I've only been taking one a day instead of two because I was worried about side effects. I'm trying to get from pixie to bob as quickly as possible because my hair looks pretty ridiculous between those stages.

Margarita
February 24th, 2018, 01:48 AM
Im thinking about into starting taking natural vitamin hair supplements :) I've never took before and i want to try them ^_^ What do you mean exactly diluting oil with EO?

hayheadsbird
February 24th, 2018, 02:55 AM
Im thinking about into starting taking natural vitamin hair supplements :) I've never took before and i want to try them ^_^ What do you mean exactly diluting oil with EO?
Essential oils aren't really oils as such.
They are highly concentrated and so shouldn't be used neat unless you really know what your doing!

Take a a carrier oil, like sweet almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil etc, whichever works best for you and add just a few drops. You want a fairly high dilution. I use more for scent than anything else, and essential oils are strongly scented so you only need a drop or to.

I tend to use 2-3 drops per 50 ml of carrier oil.
There are lots of Essential oils you shouldn't use if pregnant, so check carefully if that's a possibility.

*Wednesday*
February 24th, 2018, 07:32 AM

Be careful with vitamins. Unless you actually need them due to deficiency, they won't "make" your hair grow any faster. Expect healthier hair with vitamins. I don't care how long and beautiful a Youtuber's hair is touting to, "take biotin my hair grew 5 inches in 2 months." Good diet and physical activity can help you grow to your maximum potential. Vitamins can certainly help with the quality of hair. Don't get caught into the hype of advertisements and people claiming their hair or hair can grow 2 inches in a month. When someone can show me the evidence on this, I"ll take it under consideration :) until then it is heresay.

As others have mentioned and will concur :toast: it is really patience and coupled with good hair habits (easy on the heat and chemicals).

maegalcarwen
February 26th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Length retention, if your hair is breaking as fast as it grows you'll never see growth.

Any tips on this? I feel like I need to work on that...

lapushka
February 26th, 2018, 07:03 AM

It means EOs can't be used just from the bottle. It is only a few drops you need to use and you need to add them in to a bigger bottle of regular oil. EOs are meant to add on to an existing oil, it isn't an oil to be used straight up, as hayheadsbird already explained.

EOs aren't an oil you can use as is, they are like herbs you add on to a dish, does that make it clearer? :)

ETA; this link makes it more clearer, perhaps:
https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/dilutingessentialoils.asp

Dark40
February 26th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Patience and proper care is the key to faster hair growth.

ipickee
February 26th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Patience and proper care is the key to faster hair growth.
In a nutshell :)

lunasea
February 26th, 2018, 08:34 PM
https://youtu.be/x-ciMuVhDXA

maborosi
February 26th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Start early with gentle care and oiling, etc. So you can form these habits early on while your hair is shorter, it'll be easier in the future when you have long hair!
Sleep with a silk cap or silk pillowcase to help cut down on friction, and just be really nice to your hair from the get go. You'll have less splits to contend with later on!

lapushka
February 27th, 2018, 06:48 AM
That video, lunasea, is such a classic! Love it!

lunasea
February 27th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Thank you, it’s the only method that has worked for me.

Margarita
February 27th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Im thinking about starting applying castor oil, and i'll try this time to use a small amound on my fingers and put in on my scalp. I think vitamins are not that good, and its rather expensive, so i decided not to use any.

nycelle
February 27th, 2018, 10:32 AM
https://youtu.be/x-ciMuVhDXA

Best.Product.Ever :lol:
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find around here.. :laugh:

lunasea
February 27th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I've found it to be in short supply everywhere. You just gotta make it yourself. :p

ipickee
February 27th, 2018, 01:33 PM
You COULD try monistat.....There's a monstrous thread on here. It's worked for quite a few people, according to their posts.

nycelle
February 27th, 2018, 01:49 PM
You COULD try monistat.....There's a monstrous thread on here. It's worked for quite a few people, according to their posts.

I saw that thread. I don't understand how it's possible though. The active ingedient in Monistat is Miconazole Nitrate - an anti-fungal that's used in some dandruff shampoos, and my dogs medicated anti-yeast shampoo. Unless you have a condition that warrants
this particular medication, I wouldn't put it on my head. In theory, it should help with dandruff though.

ipickee
February 27th, 2018, 01:56 PM
I saw that thread. I don't understand how it's possible though. The active ingedient in Monistat is Miconazole Nitrate - an anti-fungal that's used in some dandruff shampoos, and my dogs medicated anti-yeast shampoo. Unless you have a condition that warrants
this particular medication, I wouldn't put it on my head. In theory, it should help with dandruff though.

It's a standard YMMV situation, but plenty of people have had success. However, to each their own, and at the end of the day, the only tried and true method is TIME! :disco: