PDA

View Full Version : hair for the one handed

littlemiss
October 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
At present I have my arm in plaster and finding hair care extremely awarked to brush, comb ,wash,updos everything really!!:mad:
So I ask you the people what would you do with your hair daily in my position, any one got any REALLY easy updos that can be done with one hand?:)

Calista
October 30th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I think your best bet would be to have a person of trust comb and braid your hair for you - either a single braid or double braids. You can leave your hair like that for a few days on end. It´s really really hard to take care of your hair yourself with only one hand.

I wish you a speedy recovery! :grouphug:

Periwinkle
October 30th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I don't like the hairstick twist (my hair is too long for it already, and since yours is even longer...), but I can do it one-handed.

I suggest the same as Calista - get a friend to braid your hair for you and leave it that way a while. If you oil it, that might make the braid last longer.

I do have a bun-gimmicky thing from Claire's that I reckon you could use to make a bun one-handed if your hair was braided first. It's basically an elasticated hairnet attached to a French barrette (with a truly awful bow on top!). You stuff all the hair into the net, then fasten the clip over some of the scalp hair to hold it up. If you need to look presentable but can't do much with your hair, you could probably manage something with a thing like this.

Tapioca
October 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I broke my arm last summer, and my husband and daughter helped me comb my hair. I could wash it myself one-handed, and it didn't tangle too badly as long as it was detangled before getting it wet. Luckily, the doctors didn't want to put a cast on it, so I didn't have to worry about anything getting wet. My family can't braid, so I usually just wore it loose, unless I could get a hold of my next-door-neighbor to help me.

Anje
October 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I'd like to think that I could wash and comb my hair one-handed, then manage some sort of wad or beebutt bun, bend over so it rests on my head, and skewer it with a wavelength pin or maybe a Ficcare. But I wouldn't want to try. I hope someone takes pity on you. Otherwise, you might as well take the opportunity to show off your length.

Magdalene
October 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I would get a nice Jawclip you don't mind wearing everyday. I can't imagine doing hairsticks onehanded.

zaftig2k
October 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
At present I have my arm in plaster and finding hair care extremely awarked to brush, comb ,wash,updos everything really!!:mad:
So I ask you the people what would you do with your hair daily in my position, any one got any REALLY easy updos that can be done with one hand?:)

I know how hard this is. After a car accident some years ago I had a cast from my hand up to my shoulder. I had to have my daughter (a teenager at the time) wash my hair for me. She would also detangle and either braid or put in a ponytail or bun. It was about all we could do with it at the time. Thank God I had her to help. It was really a nightmarish time, so I can relate.

Hang in there.

littlemiss
October 31st, 2008, 01:19 AM
I come with good news the full cast they put on yesterday is water proof so I can at least wash my hair!!!!! The half cast I had on days prior to this was not but this new one is fibre glass material and water proof
Whoa Whooo!!!:cheese:
Thanks for all advice and good wishes :flowers: I only wish I could teach the dogs to braid hair :p

mommy101405
October 31st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Best of luck. I'm not really sure I can help with styles. Maybe just wear it down a little more. At least your cast is waterproof that's awesome.

I used to know a woman with one arm. She had at least waist length hair. She used to have the most perfect ponytails and buns. I have no idea how she did it but she said she did them herself. I guess she just got used to it.

Jim
October 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Bin there, done that. My advice is use your good hand to grab a friend who can help. :)

neon-dream
October 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hee ^_^ I like Jim's comment.
I don't think I could manage my hair at all with just one hand hehe, so I'd say get a friend too.
saying that, i dunno if i would trust anyone but me to do my hair haha!
Hope you're well soon!!
:)
xx