PDA

View Full Version : Routine review, which shampoo, conditioner, rinse should I buy?

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Hello dear LHC members and friends,

I had posted yesterday, and based on the responses, I got inspired to use a milder shampoo and add back a conditioner to my routine. I had a little bit of Nature's Gate Calming shampoo and matching Calming conditioner left at the back of my shelf, so I used it. After that, the new hair was slightly more manageable. The wavy underlayer was less wavy (more consistent with my overall hair type) and less frizzy, and my hair was overall smoother and easier to manage.

My shampoo and conditioner is now over, so I am looking for suggestions for a mild shampoo and conditioner that I can buy. Here are my requirements:

Shampoo - Should remove oil as I oil heavily and very frequently, almost 4 times a week. Shampoo preferred under $15-$20. I usually wash in the mornings and do not have too much time to wash my hair

Conditioner - A very mild, natural conditioner would be preferred. I am adding back conditioner to my routine after a long time. Preferred under $20.

I really liked Nature's gate, maybe I could try a new variant in the range? I noticed that my hair fall was very less after washing today.

I do not experiment with shampoos and conditioners and always finish what I buy. I have only tried 4 drugstore shampoos before (Tressemme deep clean, Pantene classic clean, Aussie Volume, Loreal Total repair). I have only tried Nature's gate conditioner.

Any suggestions for leave-in conditioners, serums etc also welcome. As are suggestions for rinses.

Does anyone use Indian herbs (Shikakai) to wash their hair? Please post here.

Thank you all so much. I would really appreciate a response soon, as I need to buy my hair products this weekend.

For those who didn't read my previous post, my routine is re-posted:

1. Oil overnight (every other day)
2. Wash the morning after night oil application - Tressemme clarifying shampoo or Aussie Volume shampoo
3. No conditioner
4. John frieda frizz ease leave in serum extra strength
5. Followed by Garnier fructis leave in conditioner (smooth and silky) OR Its a 10 miracle leave in

My scalp does not like conditioner.

Hair type: Naturally 2A, becomes 1C sometimes depending on location, weather, henna application etc

My hair has a wavier under layer while the canopy is fully straight

My hair has a wavier under layer while the canopy is fully straight, so anything that will get the wavy layer less wavy will help.

Oily-ish scalp, normal hair.

I always air dry. i never heat style my hair.

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 09:56 PM
bump bump :D

Ophidian
February 15th, 2018, 10:11 PM
I use Indian herbs (including shikakai) to wash from time to time. I really like them, but it can take a lot of time to research and tweak recipes until you find what works for you. There are several threads in the recipes and herbal haircare section if you are interested in learning more and there is a great article compiled by members Shell and Mira-Chan.

As far as product recs go, I have used Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture and Acure Argan Ultra Hydrating shampoos recently and liked them both a lot. They are both pretty mild and moisturizing formulas. Since reactions to products vary so much and you said that you don't like to buy a lot of products just to experiment, though, I wonder if it might be helpful to repurchase a shampoo you already know you like but add a rinse-out conditioner to see if that makes a difference rather than changing everything at once. That coupled with a little aloe gel or something to slick the fly-away bits down until they grow out might be all you need, unless you really want to do a total routine overhaul.

You seem to be building your routine around the oiling, is it important to you to do heavy oilings several times a week? I'm not questioning it if so, just thought it might be helpful to understand your priorities.

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 10:19 PM
I use Indian herbs (including shikakai) to wash from time to time. I really like them, but it can take a lot of time to research and tweak recipes until you find what works for you. There are several threads in the recipes and herbal haircare section if you are interested in learning more and there is a great article compiled by members Shell and Mira-Chan.

As far as product recs go, I have used Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture and Acure Argan Ultra Hydrating shampoos recently and liked them both a lot. They are both pretty mild and moisturizing formulas. Since reactions to products vary so much and you said that you don't like to buy a lot of products just to experiment, though, I wonder if it might be helpful to repurchase a shampoo you already know you like but add a rinse-out conditioner to see if that makes a difference rather than changing everything at once. That coupled with a little aloe gel or something to slick the fly-away bits down until they grow out might be all you need, unless you really want to do a total routine overhaul.

You seem to be building your routine around the oiling, is it important to you to do heavy oilings several times a week? I'm not questioning it if so, just thought it might be helpful to understand your priorities.
I would be interested in the Indian herbs thread, and would like to know how you use shikakai and where you buy it. I'll go look for that thread in a bit.

Yes, I was a product junkie a few years ago but made the conscious decision to change, and I have stuck to my resolve for a few years :-) Now I make sure I finish what I buy. You are right, maybe I could go with Nature's gate again since I liked it.

My routine is oil heavy because it saved my hair. I went from scalp being visible and weak hair to nice, thick, long and silky hair in 3 years. Now, I'll never go without oiling :-)

Will the shampoos you recommended remove oil?

Ophidian
February 15th, 2018, 10:22 PM
They remove oil on my hair, but I tend to apply small amounts daily instead of a single heavy oiling so it probably doesn't have to work as hard.

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 10:27 PM
They remove oil on my hair, but I tend to apply small amounts daily instead of a single heavy oiling so it probably doesn't have to work as hard.

Okay, that makes sense. To give you an idea of how much oil I use:
On scalp - 5 teaspoons
On length (touches tailbone in the shower) - 6 teaspoons

melikai
February 15th, 2018, 10:39 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I read very good things about Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing shampoo. I've tried a ton of different shampoos and conditioners, but found them all too harsh for me save a couple. However, I imagine if they are too gentle, they won't remove that amount of oil.

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 10:43 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I read very good things about Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing shampoo. I've tried a ton of different shampoos and conditioners, but found them all too harsh for me save a couple. However, I imagine if they are too gentle, they won't remove that amount of oil.

That's true. Maybe I should try the Nature's Gate variant you mentioned. I hope someone else who has used the shampoo sees this and responds.

Ophidian
February 16th, 2018, 02:48 AM
If you don’t get any answers on the Nature’s Gate, maybe check the conventional products section of the forum? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a thread there on NG and you might find some of the info you’re looking for there.

ReptilianFeline
February 16th, 2018, 02:54 AM
Okay, that makes sense. To give you an idea of how much oil I use:
On scalp - 5 tablespoons
On length (touches tailbone in the shower) - 6 tablespoons

That's a lot of oil! What kind do you use?

If you go the no-poo path, it will take a lot of adjusting and experimenting. Your water will play a role in it. I have moved from indian herbs to chickpea flour and juniper water, and will try oat and rye flour as an alternative to chickpea flour. I barely use shikakai anymore. My scalp is almost itch-free, just a few places where I think I might have some kind of exzema... something I didn't know before I started on this. I shed very little compared to before when I used shampoo and conditioner. I also use coconut oil as a detangler/codntioner when I need it. With my no-poo mix, I need less of that as well.

It's not for the fainthearted. It takes time, but most of what you use can be bought in the baking sektion of the grocery store :)

lapushka
February 16th, 2018, 07:58 AM
You could try the Hask line (sulfate-free). Or, the Maui Moisture line (also sulfate-free).

For conditioner you could stick to the Nature's Gate. But the lines I mentioned above do great conditioners.

Leave-in? Simple. The JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture. It comes in a tub and is very runny, so beware of that. But the lines mentioned might have a leave-in too. Might want to check that out.

SeRe
February 16th, 2018, 07:34 PM

If you go the no-poo path, it will take a lot of adjusting and experimenting. Your water will play a role in it. I have moved from indian herbs to chickpea flour and juniper water, and will try oat and rye flour as an alternative to chickpea flour. I barely use shikakai anymore. My scalp is almost itch-free, just a few places where I think I might have some kind of exzema... something I didn't know before I started on this. I shed very little compared to before when I used shampoo and conditioner. I also use coconut oil as a detangler/codntioner when I need it. With my no-poo mix, I need less of that as well.

It's not for the fainthearted. It takes time, but most of what you use can be bought in the baking sektion of the grocery store :)

Sorry, I meant teaspoons and wrote tablespoons instead :-P

Why don't you use shikakai? I have tried chickpea flour but it makes my hair smell weird.

SeRe
February 16th, 2018, 07:34 PM
You could try the Hask line (sulfate-free). Or, the Maui Moisture line (also sulfate-free).

For conditioner you could stick to the Nature's Gate. But the lines I mentioned above do great conditioners.

Leave-in? Simple. The JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture. It comes in a tub and is very runny, so beware of that. But the lines mentioned might have a leave-in too. Might want to check that out.

Thank you. Let me try to find all of these at my nearest Ulta.

Natashap
February 17th, 2018, 01:51 AM
Thank you. Let me try to find all of these at my nearest Ulta.

Both lines can be found at Walmart too.

ReptilianFeline
February 17th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Sorry, I meant teaspoons and wrote tablespoons instead :-P

Why don't you use shikakai? I have tried chickpea flour but it makes my hair smell weird.

Teaspoons make a lot more sense :)

I use very little shikakai or areetha, because I think it might not be needed. I'm still trying to make a good mix with things I don't have to order online :)

The key to chickpea flour seems to be twofold... make the mix at least 8 hours in advance so the flour can absorb as much water as possible, and add some cinnamon or cloves (powdered). I didn't like the pea smell at first, but the result from the wash was good enough for me to try and make it work. Something in my mix is dampening the pea smell... cinnamon, cloves, or the rose or orangeblossom water, or the juniper water.

SeRe
February 17th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Will the JBCO leave-in work on straighter hair like mine? I looked it up and it seems to be formulated for curlier types?

SeRe
February 17th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Teaspoons make a lot more sense :)

I use very little shikakai or areetha, because I think it might not be needed. I'm still trying to make a good mix with things I don't have to order online :)

The key to chickpea flour seems to be twofold... make the mix at least 8 hours in advance so the flour can absorb as much water as possible, and add some cinnamon or cloves (powdered). I didn't like the pea smell at first, but the result from the wash was good enough for me to try and make it work. Something in my mix is dampening the pea smell... cinnamon, cloves, or the rose or orangeblossom water, or the juniper water.

That's interesting. I should try it. I have a lot of chickpea flour with me.

How do you use shikakai, when you do?

SeRe
February 17th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Both lines can be found at Walmart too.

Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks! :-)

lapushka
February 17th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Will the JBCO leave-in work on straighter hair like mine? I looked it up and it seems to be formulated for curlier types?

Yep, just be careful of the amount you use. Like a pea to a coinsize spread through palms and then smoothed over the ends.

This lady uses it too, you might not think so, but she does, go through a few empties videos of her:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ElleIsForLivingAz

SeRe
February 17th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Yep, just be careful of the amount you use. Like a pea to a coinsize spread through palms and then smoothed over the ends.

This lady uses it too, you might not think so, but she does, go through a few empties videos of her:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ElleIsForLivingAz

Oh yes, then surely I can use it too for my type.

Wendyp
February 18th, 2018, 05:55 AM
I’m current following jjjs method, she has a webpage and like floor length hair. someone told me years ago when I first started here that it's not about the products really it’s the method. I really think its mostly true. Somethings are important such as does hair like silicones? And do you need sulfates, but not about brands really. And it takes a long time to see results with following the correct method for your hair. With that said I’m a hair product now toy junkie lol. so currently I’m usung organx diluted 20/80 %. Yes it cleans and My hair got less greasy this week! Conditioner is nutrogena thriple moisture, I found out my hair needs and loves cones. Then rinse within nightblooming herbs, 3 drops of her oil then a peac size of one of her salves. Hope this helps!!

ReptilianFeline
February 18th, 2018, 07:59 AM
That's interesting. I should try it. I have a lot of chickpea flour with me.

How do you use shikakai, when you do?

I make my 'poo mix with about half a cup of chickpea flour, a teaspoon of shikakai or areetha and/or neem powder, and water (homemade juniper water, could be pine water). I am experimenting a bit with ingredients, but I use the mix as it is, I don't strain it. I use the "bits" in the mix as a scrub. I have used henna and indigo powder as a scrub as well, and cinnamon and cloves mostly for the smell. I tried a mix of areetha and shikakai and amla at first, but that didn't work for me. Then I added chickpea flour and was on the right track for my hair and my water.

It takes time to figure out what and how to do it. I will have to adjust as my hair and scalp changes, but at this point, I have a base to work with and know that if things doesn't turn out how I want it, next week, I'll be back on track with one of the mixes I know works.

SeRe
February 19th, 2018, 03:11 PM

That's pretty intense and time consuming, but a LOVELY and sustainable recipe. I'm so glad that you are doing this, and I wish I could, but I wake up late most mornings and rush to wash my hair.

How long does it take you to wash, and how often do you wash your hair?

ReptilianFeline
February 26th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Well, preparing the 'poo mix takes a few minutes, then it rests until I need it.

Application does take a few moments longer than just using regular shampoo, and then I let it sit in my hair while I do my other showering things.
Rinsing takes longer, but I think I will get better at it so I can cut down on rinsing a bit.

Total time washing my hair, compared to regular shampoo.... I'm not sure... a bit longer but that's from rinsing it out. I used to leave in some of my regular conditioner... something I shouldn't have done, so time is not exact.

I wash my hair ones a week, but that is something I've done all my life, even with regular shampoo. I wash on Sunday evenings.

If I were to wash more often, I would prepare a larger batch in advance and store it in the fridge so I could use it when I'm in a hurry. I would also keep down the time I keep it in my hair, and just rub my scalp and run my hands down the hair over and over and over again. I would also do my coffee or tea rinse quicker. Now I let it sit in my hair a few minutes before rinsing with water.