PDA

View Full Version : I hate my hair. What can I do ?*pic*

StartingFrom0
February 16th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone. I started growing my hair about a year ago. It's longer now but I dyed it with a brown henna dye box and ruined it(about 4 months ago) ,now it's so dry and dull. It has a tone of red as well which I hate. I guess I should've just picked a box dye instead. I will never henna it again. Now the problem is my hair is really boring, I hate it and I have bangs I dislike as well. I want to change it. Should I got to the salon? Should I dye it brown ? Balayage or highlights maybe ? But I don't want to ruin it either. I'm so confused :-/

http://i64.tinypic.com/25fmy48.jpg

Margarita
February 16th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Dry and dull? You're kidding, right? Girl, your hair is AMAZING, i suggest you to not dye your hair again with henna since your first experience wasnt good. But, its difficult to use an original hair dye box upon henna dye, because it will result in even more dull and maybe damaged hair. I recommend you to visit a good hair colorist and ask her/his advice. Btw, dont be sad, you have pretty hair :) It would suit you to dye your hair black or highlights as you said :)

lapushka
February 16th, 2018, 09:35 AM
I agree. There is *nothing* wrong with your hair. If I were you I'd continue to grow the henna out, and I basically see not much of a line of demarcation, so that's good. I hardly see red in your hair either. So it's OK, trust me.

You've got gorgeous hair. If I were you I'd leave it be (no salon, no nothing) and let it grow. :flower:

Suze
February 16th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Your hair looks beautiful to me. I would not dye or bleach it. Just let it grow and take good care of your pretty locks!

nycelle
February 16th, 2018, 09:58 AM
You have gorgeous hair. It's what I hope mine will look like with your length (on day 2 and 3..lol)

But, if you want a change, balayage would look stunning (with an olaplex treatment).

Honestly though, you really don't need to do anything.

lapushka
February 16th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I would not go for bleach especially not if you had a "brown" henna mix in your hair. If there's any trace of indigo in there, it is going to turn *green* with bleach added on top!

Let's not forget that!

Agnieszka
February 16th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Start loving it, it's beautiful :-)

Chromis
February 16th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Change does not need to mean cutting or colouring. Have you learned any updos yet? You should have enough length now and they are super fun to play with. Plus that opens up a world of cool hairtoys!

chomsky
February 16th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I've been in this exact mood this week! Just an urge to do something drastic because my hair's boring! The feeling will pass, even if it takes an eternity to do so. :blossom:

If you're scared of damage I wouldn't suggest bleaching, especially if you get bored with your hair easily. Pre-henna'd hair problems aside, it's a very taxing process on your hair, and covering it up is a pain.

Spritz your hair and try out some heatless curls. Buy a new hair product or hair toy, like a pretty clip or something in a colour that matches your eyes! Buy some cheap clip-in hair extensions (I love playing with these).

If your feeling the urge to cut it, go for some really long layers, that way you don't have to wait ages for them to grow out if you don't like it.

LadyCelestina
February 16th, 2018, 11:02 AM
You have henna and possibly indigo on. Anything that involves bleach will end up bright orange/green unless you totally fry your hair with it.

Cover the henna with a good box dye or semi-permanent colour, like MP if you hate it.

There's nothing you can do about bangs, besides growing them out. There are tons of ways on how to style growing out bangs so it's not too much of an eye sore.

What's your routine? Something you do or don't do might be causing the dryness. Your hair seems to have some texture, if you comb that out, it might make your hair appear dull, frizzy or damaged.

Kake
February 16th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I also think your hair is lovely. Maybe it seems less shiny to you than before you coloured it? I've never used henna, but I thought it was supposed to make your hair look better?

Sounds like you need to grow out your fringe, not a quick solution I know, sorry.

cjk
February 16th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Two things.

First, I think your hair is beautiful. Bear in mind we are each our own worst critics and, because of that, I use a rule that I learned in competitive bearding. The 24-hour rule. There are several variations but the version i use states that, for each month you've grown your hair, wait a full day before cutting it. It gives you a cooling-off period during which you can consider your decision.

If at the end of that time, for me it's 13 months so I'd wait two weeks before cutting, you still want to trim...trim!

Second, desiring change and getting fed up with the frustrations does happen. But sometimes cutting is not the answer.

Change does not need to mean cutting or colouring. Have you learned any updos yet? You should have enough length now and they are super fun to play with. Plus that opens up a world of cool hairtoys!

This. So much of this.

I just started doing hairdos, French twists and the earliest stages of braiding. It totally changes the look and the weight distribution.

bparnell75
February 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone. I started growing my hair about a year ago. It's longer now but I dyed it with a brown henna dye box and ruined it(about 4 months ago) ,now it's so dry and dull. It has a tone of red as well which I hate. I guess I should've just picked a box dye instead. I will never henna it again. Now the problem is my hair is really boring, I hate it and I have bangs I dislike as well. I want to change it. Should I got to the salon? Should I dye it brown ? Balayage or highlights maybe ? But I don't want to ruin it either. I'm so confused :-/

http://i64.tinypic.com/25fmy48.jpg

I would love to have your hair. I found Argon oil shampoo by Herbal Essence make my hair shine.
Also you can do amazing buns with that much hair! Check out the bun tutorials on YouTube. I invented the Spock Bun which gives a lovely big bun Pixie and Sarahlabrynth made tutorials.

StartingFrom0
February 16th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions and your kind words! I ended up dying it dark brown with a very expensive ammonia free hair dye popular in my country andit came out great. Hair is shinier too! I don't know if I am going to continue dyeing it for a long time though, I'm scared of the chemicals

Margarita
February 16th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Im glad you fixed your hair! :D I suggest you not to dye your hair anymore and re-dye it again after 2-3 months to get better results and let your hair rest a bit. :)

lithostoic
February 16th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Ooh that sounds pretty!

Dark40
February 16th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! There isn't anything wrong with it. But if you want change I agree with the others to go to a colorist, and get their advice on what to do. But, let it grow, and don't be sad. Your hair is so pretty at that length! I hope when mine gets to be that length it will look like yours. :)

Dark40
February 16th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Ooh, that sounds like a very pretty color! I love dark brown or black hair!

Wildcat Diva
February 16th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Leave it alone and love it. Why not? You are fortunate. Enjoy your OBVIOUS beauty.

(Hope that this helps, lovely lady).

leayellena
February 17th, 2018, 02:24 AM
Your hair looks good. Stop going to hairdressers because it only ends in tears. Try microtrims http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468. I still have tapered ends and a strange curls because of what's left of my layers but I love to see almost stick straight flyaways and mostly straight hair until bra strap length.
Maybe your hair hates hena. There are people complaining about oils drying their hair or not actually doing anything. There are also people who love cone-free products. I tried them all and I am back to cones. Cutting hair doesn't mean Rapunzel hair by the next day, it takes cca. 1 cm per month for hair to grow. not to mention (hairdresser) trims that further stops the hair growth.

I don't understand how people can actually cut their hair because of a bad day... It's all waste of money and time

chomsky
February 17th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions and your kind words! I ended up dying it dark brown with a very expensive ammonia free hair dye popular in my country andit came out great. Hair is shinier too! I don't know if I am going to continue dyeing it for a long time though, I'm scared of the chemicals

Yay! I'm glad you found something to do with your hair that makes you happy. :o If you're not too fond of the chemicals in permanent dye, you could try those other ones, demi-permanant? Semi? I can't remember, but the ones like Manic Panic and Adore. They just deposit colour and wash our after.

patienceneeded
February 19th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Watch out for the henna. Be honest about it if you do end up going to a salon...many will not touch dye if you have henna in it. The chemical dye and the henna do not play nicely together and will likely wreck your color and possibly your hair. The salon does not want to be blamed for that one, so be careful. Your hair is lovely right now, so let it be.

Maybe focus on some new updos? Get a few pretty hair toys to play with? Learn to pin your bangs out of the way while they grow?