PDA

View Full Version : Natural hair in the Black Panther movie

Climber
February 20th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Who has seen the movie? The hair was gorgeous. Here are a couple of articles about the designs:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/style/black-panther-natural-hair.html

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/black-panther-natural-hair.html

Enjoy!

Jas
February 20th, 2018, 06:16 PM
They look amazing, I love that they kept it natural too!

ontheway
February 20th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Can't wait to see this movie. I'm not of African descent but I love seeing natural hair textures rather than all the same stuff.

AutobotsAttack
February 20th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Can’t wait to see the movie. Granted I’m kind of indifferent to the second blog that’s been posted. I get rather irritated when people demonize relaxers. Not all of us relax to try to fit in, not all of us relax because we are ashamed or ignorant about how to take care of natural hair, and not all of us relax because we have quote on quote “forgotten” our ethnic roots, or are trying to conform to other ethnic hair types.

And I kind of get that vibe from the lead hairdresser(despite her not directly saying that), who was answering the questions asked in the article. I could be wrong, she probably doesn’t view it that way, but that’s just what I felt. I could go on and on, but I figure there’s no need for that.

The hair styles themselves were lovely, and all the natural styles and textures are amazing.

*Wednesday*
February 21st, 2018, 11:19 AM
Wonderful article. Angela Bissette has such a timeless beauty.

I didn’t get that vibe emanating from the article, combativeness relaxed vs. natural. It appears the preference of hair (for the movie) with the actors were natural hair textures. My thought, I think the reason why such an emphasis is on natural hair textures these days is that kinks and coil curls have been demonized so long but is so versatile with so many styles was the wider context. Whomever is reading can interpret differently. However, I didn’t think the praise and admiration of one was connoting a meaning to the other extreme, that being relaxed hair.

I think most people (mostly women with 4 type hair) which chemically relax I think choose to do so for manageability reasons or they like straight hair like other ethic groups.

Nini
February 21st, 2018, 01:09 PM
I absolutely loved everything about the movie :) And with hair that's stick straight I've always been fascinated with curls!

ipickee
February 21st, 2018, 01:12 PM
This movie was a smorgasbord of amazing hair...

AutobotsAttack
February 21st, 2018, 01:59 PM
Wonderful article. Angela Bissette has such a timeless beauty.

I didn’t get that vibe emanating from the article, combativeness relaxed vs. natural. It appears the preference of hair (for the movie) with the actors were natural hair textures. My thought, I think the reason why such an emphasis is on natural hair textures these days is that kinks and coil curls have been demonized so long but is so versatile with so many styles was the wider context. Whomever is reading can interpret differently. However, I didn’t think the praise and admiration of one was connoting a meaning to the other extreme, that being relaxed hair.

I think most people (mostly women with 4 type hair) which chemically relax I think choose to do so for manageability reasons or they like straight hair like other ethic groups.

Well I could be wrong as I mentioned before.

Perhaps it’s just me, but anywhere else, espeacially on YouTube, when celebrating kinky curly hair of Afro centric texture, most people will praise one (being natural hair), and completely demonize the other, (relaxed hair).

I understand that Afro textured hair wasn’t looked at as beautiful in its own way, for a very long time. Believe me, I know. But In Todays world you’re as free as ever to express yourself. I used to not relax my hair for around five years and love everything about my texture.

I loved everything about the hairstyles, and process it took to make all the hair pieces. I just don’t find it necessary for people to constantly emphasize the “no relaxer” thing. I find “natural” hair to be the hair that grows out of your head. Regardless of if you color it, straighten it, curl it, or leave it alone.

I don’t mean to argue or take away from the articles or the movie itself. This is just something of my own opinion that is rather tangible.

Charms
February 21st, 2018, 03:40 PM
Climber, thanks for the links, and for making this positive thread appreciating the natural hair in Black Panther. I can't wait to see the movie! I can see that Angela Bassett is rockin' locs! YAY!

AutobotsAttack
February 21st, 2018, 04:11 PM
Climber, thanks for the links, and for making this positive thread appreciating the natural hair in Black Panther. I can't wait to see the movie! I can see that Angela Bassett is rockin' locs! YAY!

I wasn’t saying this post was anything other than positive.

If you weren’t talking to me, then feel free to ignore this.

*Wednesday*
February 21st, 2018, 06:24 PM
Well I could be wrong as I mentioned before.

Perhaps it’s just me, but anywhere else, espeacially on YouTube, when celebrating kinky curly hair of Afro centric texture, most people will praise one (being natural hair), and completely demonize the other, (relaxed hair).

I understand that Afro textured hair wasn’t looked at as beautiful in its own way, for a very long time. Believe me, I know. But In Todays world you’re as free as ever to express yourself. I used to not relax my hair for around five years and love everything about my texture.

I loved everything about the hairstyles, and process it took to make all the hair pieces. I just don’t find it necessary for people to constantly emphasize the “no relaxer” thing. I find “natural” hair to be the hair that grows out of your head. Regardless of if you color it, straighten it, curl it, or leave it alone.

I don’t mean to argue or take away from the articles or the movie itself. This is just something of my own opinion that is rather tangible.

You're not wrong, I just took away something different. I agree. Chemical relaxers can and are often frowned upon by those on the "fringes" of the Natural hair movement. I define "Natural" wearing it the way God made it. That extends with any ethnic group. When I see Mexican Indian women in my area wearing blond hair (they have natural black hair), they are not "natural." They have the most silky and shiny hair and I'm like, "Why?" You will always have people which stand in solidarity so much so it becomes overly political and too unbearable to have discussion. Their arguments are often the ones you mentioned as in not being in touch with roots etc.

I personally prefer the look of unprocessed 4T hair. It looks healthier, has sheen and wonderful density. Many African American/Afro Latina's that I do see (outside of YT), with 4T have the signature relaxed hair look. It is very dull looking, thin and the ends are often thinned or destroyed. I suppose from over-processing. My 14 year old son is partially Dominican (his dad is from the D.R) and he has a combo 4 a/b type hair. So I am biased. :)

Wavybrunetteuk
February 21st, 2018, 07:08 PM
I saw the second article and I love the hair! I wish I could do that with ny hair! I have always been super envious of type 3 and 4 hair. These girls look stunning and AMAZING.

AutobotsAttack
February 21st, 2018, 07:15 PM
You're not wrong, I just took away something different. I agree. Chemical relaxers can and are often frowned upon by those on the "fringes" of the Natural hair movement. I define "Natural" wearing it the way God made it. That extends with any ethnic group. When I see Mexican Indian women in my area wearing blond hair (they have natural black hair), they are not "natural." They have the most silky and shiny hair and I'm like, "Why?" You will always have people which stand in solidarity so much so it becomes overly political and too unbearable to have discussion. Their arguments are often the ones you mentioned as in not being in touch with roots etc.

I personally prefer the look of unprocessed 4T hair. It looks healthier, has sheen and wonderful density. Many African American/Afro Latina's that I do see (outside of YT), with 4T have the signature relaxed hair look. It is very dull looking, thin and the ends are often thinned or destroyed. I suppose from over-processing. My 14 year old son is partially Dominican (his dad is from the D.R) and he has a combo 4 a/b type hair. So I am biased. :)

All the more merrier. I enjoy hearing other people’s opinions and things they hold dear. I welcome all of that. Biased or not.

I just don’t like all the division. I’d like everyone to come together. Regardless of what they do to their hair.