PDA

View Full Version : OCD and long hair.. help?!

Leslieslsa
February 19th, 2018, 12:52 PM
This may sound odd but Im not sure what to do or how to ease my mind. I have knee length hair that is in pretty good shape when I really look at it but for some reason I am convinced its damaged and I should cut it. I guess its because when I am trying to comb or brush it I always hit snags and think I have damaged it more. I always just think that it must be full of damage because it snags when I brush/comb it. Does that mean its damaged? Its up all the time.

Beeboo123
February 19th, 2018, 12:55 PM
We can’t tell if it’s damaged unless you post a close up photo. Certain hair types tend to tangle more, even when undamaged. If your hair is super fine or curly, tangling is pretty much unavoidable. Just be gentle! Your hair is probably fine if you are treating it well

Flowerness
February 19th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I've gotten snarles in my hair from damage, but also dryness. Usually when I get a bunch of snarles I take that as my hair telling me it is time to use a clarifying shampoo, deep conditioner, and acv rinse. Then, I sit in front of the tv and do some s & d. If I add in a dusting: presto! Happy hair! Usually for me, the snarles are from my hair reacting to something: buildup, shampoo or conditioner not working well, or even weather. Some products do not agree with my hair.

When did the snarles begin? When did you notice them? Anything new around then? (New hair product? New pillow case or leave in?)

lapushka
February 19th, 2018, 02:11 PM
What do you comb/brush with; what's your routine in that regard.

enting
February 25th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Just hitting a snag doesn't automatically mean you've damaged it, especially if you're going slow and gentle. It just means there's a snag there and you felt some resistance. Detangle the snag gently and you're good to go.

In the title you mention OCD. If you are aware that you have OCD or OCD tendencies that may be manifesting regarding your hair, then you probably are aware on some level that it's not as bad as you fear :blossom:.

I have tangles and snarls and snags. I am pretty sure I always will, no matter how healthy my hair is. You can always try going even slower than you already are and see if that reduces the number of snags you hit. Snags don't automatically mean damage, they just mean the hairs in that area are attracted to each other or twined around each other for whatever reason.

spidermom
February 25th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Well, I don't know: maybe you're ready for a change and would really like to cut it, so you're trying to convince yourself that it's damaged so that you'll have a good reason.

MsPharaohMoan
February 25th, 2018, 07:49 PM
armchair psychologist within: but how do you feel about your knee-length hair?

cjk
February 25th, 2018, 08:10 PM
This is surprisingly common among guys as we grow our beards.

We begin with neatly trimmed, overly manicured, almost coiffed stubble that we cultivate slowly. And we ALL get increasingly annoyed by a few errant hairs, the change in growth pattern under the chin, insignificant variations in the density, etc. This sort of thing is why so few men grow beards of substance, it takes a long time and if you think hair goes through awkward stages you've never tried to micromanage a beard.

Part of growing a beard is allowing it to grow, giving yourself over to the process and learning not to HAVE a beard but to BE bearded. They are very different statements.

It can be such a profound experience for us, that it is often said that as a man grows his beard, the beard grows the man.

I suggest a change in your attitude. Your title is OCD and long hair. Think about the significance of that...people with OCD try to control, micromanage even, things in their life. Which implies that you're trying to micromanage every strand of your hair.

No.

Relax into the process. Revel in your long hair, enjoying it instead of letting it be a source of stress.

It doesn't have to be.

ReptilianFeline
February 26th, 2018, 12:25 AM
When two strands of hair find each other and hugs you get a snag. Just gently pry them appart so they can hug some other strands of hair instead. :)

leayellena
February 26th, 2018, 02:35 AM
I checked out your profile and I saw your hair is not damaged at all. It's maybe dry, but then long hair tends to be drier than short hair because natural oils don't reach the whole length. 1c tends to be a mixture between wanting to be slightly wavy therefore frizzies as such but also being straightish more than just straight. This is my hair type (I begin to see that only my layers makes my hair wave more to 2a). I stopped combing the length and honestly my hair feels better.
How often do s&d? I don't s&d often but my hair is always in a bun. And still your description fits 100% to my hair.
You also mentioned in your profile: m/c. Probably the coarse strands are drier and seem rougher than the medium ones. Dry doesn't mean damage, it just need more moisture.
Best tip ever: detangle with your fingers first, preferably with a bit of Conditioner. Then you can gently comb through. Or just don't overdo because it frizzies.

enting
February 26th, 2018, 07:26 AM
This is surprisingly common among guys as we grow our beards.

We begin with neatly trimmed, overly manicured, almost coiffed stubble that we cultivate slowly. And we ALL get increasingly annoyed by a few errant hairs, the change in growth pattern under the chin, insignificant variations in the density, etc. This sort of thing is why so few men grow beards of substance, it takes a long time and if you think hair goes through awkward stages you've never tried to micromanage a beard.

Part of growing a beard is allowing it to grow, giving yourself over to the process and learning not to HAVE a beard but to BE bearded. They are very different statements.

It can be such a profound experience for us, that it is often said that as a man grows his beard, the beard grows the man.

I suggest a change in your attitude. Your title is OCD and long hair. Think about the significance of that...people with OCD try to control, micromanage even, things in their life. Which implies that you're trying to micromanage every strand of your hair.

No.

Relax into the process. Revel in your long hair, enjoying it instead of letting it be a source of stress.

It doesn't have to be.

This is a beautiful post.

cjk
February 26th, 2018, 09:37 AM
When two strands of hair find each other and hugs you get a snag. :)

Hairs hugging. What lovely imagery!

ReptilianFeline
February 27th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Hairs hugging. What lovely imagery!

Thanks! I have found that when I think of it in more possitive ways, I don't pull at my hair so hard.