PDA

View Full Version : Twice a Week Washers Club!

Crystawni
February 19th, 2018, 04:38 PM
For those of us whose hair washing routine isn't quite as frequent as daily or every other day, and not quite as stretched as weekly. Post here and share your yays and woes!

neko_kawaii
February 19th, 2018, 04:41 PM
If I stretch to once a week I get much more frequent scalp ache from updos.

nycelle
February 19th, 2018, 04:51 PM
For those of us whose hair washing routine isn't quite as frequent as daily or every other day, and not quite as stretched as weekly. Post here and share your yays and woes!

In the US, Bi-Weekly generally means every two weeks.
Guessing it means twice a week elsewhere?

But yes, I wash twice a week in colder weather, like right now. Generally every fourth day, or as soon as my scalp starts itching I wash.
In the summer it's more often.

Is there any benefit to going long periods between washes?

Crystawni
February 19th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Oh, yup! We use the term fortnightly here for every 2 weeks. In this case I'm referring to twice a week.

And I think the longer you leave your scalp to let the sebum travel, the better it is for your hair (but maybe not so much for your scalp, depending on its tolerance).

nycelle
February 19th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Oh, yup! We use the term fortnightly here for every 2 weeks. In this case I'm referring to twice a week.

And I think the longer you leave your scalp to let the sebum travel, the better it is for your hair (but maybe not so much for your scalp, depending on its tolerance).

Gotcha!

I see. Can't do that. Itchy scalp would drive me crazy.

lapushka
February 19th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Gotcha on the new thread; but the title could become confusing...

Crystawni
February 19th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Gotcha!

I see. Can't do that. Itchy scalp would drive me crazy.

Yeah, I can go three or four days before either the itchies say "wash me" or the greasies wax in (not a fan--I like my hair feeling fresh).

Gotcha on the new thread; but the title could become confusing...

It already has. :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 19th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Oh, I belong here :) I wash on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I grew up washing weekly, and could continue to do so if I wanted to but I do like the added freshness of a midweek wash.

Wendyp
February 19th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Im a twice a weeker! Wish I could do once a week but it’s yuckyville if I try it. I just switched to diluting my shampoo 80/20 and I do think I’m producing less oil. I’ll report back in a couple weeks.

Ophidian
February 19th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Twice-Weekly Washer's Club, perhaps?

I'm in the US and it is technically correct to use "bi-weekly" either in reference to twice a week OR every other week which isn't confusing at all :p.

Anyway, yes I belong here too! I can stretch to a week and have done so for long periods of time before, but it has a few major pitfalls for me:
1) Like neko, I get scalp aches even from loose braids and updos much more often if it's been several days since I washed.
2) I start to get dandruff around my hairline unless I do at least a scalp wash twice a week.
3) This is tentative, but my ends might tend to deal with the winter dryness better when I do a full wash twice a week. Still trying to figure this one out.

My routine is to do a full wash on Sunday no matter what, and then for my Wednesday wash I either do another full one if I have time/feel like it, or just do a hairline/crown scalp-only wash bent over the sink with a medicated shampoo (I don't get this in my hair anyway or I smell like sulfur for days :poot::D).

ETA: Either I'm crazy or someone changed the name already :)

nycelle
February 19th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I was talking with my husband about using "Bi-weekly" as in every other week, and he reminded me that we had this convo. years ago when I worked with British clients. Apparently, I was just as confused then..lol..

Yes, the thread name has changed!

CaranDulin
February 19th, 2018, 08:20 PM
I belong here too! Hi there! I don't have a set schedule, but it usually works out to being around Wednesday and Saturday nights.

Crystawni
February 19th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Yes'ms, with some modly help, there now be some international clarity with the gist of this thread. :grin:

Arciela
February 19th, 2018, 08:30 PM
I wash twice weekly too :) I can go a week without, or longer but if my scalp itches even a little I just wash..not risking it. No set schedule or anything, just wash as need be :)

bleu
February 19th, 2018, 08:37 PM
I'm a twice a week washer, every Sunday and Wednesday. Occasionally I'll have to wash on a Thursday instead and by then my hair is pretty greazy. I used to wash every other day and my hair is in much better condition since I cut back. I may try to go to once a week at some point although I really like the feeling of freshly washed hair.

Drowseyweirdo
February 19th, 2018, 11:51 PM
I wash Sunday's and Wednesdays as well although I do want to start pushing washes a little further apart. but for now it's been working well.

Virankannos
February 20th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Hey, I am a twice-a-week washer too. I never decided to be and don't have a set schedule, but it seems to be what happens. My hair could go longer, but my scalp starts to hurt if I don't wash. People think I'm crazy when I say my hair hurts because it's dirty :D

I also have to be careful with dandruff, so I aim to keep up a good scalp hygiene.

Estrid
February 20th, 2018, 01:44 AM
I guess I fit in here. I wash twice per week, no set days.
Usually I go 3 days between but sometimes it's 4, I'm considering stretching to 4 being the normal for me since that's the time I've gone between the last two times now (not really by will, I cut both my index fingers and felt icky about sticking them in my hair with plasters and all on, but I guess I could take advantage of this).

Dendra
February 20th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I belong here as I'm an every-five-days-washer. I did stretch to once a week and my hair seemed fine, but my scalp was going a little funny and I also shed more on those final days but didn't want to admit it. Now my hairballs in the shower are smaller, yay :thumbsup:

Re the whole bi-weekly bi-monthly thing, I've always used it to describe something that happens twice in that period. I looked it up not long ago and it means both! How confusing.

lithostoic
February 20th, 2018, 06:53 AM
I'm going to start washing twice a week again. Shampoo and cowash alternating.

MusicalSpoons
February 20th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Twice-Weekly Washer's Club, perhaps?

I'm in the US and it is technically correct to use "bi-weekly" either in reference to twice a week OR every other week which isn't confusing at all :p.

This is one of many reasons why I maintain that English is a stupid, ridiculous language. As a native speaker I'm constantly amazed that it has become such an international language! Anyway.

I so want to stretch to twice a week - I can if I use cornflour as dry shampoo, but to me that's cheating and my scalp prefers me not to. Eh, I'll interestedly lurk until I can actually join this thread :popcorn:

Milady_DeWinter
February 20th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I wash twice too! I started with the new year, and i'm happy so far... I was a daily washer before! But washing daily was getting unconfortable and unnecessary since I'm wearing my hair up most of the week, and washing 1 a week would drive me crazy, actually I'm a bit unconfortable the day before washing...

I might wash 3/7 some weeks if I have the need, but I'll try to wash twice most weeks :) And I'm saving quite a lot of money in hair mask with it!

NightSister
February 20th, 2018, 09:17 AM
I wash twice weekly, generally every 3-4 days. Weekly washes led to unsightly grease, and bbb-ing was too rough on my fine hair, so I wasn't able to put the sebum to good use.... Not to mention the excess shedding. This is my sweet spot. :)

Crystawni
February 20th, 2018, 03:07 PM
:scissors:

Re the whole bi-weekly bi-monthly thing, I've always used it to describe something that happens twice in that period. I looked it up not long ago and it means both! How confusing.

Yeeeeeeup. It just popped out as my natural vernacular, but then I learnt something new when making this thread and hunting for alternatives. I also found the suggested Twice Weekly can also mean every 2 weeks, :doh: so went with Twice a Week for absolute clarity. Pfft.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, I used to be a daily washer before joining LHC, and am pretty chuffed that I'm stretching to twice a week now. I never would've thought it possible, and it definitely wasn't something that was part of my upbringing, what with all the haircare advertisements from around the 70s onwards advising more, more, more... I guess in the 80s and early 90s I really did need daily washing, though. The ol' helmet head of mousse, gel and hairspray HAD to go the next day to make my mop nice and fresh for a new slathering and lacquering. :lol: It was also a time when I got my hair frosted, permed and spiral permed, and I remember the hairdresser advising not to wash my hair for a few days after the treatment. I was like WTF? But, but, but... Yeah, that happened. :o I just HAD to refresh my fun, new coils, and as I didn't have a clue how to moisturise LHC-style, washing the mop was it. No wonder I had dry, frizzy yuckness (but it looked great when wet).

So yeah, it's been an edumacation shrugging off the old and embracing the new, and my hair (and scalp) thanks me. :grin:

AceOfCurls
February 20th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I'm in this club! I was wondering when one would get created. I wash twice a week and my curls thank me for it. They always look the best after washing. I'd wash more than twice a week but it's way too much effort.

Flowerness
February 20th, 2018, 05:04 PM
I've managed to stretch my washes this far. 2 times a week seems to be ideal for right now. (It goes like this: no grease, no grease, no grease, holy crap! Where did that come from? You could fry an egg on there!) I pretty much listen to my scalp and see what it wants. Honey? ACV? I WCC and occasionally use a small bit of ACV rinse afterwords. I recently figured out my hair prefers less ACV. A small dribble makes my hair dry fast, shine, feel awesome, and my scalp happy. Too much is not as great. Another recent lesson is that more conditioner = bigger curls and wurls.

I'm pretty sure that if I had to wash my hair everyday, I would eventually get sick from it. My hair doesn't dry for hours. 8-10 hours later it will still be damp at the neck. (Which is why the ACV is so great! Faster dry times? Yay!) Does any body else have this happen? Maybe it is due to porosity?

Crystawni
February 20th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Oh, yup, Flowerness! The drying time is what puts me off daily washing, too (low-porosity, virgin hair). Mine can still be damp the next day or two, and stays wet-damp if bunned (so I don't damp-bun--my scalp also hates it).

nycelle
February 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM
It takes my hair all day, and even longer if I put it up after washing. But if I let it just hang down, it'll dry in about 1.5 hours.

Flowerness
February 20th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I loved that it did that when my hair was at APL. I would twist it up with a claw clip and run errands. I'd end up with heat free curls that would last days. It was especially fun when it was hot out. Now, I'm realizing I don't want to go outside in winter time with damp hair. (It was 7 degrees F last night. Mid teens when I went out and I'm SO glad it was all dry!) Stuff like that didn't really register before.

2 times per week of washing seems just about right, so that the wurls can fizzle out, and just before the scalp starts hollering at you like it is saying: "Hey! Remember me?!"

spirals
February 20th, 2018, 08:50 PM
My days are Saturday and then either Tuesday or Wednesday. I've been known to push it to Thursday but by then my scalp is itchy and really greasy. I use dry shampoo or baby powder when needed.

Natalina
February 21st, 2018, 12:07 AM
I'm a twice-weekly washer! :D I wash every 3 days, regardless of the day of the week. My wash day was yesterday actually, but it seems that I'm unintentionally a day late, due to busyness. No wonder my scalp was itching like mad.

I have a planner on my phone for my next wash day/date and products I'll be using .etc, but sometimes you just can't help getting caught up with life. Oh well!

Ariel love
February 21st, 2018, 07:02 PM
I'm a Bi-weekly washer too. I CO wash on Wednesday morning and shampoo Saturday afternoon. I am just long the results I've been doing this for 3 months now.

nycelle
February 21st, 2018, 07:07 PM
It's been warm and humid here these last few days and my scalp and hair are feeling a bit gross. Don't want to wait until it gets itchy, so washing tomorrow instead of Friday.

enting
February 25th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I think I fit in this thread, though I might scalp wash only slightly more frequently depending on the season.

I'm finding myself not reaching for wooden hairtoys much because my hair is often wet. Does anyone else have this difficulty? What hairtoys do you all like to use with frequently wet hair?

Wendyp
February 25th, 2018, 10:43 AM
In the US, Bi-Weekly generally means every two weeks.
Guessing it means twice a week elsewhere?

But yes, I wash twice a week in colder weather, like right now. Generally every fourth day, or as soon as my scalp starts itching I wash.
In the summer it's more often.

Is there any benefit to going long periods between washes?

Bi weekly is 2x a week, bi monthly is 2x a month or almost every 2 weeks. There are 26 weeks in a year. Hope this helps y’all.

*Wednesday*
February 25th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I wash twice weekly too. Sundays and Wednesdays. I'd like to stretch to once weekly but excersing and sweating makes my scalp itch. Also my scalp feels better with this schedule. At least for the time being.

Groovy Granny
February 25th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I fit in here ~ I don't have oily hair but don't like my crown to get 'heavy'.
Twice a week (3-4 days) shampoos keeps a nice fluff factor to my hair that is needed because it is usually sleek/slippery in Winter.
Occasionally if the air is very dry I may do it once a week; in Summer humidity 3x.

I think I fit in this thread, though I might scalp wash only slightly more frequently depending on the season.

I'm finding myself not reaching for wooden hairtoys much because my hair is often wet. Does anyone else have this difficulty? What hairtoys do you all like to use with frequently wet hair?

I use my ONN acrylics or OTHM aluminums (water proof), though my hair is never 'wet' when put up.
Except for my sclap it dries very quickly because my ends are so fine/wispy.

I do a few minute warm/cool scalp blow dry, then I do a 1/4 to 1/2 up with an small claw to assist the rest of my scalp to dry.
When most of the scalp is dry (by then my ends are dry) I then bun it to add waves and decrease the initial poofiness/frizz.
It leaves me with a nice waviness and no frizz.

*Wednesday*
February 25th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Bi weekly is 2x a week, bi monthly is 2x a month or almost every 2 weeks. There are 26 weeks in a year. Hope this helps y’all.

Bi-weekly is every two weeks. There are 52 weeks in a calendar year. 365 days in a year ÷ 7. What calendar are you referring?

nycelle
February 25th, 2018, 11:05 AM
@WendyP
Thanks, but I got what the OP meant in her initial post.

The definition itself though, can be either, or.

I've worked in a corporate environment for over 20 years, and the only time it was used to mean 2x a week came from British clients. We use it to mean every other week. Never heard an American locally use it to mean anything else. I'm sure some do, but it's definitely not the norm.

Based on the way @wendyp uses it, obviously there are regional differences.

nycelle
February 25th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I fit in here ~ I don't have oily hair but don't like my crown to get 'heavy'.
Twice a week (3-4 days) shampoos keeps a nice fluff factor to my hair that is needed because it is usually sleek/slippery in Winter.
Occasionally if the air is very dry I may do it once a week; in Summer humidity 3x.

I use my ONN acrylics or OTHM aluminums (water proof).

I do a few minute warm/cool scalp blow dry, then I do a 1/4 to 1/2 up with an small claw to assist the rest of my scalp to dry.
When most of the scalp is dry (by then my ends are dry) I then bun it to add waves and decrease the initial poofiness/frizz.
It leaves me with a nice waviness and no frizz.

GG, I'm like you. More in the summer, less in winter. I can't go longer than 4 days though as my scalp starts to feel icky so rather not get to that point.
This week I had to use a dry shampoo as I was busy on my wash day. I felt it immediately. I know sebum is good for the hair, but I don't believe an excess
is good for my scalp, and I hate the way it feels.

Groovy Granny
February 25th, 2018, 02:15 PM
GG, I'm like you. More in the summer, less in winter. I can't go longer than 4 days though as my scalp starts to feel icky so rather not get to that point.
This week I had to use a dry shampoo as I was busy on my wash day. I felt it immediately. I know sebum is good for the hair, but I don't believe an excess
is good for my scalp, and I hate the way it feels.

I have very little sebum...don't notice it at all;my scalp 'feels' heavy by weeks end but doesn't show it.
I use a BBB 1-2x/day in Winter to cut dry flyaways, so that must help distribute/absorb what little I have.

Wendyp
February 25th, 2018, 03:20 PM
@WendyP
Thanks, but I got what the OP meant in her initial post.

The definition itself though, can be either, or.

I've worked in a corporate environment for over 20 years, and the only time it was used to mean 2x a week came from British clients. We use it to mean every other week. Never heard an American locally use it to mean anything else. I'm sure some do, but it's definitely not the norm.

Based on the way @wendyp uses it, obviously there are regional differences.

how interesting is that! i found this definition under a disctionary site and it can be either! thats crazy how can one description be two totally different meanings lol Here is the copy of the online d
ictionary: Im a practing lawyer, i handle family law and injury cases. Bi weekly means 2x a week and bi montly is what we refer to as 2 x amonth. Thats nuts tho that it can mean either. words are my thing and what i do for a living, i had no idea this is used so differently.

bi weekly
bi·week·ly
bīˈwēklē/Submit
adjective & adverb
adjective: bi-weekly
appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week.
"a biweekly bulletin"
noun
noun: bi-weekly
a periodical that appears every two weeks or twice a week.

Wendyp
February 25th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Bi-weekly is every two weeks. There are 52 weeks in a calendar year. 365 days in a year ÷ 7. What calendar are you referring?

apparently it can be used either way, which i did not know. see my post above. totally different meanings!

Crystawni
February 25th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Haha, and words are my toys (writer). Ambiguity reigns when it comes to international use of the English language, that's for sure. :silly: When I refer to how often I trim my hair, I use the term triannual (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triannual), or three times a year. That one at least has the alternative "triennial" for every three years, but can still be misconstrued.

As for wet hair and hairtoys, I don't bun when mine's still damp (my scalp in this constantly hot and humid climate hates it), but do have plenty of acrylic and metal goodies that can be used if I need my hair out of the way at the time.

Wendyp
February 25th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Haha, and words are my toys (writer). Ambiguity reigns when it comes to international use of the English language, that's for sure. :silly: When I refer to how often I trim my hair, I use the term triannual (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triannual), or three times a year. That one at least has the alternative "triennial" for every three years, but can still be misconstrued.

As for wet hair and hairtoys, I don't bun when mine's still damp (my scalp in this constantly hot and humid climate hates it), but do have plenty of acrylic and metal goodies that can be used if I need my hair out of the way at the time.

Well ya just learn something new every day if your paying attention lol! I was totally confused by the thread and was like who washes their hair 2 x a month! I want to be THAT girl lol! But I’m like a 2-3 x er or my scalp and hair are gross. But I see a lot of beautiful hairs girls wash more than bi weekly or bi monthly or whatever it is and have gorgeous hair. So yeah! I’m free to wash!

*Wednesday*
February 25th, 2018, 04:55 PM
apparently it can be used either way, which i did not know. see my post above. totally different meanings!

Ok Wendy ☺ that explains it. There has to be some method to the madness.

Wendyp
February 25th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Ok Wendy ☺ that explains it. There has to be some method to the madness.

Yeah I havd no idea why English speaking folk figured that was a good idea lol it’s very interesting tho. I wonder how many words in the English language have competing definitions? Anywho didn’t mean to hijak the post. I am leading so much from LHC never thought I would learn about words here too lol

Chiquita Banana
February 25th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Hi! :waving:
I wash every 4th day (occasionally up to every 5th). I would love to stretch it out to once per week, but after several years I've only been able to stretch it out this far. I used to be an every day washer though.

And for what it's worth, bi-weekly translated to twice per week in my brain when I first read the title. Lol! English is such an odd language.

lakhesis
February 26th, 2018, 11:12 AM
I belong here too :)

But I do cheat a little with some dry shampoo/ cornstarch in between too, I feel like blond fine hair shows everything :oops:
Otherwise it's Wednesdays and Sundays for me

Eastbound&Down
February 26th, 2018, 10:46 PM
I guess I have turned into a twice a weeker. I have been going to the gym 2x a day, so I have needed a mid week wash, typically Wednesday night and then again on Saturdays. I haven't noticed any detriment by adding in a wash, so I'll stick with it for now.

nycelle
May 2nd, 2018, 11:50 AM
I went 3 times a week, now back to twice a week, but pretty soon I'll be back to 3-4 times a week since it's getting warmer.

You guys still only 2x a week?

bparnell75
May 2nd, 2018, 11:56 AM
Yep in a twice a week washer. Hair just gets greasy in front and I do not like that. Haven't figured out how to crown shampoo yet. Lean over the sink....kinda hard or step in the shower...might as well do it all.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 2nd, 2018, 02:06 PM
Yes, Still twice a week for me, it just feels "right".

FennFire911
May 2nd, 2018, 02:32 PM
I belong in this thread as well. I generally wash every third day.
I used to be quite brutal in washing my hair. Once I hit puberty my mother instructed me that I needed to wash every day. And it was a double washing at that. Shampoo rinse shampoo rinse condition.
8 or 9 years ago a friend converted me off of all soaps with sulfates. Her logic was that’s toxic and all we’re doing is over drying our bodies and then rinsing right back out to the land. Lol she cares a lot about the environment and being green. I found the shampoo and conditioner that I still love to this day, Nature’s Gate Daily Herbal. Now I don’t feel guilty about the water I’m sending down the drain.
With the exhaustion of having my 4th baby (she’s 8 now) washings involuntarily got stretched to every other day. I acclimated to it. Since joining here I’ve experimented with stretching. For a while I stretched to washing once a week but it’s just not for me. I’m a sebum factory. On day 3 I do look visibly greasy and on days 4 5 and 6 my hair actually looks and feels damp. My sebum also seems to make my hair look a few shades darker. I must make some super strong stuff.
I learnt and still practice scritch massage preen, less emphasis on preening because it just didn’t seem to ever get the sebum past my nape. My scalp loves scritch and massage and I never had crazy itchies or flakes or acne. But having my hair appear and feel drenched and darker just isn’t for me. WO and CO don’t seem to get me as clean as I prefer. I can dilute my shampoo now. It’s still trusty ole Nature’s Gate, now in a condiment bottle watered down lol and still two washings to get my hair as clean as I like it.
In a pinch I’ve tried to go back to sulfate shampoos and those now over dry my scalp. I truly have adjusted to sulfate free, and scritching and massaging is still part of my routine just because it does feel so nice and decreases my perceived need to scrub when shampooing.
I’ve really found a miracle cleanser in Loreal 6 in 1 Ever Curl cleansing balm. I can dilute it too and get great results. Still always seem to need a double wash but at least now it’s more infrequent and with less harsh cleansers.
I guess I’m done rambling for now. That’s the story of how I ended up a twice a week washer.

nycelle
May 2nd, 2018, 02:57 PM
I've been sulfate free for months now (not including my debacle with my conditioner, still not sure if it's sulfate free), and I love it. My scalp used to irritate with sulfates, nothing extreme, but going sulfate free works best for my scalp.

I do shampoo twice though. The first I use one pump, and consider it a pre-wash..lol. The second time I use more and massage my scalp for a few minutes. I found my shampoo lathers much better the second time around as well.

Glitch
May 2nd, 2018, 04:36 PM
I've been sulfate free for months now (not including my debacle with my conditioner, still not sure if it's sulfate free), and I love it. My scalp used to irritate with sulfates, nothing extreme, but going sulfate free works best for my scalp.

I do shampoo twice though. The first I use one pump, and consider it a pre-wash..lol. The second time I use more and massage my scalp for a few minutes. I found my shampoo lathers much better the second time around as well.

I do the same :p My hair gets very oily and I feel shampooing (sulphate-free) twice is what really gets it clean, and it's a heck of a lot easier with a lot more slip the second time. I don't shampoo "seriously" the first time, more like a super quick massage and rinse, then onto the real cleaning lol.

lithostoic
May 2nd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Yep, twice a week, every 3-4 days :) Beyond that my hair gets dry.

Bri-Chan
February 14th, 2020, 05:40 AM
Every 3 to 5 days, depending on were I am an what I am doing

Siv
February 14th, 2020, 06:55 AM
I've migrated to doing a scalp wash as needed during the week and a full wash on Saturday...

It seems some are washing twice weekly because your scalp aches otherwise, and some are doing it because their hair gets dry if washed more often or because you want to refresh your curls...

I've the scalp issue too and I can keep it in check with two washes, but I can't deny I looove newly washed hair so I'm toying with the idea of washing more often... I also just like washing my hair, lol.

AmaryllisRed
February 14th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Yeah this is me. I used to be every-other-day but as it's gotten longer and takes longer to detangle and dry, I'm down to twice a week most weeks.
I guess I still prefer every-other-day, but that's just too much effort for me.
ETA: Also, squeaky-clean hair won't stay put in any style, so it's nice only having to deal with that monstrosity twice a week.

Bess3714
February 14th, 2020, 08:51 AM
I wash on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I oil my scalp on Wednesdays, then wash it out, otherwise my scalp itches like crazy and I get really bad flakes. I was sick recently, so I got off my schedule and didn't oil, just washed, and I think my scalp dried out even worse! Then, on Saturdays I like to deep-condition, so I wash the length really well before that.

queenbee1
February 17th, 2020, 05:55 AM
I belong here atm. Im de-stretching my washes atm so i can wash daily in the summer. From next month onwards I'll start washing every other day :)

RadioactiveLily
February 17th, 2020, 06:30 PM
I wash every 4-5 days, so I guess this is where I'm at. If I stretch washes any longer, I get sores on my scalp and the dandruff gets much worse. It's also harder to style my hair when its dirty- I find my buns slipping out much more often. Day 4-5 is often braids, because my hair is easier to separate when oily and it's the only thing that reliably stays put lol. This is my happy place and I'm here to stay.

0xalis
February 17th, 2020, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty much a twice a weeker at this point. I much prefer to stretch to every 3 days at the very least. I have recently learned that splitting is most often caused by lack of moisture, so I prefer my hair to be less than squeaky clean.
That's also why I have been religiously sticking to WCC. My hair is a lot more moisturized this way. My hair also just generally feels less fragile when it's "dirty". I hate the social pressure to have "clean" hair (aka freshly washed daily)

Hasse
February 18th, 2020, 02:40 AM
This is my happy place right now. I love washing my hair (the airdrying process not so much though..), so I've switched to washing twice weekly since half a year ago. It was also because my hair got dry faster when winter came around.

Maybe I'll stretch to once a week again for spring/summer, as my hair is less dry then. My scalp also behaves better in warmer weather. And if it doesn't, I can always do one scalp wash and one full wash a week.

Stray_mind
February 18th, 2020, 03:40 AM
I tried to stretch my wash this time and after 4 days my hair got super oily and gross and my scalp got itchy and sore... my waves also aren't as defined after a wash. I guess i will be sticking to twice a week routine afterall..

Siv
March 7th, 2020, 07:04 AM
I have recently learned that splitting is most often caused by lack of moisture, so I prefer my hair to be less than squeaky clean.

Huh, this makes sense. Not sure why I never thought of that before.

squirrrel
March 8th, 2020, 03:54 AM
I might end up fitting in here. I am currently a supposed weekly washer. This is mostly down to not really enjoying the process of washing, and extra independent strands that washing brings with it. I braid my hair most of the time, and it is difficult to see how greasy it gets by the end of the week, so I am okay with that most of the time. As my hair gets longer, I realise that the ends are more thirsty, and they don’t really stand up to the dry office environment as well. This week, as well as finding a home made hair mask that seems to work for me, I washed my hair on Wednesday as well as over the weekend. Results this week included hair that reminded me of silk, although I did put some extra moisturising on the ends before going to bed at night. I shall see how my scalp and ends are doing on Wednesday, and will take from there.

Bri-Chan
March 8th, 2020, 07:34 AM
I'm wondering about stretching my washes... With my new routine it gets greasy very hardly but I wash it for the styling. Maybe I can go longer with some updos

menninkäinen
March 9th, 2020, 02:14 AM
I wash my hair on Wednesdays and Sundays, it's been my routine for 10 years maybe. On not-washing days I sometimes add "dry shampoo" (flour, usually).

I'm listening to my scalp. The lengths and tips of my hair don't need to be washed so often, and I never shampoo them, but my scalp gets itchy easily. I tried skipping the Wednesday shampooing and washing only with water, so shampooing only once a week. The end result was that my hair was happy, my scalp hated the idea. Next I'm going to try natural shampoo bars (twice a week), my hair seems to like them, but it seems my scalp needs sulfates to be clean :eek: My old twice a week routine with sulfate shampoos has been good enough, so maybe I'll stick with it.

Dark40
March 10th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Oh, I belong here. I wash my hair on Wednesdays and Saturdays. As a child my mom washed my hair once a week but as I got a little older I started washing daily. I just love a freshly clean washed scalp and hair. If I go longer than 3 or 4 days I get an itchy scalp and greasiness too.

Siv
March 11th, 2020, 03:43 AM
Oh, I belong here. I wash my hair on Wednesdays and Saturdays. As a child my mom washed my hair once a week but as I got a little older I started washing daily. I just love a freshly clean washed scalp and hair. If I go longer than 3 or 4 days I get an itchy scalp and greasiness too.

Very much the same for me, loving the fresh hair, and washing on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I'm currently toying with the idea of washing even more frequently...

Dark40
March 11th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Very much the same for me, loving the fresh hair, and washing on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I'm currently toying with the idea of washing even more frequently...

Ok, cool. I also just love the smell of freshly washed hair as well. Yeah, me too was also toying with the idea of getting back to washing it frequently as well. I remember about 2 or 3 years ago I used to wash it daily. Now, it's either 2 or 3 times a week. Or, every other day. My mom always gets on my case asking me since I'm retired, and always at home why should I wash my hair more frequently, and i told her, "Because, I like freshly washed hair," "Plus, my hair grows better, and it doesn't shed as much."