PDA

View Full Version : Collagen Peptides - tried it?

ontheway
February 18th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here has tried Collagen Peptides (from Vital Proteins).

A friend of mine has been using it for a year and a half and swears by it. Her hair right now is the longest I've ever seen her hair be, and her skin looks great as well. I'm considering trying it. If any of you have tried it and have feedback, let me know!!

If I start it, I want to use it for at least a year to see what it does... so this would be a big financial undertaking for me (haha).

lottiealice
February 19th, 2018, 11:06 AM
It's expensive, just take a regular collagen supplement.

lapushka
February 19th, 2018, 11:23 AM
If your hair grows 9 inches a year, I don't see how this could possibly contribute, but maybe that's me. 9 inches, means you're already on the high end of growth (super high end).

entish
February 19th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I take hydrolyzed collagen (same thing), but it's more for my joints than anything else. My hair does grow about 3/4" a month since I've been measuring, but I never measured my hair before taking hydrolyzed collagen. So while I do suspect it might help *some*, I don't have any proof to that theory.

young&reckless
February 19th, 2018, 07:59 PM
I have been using the brand Vital Proteins for two months and love the effect. It’s not super expensive and I’m seeing effects with half the recommended amount (one scoop a day). Eating evolved also has a hot cocoa with collagen that is tasty but would be expensive for everyday use.

ontheway
February 20th, 2018, 07:13 PM
It's expensive, just take a regular collagen supplement.

Already ordered it but I agree, it is expensive. I'm taking it at a friend's suggestion. She said it worked wonders, so wanted to know what LHC thought.

If your hair grows 9 inches a year, I don't see how this could possibly contribute, but maybe that's me. 9 inches, means you're already on the high end of growth (super high end).

Is that true? I really never thought my hair grew exceptionally fast. I would have thought 1 inch per month is considered "high end". I've had months where it has grown 1 inch (or more) in a month, but I'm currently at a point where it's growing at 3/4 of an inch per month, which to me doesn't seem exceptionally fast.

I'm also taking it to strengthen my hair, joints, skin, etc. I want the new hair that grows in to be nice. I also want it to help smooth my skin dermatitis issues. ;) It's not all about growth.

I have been using the brand Vital Proteins for two months and love the effect. It’s not super expensive and I’m seeing effects with half the recommended amount (one scoop a day). Eating evolved also has a hot cocoa with collagen that is tasty but would be expensive for everyday use.

This is good to hear, although I do find it expensive. I'm going to try it on one scoop a day I think! Have you noticed it affect your skin too?

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 09:44 AM
Is that true? I really never thought my hair grew exceptionally fast. I would have thought 1 inch per month is considered "high end". I've had months where it has grown 1 inch (or more) in a month, but I'm currently at a point where it's growing at 3/4 of an inch per month, which to me doesn't seem exceptionally fast.

Normal average growth is 6 inches, some are a bit above, and some get 4 inches a year.

9 inches is *incredible* gotta-have-measured-wrong potential. ;)

LexI bright
February 21st, 2018, 10:39 AM
I have been taking a different (cheaper) brand for nearly 2 months. It is called Prime Vitamina and it's from grass fed cows. I bought from Amazon. I bought for joint, skin, anti-aging benefits but my hair does seem to be growing faster. Or maybe its the henna...:ponder:

Beeboo123
February 21st, 2018, 10:57 AM
My hair grows insanely fast, and I don’t take anything special. To be honest, I don’t think these supplements will help hair grow faster

ontheway
February 21st, 2018, 02:08 PM
Normal average growth is 6 inches, some are a bit above, and some get 4 inches a year.

9 inches is *incredible* gotta-have-measured-wrong potential. ;)

9 inches is just 3/4 of an inch per month though. That isn't insane... if I was saying I grow 24 inches per year, that's another story!

I have been taking a different (cheaper) brand for nearly 2 months. It is called Prime Vitamina and it's from grass fed cows. I bought from Amazon. I bought for joint, skin, anti-aging benefits but my hair does seem to be growing faster. Or maybe its the henna...:ponder:

How is it for hair strength/thickness as well as skin?

My hair grows insanely fast, and I don’t take anything special. To be honest, I don’t think these supplements will help hair grow faster

I am mainly taking it to strengthen hair and make my skin better. If my hair grows faster with it, that's a huge bonus for me.

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 04:03 PM
9 inches is just 3/4 of an inch per month though. That isn't insane... if I was saying I grow 24 inches per year, that's another story!

That is a lot for steady growth; be lucky you have that! :D :flower:

Wendyp
February 21st, 2018, 06:02 PM
Just bought some thx for the info! Can’t wait to try it!

*Wednesday*
February 21st, 2018, 08:19 PM
Once you start taking it, document your hair growth monthly.

ETA: Maybe take some monthly pictures.

LexI bright
February 25th, 2018, 10:31 AM
How is it for hair strength/thickness as well as skin?

I suppose it is the protein in it that helps the hair growth, and the collagen for the skin. But that is just my guess :)

Wendyp
February 25th, 2018, 12:18 PM
ok just started drinking my collagen peptides today, no taste, added it to my smoothie with my clean protein from mansports and plain old whole organic milk. I just upload pics of progress over the years, just stopped a whole host of bad practices, my poor hemline:blueeek: But im on track now, no bleach, no hairdresses who love to chop, and no more wearing hair down every day. Ill post my progress and what i think of CP.

elfynity
February 1st, 2023, 08:17 AM
Reviving this thread because I've started taking hydrolized type 1 collagen + combined vit c supplement in november 2022 and immediately my nails are growing long and strong like never before and I got a full sprouting of baby hairs at my scalp, they are now at least 3 or 4 inches long. It does work. But, the real test is in giving it time and eventually comparing my actual hair growth and thickness. I think that hydrolized collagen supplement is definitely worth a try for my stubborn fine hair.

GoatLady
February 1st, 2023, 08:23 AM
I take the powdered supplement in my coffee (when I remember) and have noticed a marked growth in my nails. I plan on measuring my hair length every 3 months so we shall see if that growth speeds up as well.

elfynity
February 1st, 2023, 08:33 AM
I take the powdered supplement in my coffee (when I remember) and have noticed a marked growth in my nails. I plan on measuring my hair length every 3 months so we shall see if that growth speeds up as well.

Goatlady, I also throw it into my coffee. Good idea on 3 month measures, I'm gonna do that too and track my progress.

momof3mary
February 1st, 2023, 09:29 AM
My boss gave me a container of this but it's just sitting in my locker at work, maybe I'll bring it home and give it a try.

angel-baby
February 1st, 2023, 09:35 PM
I take collagen gummies everyday bc I found the powder taste too strong. I've been taking collagen for years, mainly for gut health and my skin, but I've seen an improvement in my hair and nails too.

elfynity
February 2nd, 2023, 06:11 AM
OMG everyone, there is conclusive research that hydrolyzed type 1 collagen does make your hair grow thicker and healthier and specifically strengthens the join of the hair at the root so the hair takes longer to eventually fall out and the actual hair keratin is stronger. I'm obsessed with this stuff now!

battles
February 11th, 2023, 02:13 PM
I have custom protein powder with collagen and vitamins added in, and I've definitely noticed a big difference in my hair, skin and nails since I bought it. I'm unsure if it's growing faster, but it's definitely a lot shinier and healthier looking, and my nails aren't breaking as easily.

baanoo
February 13th, 2023, 05:09 AM
For about 9 months, I’ve been adding collagen to my coffee in the morning. While it’s hard to say yet if it’s had a significant effect on my hair and there are other factors that may be contributing to my skin as well, it definitely has made a noticeable difference to my nails! - which makes me think my hair is also benefitting and it’s just hard to see. I also like that easy 18g of protein right out the gate in the morning. ;)

tuanyiji
February 13th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Yes, I do something called collagen loading combined with MSM and multivitamins and other supplements since October of 2022.
I wrote a lot about it, especially its correlation with nail growth, here’s the link:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=94872&blogcategoryid=3644

To sum up, my nails grow like crazy fast and hard.
My hair did grow quicker and thicker, 2cm/month and 0.5cm of pony circumference growth in 3 months.
However, I also had stress shedding from worrying too much about my dad’s health (cancer, chemo, 6th and 7th hospitalization) and then I got covid in December. I also stopped MSM and working out in January, so now I had a minor setback on the hair growth in the winter months, back to 1cm/month.

I’m back on increasing MSM and workout again in February, and with spring around the corner, everything will thrive.
Hopefully I will grow back and surpass ii/iii and become a real iii (at least 11cm) this year.

My parents and I all had 1b/C/iii hair to begin with, I don’t want people to read the above information and think they can gain hairs they don’t have in their genes by consuming expensive supplements, that’s not going to happen.

I had shed a lot of hair during those hospitalized days, and my hair loss recovery journey is full of ups and downs as my dad’s conditions are very unstable. I’m just using the supplements to boost hair growth and reach the maximum potential carried in my genes, while I’m still lucky enough to be able to afford them, honestly, sometimes I also doubt if I really need those as my dad’s medical bills get higher. If it reaches a certain point, I will not hesitate to give up the hair supplements and focus on my dad instead.

elfynity
February 14th, 2023, 12:54 PM
My parents and I all had 1b/C/iii hair to begin with, I don’t want people to read the above information and think they can gain hairs they don’t have in their genes by consuming expensive supplements, that’s not going to happen.

I totally agree with this. My mom's side of the family all have thick, strong hair, and I landed up with very fine hair, but I do honestly believe that I genetically have thick hair too, but that because it is fine, I need all these extras to get the best out of my genetics. I know the potential is there for me, and hydrolized collagen is working for me. The same thing with my nails, as I have aged, they broke easier, but now, they are not breaking at all and are strong (and long), it was genetic.

pumpkinsage
March 24th, 2023, 09:38 PM
Because of this thread, I decided to give collagen peptides a try. I've been on it for about 5.5 weeks and my hair is growing very fast. It is very noticeable in my bang area because I've been measuring my shortest piece of my bangs against my nose every few days to a week and each time I am just so shocked at how fast it has been growing. I think that the added protein (18g of protein) is also very beneficial because I know I was not getting enough for the past couple years.

I'll probably be measuring my hair again on April 6th since my last measurement was on March 6th and I had gained 0.75 inches in one month. I'm very curious to see how fast it grew this month to see if it is steady growth. I did calculations to see how fast my hair grew in 12 months from buzzed. I measured about 0.6 inches per month for 2022 so that's a bit of an increase! On February 6th, I was at 18.25 inches and on March 6th, I hit 19 inches. Next update and measurement is in 2 weeks!

shelomit
March 26th, 2023, 12:24 PM
I started collagen peptides about two weeks ago--not for any hair-related reason, but because I'm (still!) not getting enough protein in my diet and the RDN recommended it as something my tempestuous stomach would likely tolerate. I already get regular natural collagen in my diet since one of the cheapest meats available here is beef feet. It's a big adjustment to using the collagen powder and trying to "conceal" it in regular food, though! The only non-flavored variety at my grocery store was Organix, and it tastes and smells very strongly of skin : P I've been able to sneak it into some savory and strongly-flavored things, but I can't imagine combining it with coffee!

baanoo
March 26th, 2023, 03:34 PM
I started collagen peptides about two weeks ago--not for any hair-related reason, but because I'm (still!) not getting enough protein in my diet and the RDN recommended it as something my tempestuous stomach would likely tolerate. I already get regular natural collagen in my diet since one of the cheapest meats available here is beef feet. It's a big adjustment to using the collagen powder and trying to "conceal" it in regular food, though! The only non-flavored variety at my grocery store was Organix, and it tastes and smells very strongly of skin : P I've been able to sneak it into some savory and strongly-flavored things, but I can't imagine combining it with coffee!

Ooh shelomit I’m sorry it has such a strong taste and smell! The brand I use is called “vital proteins” (I believe, not in the kitchen at the moment) and truly does not have a taste or smell.

pumpkinsage
March 26th, 2023, 07:52 PM
I use Vital Proteins lemon flavor! It's not sweet, just very lemony

shelomit
March 27th, 2023, 05:51 AM
Ooh shelomit I’m sorry it has such a strong taste and smell! The brand I use is called “vital proteins” (I believe, not in the kitchen at the moment) and truly does not have a taste or smell.

I use Vital Proteins lemon flavor! It's not sweet, just very lemony

Ehehehe, that is actually precisely the brand the RDN recommended ( ; As I'm in a small town there are not many options, but I'll check the drugstore in the future to see if they have anything different from the grocery.

BVU
March 27th, 2023, 08:37 AM
I have been in the supplement world for a while, and Vital Proteins is very controversial. With what I have seen in posts and messages, Vital Proteins used to be somewhat good, but they have been causing a lot of issues for people in the past few years. They weren't open about having led in their products at all, and lied to their customers for 2 years, even going as far as faking a test for a credited org to make it seem like there was no led (California says otherwise man). When people found out and caused an uproar, only then did they proceed to change their formula, which is now making people sick. Rumours are saying people got sent to the hospital for 'Iron overdose' and 'Scleroderma'. No public led tests have been done for the new formula yet. I took a glance at the new SF. They are required by law to put what they made their Vit C out of and Ascorbic acid is not natural. It is a synthetic Vit C made out of GMO corn, along with many chemicals, and has a chance of leading to cancer along with swelling of the arteries. I'm sure if they were required to tell us what the other Vits are made out of, all hell would break loose. I think I should note that Vital Proteins's product in-stores is a bit different than the one on their website. They also used to be semi-open with this, but have since then removed that info from their website. Maybe they're the same now? Every non-paid for article I came across was straight warning about the dangers of it, and highly recommend only taking it for 3 months, then taking a month break inbetween (or just stopping all-together). Some of this is alleged, and comes from people online. Do your own research, and watch for advertisers, affiliate links, and paid 'studies' as they can be very hard to spot. Remember, these companies aren't regulated, very little proper research has been done, and it's not worth risking long term effects for a small boost in hairgrowth.

pumpkinsage
March 27th, 2023, 01:30 PM
I heard that protein powders in general are bad too! They have too high levels of heavy metals in them and it's also hard to regulate. Thank you for bringing this up!! I didn't think to look into that even though I recently learned about the heavy metals in protein powders. It's really hard to find credible brands. Welp.. I guess I'll just use up my one jar and not use Vital Proteins again. Yikes, that is just so awful.

Edit: I think I might just throw it away.. I'm scared to drink it now LOL

baanoo
March 27th, 2023, 05:18 PM
I’m not deep in the supplements world but the studies I read showed no heavy metals in the unflavored collagen - perhaps this was an issue in the past?

Shelomit, I shop sometimes at Vitacost online for things like this. Maybe you will have luck there?

rosenester
March 27th, 2023, 06:42 PM
I mix mine with oatmilk, then usually a smoothie with honey or maple syrup and fruit and yogurt. I first tried mixing it in coffee, with oatmilk, but forget why I stopped, it made the coffee a little thicker but not terrible. Mine has no taste or smell as well. Could you order online/amazon/etc. as a go-around to what is available locally? My brand is ‘neocell’ I forget where I bought it from.

shelomit
March 28th, 2023, 06:37 AM
Shelomit, I shop sometimes at Vitacost online for things like this. Maybe you will have luck there?

Could you order online/amazon/etc. as a go-around to what is available locally? My brand is ‘neocell’ I forget where I bought it from.

Ah, yes, I regularly forget that internet shopping exists! D'oh XD

BVU
June 22nd, 2023, 08:01 PM
So, for the past 2 months my doctor has been making me take collagen daily through a tube, and I have found something interesting. My hair growth rate has dropped from ~1.2 inches a month to 0.4. I'm not sure if this is because of the liquid collagen or prolonged lack of vitamins a couple of months ago that are having longterm effects, but hopefully my growth rate get's back to normal or im gonna cry. Perhaps because it's likely not natural collagen? Will update if I see any changes, supposed to take this collagen (and iron) every day for 6 months.

fairy_hair
March 26th, 2024, 08:38 AM
So, for the past 2 months my doctor has been making me take collagen daily through a tube, and I have found something interesting. My hair growth rate has dropped from ~1.2 inches a month to 0.4. I'm not sure if this is because of the liquid collagen or prolonged lack of vitamins a couple of months ago that are having longterm effects, but hopefully my growth rate get's back to normal or im gonna cry. Perhaps because it's likely not natural collagen? Will update if I see any changes, supposed to take this collagen (and iron) every day for 6 months.

I feel like the decreased growth rate is likely due to prolonged lack of vitamins than adding collagen - I've seen an incredible increase in hair and nails from 5-10,000mg fish collagen daily, even new hairs growing and previously finer hairs thickening and growing longer. I also take multivitamin, fish oil and heme iron tablets, so good luck and hope your hair growth speeds up!

Fethenwen
March 26th, 2024, 09:21 AM
I've been taking collagen peptides for a few months now. I can't really say if my hair is growing faster, I am not keeping track, but it is thicker than ever that's for sure, and I shed very little.
I notice most difference in my nails, I have never had the patience to grow my nails long, but they grow so quickly now so I have a hard time to keep up filing them down.
Such an easy way to get that extra protein as well, and it has so many other health benefits, high in glycine and great for joints.
I take about 12 grams per day, it goes well with hot chocolate or rooibos tee with oatmilk.

fairy_hair
March 26th, 2024, 11:59 AM
I've been taking collagen peptides for a few months now. I can't really say if my hair is growing faster, I am not keeping track, but it is thicker than ever that's for sure, and I shed very little.
I notice most difference in my nails, I have never had the patience to grow my nails long, but they grow so quickly now so I have a hard time to keep up filing them down.
Such an easy way to get that extra protein as well, and it has so many other health benefits, high in glycine and great for joints.
I take about 12 grams per day, it goes well with hot chocolate or rooibos tee with oatmilk.

Right!? I've been taking about a similar amount per day for over 6 months now, and I have so many new hairs that are thicker and healthier than others, all over my hairline and front hairs more noticeably, and each week now I'm noticing them get longer and longer, I know they weren't like that before. And the roots of my hair overall dies feel thicker. Excited to see what happens in a year more!

evernia
March 26th, 2024, 12:39 PM
Right!? I've been taking about a similar amount per day for over 6 months now, and I have so many new hairs that are thicker and healthier than others, all over my hairline and front hairs more noticeably, and each week now I'm noticing them get longer and longer, I know they weren't like that before. And the roots of my hair overall dies feel thicker. Excited to see what happens in a year more!

hello, are you taking collagen or collagen peptides? i'm almost at the bottom of a bag of collagen and i'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading to the more pricey peptides

fairy_hair
March 26th, 2024, 02:31 PM
hello, are you taking collagen or collagen peptides? i'm almost at the bottom of a bag of collagen and i'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading to the more pricey peptides

"Premium Marine Collagen Hydrolysed Collagen Types 1 & 3 Pure Peptide" , I believe its peptides what you're referring to.

evernia
March 26th, 2024, 03:00 PM
thank you! mine's just hydrolysed collagen (not peptides) and i believe it may be helping, but it tastes like burnt hair or cow hooves :(

fairy_hair
March 27th, 2024, 04:37 AM
thank you! mine's just hydrolysed collagen (not peptides) and i believe it may be helping, but it tastes like burnt hair or cow hooves :(

I find it so interesting. My nails have grown super fast and strong too by the way! Despite my job where I use my hands all the time quite roughly!

Fethenwen
March 27th, 2024, 08:03 AM
That is really cool :)

I think that people who are not getting results from taking collagen are either not taking enough and also perhaps using poor quality collagen.

I use hydrolyzed type I and III collagen peptides about 12g per day.

fairy_hair
March 27th, 2024, 08:28 AM
That is really cool :)

I think that people who are not getting results from taking collagen are either not taking enough and also perhaps using poor quality collagen.

I use hydrolyzed type I and III collagen peptides about 12g per day.

I take more if I don't eat much collagen, and less if I eat lots of hotdogs and chicken skin hahaa it's amazing

evernia
March 27th, 2024, 08:51 AM
"Premium Marine Collagen Hydrolysed Collagen Types 1 & 3 Pure Peptide" , I believe its peptides what you're referring to.

i was confused about the difference so i called them today and hydrolysed collagen is the same as peptides, the hydrolysis breaks it down into peptides. so i think i'll be tasting hooves for some more time :D

fairy_hair
March 27th, 2024, 10:25 AM
i was confused about the difference so i called them today and hydrolysed collagen is the same as peptides, the hydrolysis breaks it down into peptides. so i think i'll be tasting hooves for some more time :D

Nice to know! Mine was by chance so I never really studied the difference. I just see it's working, so carried on! Hope you see lots of good results!