PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clarify your hair?

Wavybrunetteuk
February 21st, 2018, 05:01 AM
Wondering how often I should clarify my hair to avoid product build up.a

MsMegMmk
February 21st, 2018, 05:05 AM
I use Kenra Clarifying Shampoo once a month. I'll only use it more if my hair is feeling strange and I can't figure out why.

Wavybrunetteuk
February 21st, 2018, 05:06 AM
Also, I am using sulfate-free shampoo, silicone free conditioner, leave-in conditioner and oil and deep-condition every week.

So I ought to clarify my hair, right?

The only problem is... where I live, it is hard to find sulfate-free clarifying shampoo, so can I use sulfate shampoo to clarify??

Wavybrunetteuk
February 21st, 2018, 05:12 AM
MsMegMmk thank you, Hon

TatsuOni
February 21st, 2018, 05:41 AM
You have to use sulfates if you want to clarify.

I don't clarify at all.

Beeboo123
February 21st, 2018, 06:20 AM
Clarify = using sulfate shampoos.

I co-wash and haven’t clarified in almost 5 months. It doesn’t seem necessary for me

nycelle
February 21st, 2018, 06:30 AM
I used a sulfate free clarifying shampoo last week - I think the activated charcoal "may" have been the clarifying agent but I'm not positive.

I can say that my hair was so clean it actually squeaked. Was also very soft and bouncy when it dried.
Have never had that with any other shampoo/conditioner I've used.

That was the first time I used a clarifying shampoo in years. I think I'll use it once a month or so now.

I won't try the sulfate ones. From everything I've read they're very hard on the hair. Since mine is already on the dry side, and my scalp doesn't love sulfates, I think it would hurt more than help me at this point.

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 06:54 AM
Each head of hair is different. Maybe try until your hair feels a little "odd" (oily, gunky, flaky, etc.) and then adapt your routine to clarify well before that ever happens again.

I weekly wash & weekly clarify. Sometimes I wash the lengths as well, other times I just let the suds travel down. I have been doing oil rinses (rinse-out oil see signature) for 14 weeks in a row now (fall/winter especially) and I do need to wash my lengths a little more, I feel.

But it's different for everybody. It also depends on the frequency you wash and with what other method (CO-wash, sulfate-free, etc.) - so it's anyone's guess really.

At least 1 to 2 times a month is not too much, though.

Wavybrunetteuk
February 21st, 2018, 07:16 AM
Thank you everybody :) my hair seems fine at the moment so maybe I don't need to clarify (yet). Thank you again!

embee
February 21st, 2018, 07:37 AM
I have never knowingly clarified my hair. Not in my whole 70+ years. ;)

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 08:36 AM
I have never knowingly clarified my hair. Not in my whole 70+ years. ;)

Yes but these days you have milder shampoos, and CO-washes and some heads of hair need to clear it out with a sulfate shampoo, especially if you still use silicone products. Some silicones are water soluble, some you can get rid of without sulfates, but there are a few determined ones that need a sulfate wash, and even butters and waxes can build up on hair.

Rowdy
February 21st, 2018, 09:00 AM
I use sulfate free shampoo only on the roots and silicone containing conditioner and serums on the length. If I feel like I have some buildup I just don't add any oil or serums for a wash or two and let the conditioner take care of it. (I also immediately stop using the product that gave me buildup) I only clarify before I do a keratin treatment which is every 6 - 10 months atm, but that is only so the keratin sticks well, I would not do it otherwise. I find it less damaging to just not use products that give me buildup than to strip my hair with clarifying on a regular basis.

A lot of it just depend on your hair and lifestyle needs.

Eta: If you feel like you have buildup maybe try just using your normal shampoo and not the conditioner, leave in, deep treatment and oil for a wash. If it feels better after that you might not need a clarifying shampoo.

Natalina
February 21st, 2018, 10:02 AM
I used to clarify every two weeks (I wash my hair twice a week), but my scalp is acting up right now due to hot weather so I'm going back to clarifying once a week like I did in the past. I use diluted sulfate shampoo (TRESemme Deep Cleansing), and mostly just focus on cleansing my scalp while my lengths get the suds.

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2018, 10:16 AM
I use sulphate shampoos but still clarify once a month (Joico or a silver shampoo) because I use cones, Biosilk Serum at least twice a day, and occasionally other products for texture/wispies etc

ETA: approaching 2020 I now clarify quarterly :)

Frankenstein
February 21st, 2018, 12:27 PM
I clarify once a week or once every two weeks depending on what conditioner I’m using (very prone to buildup hair)

Carolyn
February 21st, 2018, 01:06 PM
I don't have a clarifying schedule. My hair tells me when it needs it. It gets lank and coated with no shine. I use shampoo that is labeled as clarifying. I have never had the same results simply using just a sulfate shampoo. I can't tell you with the extra ingredients or ingredient would be. It doesn't matter if I get the results I want. I always use a heavy moisturizing conditioner after washing with a clarifying shampoo. A clarifying shampoo by nature strips your hair of all the cling on gunk. The moisture needs to be restored. The day I do this I get bouncin' and behavin' hair as the old commercial used to say.

ipickee
February 21st, 2018, 01:17 PM
Not often enough, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. People tend to drop frequent pearls of wisdom in these threads. :popcorn:

MoonRabbit
February 21st, 2018, 04:56 PM
Once or twice a month. I get horrible build up.

Flowerness
February 21st, 2018, 07:04 PM
I wash with a sulfate shampoo every time, and a special clarifying shampoo (I use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo) once a month. We have terrible hard water, and I am currently using lots of cones. For some reason my hair gets build up crazy fast. I just got a new bottle and am going to use it next time. I use it on the scalp and move the suds down the hair. Then, I follow it up with a deep conditioner. I notice the difference right away, and nothing else seems to work as well. I also like to use an ACV wash, on my roots now and again, to get rid of the hard water build up whenever I can. Instant happy hair! (Some magazine articles say to use it every week. Some people never use it at all. See what you hair does and likes.)

Kaya
February 21st, 2018, 07:43 PM
I clarify regularly these days, though I haven't always.

Combating hard water in England required me to chelate on a regular basis and I've more or less carried on that habit here in the States, despite not being entirely necessary. I enjoy the results of using the Redken Cleansing Creme, so I figure I'll carry on. These days, I clarify/chelate whenever my hair starts feeling a bit off, not it's usual soft and manageable self. Probably a result of my CO-washing and leave-in conditioner habits. A nice clarifying wash sets my hair and scalp back to right and the cycle starts over. :o

bleu
February 21st, 2018, 08:23 PM
I clarify once a month, usually with VO5 clarifying shampoo but sometimes I'll just use any shampoo with sulfates. The rest of the time I use sulfate free shampoo. My hair loves cones so I get build up and once a month seems to do the trick.

Breeze
February 21st, 2018, 08:33 PM
So.. I've never done it before. How do you know when you should clarify? Are there any drawbacks if you do it when you shouldn't? Thanks! <3

TatsuOni
February 25th, 2018, 01:44 PM
You have to use sulfates if you want to clarify.

I don't clarify at all.

Perhaps I should add that I've CO-washed my hair for five years and never clarified it during this time.

ExpectoPatronum
February 25th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I clarify once a month, or right before coloring my hair.

Dark40
February 25th, 2018, 05:52 PM
I only clarify once a month. My hair doesn't need that much clarifying. I co-wash the majority of the time, and I use sulfate shampoo once or twice a week. My hair is fine.

school of fish
February 25th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I wash daily with a sulphate shampoo, so I figure clarifying pretty much takes care of itself ;) That said, I do clarify once in a while with Neutrogena's anti-residue shampoo and my hair always feels better for it - maybe once every 6 months or so, I haven't kept proper track... My hair is crazy build-uppey and actually prefers to be 'stripped' over being 'nourished', but even with the daily sulphates it seems to appreciate the occasional clarifying. I've been meaning to do it a little more regularly - I might try every 3 months or so :)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 25th, 2018, 06:08 PM
I generally clarify once a month - or when I remember to :p

pahbee
February 25th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Maybe every two months? Whenever my hair just keeps on feeling weighed down and my scalp gunky... then I do a heavy oiling session followed by clarifying swimmers shampoo.

MusicalSpoons
February 26th, 2018, 07:12 AM
On the rare occasion my hair starts being more tangly and grabby, and isn't solved by an ordinary wash.

I use sulphate- and silicone-free shampoo and conditioner, and currently mineral oil as a rinse-out oil. I've only ever clarified the ends, from the neck down - that way if I do use an SLES shampoo, my scalp doesn't suffer. Actually the last time I clarified was with a sulphate-free shampoo I used to use and my scalp hair loved it, but my scalp hated it! It also always left my lengths kinda dry so I was fairly sure it would do a good job of clarifying. It seemed to work :) I should also add I left it on the lengths for a few minutes before rinsing.

nycelle
May 18th, 2018, 04:37 AM
I finally understand what build-up is ever since going completely sulfate and cone free. I was great for about 7 or weeks, then a week or so ago my hair got all heavy and tacky feeling. I thought at first it was my products, but then decided
to clarify (with an activated charcoal shampoo) yesterday. WOW, what a difference. My hair is back to normal.

So for me, sulfate free products mean I need to clarify regularly.

Glitch
May 18th, 2018, 05:47 PM
It really depends on a lot of things for me, including the weather and how dirty my hair has gotten. Sometimes it's every 3 washes (I wash every 3-4 days), sometimes after many more. Usually it's relatively frequently though.

lithostoic
May 18th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I used to do it once a month but now that I'm washing more frequently, I think I'll do it every 2 weeks. For me, clarifying just means I use a harsher shampoo and use it all the way down my hair. Every few months I'll use a sulfate shampoo in case of any buildup (I use a dimethicone serum or hairspray sometimes).

Stray_mind
May 19th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Whenever my hair starts feeling weighed down, excessively oily or weird in general. It's usually once or twice a month.

snolol
December 23rd, 2019, 10:26 PM
I finally understand what build-up is ever since going completely sulfate and cone free. I was great for about 7 or weeks, then a week or so ago my hair got all heavy and tacky feeling. I thought at first it was my products, but then decided
to clarify (with an activated charcoal shampoo) yesterday. WOW, what a difference. My hair is back to normal.

So for me, sulfate free products mean I need to clarify regularly.

So glad I found this thread and this post before jumping right into cone free! I have very fine / thin hair and a pretty sensitive scalp... wondering if cones are the culprit of all of the above, however...

0xalis
December 23rd, 2019, 11:14 PM
I have never clarified in my life.
I don't have any memory of any problems with build up, either.
And we live somewhere with hard water! Probably not the hardest water, but hard.
I currently only use sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner.
If my hair tells me it needs clarifying, I'll try it out.

ETA: WELL.... I do use a Selsun blue knockoff shampoo every once in a while when my scalp starts getting dry and itchy, and that has sulfates?
Would that clarify my hair? I always use tons of conditioner after though... I honestly don't even know how clarifying works :confused:
I only use it once a month, or less. I was diagnosed with scalp psoriasis many years ago, and that's the only treatment I've used. Works for me though.

MusicalSpoons
December 24th, 2019, 02:52 AM
So.. I've never done it before. How do you know when you should clarify? Are there any drawbacks if you do it when you shouldn't? Thanks! <3

I know this was posted a year and a half ago but I don't think it was answered: generally if your hair feels more tangly than normal, or heavy/limp, or if it feels rather 'off'. The only drawback might be making it feel a bit dry if you clarify without needing to, but it might also be fine, it depends on the hair!

On the rare occasion my hair starts being more tangly and grabby, and isn't solved by an ordinary wash.

I use sulphate- and silicone-free shampoo and conditioner, and currently mineral oil as a rinse-out oil. I've only ever clarified the ends, from the neck down - that way if I do use an SLES shampoo, my scalp doesn't suffer. Actually the last time I clarified was with a sulphate-free shampoo I used to use and my scalp hair loved it, but my scalp hated it! It also always left my lengths kinda dry so I was fairly sure it would do a good job of clarifying. It seemed to work :) I should also add I left it on the lengths for a few minutes before rinsing.

I now pre-poo with babassu oil, C-W-ROO-C and I now tend to clarify at the first sign of grabbiness - or if it's not solved in one wash, thinking about it. For me, clarifying means shampooing my lengths with my normal mild sulphate-free shampoo, though I do have a chelating shampoo (no more drying or stripping than any other SLES shampoo) if it turns out I need something stronger. On average I probably shampoo my lengths every three or four months.

I went for a bit chelating every month (and by default, clarifying) to see if it made a difference but I haven't kept up with it. The only difference I noticed was my ends felt drier quicker, but that could equally have been the different conditioner I was using.

shelomit
December 24th, 2019, 08:28 AM
About once a month, but when my hair seems to want it varies a lot.

snolol
December 24th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Would that clarify my hair? I always use tons of conditioner after though... I honestly don't even know how clarifying works :confused:
I only use it once a month, or less. I was diagnosed with scalp psoriasis many years ago, and that's the only treatment I've used. Works for me though.

From what I understand, what you’re doing is essentially clarifying! i.e. removing buildup leftover from your sulfate and silicone free products with a product with sulfates= emulsifying any non-water-soluable debris and washing it out of your hair. Lots of people talk about products with sulfates as too drying or irritating because they’re also removing the natural oils your scalp produces. In moderation, though, they can be really beneficial to deep cleanse (“clarify”) the scalp. Many people feel like they’re “starting fresh” or “resetting” their hair if they had previously been experience lank, dull, itchy, confused, or u predictable hair.

Anybody- correct me if I’m wrong but that’s just what I’ve gathered from my personal research / experience!

shelomit
December 24th, 2019, 04:25 PM
From what I understand, what you’re doing is essentially clarifying! i.e. removing buildup leftover from your sulfate and silicone free products with a product with sulfates= emulsifying any non-water-soluable debris and washing it out of your hair. Lots of people talk about products with sulfates as too drying or irritating because they’re also removing the natural oils your scalp produces. In moderation, though, they can be really beneficial to deep cleanse (“clarify”) the scalp. Many people feel like they’re “starting fresh” or “resetting” their hair if they had previously been experience lank, dull, itchy, confused, or u predictable hair.

Anybody- correct me if I’m wrong but that’s just what I’ve gathered from my personal research / experience!

Yeah, clarifying basically = using a shampoo strong enough to "strip" your hair somewhat--doesn't necessarily have to be with a product that says "clarifying" on the bottle. And what is or isn't strong enough to clarify varies a lot by person, as does how prone we are to build-up. (I personally feel like I never get noticeable product buildup unless I accidentally use something with wax in it, just sebum buildup.)

SleepyTangles
December 24th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Right now, when I have to refresh my color (deposit only dye), so every 2 weeks.
I also used to clarify before henna (aka Once a month).

MusicalSpoons
December 24th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Yeah, clarifying basically = using a shampoo strong enough to "strip" your hair somewhat--doesn't necessarily have to be with a product that says "clarifying" on the bottle. And what is or isn't strong enough to clarify varies a lot by person, as does how prone we are to build-up. (I personally feel like I never get noticeable product buildup unless I accidentally use something with wax in it, just sebum buildup.)

Yep, exactly. That's why I tend to recommend a full shampooing (assuming the usual washing method is shampooing scalp only and letting it run through the lengths) with something non-buildup-y before seeking out anything special for clarifying. The worst that can happen is it not completely doing the job, but if it works then it saves having to find and buy anything extra.

Gabrielina
December 25th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Once a month (every 4 washes)

0xalis
December 26th, 2019, 12:13 AM

Yep, exactly. That's why I tend to recommend a full shampooing (assuming the usual washing method is shampooing scalp only and letting it run through the lengths) with something non-buildup-y before seeking out anything special for clarifying. The worst that can happen is it not completely doing the job, but if it works then it saves having to find and buy anything extra.

Thank you all, I think I understand much better now!
Ironically I think I am in need of a clarification soon! Co washed with the wrong conditioner :rolleyes:

Tinyponies
December 26th, 2019, 01:57 AM
Thank you all, I think I understand much better now!
Ironically I think I am in need of a clarification soon! Co washed with the wrong conditioner :rolleyes:

What was wrong about your conditioner, 0xalis? Just interested

0xalis
December 26th, 2019, 05:27 AM
What was wrong about your conditioner, 0xalis? Just interested

More than anything, timing. I used my slightly heavier conditioner (VO5 Extra Body With Collagen)
but I usually use my VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie for co washing when my hair is already a bit sebumy.
I have co washed before with the collagen one, but that was when my hair had been really dry.

I actually did just go clarify with the selsun blue and man my hair feels much better, and it's not even dry yet.
Same collagen conditioner on my ends since the selsun is quite strong, but Just my ends this time.
If my hair ends up being dry I'll just stretch my washing a bit.

Ylva
December 26th, 2019, 05:39 AM
I clarify about once a week or two, so relatively frequently, but I also wash relatively frequently - every 2-3 days usually. I tend to use a strong or sulfate-mild shampoo on my scalp and roots only and let the suds run through, and when clarifying, I use a sulfate shampoo on all of my hair undiluted. For me, having buildup means that my hair, especially from the mid-lengths down, gets very tacky and tangle-prone.

Vacurlylady
December 26th, 2019, 06:30 AM
I’ve been clarifying more recently. The longer my hair has gotten. (near BSL, not long in LHC lengths..) Two times a month maybe. I work in a factory that uses coolant and oils and I’m feeling my hair needing to be clarified a lot more. It feels soooo much better afterwards.

Kathie
May 30th, 2022, 03:45 PM
Reading through this and based on my own experience I don't clarify enough!

I usual wait until it feels like there is some sort of hair emergency with my ends and midlengths looking scraggly and tangling.

So I've set a 2 monthly schedule in my calandar and ordered deep conditioning treatments to follow.

Bat
May 30th, 2022, 03:56 PM
I usually clarify if my head feels itchy can be every second week to over a month

Kathie
May 30th, 2022, 04:03 PM
It was literally over a year ago since I last clarified, lol. I made the mistake of thinking that a SLS shampoo was enough.... the difference I got with an actual clarifying shampoo was emence!

I'm hoping a calandar reminder will help. But often those reminders pop up on my phone when I'm focused on something else and think "oh yeah- should do that" but don't. I'll see how I go.

momof3mary
May 30th, 2022, 04:44 PM
I clarify my hair every other day, it's a bit extra I know.

lapushka
May 31st, 2022, 05:13 AM
I clarify every wash, so every week. I figured, due to the styling products I use it's necessary. Mom yesterday washed her hair and she had brushed her hairspray out, but I was dreading it... She used a color care shampoo from Gliss Kur and the spray did not come out fully (tiny bit of flakeage). So I'm sticking to my clarifying as I use 3 layers of stylers on top of each other (LOC method). Not chancing it!

namarieyyy
May 31st, 2022, 07:20 AM
I use an SLS-based shampoo once a week to clarify. Prior to this it was every other day (horrifying, I know). I slowly worked my way up during the lockdowns so my scalp went through its adjustment phase smoothly at home. I'm not quite brave enough to go for every two weeks or 1x/month :eek: I live in the Philippines, and it's incredibly humid here (I've heard Florida weather is similar) and bacteria/microbe/sebum buildup is MUCH faster here compared to drier climates.

Bri-Chan
May 31st, 2022, 09:07 AM
Twice a month. I usually wash twice a week, sometimes less. It's more like every 4-5 washes.

Gwendolynn
May 31st, 2022, 01:01 PM
I have never clarified except for when dying my hair. I also don't use products so perhaps that helps with preventing build-up. No sulfates or silicones and no after wash products. (This until I stopped washing my hair alltogether).

Glitch
June 2nd, 2022, 12:40 PM
I use an SLS-shampoo once a week to clarify. Prior to this it was every other day (horrifying, I know). I slowly worked my way up during the lockdowns so my scalp went through its adjustment phase smoothly at home. I'm not quite brave enough to go for every two weeks or 1x/month :eek: I live in the Philippines, and it's incredibly humid here (I've heard Florida weather is similar) and bacteria/microbe/sebum buildup is MUCH faster here compared to drier climates.

It’s not inherently bad to use an SLS shampoo every other day! For instance, in an ideal world (if I wasn’t so busy), that’s what I would do on the regular as that’s what best suits my hair, especially with all the oiling I do. If I let it go for a week, the sebum would be drowning all my fine hair :p

I try my best to wash my hair every 2-4 days, though 4 is a stretch and my hair is definitely greasy all over by then. Going sulphate-free is alright once in a while for me, but it ultimately doesn’t suit my scalp for very long. I also work out a lot (aka sweat a lot) so that’s a big factor as well. Lots of naturally oily skin too hahah, oil galore!

knobbly
June 2nd, 2022, 03:00 PM
I’m taking the original question to mean clarifying one’s length and the answer is: almost never. I do use a sulfate shampoo often, more then every other wash I’d say. I never scrub or even gently massage it down my length with my hands though. I’d only do that if I’d gotten it dunked in something gross. Product buildup isn’t an issue for me at all, for whatever reason. I do use plenty of products on the reg that are known to build up (dimethicone, butters, mineral oil) but they come out with just my normal shampoo process I guess.

RedIris
June 2nd, 2022, 04:25 PM
I’m taking the original question to mean clarifying one’s length and the answer is: almost never. I do use a sulfate shampoo often, more then every other wash I’d say. I never scrub or even gently massage it down my length with my hands though. I’d only do that if I’d gotten it dunked in something gross. Product buildup isn’t an issue for me at all, for whatever reason. I do use plenty of products on the reg that are known to build up (dimethicone, butters, mineral oil) but they come out with just my normal shampoo process I guess.

I'm the same. I pretty much never massage shampoo into my ends, I use copious amounts of silicones, and I never have a problem. I DID have a problem, however, when I was shampooing my lengths regularly. So if I ever was going to clarify my hair it would only be rarely. Too much shampoo on my lengths means tangled, snarly, crunchy hair for me