PDA

View Full Version : Do you switch your hair part regularly?

SeRe
February 19th, 2018, 01:52 AM
Do you switch your hair part regularly?

If not, and if you have parted it where it naturally parts for more than a few years, has your part widened?

My hair parts naturally on the left side of my head. I try to switch my parts but I want to know if its a myth that parting at the same place causes it to widen.

Please share your experience.

unheardletters
February 19th, 2018, 02:15 AM
My part has been in the same place for over 30 years. It has never widened.

Beeboo123
February 19th, 2018, 02:59 AM
Mine got wider after I stopped switching it around

chomsky
February 19th, 2018, 03:05 AM
I'm scared of mine getting wider so I switch every week. I keep track lol. The thought of developing traction alopecia. shudder:

My natural part is in the middle I think.

Crystawni
February 19th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Nup, mine hasn't widened in all my life. My hair naturally flops and swirls into a haphazard part somewhere around the same place above my right eye, which works for me to be able to see. Anywhere else and I'm flying blind. :lol: I also have cowlicks and a widow's peak, so it works with those, too.

Wavybrunetteuk
February 19th, 2018, 04:53 AM
I used to always part it on the left because I have a cowlick on the right side. But now I air dry it naturally I switch out of boredom. I have never heard about the parting widening :O

Hexen
February 19th, 2018, 05:28 AM
My hair parts naturally in the middle, but depending on how I brush it, the part can deviate slightly to either side, but still centrally located enough to be considered a middle part. And this has been the case for almost two decades. I cannot say that ive noticed it getting any wider though. But this thread made me a little paranoid now.

(*wakes up tomorrow with a reverse mohawk*) :disbelief

lapushka
February 19th, 2018, 05:31 AM
I have worn my part in the same spot for years, mine never widened. I'm 45, so that tells you something.

I think it is largely a myth, but that's my opinion on the matter.

lithostoic
February 19th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I let my hair part wherever it wants, mostly. If anything my hair has gotten thicker.

Natalina
February 19th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Growing up, my natural hair part was in the middle, but then I started parting my hair to the left when I cut-in side-bangs. Now that I don't have bangs anymore, I try to part my hair in the middle again, but it keeps naturally leaning to the left-side! It could be that my hair just got used to being parted to the left over the years and grow into it. I now just either part it in the middle or let it part itself on the left side.

And I've yet noticed any significant "widening" on my part. My middle part has always been less attractive than my side-parts, though, but my forehead is just shaped that way.

*Wednesday*
February 19th, 2018, 09:38 AM
My hair parts naturally in the middle. I make a part on the left. I think it looks better with my face structure.

ETA: My hair has not thinned.

Joyful Mystery
February 19th, 2018, 01:54 PM
My hair has always naturally parted in the middle. I haven't noticed any widening.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 19th, 2018, 02:00 PM
My hair always just parts itself in the middle and it has never widened. Maybe it would with a part and a very tight updo, but I don't do those.

elsiedeluxe
February 19th, 2018, 02:08 PM
I always part my hair over my left eye, and I have for about the last forty years. Sometimes it moves around some, but that's where its most comfortable. I have a cowlick there, so a middle part is hard to make work.

I have not noticed my part widening, but I have been moving the part around (today it's on the right) because I think there seem to be more short hairs in the section of my hair where the part usually happens, and I think it might be breakage.

GalaMoon
February 19th, 2018, 02:45 PM
I've always let my hair part naturally, slightly to one side. It's been like this my entire life so far, never noticed any problems from it. I honestly would like to try changing the parting every now and then, for a little variation, but my hair does not want to cooperate and it's just sitting there, looking weird. If I try to force it into a different parting when putting my hair up, I end up with sore scalp/follicles. So I just let my hair be.

AutobotsAttack
February 19th, 2018, 02:51 PM
If Iím doing bun variations or making a part for a bun or ponytail, then Iíll vary my part. Typically all my hair is brushed back so most times I donít have to worry about it.

at the moment I donít seem to have a natural part

Flowerness
February 19th, 2018, 03:28 PM
What do you call it, when you hair naturally separates a certain way- because of the curl pattern or growth pattern of the hair? Is it a cow lick? Well I've got one. Or many. Right in front. I've learned not to fight against what my hair wants. It always wins anyhow. Best to save my energy. So it parts where it wants to, I leave it alone. Sometimes I'll part it in the middle, but most often I let it be. (This is why I can never have awesome looking bangs. It separates funny in front) My part only gets wider due to increased shedding from hormones/seasonally. It usually comes back on its own.

Breeze
February 19th, 2018, 03:54 PM
My hair goes back and forth between left and middle part. Usually it flips when I cut or grow the bangs. While I have some traction alopecia due to repeated and long-term bunning, I haven't had anything on either part.

SeRe
February 19th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I see that a few have experienced widening of part, but not everyone.

My aunt has. She has 1a, iii hair, F, very thick and has always been long (Tailbone) or more. She has always parted it in the middle. Now it won't part another way, even if I try to make an updo with a puff. The part has also widened. I think it depends from person to person.

Stray_mind
February 20th, 2018, 05:25 AM
I don't even Have a natural hair part... my hair just falls all over the place, lol.

I do try to switch it up if i can...

Dendra
February 20th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I never consciously part my hair, it always parts itself in the same spot, a little to the right. My hair is up in a bun all the time so I guess it's mostly pulled back without a part.

fhairyqueen
February 20th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Iíve never worried about my parting being on the spot but should I be ?

MsMegMmk
February 20th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Anytime I've tried to part my hair differently, it finds a way back to my natural one.

entish
February 20th, 2018, 02:02 PM
I switch up my part as often as I remember. Mine does get wider if I don't. When I first started it really wanted to go back to the old part, but that seems to have stopped for some reason.

Arctic
February 20th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I change regularly, always have been.

Bluecardigan
February 20th, 2018, 04:03 PM
I do usually not try to change my natural part (in the middle-ish, my hair has a life of its own lol), and it feels wierd if I f.ex try out a side part. But oh well, maybe someday.

embee
February 20th, 2018, 05:11 PM
When I was a child my mom parted my hair in the middle. As a teen I parted my hair on one side.

Now, unless I'm going somewhere and "fixing up" a bit I have no part, just pull straight back. But for fancy, I part on the same side, except maybe once in a while I try the middle. Never have noticed the part widening.

Groovy Granny
February 20th, 2018, 05:14 PM
My hair naturally parts just to the left of center and ends in a small cowlick on the back of my crown.
It has not widened; usually I brush my hair back to distribute my white & silver evenly while styling, and cover my cowlick.
It also keeps it out of my face because it is so wispy. :p

Hairkay
February 20th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I grew up having my hair always parted down the middle. Now it mostly falls that way though I sometimes vary the parting. My hair is thick so it must fall or stick out in some way or the other. I can't say that I've noticed any widening of the part.

Glitch
February 20th, 2018, 06:37 PM
I see that a few have experienced widening of part, but not everyone.

My aunt has. She has 1a, iii hair, F, very thick and has always been long (Tailbone) or more. She has always parted it in the middle. Now it won't part another way, even if I try to make an updo with a puff. The part has also widened. I think it depends from person to person.

Yeah, I agree, I think it depends on the person. I know stylists can be wrong, but I do remember one in Asia telling me it's healthy to change my parting line every few months to keep it from widening. Anyway, if I keep a certain part for too many months, it does indeed widen (as in, my scalp becomes a lot more visible there eventually). I think it's because I have many fine hairs and they become more flat along the same constant line. It's not permanent for me though, I simply flip my hair over or even simply part it just a couple centimeters away and it's fine. I'm too scared to keep a permanent parting line, in case I do end up permanently losing hair around it. Of course, everyone is different, like my mom who has such luscious, thick hair to this day! Not sure what happened to me lol, but it is what it is :violin:

Arciela
February 20th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I don't switch mine ever...I just let it do its own thing :D If I try to part it differently...it feels weird >.<

TatsuOni
February 21st, 2018, 05:58 AM
I've been parting it the same way for years and it hasn't widened. If I would let my hair part naturally, I would never have the same parting twice and it wouldn't be straight either.

CopperButterfly
February 21st, 2018, 10:31 AM
I've parted in the same place for the past 20 years or so, haven't noticed any widening.

Ariel love
February 21st, 2018, 07:57 PM
Never thought of it but is am going to switch my side right now. I would never want any widening as I already have thin hair. 😂

Platzhalter
February 27th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Nope, never... my hair just parts the way it wants and I simply have to deal with it ;)

vampyyri
February 27th, 2018, 10:22 AM
My part always naturally falls to my right... it just does what it wants, and if I try to change it, it just goes right back :lol:

lapushka
February 27th, 2018, 11:01 AM
My part always naturally falls to my right... it just does what it wants, and if I try to change it, it just goes right back :lol:

That's what mine basically does too. I have a cowlick on my right side, not deep right, kind of an inch or so next to the middle. It's the start of my part and the way it splits to the back is always a tiny bit different, just because you can't pull it the exact same each time (near to impossible), which is why it never widens IMMHO.

LadyLongLocks
February 28th, 2018, 12:02 AM
I part mine in the center and always have. Rarely, I part it on the left but it feels strange. My part has not spread. I also just pull it back a lot with no part at all.
As far as George Michael, his advice was parting on the right side. I could never do it! It must be centered for me!

Aredhel
February 28th, 2018, 06:29 AM
Nope. I've attempted it a few times in my life, but my hair just doesn't like to be parted where it doesn't want to be. I have a cowlick on the back of the left side of my head, so naturally that's the side where my hair feels the most comfortable parted. :)

ETA: My part has not widened at all over the years. :)

Mamisch
February 28th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Mine is a parted middle/left and has been so the past 15 years or so. I've never thought of widening and I don't think it has. I've tried to part it on the right side or middle (wondered what it'd look like =p), but it just feels weird all day =p

Jo Ann
February 28th, 2018, 01:33 PM
What's a "part? :p

I just comb mine back and let it fall where it may. I haven't consciously parted my hair when going out in decades :shocked:

peachyleshy
February 28th, 2018, 09:09 PM
I part my hair on the left or in the middle. It seems that it's up so much now that it doesn't matter much... my mom thinks her hair has gotten thinner on her regular part side so she is trying to part it on the other. I've never noticed it looks thinner on my left side however it does add volume when I part it on the right side (it feels weird though)

Rustam
March 2nd, 2018, 07:18 PM
I just pull it straight back when I tie it back, and it is usually tied back so it doesn't usually have a part. Otherwise it just naturally parts off to the left some. No changes in how wide it is.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2018, 09:44 PM
I think it makes a big difference when you just let your hair fall where it naturally parts rather than dragging a comb or a stick along your scalp to get an absolutely straight part in the same place all the time. I've seen some wide parts out there in the real world. I've moved mine all around since I was a teenager.

lucid
March 3rd, 2018, 10:26 PM
I have a strong natural part, so there is no way for me to actually change my part. The only exception is if I braid my hair, and therefore forces it stay with that particular parting. but even then my hair switches back to its natural part when I undo the braids :p

school of fish
March 3rd, 2018, 11:41 PM
My hair naturally parts slightly right of centre, and although I haven't really consciously switched it around it does seem to migrate a bit more or less on any given day. Since I wash daily I guess I sort of set it daily. I comb it back from hairline to crown and wherever it 'wants' to part is where it parts :)

That said, I recently tried deliberately parting on the left for a few days and I liked the variety. I think I want to start mixing it up more often :D

Lizabeth94
March 5th, 2018, 09:06 PM
I like to switch my part around, but i never part my hair in tbe middle as i dont like how it looks on me. I think switching my part from side to side helps reduce damage, if i part my hair only one side i start to notice alot of broken or kinked hair along the part. Switching also helps with my scalp soreness and neck soreness, and keeps my hair from going flat on the top :rolleyes: