PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair texture change.

Margarita
February 18th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Okay so, i remember when i was a kid my hair was very curly from the roots to ends and generally because i did braids, that would made my hair even curlier. Now, im 17 and its possible for me having hormonal imbalance/change on my hair, for example, my hair is not that curly that it used to be because my roots and crown are straight and they dont get curly when i braid, even if i braid my hair gets wavy and not curly as used to. The only piece that gets curly are my ends, and the rest of it up is not curly but straight/slightly wavy. My grandma says that my hair is starting to get straight as <<time passes>> and its possible when i reach adulthood to have straight or wavy hair, the same also was said by my mom. So, i wonder if all this is a sign of change on my hair as i grow up?

chomsky
February 18th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Very possible. My hair, like yours, was curly root to tip when I was a kid, I was a full 3c! *sob* My mum had super tight (3c/4a) curls when she was younger.

Now, my hair is flat and wavy on the top (I think my avatar shows this), I can't encourage a curl. All of my curls are now at the back and the sides.

My mum's hair has relaxed into 3a/b curls. I'm expecting my hair to continue loosening as I get older.

If it is hormones and aging, embrace it, there's little we can do about it, apart from be sad over lost curls. :lol:

Edit: This (click) (https://i.imgur.com/GjkqQ4T.jpg) shows how my texture has changed. Those curls at the back were all over when I was a kid.

Margarita
February 18th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Oh so this is also happening to you as well? I guess now i feel very familiar xD
The good is that i dont use heat anymore, i dye my hair with an organic hair dye but i seriously have cut off heat because my hair is easily prone to split ends. I noticed my hair looks a bit thicker than it used to as well shinier and softer. I have done bleach 3 times but thankfully my hair remain healthy :D Truly, i braid my hair after shower while its damp and sleep, the other day my hair is wavy and not curly. Seriously, i have photo of me before many years and my hair is completely curly from roots to ends! *sighs* such good hair days back then. My mom also said that i need to let my hair rest because i braid "all the time" and my hair have got used to to get wavy...i dont believe that much, other girls straight their hair twice a day and its worse...

lapushka
February 18th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Okay so, i remember when i was a kid my hair was very curly from the roots to ends and generally because i did braids, that would made my hair even curlier. Now, im 17 and its possible for me having hormonal imbalance/change on my hair, for example, my hair is not that curly that it used to be because my roots and crown are straight and they dont get curly when i braid, even if i braid my hair gets wavy and not curly as used to. The only piece that gets curly are my ends, and the rest of it up is not curly but straight/slightly wavy. My grandma says that my hair is starting to get straight as <<time passes>> and its possible when i reach adulthood to have straight or wavy hair, the same also was said by my mom. So, i wonder if all this is a sign of change on my hair as i grow up?

I went from 1b/c to 2b/c during puberty (at age 14). It could still change a bit, as you're not 18, or 20 yet - it can change up to that point, sometimes even beyond that. And later on pregnancy might change it up *again*. It's how it is, I guess.

Best thing to do is to learn about your new texture and learn to live with it the best you can! :flower:

Which I'm sure you'll succeed at! :D

entish
February 18th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I went from having straight hair when I was young to having curly hair that is 2c/3a, and it sounds like the same has happened to you in reverse. Oh, the joys of hormones. :p The best we can do is to learn about our new hair type and learn to take care of it, which it sounds like you are :)

Got me thinking though, perhaps you could put a tad bit of gel in your damp hair before braiding to make the braid waves hold better? I really like FSG (flax seed gel) or Viva Curl Lite Defining Gel, both of which won't dry out your hair yet have a flexible hold.

lithostoic
February 18th, 2018, 06:18 PM
My co-worker had 3b hair her whole life until she had kids! Now it's more or less straight. Hormones make a huge difference.

ontheway
February 18th, 2018, 09:14 PM
I was born with straight hair, it got wavier as I got older, but was still pretty straight until a few years ago. Now, I have waves/curls... it happens! It happened to my mom too and her hair was even straighter than mine was.

I predict mine will also go back to straight in a few years tbh.

Embrace it!

SeRe
February 19th, 2018, 12:29 AM
I went from having 2c hair to 2a/1c hair. Hair is beautiful no matter what length, type, form or color. Embrace the change and learn to take care of it as it changes.

February 19th, 2018, 07:26 AM
For me CO means 2c/3a, only shampoo (no conditioner) meant straight short hair or poofy formless long hair, deep conditioning gives me more like 3c and using only oils and no condish and strong clarifying washes (like SLS shampoo, soapnuts or egg yolk) gives me waves. So generally the more conditioning the more curls I have, the less conditioning the more straight(ish) they are. So I'm assuming it's possible you're not caring for your hair as well as you did in the past and they're loosing curl from lack of conditioning... Maybe you're using less rich conditioner? Not leaving it in your hair?

I also heard about texture change after pregnancy, chemo, etc, so that's a possibility too!

Natalina
February 19th, 2018, 08:16 AM
The exact opposite happened to me! When I was a child, I had straight, fine hair until about 10-ish. Then my hair starts to become wavier and coarser as I grow. And now, only a small section of hair around my nape area (not including baby hairs) are straight, and I'm actually going through an awkward phase where the hair around my nape is slightly longer than the rest of my hair, and so the ends are just straight barely-wavy-ish while the rest of my hair are complete wurls, it's kind of funny actually. :confused:

It's entirely possible that it's a part of you growing up, due to hormonal changes, and especially likely if it has happened to your family members as well (genetics!). :) I hope whatever the hair type you ended up with, you learn to love them as I did! Also, keep in mind that with different hair texture/type, you might need to re-adjust your hair care routine accordingly. Pointing out the obvious, but just wanna give a heads up!

Margarita
February 19th, 2018, 08:42 AM
My hair care routine changes, so i dont have a standard one. Im about to use the CG method for about a week now and see how the results are going. My hair remains the same neither either i use shampoo and conditioner. I leave the conditioner on my hair for about 5 mins so i guess its enough to get my strands moisturized. When im about to use shampoo and conditioner, i use the conditioner first so i do the reverse washing.

Natalina
February 19th, 2018, 10:17 AM
It's good that you're trying out different routines. It took me a lot of trials and errors to find what works for me, and even though I've recently found the routine that works for me, I still interchange between different kinds of products, so my hair doesn't get used to same ones.

I hope you get great results from trying out the CG Method, Margarita! :)

Margarita
February 19th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Yeah :) I like working and trying different methods on my hair because i dont wanna "stay" in one place because i get bored very easily so i try and discover new methods/tricks to help my hair and confidence :D

Flowerness
February 19th, 2018, 02:02 PM
I've kind of been thinking on this very thing lately. I used to have curls like Shirley Temple. (Is that 3b maybe?) Sort of fat, sausage curls. Then, as a kid/teen I had maybe 1c hair. Years of blowfrying my hair kind of killed my hair for a while. As an adult, the texture started to come back a bit. I still didn't know enough about curly hair care, though. ( I though having a curly hair day meant using a shampoo/conditioner that said "Curls" on it, followed by excessive use of crunchy gel!) Now, years of LHC and no more blow dryer is making my hair texture increase. At the beginning (2015?) I had maaaybee 2a hair. Being nice to the texture has allowed it to resurface. SMT's and TLC and time. Now I'm seeing tighter wave patterns, and curls trying to emerge. Being gentle and patient seems to be key. Experimenting to see what works for you is fun, especially when you can learn what your hair likes, and how to make it straighter or wurlier.

Have fun with this process, it is an enjoyable one!

enting
February 19th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I have the opposite process, I had nearly straight hair as a child, I would guess 1b looking at pictures. It gradually got curlier and I don't think it's quite done getting curlier yet. Hair texture can change in all sorts of ways through life.