PDA

View Full Version : Split ends

calmyogi
February 21st, 2018, 10:42 AM
Iím almost positive this has been asked before but I couldnít find anything. Is it normal for some hair types to always have some split ends?

nycelle
February 21st, 2018, 11:08 AM
I think the drier the hair the more potential for split ends, but that goes for any hair type.

Reyn127
February 21st, 2018, 11:15 AM
I don't think there's any type of hair that will necessarily always have splits, but some types can definitely be more susceptible to damage. Generally very fine hair, and/or hair with tight curls tend to get a little more beat up, I believe. But the way you handle your hair can make a big difference in that.

Also, constantly having splits might point to your hair scissors (if you've been using any) might not be sharp enough or properly aligned.

samanthaa
February 21st, 2018, 12:29 PM
I think my fine hair is more prone to splits. My hair is riddled with them, and I just leave them alone. I've accepted that I'll always have them.

That said, they're waaaaaay less noticeable than someone with coarse hair. Sometimes you can see split ends on course hair from many feet away. Mine you kinda have to search up close to see them.

Margarita
February 21st, 2018, 12:35 PM
Thin hair are prone easily to split ends, no matter if its naturally straight. The same goes for dry hair as well as heavy bleached hair. Ironically, hair are prone to split ends if you sleep with your hair down because free hair gets rubbed while you sleep and then split ends begin to appear.

unheardletters
February 21st, 2018, 12:41 PM
I always have splits. I treat my hair kindly. I gave up combs and brushes, I always wear up, I do deep treatments weekly, etc. But I still have literally thousands of split ends (probably 1/4 to 1/3 of my hairs have splits, not always at the ends). Even after spending all day cutting all the split ends out, I will have them all over again in a very short time. And I’ve tried several types of hair scissors from cheaper ones to very expensive. Oddly, my hair is coarse and wavy. It should be resilient to splits, but no matter what I try I still get a ton of split ends.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 21st, 2018, 01:01 PM
Yes, I do think some hair can be prone to getting split ends. If you are always gentle with your hair, keep it moisturised and wear it up to protect it, and use hairdressers' scissors for your trimming and still get split ends, then itis possible that you will always get them. This is assuming, too, that you don't, or have not been using heat tools on your hair.

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 01:28 PM
I agree with the fact that the drier it is the more "prone" it is to splitting; that is why I moisturize the *crap* out of it. Double conditioning, oil rinse, LOC/LCO method, and I haven't had them in quite a while! Not in years! But then again, I am not a person that is likely to have a lot of splits in the first place.

ETA: I do have F hair, quite F, in fact. Maybe it's also the thickness of the strand that matters? :?:

Bambi
February 21st, 2018, 01:51 PM
I agree with the fact that the drier it is the more "prone" it is to splitting; that is why I moisturize the *crap* out of it. Double conditioning, oil rinse, LOC/LCO method, and I haven't had them in quite a while! Not in years! But then again, I am not a person that is likely to have a lot of splits in the first place.

ETA: I do have F hair, quite F, in fact. Maybe it's also the thickness of the strand that matters? :?:

I follow your advice, works so well.

chomsky
February 21st, 2018, 02:39 PM
I this some hair is prone to splitting. I don't think it's got much to do with how straight/wavy/curly it is, or how well they treat it, some hair just splits. :shrug: My hair has never really split, only when it was severely heat damaged, and that took *years* to get to that point (and a lot of bleaching and dying).

I guess it's a bit like some people having nails that just break no matter what they do?

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 02:56 PM
I follow your advice, works so well.

I'm glad it works for you, Bambi. :) :flower: I'm starting to wonder how much of it is dependent on individual strand thickness as well. Hmm...

calmyogi
February 21st, 2018, 03:18 PM
I was just curious what others might say because I take good care of my hair. No heat, except very occasionally, I sleep on silk or satin with my hair in either a braid or a bun. When I wear it loose I’m very mindful of it. I think it’s mainly new growth that splits or something because the split hairs will be much shorter than the rest of my hair. Or maybe it’s pieces breaking off. The only thing I have ever found that has kept my hair from splitting 3 weeks after I got it trimmed it the it’s a 10 miracle leave in product. But, even with that it eventually splits. Thank you everyone for your input.

calmyogi
February 21st, 2018, 03:20 PM
I also plop with a t shirt to dry it, As well as either use hair sticks, only soft nylon hair ties, and a tangle teezer or wide toothed comb to brush it.

nycelle
February 21st, 2018, 03:27 PM
I was just curious what others might say because I take good care of my hair. No heat, except very occasionally, I sleep on silk or satin with my hair in either a braid or a bun. When I wear it loose I’m very mindful of it. I think it’s mainly new growth that splits or something because the split hairs will be much shorter than the rest of my hair. Or maybe it’s pieces breaking off. The only thing I have ever found that has kept my hair from splitting 3 weeks after I got it trimmed it the it’s a 10 miracle leave in product. But, even with that it eventually splits. Thank you everyone for your input.

The time this happened to me, that I saw split ends a few weeks after a haircut, it was because the stylist I used had dull scissors. My old stylist moved, and I went the cheap route- thinking all I need is a trim so they can't screw it up.
I was wrong.
When I found my new one, I asked her about her scissors and how often she gets them sharpened. She laughed but gave me the brand name, and says she send them off twice a year..lol.. I remember looking them up and they were as pro as you can get.

calmyogi
February 21st, 2018, 03:46 PM
The time this happened to me, that I saw split ends a few weeks after a haircut, it was because the stylist I used had dull scissors. My old stylist moved, and I went the cheap route- thinking all I need is a trim so they can't screw it up.
I was wrong.
When I found my new one, I asked her about her scissors and how often she gets them sharpened. She laughed but gave me the brand name, and says she send them off twice a year..lol.. I remember looking them up and they were as pro as you can get.

I would consider this but it has been an on going thing since I ever started paying attention to my hair (about the time I joined here) and I have had different people cut my hair in this time.

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I did a massive s&d session yesterday and noticed I had some splits. Racking my brain to work out what was causing it. Only thing I can come up with is they are all around bsl length, or pretty much where I tie off my sleep braid. I've been using a satin scrunchie, which is about the most hair friendly option I could come up with. The splits seam to be in the fine to medium hairs rather than the medium to corse hair, so I'm thinking its time to go back to sleeping loose till I can come up with a better option. No splits in the longest and oldest hair though, which is the end of the tassel and so I'm thinking that's my best option in the meantime!

desu
March 4th, 2018, 08:44 AM
If you have very thin hair strands like me then it's almost impossible to not have some. :P

Twig
March 4th, 2018, 06:16 PM
I greatly reduced the splits and breaks after I stopped chemically treating and blow drying, cut back on the shampoo, started deep treating and began oiling the ends. Winter is really tough on my hair.

Mandyk
March 5th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I did a massive s&d session yesterday and noticed I had some splits. Racking my brain to work out what was causing it. Only thing I can come up with is they are all around bsl length, or pretty much where I tie off my sleep braid. I've been using a satin scrunchie, which is about the most hair friendly option I could come up with. The splits seam to be in the fine to medium hairs rather than the medium to corse hair, so I'm thinking its time to go back to sleeping loose till I can come up with a better option. No splits in the longest and oldest hair though, which is the end of the tassel and so I'm thinking that's my best option in the meantime!

Do you cover your braid when you sleep? I've braided my hair to sleep in for years, but about 4-5 months ago I started making sure I covered my braid as well (tucking into a silk night cap or wrapping my head and the hair in a silk scarf) and I find that my ends look a lot less frazzled come morning.

hayheadsbird
March 6th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Do you cover your braid when you sleep? I've braided my hair to sleep in for years, but about 4-5 months ago I started making sure I covered my braid as well (tucking into a silk night cap or wrapping my head and the hair in a silk scarf) and I find that my ends look a lot less frazzled come morning.
No, no covering. I use a silk pillowcase though and am actually finding no more tangles loose than in comparison to having it braided. I'm an active sleeper right now ( more than normal!) due to baby bumps getting in the way, so I suspect the constant friction against the tie as I toss and try to turn could be a factor.

Mandyk
March 6th, 2018, 07:37 PM
No, no covering. I use a silk pillowcase though and am actually finding no more tangles loose than in comparison to having it braided. I'm an active sleeper right now ( more than normal!) due to baby bumps getting in the way, so I suspect the constant friction against the tie as I toss and try to turn could be a factor.

I toss and turn a lot too. Sleeping with my hair covered has made a lot of difference for me, but I also don’t have a silk pillowcase. If loose doesn’t seem to be damaging, but wearing a hair tie is, I agree you should maybe just sleep loose for now. Also congrats on the baby!

hayheadsbird
March 10th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Okay, new theory.
Thinking back, I always notice more splits in spring. This is due to better light for finding them!
I think the actual cause though might be very old heat damage. I have a few white dots and just chop them out as I find them. I haven't used heat on my hair for years either, but I suspect that the splits are actually coming from the old white dots final giving up and breaking. If it was something I was doing to my hair now or fairly recently surely I'd be seeing it in my longest layers as they must be the oldest and most delicate? (which have long been s&d'd clear) I'm sure it's not my sissors as they get used to cut my fringe and there's no issues there.

Ultimately there's not even THAT many, because you do have to hunt for them.

So new plan, carry on with s&d to get them clear, don't fret about it, and silk sleep cap on the way to see if that helps overnight!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 10th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I seem to always have splits, no matter what I do. *shrug*

lapushka
March 10th, 2018, 02:46 PM
I have been oil rinsing for over 10 weeks now, almost 20, over fall & winter mostly and I find that the more moisture I put into my hair, especially in times when we have rougher weather... it helps me. Not that I go searching for splits. I just generally sometimes look at my hair, and I never find any.

enting
March 11th, 2018, 07:35 AM
~snip~
I guess it's a bit like some people having nails that just break no matter what they do?

I think this has a lot to do with it. Different people's hair grows differently. I could see how some people's hair might simply be more prone to separating/splitting. I do think that care and attention to texture can affect it, too, but for some people I could see how nature might have just given them hair that likes to split. It's all about the sulphur bonds anyway, right?

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 15th, 2018, 01:39 AM
I think this has a lot to do with it. Different people's hair grows differently. I could see how some people's hair might simply be more prone to separating/splitting. I do think that care and attention to texture can affect it, too, but for some people I could see how nature might have just given them hair that likes to split. It's all about the sulphur bonds anyway, right?

My nails split really easy too, so I wonder if theres a correlation.
However I tried vitamins and it didnt work for me.

Clara7
March 15th, 2018, 03:13 AM
I think it is normal. But there are some ways to prevent it.
Try to minimise daily manipulation of your hair, like excessive brushing and don't comb your hair after the shower. Water causes your hair shaft to sweel, so it's at its weakest point during this time.
If this is the only time you can get a comb through your hair, start from the ends and work your way up.
Also, always spray your hair with a heat protector prior to using any heated appliances and try to apply a hydrating hair mask once a week to keep your hair healthy and strong.

lapushka
March 15th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I think it is normal. But there are some ways to prevent it.
Try to minimise daily manipulation of your hair, like excessive brushing and don't comb your hair after the shower. Water causes your hair shaft to sweel, so it's at its weakest point during this time.
If this is the only time you can get a comb through your hair, start from the ends and work your way up.
Also, always spray your hair with a heat protector prior to using any heated appliances and try to apply a hydrating hair mask once a week to keep your hair healthy and strong.

Plenty of wavies & curlies brush their hair wet or damp, as they can't brush it dry. It depends person to person.

Dark40
March 15th, 2018, 09:25 PM
I also think that fine hair is prone to splitting than thick hair. But the advice about if you're being gentle with it and not using any heat tools on it. It hardly won't ever split or get damaged. Mine hardly ever get any splits. That's because I condition, condition, and condition. I also seal in a moisturizer as well.

HopelssRomantic
March 15th, 2018, 09:48 PM

I agree, I get fewer tangles and issues sleeping with loose hair as well. Though in the last few weeks I've been finding more and more splits. And even though I seem to always have split ends, it's still really frustrating. I plan to attack them this weekend, but at least now I've got some ideas on what can help prevent them from getting so bad next time.

Blue Mermaid
March 16th, 2018, 01:44 AM
I'm having a similar issue. I decided to trim more frequently, and it seemed to help, but even with extensive S&D I'm finding tons of splits- only at the nape of my neck and around my face, though. Must be something I'm doing to damage my hair. The hair at the nape of my neck has feathered splits half way up the shaft or more. :scared:No wonder I've been having serious tangling issues.

Anyone have issues with damage at the nape and around the face? Did you figure out the cause?

hayheadsbird
March 16th, 2018, 01:45 AM
I agree, I get fewer tangles and issues sleeping with loose hair as well. Though in the last few weeks I've been finding more and more splits. And even though I seem to always have split ends, it's still really frustrating. I plan to attack them this weekend, but at least now I've got some ideas on what can help prevent them from getting so bad next time.
I'm kinds at a loss, as I'm now wondering if it's down to dryness. My skin is soo dry right now, and the switch to weekly washing was really sudden with hormone changes (thats what I'm putting the sudden switch down to anyway)
I've started oiling the length and using a mister bottle to try and keep the length moisturised to see if that helps any.

Lady Stardust
March 16th, 2018, 04:23 AM
I'm kinds at a loss, as I'm now wondering if it's down to dryness. My skin is soo dry right now, and the switch to weekly washing was really sudden with hormone changes (thats what I'm putting the sudden switch down to anyway)
I've started oiling the length and using a mister bottle to try and keep the length moisturised to see if that helps any.

Are you pregnant? If so, congratulations! I suddenly switched to weekly washing when I was pregnant. I didn't notice dryness at the time but I had a very short pixie cut, and started to grow my hair when my baby was born. That's when I noticed how dry it had become, but I changed shampoo too so I can't be sure of the cause. I do think it was partly down to hormones.

HopelssRomantic
March 17th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Are you pregnant? If so, congratulations! I suddenly switched to weekly washing when I was pregnant. I didn't notice dryness at the time but I had a very short pixie cut, and started to grow my hair when my baby was born. That's when I noticed how dry it had become, but I changed shampoo too so I can't be sure of the cause. I do think it was partly down to hormones.

Agreed, it could definitely be the hormones, but also (depending on where you are) the season changing. Right now where I live, we're getting a lot of rain, so it's hard to keep up with the frizzies, and I think that may be contributing to the splits as well, especially when it gets crazy and I have to keep it tied up all day. My hair does Not like the rain.
I just did a Shea Moisture treatment mask last night and slept with it in, so after I wash and let it dry today I'll do some s&d, hopefully it'll help!

hayheadsbird
March 17th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Yup, less than 2 months to go now, so wondering if things will switch back after birth or if I'm going to have to permanently change my skin care routine as well!

Agreed, it could definitely be the hormones, but also (depending on where you are) the season changing. Right now where I live, we're getting a lot of rain, so it's hard to keep up with the frizzies, and I think that may be contributing to the splits as well, especially when it gets crazy and I have to keep it tied up all day. My hair does Not like the rain.
I just did a Shea Moisture treatment mask last night and slept with it in, so after I wash and let it dry today I'll do some s&d, hopefully it'll help!
It's winter here, and regardless of time of year the only real change is the amount of wind and sunlight!

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
March 17th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Hi!
Since you are taking good care of your hair, then maybe consider looking health-wise into the things you ingest to help with the splits. Most of the times hair and nails are the first to suffer from poor health and an insufficient diet.

Kake
March 17th, 2018, 02:52 PM
I don't get split ends even though I have fine hair. I do have and get other damage, mostly in my fringe from heat and glasses etc. I'm only APL, I wonder if I'll get splits as my hair gets longer/older.

Lady Stardust
March 17th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Yup, less than 2 months to go now, so wondering if things will switch back after birth or if I'm going to have to permanently change my skin care routine as well!

It's winter here, and regardless of time of year the only real change is the amount of wind and sunlight!

Hopefully it'll settle down eventually! Congratulations :-)

thunderseed
March 17th, 2018, 11:25 PM

I'm going to try all of those things in my routine and see if it makes a difference!