PDA

View Full Version : Should I highlight my hair?

Bethel
February 14th, 2018, 09:33 PM
I applied henna for the first time in my life only a week ago and I wish to highlight it with golden blonde streaks. My hair is naturally very dark so the henna didn't have any visible colour effects on it. Also would it damage my hair in any way if I do go for it?

Obsidian
February 15th, 2018, 04:47 AM
If you have henna, you most likely would get orange streaks, not golden blonde. Henna is notoriously permanent, not even multiple rounds of bleach will remove it.

Yes, highlights can damage your hair. Maybe just a little, maybe more. I've seen women growing out highlights who have those areas weaken and break off.

lapushka
February 15th, 2018, 05:20 AM
I applied henna for the first time in my life only a week ago and I wish to highlight it with golden blonde streaks. My hair is naturally very dark so the henna didn't have any visible colour effects on it. Also would it damage my hair in any way if I do go for it?

You will hardly get the "orange" from the henna out, not even with 2x full volume applications of bleach and then the orange likely will still not be gone (wasn't in my case). And by then you have to ask yourself, is it worth it turning my hair into "mush" over it?

Henna is henna and very permanent.

You have to make a choice in life, either highlights *or* henna, but you can't combine both unless you want to keep the orange in the hair.

OhSuzi
February 15th, 2018, 07:16 AM
maybe try a test streak somewhere (on the underneath very small section of hair - say at the nape - and see what colour it goes - you might lighten it, but I imagine as suggested above the orangey ness of henna will still be there.
And Yes Bleach is damaging to hair it will thin it & dry it out & make it more porous & more likely to break - but you know, people have bleached their hair & lived to tell the tail - it doesn't all just fall out instantly - it won't be in as nice condition as shiny healthy virgin hair - but it is possible.

If you like the colour of the test patch and you can live with whatever condition it results in and you're only going for a few highlights - then by all means try it out.

When ever you tinker with your hair be prepared to accept the risk - it might look lovely and be awesome, but then again you might not like the results, you might wish to correct it but further tinkering might cause too much damage and you'll either have to put up with what you've done to yourself already or possibly even be prepared for a big chop!

If you're not too precious about your hair or you're young with plenty of time to experiment & have many years left for regrowing it / honing your dying / bleaching skills then make some informed choices and dye / bleach away to your hearts content!

chomsky
February 15th, 2018, 10:03 AM
If your looking for change and ready for the upkeep, go for it! Just have an idea of a regime, and a list of products/treatments your willing to try to keep your hair OK.

BUT BUT BUT henna will not be to keen on bleaching out, as the others have said. It sits on top of the hair, whereas bleaching takes out. A bit like taking your shopping out of a plastic bag, the bag is still there, haha. It will be damaging but even without henna, it would be damaging to get that blonde on dark hair.

If your hair is super dark, like mine, I wouldn't suggest highlights that light, though. If not done well the contrast might make your hair look straw-like. Maybe a nice warm/cool brown depended on your natural lift and the henna. Patch test and see how you like the colour first, especially if you're doing it at home.

I agree with OhSuzi, hair is one of those great things that you can play with and get a new set (in a few years) if you don't like it. It's not like you're getting a tattoo!

Bethel
February 15th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Actually I tried the colour on a few strands of my hair the colour wasn't golden blonde but a light brown.. Since my hair is dark it would look good on it I guess.. What say?

lapushka
February 15th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Actually I tried the colour on a few strands of my hair the colour wasn't golden blonde but a light brown.. Since my hair is dark it would look good on it I guess.. What say?

You have to decide for yourself whether that is OK or not. Right? :)

lucid
February 15th, 2018, 04:06 PM
If you are planning to grow your hair long, I wouldn't do it. For me, BSL to MBL was fine with highlights, no visible damage. However, my TBL hair cannot take it. I have to cut away almost a year of growth now because the highlighted parts are breaking off from the bottom and up to mid back...