PDA

View Full Version : Managing hair in professional settings (as a guy) advice needed

Rustam
February 18th, 2018, 07:19 PM
I have been in grad school, so growing out my hair has been a non-issue. But I am nearing the end of my degree and have been weighing options between pursuing medical school as much for the value it would have for me as a researcher going forward or applying for jobs. I don't have any experience managing hair when I actually need to worry about what others think about it.

I am not planning on cutting it. And I don't think that it should really limit me at all, though I worry a bit since I don;t personally know any long haired doctors. I was trying to figure out how to have my hair in application photos. I was going to tie it back, but also didn't want people to be surprised that its long when they meet me in person. Also any advice for managing it during interviews and in the work place would be appreciated for any guys or woman with experience in the matter. I don't worry about it too often yet, but it causes me anxiety, and I like to have plans for things. Thanks

Nenyath
February 18th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I have been in grad school, so growing out my hair has been a non-issue. But I am nearing the end of my degree and have been weighing options between pursuing medical school as much for the value it would have for me as a researcher going forward or applying for jobs. I don't have any experience managing hair when I actually need to worry about what others think about it.

I am not planning on cutting it. And I don't think that it should really limit me at all, though I worry a bit since I don;t personally know any long haired doctors. I was trying to figure out how to have my hair in application photos. I was going to tie it back, but also didn't want people to be surprised that its long when they meet me in person. Also any advice for managing it during interviews and in the work place would be appreciated for any guys or woman with experience in the matter. I don't worry about it too often yet, but it causes me anxiety, and I like to have plans for things. Thanks

There seems to be some prejudice against doctors with long hair, so I would definitely make it look tied back and neat, either a pony or even perhaps a French braid? You could try to post pictures of a few styles if you want feedback. Best of luck though!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 18th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I would think that a bun of some sort would be the tidiest thing to do in this situation. And good luck with the job hunting :)

Nightshade
February 18th, 2018, 08:05 PM
I think a tucked French braid (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/01/21/220121f0213646ea1f00fbbbbbcb202f.jpg) would be subtle and professional.

Reyn127
February 18th, 2018, 08:58 PM
One of my male coworkers has hair about as long as mine, in the tailbone range. He wears it in something very similar to a bee-butt bun, and I think it always looks very neat.

Groovy Granny
February 18th, 2018, 09:02 PM
As a retired nurse I would say a bun ....or braid that could also be bunned if needed.

Good luck :cheer:

bleu
February 18th, 2018, 10:18 PM
One of my clients is an E.R. doctor and he has long hair. He had long hair in medical school too. He always wears it pulled back in a pony tail. I've never seen him in a man bun or braid.

Beckstar
February 18th, 2018, 11:11 PM
The doctor who did my hysyterectomy 12 years ago has had longish (APL) hair as long as I've known him. He wears it in a low ponytail and it looks neat and professional.

lapushka
February 19th, 2018, 04:45 AM
I'm going to go with quite a low bun as well; mid to low.

Todd
February 19th, 2018, 08:06 AM
I'm going to go with quite a low bun as well; mid to low.

That's what I do on the rare occasion I have to get dressed up to go someplace fancy.

Of course, its too slippery to stay in a bun for long...

Lady Stardust
February 19th, 2018, 08:34 AM
With regard to the photo, I think it would be best to have your hair tied back or bunned, and don't worry about them being surprised later when they find that you have long hair. You need to get through the door first. If someone is choosing between 2 applications with similar academic backgrounds, you don't want your hair to be the thing that causes them to choose the other candidate.

When they meet you and get to know you they can find out about the other aspects of your personality, including your hair!

Of course, in an ideal world we wouldn't work with such narrow minded people...

EdG
February 19th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Don't worry about hair. On a scale of 1 to 10 in importance to the workplace, hair rates about a zero.

You can always put it in a ponytail if you need to keep it out of the way. :)
Ed

patienceneeded
February 19th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I've seen quite a few men in the medical profession with longer hair. A low pony seems to be pretty standard. Perhaps it is due to simplicity? You can always braid the low pony, I've seen that too. Braiding helps keep the pony contained, which is probably recommended for hygienic reasons when working in medicine. Honestly, I doubt the length of your hair is really too much of an issue, but I suppose it depends on where you live.

brickworld13
February 19th, 2018, 09:28 AM
As long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to do whatever job you have and it's kept neat/clean, it doesn't matter. I worked with the same group of people for over a year before they realized my hair was as long as it was. I keep it out of the way at work because it's hot in Florida and it's not safe to go do my job with it flying around free.

nycelle
February 19th, 2018, 09:48 AM
I'm also thinking low ponytail.

Depending on where you are, I'd stay away from the manbun. Right or wrong, guys that wear it are not taken as seriously here - Unless they're in the arts/fashion type of professions.

Beeboo123
February 19th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I would go with a sleek french twist. Neat, elegant, and keeps hair out of the way, they don’t just have to be for females. I find that ponytails and braids sometimes fall over my shoulder and get in the way in the lab, so i wouldn’t do my hair like that. Buns would be a better choice, and I like my buns tight and not messy, tight buns look much more professional.

Rustam
February 19th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely tie it back for the pictures and not worry about it. I'll also just stick with something simple (bun or ponytail) and make sure to tie it at the nape to be safe height wise since mid or higher seems like it is not recommended.

brickworld13
February 19th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Have you talked to Gumball? He has some pretty amazing buns at all different heights and styles.