PDA

View Full Version : How can I get smoother hair?

krispie
February 16th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Hello y'all.. so I have a "problem" & that is that I don't like my hair as of now.. it's kinda frizzy & I don't know what to do with it. I also am growing out my bangs and just my whole hair is driving me mad.. but my question is how can I get my hair to be smooth? I was 2-3 times a week, 2 days apart kinda, does that contribute to this?
I envy this girl in my class, her hair is so smooth and long... anyways I just really would appreciate all kinds of tips and help :)
Thanks

MusicalSpoons
February 16th, 2018, 01:41 PM
What's your usual routine - how do you wash/dry your hair, and with what products?

Not that I can help, because my 1b hair has never been all smooth and sleek, even when I used silicones :rolleyes: ... Actually, it has been once when I used a super-deep moisturising oil mask, but it made my hair so smooth and slippery I couldn't do anything with it! So as far as routine for smooth hair goes, I don't have any advice, but if you post your routine and products then others will be better able to help :flower:

nycelle
February 16th, 2018, 01:44 PM
subscribed. no advice but I'm following as I would love to know too.

MsMegMmk
February 16th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Seconding full routine details. Though, off the top of my head I would recommend ACV rinses and light leave in conditioner. Also, the less I bother my hair after it has dried, the better. I notice that the slightest texture in my hair really poofs up if I mess with it.

amiraaah
February 16th, 2018, 01:54 PM
i love using natural deep conditioners(DIY)these make my hair smooth and wavy-my hair is naturally curly-and i never use conditioner,leave-ins or gel on my hair.

SunnyRose
February 16th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I don't know if you use silicones or not, but I seriously recommend the Neutrogena deep recovery conditioner. The deep conditioner isn't as heavy as it sounds.. I use it on my hair nearly every wash. It leaves my hair so silky smooth and flowing. My hair always looks good when using it and I have processed hair. Also using a hair oil is smart for fly aways and shine. I like the oils Aveda sells... And currently I am using an oil called Chi silk infusion which really works well. So I guess what i'd recommend is to look for something with silk in it or has light use of silicones.

lapushka
February 16th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Hello y'all.. so I have a "problem" & that is that I don't like my hair as of now.. it's kinda frizzy & I don't know what to do with it. I also am growing out my bangs and just my whole hair is driving me mad.. but my question is how can I get my hair to be smooth? I was 2-3 times a week, 2 days apart kinda, does that contribute to this?
I envy this girl in my class, her hair is so smooth and long... anyways I just really would appreciate all kinds of tips and help :)
Thanks

1b is pretty smooth already.

If I may, and I hope I'm not overstepping here. But I would just leave this girl to her own hair, and worry about yours separately. I would not try and manipulate my "poor" hair into something it may not totally be; even though there's hardly things smoother than 1b, yes 1a, but it's not that far off.

Maybe she doesn't even like her hair, who knows.

krispie
February 16th, 2018, 03:32 PM
My routine is the CWC method, and I let it air dry. The shampoo I use is the Pantene repair & protect, and I use the Loreal Nutri gloss conditioner :) & I use coconut oil in my hair once every month or two, but it doesn't really make a difference in my hair I think.

Haruna
February 16th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Subscribing because I need to know too lol. Frizz has been a lifelong issue of mine. The only thing I've really found to help so far is ACV rinses and in my mister bottle.

jera
February 16th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I don't know if you use silicones or not, but I seriously recommend the Neutrogena deep recovery conditioner. The deep conditioner isn't as heavy as it sounds.. I use it on my hair nearly every wash. It leaves my hair so silky smooth and flowing. My hair always looks good when using it and I have processed hair. Also using a hair oil is smart for fly aways and shine. I like the oils Aveda sells... And currently I am using an oil called Chi silk infusion which really works well. So I guess what i'd recommend is to look for something with silk in it or has light use of silicones.

I thought cones too.

lapushka
February 16th, 2018, 04:50 PM
My routine is the CWC method, and I let it air dry. The shampoo I use is the Pantene repair & protect, and I use the Loreal Nutri gloss conditioner :) & I use coconut oil in my hair once every month or two, but it doesn't really make a difference in my hair I think.

Good method! If you want your hair weighed down more, try putting both your conditioners after your wash (WCC method); that may also mean it could get too oily, but it's something you could experiment with if you want your hair weighed down more, perhaps?

Reservechic
February 16th, 2018, 05:25 PM
With 1b type hair, your hair is naturally as close to almost being bone straight. I don't know if you are looking to achieve 1a type natural looking hair, or if you're truly looking for help with taming frizz? It just maybe that you need to experiment with switching up hair products, as your hair may not possibly respond best to Pantene's shampoo. You may need a more gentler, sulfate free shampoo perhaps? Pantene's shampoos definitely don't work the same for all people. From my own personal experience with them, they were very drying and rough on my hair. However, my hair has never responded well to anything that I've used by Pantene. And, maybe adding a styler to your hair are regimen may also be needed as well. Also, you may possibly need to go from doing the CWC method to a different hair care routine, such as shampoo, condition (whether it be with a DC or regular rinse out conditioner)and style (using a styling product or products that's geared towards taming frizz prone hair that are lightweight enough not to weigh down your hair).

Also, I understand that you happen to envy another female's pin straight smooth hair, however, there's nothing wrong with your natural hair. It just takes learning through trial and error what works best towards properly managing it. The girl that you're envying may have been born with naturally straight hair or she may regularly flatiron it. You never know.

Simsy
February 16th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Speaking as someone who had frizz with a side of hair right through school, you have a couple of possibilities that I know of.

1) The frizz is a mix of new growth and breakage. Mine was mostly breakage from being too dry and rough handling. This can be helped by gentler handeling and lots more moisture. Mine also improved by ditching my hairbrush and switching to finger detangling. Your routine sounds good for moisture. I haven’t had much luck with Pantene myself; it shredded my hair; but if it’s working for you then easy.

2) That frizz can also be stealth curls. This is surprisingly common from what I have seen. Curls that are a bit closer to the 2a and 1c textures can hide remarkably well amongst the straighter sections, and can look like frizz if they aren’t happy. Curls are naturally dry and need a bit of extra care and gentle handling. This is only a suggestion, but it might be worth perhaps trying a deep conditioning treatment and letting the hair air dry without touching; just to see what pops up.

I’m suggesting possible curls only because this was me in high school, trying to work out why my hair always looked like I had stuck a finger in a power socket. Once I worked out how to handle the curls I had, everything became easier to manage. Less breakage, less frizz and less Einstein impressions.

Good luck.

krispie
February 17th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the advices from y'all! I think I'll buy the Neutrogena conditioner & try it :) I am still new to pretty much everything on LLC but I've read about washing hair only 2 times a month, so I wanna try that too :)

spidermom
February 17th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I notice that if I smooth my hair back with a little gel and bun it (but not a tight bun), the surface looks much more smooth than usual when I take it down.

lapushka
February 17th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the advices from y'all! I think I'll buy the Neutrogena conditioner & try it :) I am still new to pretty much everything on LLC but I've read about washing hair only 2 times a month, so I wanna try that too :)

One tiny piece of advice if you're going to be stretching washes... go slowly. Do this one day *more* at a time, per week, and stretch the time you're stretching out. It can take months. Don't just not wash for 2 weeks; horrible things might happen to your scalp.

I used to need to wash 2/3 x a week. And due to a medical condition I suddenly could not wash my hair but for once every 14 days (serious vertigo spells then, now: Menière). I got SD but bad (seborrheic dermatitis) and it was *not* pleasant!

Joyful Mystery
February 17th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Probably not popular advice, but for me, my hair is much smoother when I blow dry it (on cool and after its air dried for a bit).

Like lapushka said above, please be careful stretching washes, you could do more harm than good.

SeRe
February 17th, 2018, 03:01 PM
When I do the following I always get super smooth hair, so smooth that my hair sticks don't hold. Even my wavy underlayer becomes smooth. But I don't do this often since it makes my scalp oily. YMMV.

1. Oil heavily overnight with sesame oil
2. Wash with shampoo, condition, rinse with weak ACV solution
3. Apply Garnier Fructis Leave In Cream (quarter size for my almost tailbone length hair), followed by John Freida's frizz ease serum (2 pumps) on wet hair
4. Comb when damp
5. When fully dry, comb with a fine tooth comb, spray some "Its a 10" leave in in my palms, rub and smooth over hair

The key here is sesame oil for me I think.

Note that my hair type is a 1c/2a, if that. I have a straight canopy, slight wavy underlayer. The ends of my hair sort of wave.

Lady Stardust
February 17th, 2018, 03:38 PM
My hair frizzes if it needs more moisture. I use a lightweight version of the LCO/LOC method, just using tiny amounts of detangler and then Nightblooming salve after washing and conditioning.

If I want to make a bit of an effort for a night out I'll use an anti-frizz serum but that's only once a month at the most.

Although 1b is technically straight, there can be a fair bit of wave lurking in there that wants to spring out, and baby hairs are particularly partial to that. My hair is very wavy when wet and almost stick straight when dry. I find it best to touch it as little as possible after I've washed it, it looks a mess but then lies down straight and flat when it's dry, just the ends curl under or out.

My hair is only completely smooth when it's had moisturising deep conditioner, or serum, or it's been blow dried when I get it cut. The rest of the time, I don't worry about the flyaways, I like hair to be free to move, and I just pretend that it adds volume.

MusicalSpoons
February 17th, 2018, 05:06 PM
:scissors:

Although 1b is technically straight, there can be a fair bit of wave lurking in there that wants to spring out, and baby hairs are particularly partial to that. My hair is very wavy when wet and almost stick straight when dry. I find it best to touch it as little as possible after I've washed it, it looks a mess but then lies down straight and flat when it's dry, just the ends curl under or out.

My hair is only completely smooth when it's had moisturising deep conditioner, or serum, or it's been blow dried when I get it cut. The rest of the time, I don't worry about the flyaways, I like hair to be free to move, and I just pretend that it adds volume.

Mine does that exactly! And like you, I like the volume and life my unruly hairs give :grin:

Haruna
February 20th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I've had frizzy hair for as long as I can remember. Recently, I've put some ACV in my mister bottle and it has helped IMMENSELY. Black tea has helped too.

Caraid♫
February 20th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I have 1C hair so maybe fairly similar...
My hair is smoothest when I
-do a vinegar rinse after washing
-blow dry, but not on a hot setting, just a gentle temperature
-put it up in a bun for a few hours- when I take it down it's waaaay smoother and has natural looking big smooth waves in it. I'd say wearing my hair up for a bit is my most effect hair-smoother

I also find that for me, using lots of conditioner or oiling too often doesn't really make my hair smoother, just limp. I wash (two rounds of shampoo) from root to tip, use a moderate amount of conditioner on the ends and the vinegar rinse. I oil every few weeks before washing
If CWC works for you, awesome! But if you're not happy with your routine, I'd suggest going back to just WC and vinegar rinse just to see, and if it's a no-go go back to CWC. What works for me might not work for others I realize haha, just giving some ideas :D

Natalina
February 20th, 2018, 11:19 PM
What I do to tame my frizz, particularly on my crown area, is by applying a small amount of hair oils/serums. I use only a pea-sized amount, rub them in-between my palms for a few seconds, then apply it starting from my ends, to the back of my head, and lastly all over my crown area in a "brushing down" motion.

Personally, hair oils/serums are a favorite part of my hair routine. I'm currently using L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil (Gold) and Lucido-L (Pink). I used to use baby oils but they were too heavy and didn't combat my frizz as well, but that's just me. :) I hope you find a solution that works for you too!

Soulina
February 21st, 2018, 12:45 AM
It is funny that we seem to always want what we cant have. I would love some waves or curls and texture but my natural 1a straight smooth silky hair thinks NO. It might be more of accepting your hair and finding the best in it. Trying to have same hare that some one else will newer work, especially if they have different hair type.

Glitch
February 21st, 2018, 02:57 AM
I have 1C hair so maybe fairly similar...
My hair is smoothest when I
-do a vinegar rinse after washing
-blow dry, but not on a hot setting, just a gentle temperature
-put it up in a bun for a few hours- when I take it down it's waaaay smoother and has natural looking big smooth waves in it. I'd say wearing my hair up for a bit is my most effect hair-smoother

I also find that for me, using lots of conditioner or oiling too often doesn't really make my hair smoother, just limp. I wash (two rounds of shampoo) from root to tip, use a moderate amount of conditioner on the ends and the vinegar rinse. I oil every few weeks before washing
If CWC works for you, awesome! But if you're not happy with your routine, I'd suggest going back to just WC and vinegar rinse just to see, and if it's a no-go go back to CWC. What works for me might not work for others I realize haha, just giving some ideas :D

I second this. It's really weird, and I was actually surprised by it just a couple days ago. I got frustrated by some stubborn waves when I was trying out a new heatless straightening method, and just threw my hair up in an extremely high messy bun which sat right on top of my head while I washed my hair etc. When I took it out, the crinkles were almost all gone! My hair was super smooth, and I had only had it up for a few minutes. I did it again right away for another few minutes and it became even smoother (my current signature photo was the result). I don't often deal with super stubborn waves but yeah :)

Aside from that, I use a generic light argon oil spray to tame any frizz, which my hair absorbs immediately.

Glitch
February 21st, 2018, 02:59 AM
It is funny that we seem to always want what we cant have. I would love some waves or curls and texture but my natural 1a straight smooth silky hair thinks NO. It might be more of accepting your hair and finding the best in it. Trying to have same hare that some one else will newer work, especially if they have different hair type.

I feel you, the grass is always greener on the other side :beerchug: