PDA

View Full Version : Managing new hair growth - Your help requested

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Hello All,
I'm posting after a really long time. I'm sorry that I fell off the radar for a while due to work and other activities.
I am requesting help from my beautiful fellow members. I have waist length hair that I am maintaining by regular trims. All the hair is one length as I have managed to grow out my layers.
A while back, I had hair loss. This was due to a ferritin deficiency. The hair loss was corrected by supplements and ayurvedic hair oils. During my hair cut in November last year, my hair dresser discovered a lot of new growth that was maybe 2 inches long all over my head. The growth is now about 4-5 inches long and sticks out like a halo. I really don't know what to do to manage it.
I used to do periodic henna applications that made my 2A hair more like 1C. Can this help manage my new growth too? If yes, i can resume. I have black hair so color is not an issue.
Do you recommend any products that can help me?

My current routine -
1. Oil overnight (every other day)
2. Wash the morning after night oil application - Tressemme clarifying shampoo or Aussie Volume shampoo
3. No conditioner
4. John frieda frizz ease leave in serum extra strength
5. Followed by Garnier fructis leave in conditioner (smooth and silky) OR Its a 10 miracle leave in

As you can see, my routine has SLS, as my scalp seems to be fine with it. My routine is also cone heavy.

Any help is appreciated, with the new growth as well as with my routine. My hair has a wavier under layer while the canopy is fully straight, so anything that will get the wavy layer less wavy will help.

Thank you.

Lizzie.torp
February 14th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I would recommend using a more gentle shampoo daily and only use your clarifying once a month. The volumizing shampoo is likely causing frizz since it's volumizing the individual hairs and you should only need to clarify once a month since it's drying. Also, a spritz of the leave in rubbed in your hands and smoothed over might do the trick.

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 08:05 PM
I would recommend using a more gentle shampoo daily and only use your clarifying once a month. The volumizing shampoo is likely causing frizz since it's volumizing the individual hairs and you should only need to clarify once a month since it's drying. Also, a spritz of the leave in rubbed in your hands and smoothed over might do the trick.
Thank you. I use a lot of oil, so I need a strong shampoo to was it off. Is there a shampoo you recommend that can get rid of the oil ?

Ophidian
February 14th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Conditioner can do a good job of removing oil, some feel it works better than shampoo. If your scalp is ok with it it might be worth seeing if you can get the majority of the oil out with conditioner if you like to oil heavily, then shampoo your scalp and a bit more condish on the length (or something like that).

wannabe-rusalka
February 14th, 2018, 08:44 PM
I can attest that conditioner does a better job of getting heavy oils out of my hair at least. If you want, try putting a crap ton of cheapo conditioner on your entire head and massage that in and leave it for a little bit- this should get most of the oil out. I don't use silicone conditioners so I'm not sure how well they work to get oil out of the hair. If you'd like to try come cheapo silicone free conditioners for this VO5 and Suave naturals have some very cheap options (both being well under $10 at Walmart). After rinsing out the conditioner I typically shampoo- I use a shampoo bar which is much gentler than a sulfate shampoo and are kinda crap at getting out heavy oilings by themselves because of being so gentle, so I know that the conditioner must get the majority of the oil out.

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Conditioner can do a good job of removing oil, some feel it works better than shampoo. If your scalp is ok with it it might be worth seeing if you can get the majority of the oil out with conditioner if you like to oil heavily, then shampoo your scalp and a bit more condish on the length (or something like that).
For some reason, i don't prefer using conditioner, especially on my scalp. Shampoos are better for me. I tried using conditioner before and it didn't remove the oil.

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 09:06 PM
I don't like using conditioner on my scalp. I tried it and it didn't remove any oil. Maybe my technique is wrong, or maybe I drench my hair in oil. But it doesn't seem to work for me.

But I welcome any shampoo suggestions.

Ophidian
February 14th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Have you experimented with any other styling products, or the order in which you apply them? I’m thinking of something like LOC/LCO, to help you get and seal as much moisture into your hair as you can without weighing it down..

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Have you experimented with any other styling products, or the order in which you apply them? I’m thinking of something like LOC/LCO, to help you get and seal as much moisture into your hair as you can without weighing it down..
I'm sorry, I dont know what you mean by LOC/LCO.

Ophidian
February 14th, 2018, 09:27 PM
It’s a styling method that involves layering different kinds of products in small amounts to add moisture to the hair and then seal it in. There’s a thread on it here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167

Or if you are happy with your routine, maybe it could be as simple as using a light gel (even aloe) just to tame the fly away bits.

Flowerness
February 14th, 2018, 09:35 PM
I hear you about the regrowth. I had "wings" on my temples for about a year. Naturally, they curled UP. Like they wanted to wave at the world! I found using heavier formulas of shampoo and conditioners helped, as well as any type of hair goo marked as being good for "fly away hair." I'm currently using VO5 Conditioning Cream (love the smell- reminds me of my childhood!) before washes sometimes and it is good for that. Anything marked as being moisturizing, when paired with a heavy conditioner will weigh my hair down fast.

Congrats on all the new growth, btw. Thats really great!

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 10:09 PM
It’s a styling method that involves layering different kinds of products in small amounts to add moisture to the hair and then seal it in. There’s a thread on it here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167

Or if you are happy with your routine, maybe it could be as simple as using a light gel (even aloe) just to tame the fly away bits.
Very useful. Are there any products/brands you can recommend?

SeRe
February 14th, 2018, 10:11 PM
I hear you about the regrowth. I had "wings" on my temples for about a year. Naturally, they curled UP. Like they wanted to wave at the world! I found using heavier formulas of shampoo and conditioners helped, as well as any type of hair goo marked as being good for "fly away hair." I'm currently using VO5 Conditioning Cream (love the smell- reminds me of my childhood!) before washes sometimes and it is good for that. Anything marked as being moisturizing, when paired with a heavy conditioner will weigh my hair down fast.

Congrats on all the new growth, btw. Thats really great!

Thank you. I feel so happy when I see the growth in the mirror!
I should try to find the conditioning cream you mention. Maybe it can help my new growth too.
Have you observed that heavier formulas make your hair straighter? That sort of happens to me.

Flowerness
February 14th, 2018, 10:31 PM
The VO5 is the old fashioned stuff in a tube. Its one of those multiple purpose things. Lots of good styling products work great on fly aways. See what you prefer. I tend to use heavier formulas and it does weigh down the fluffy pouf thing my hair does. It can straighten it out, a bit. Depending on the mood of my hair. Sometimes it gets uber curly, then crazy straight. When that doesn't work, a wet hand run over my hair is a last try. Mostly, I do what I can,then give up. My hair is tenacious. And I think it has willpower stronger then mine, actually!

CrowningGlory
February 14th, 2018, 11:27 PM
I also had hair loss due to ferritin and am on supplements. I've also had the same length all over short hairs. Still do. I use a mix of aloe vera gel and Alba Botanica styling gel (it was the only one I could get at the Health Shop). A tiny bit of this smoothed over my scalp keeps me from looking as if I stuck my finger in an electric socket. I have also found using a chlorine filter and adding citric acid to my rinse water (we have hard water) has made a huge difference to my hair. I suspect our heavily chlorinated town supply was really drying out my hair. I use diluted organic shampoos and I also like to experiment with herbal teas to add moisture back in.

Those hairs can be a real pain but try to celebrate them as evidence of new growth. And, if you're like me, you'll have them for a very long time as they slowly grow to the length of the rest of your hair.

maborosi
February 15th, 2018, 12:50 AM
SeRe, I'm kind of in the same boat regarding conditioner (I don't Co-wash much anymore because the conditioner wasn't getting my scalp clean enough and I was ending up with acne)

TBH, I just dilute my shampoo with water, or do shampoo+conditioner mix so I'm not putting so much on my hair.

Some coney shampoos seem to do less damage, I'm guessing the added cones help. My hair loves cones, too. So no shame in my cone game :)

Congrats on your new growth! I have a bit on my front hairline, and I've been growing out my nape hair and "sideburns". They stick out so I slick them down with some aloe vera gel.

lapushka
February 15th, 2018, 05:26 AM
My current routine -
1. Oil overnight (every other day)
2. Wash the morning after night oil application - Tressemme clarifying shampoo or Aussie Volume shampoo
3. No conditioner
4. John frieda frizz ease leave in serum extra strength
5. Followed by Garnier fructis leave in conditioner (smooth and silky) OR Its a 10 miracle leave in

As you can see, my routine has SLS, as my scalp seems to be fine with it. My routine is also cone heavy.

Any help is appreciated, with the new growth as well as with my routine. My hair has a wavier under layer while the canopy is fully straight, so anything that will get the wavy layer less wavy will help.

Thank you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, is my motto. I use sulfates and silicones too, and there is nothing wrong with it. :)

Just let it grow, and maybe slick it down with some gel if it bothers you, but otherwise, it should be just fine. :flower:

The link to the LOC/LCO method is in my signature, should you want it. Remember, not to use too much product per each layer. A coinsize for about classic length is enough. Should your hair be shorter, use less! No joke!

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 07:39 PM
The VO5 is the old fashioned stuff in a tube. Its one of those multiple purpose things. Lots of good styling products work great on fly aways. See what you prefer. I tend to use heavier formulas and it does weigh down the fluffy pouf thing my hair does. It can straighten it out, a bit. Depending on the mood of my hair. Sometimes it gets uber curly, then crazy straight. When that doesn't work, a wet hand run over my hair is a last try. Mostly, I do what I can,then give up. My hair is tenacious. And I think it has willpower stronger then mine, actually!

Haha, that's funny. But the curls are very attractive! :-)

I'll try to find the VO5.

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 07:40 PM
I also had hair loss due to ferritin and am on supplements. I've also had the same length all over short hairs. Still do. I use a mix of aloe vera gel and Alba Botanica styling gel (it was the only one I could get at the Health Shop). A tiny bit of this smoothed over my scalp keeps me from looking as if I stuck my finger in an electric socket. I have also found using a chlorine filter and adding citric acid to my rinse water (we have hard water) has made a huge difference to my hair. I suspect our heavily chlorinated town supply was really drying out my hair. I use diluted organic shampoos and I also like to experiment with herbal teas to add moisture back in.

Those hairs can be a real pain but try to celebrate them as evidence of new growth. And, if you're like me, you'll have them for a very long time as they slowly grow to the length of the rest of your hair.

Can you please share which organic shampoos you use? And herbal teas too? Thank you.

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 07:41 PM
SeRe, I'm kind of in the same boat regarding conditioner (I don't Co-wash much anymore because the conditioner wasn't getting my scalp clean enough and I was ending up with acne)

TBH, I just dilute my shampoo with water, or do shampoo+conditioner mix so I'm not putting so much on my hair.

Some coney shampoos seem to do less damage, I'm guessing the added cones help. My hair loves cones, too. So no shame in my cone game :)

Congrats on your new growth! I have a bit on my front hairline, and I've been growing out my nape hair and "sideburns". They stick out so I slick them down with some aloe vera gel.

Thank you very much. Please share your routine with me if possible. You have lovely hair, especially the color. What a stunning red! Do you henna?

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Thank you, that thread is very interesting. I will surely go through it.

CrowningGlory
February 15th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Can you please share which organic shampoos you use? And herbal teas too? Thank you.

At the moment I have A'kin and Organic Care (not so organic but pretty good for a supermarket brand that's less than half the price of the ones from the Health Shop) in my cupboard. I've used another one with an unusual name which I can't remember just at present. I also used Chargrin Valley shampoo bars for a good number of years but never seemed to get really clean hair with them.

Today I used green tea. I also make sage or lavender or rosemary tea depending on my mood and my garden. I don't use catnip as it once turned my hair into a greasy mess.

As I mentioned I have a "layer" probably around BSL to waist now. DH commented on it one day when he was trimming, thinking it was damage and hair had broken off but then we realized it was that pesky layer growing down. I still have hairs that stick up but not in the abundance that I had when I first started getting new growth.

Some people also find honey helps but it might depend on your climate. For me, it made my hairs stick up worse than ever. Aloe vera gel is great but I find it works better for me mixed with something else . It also makes a good "tea" - a squirt in a jug of water and poured over your hair can help tame it (again, your mileage might differ depending on climate).

SeRe
February 15th, 2018, 10:36 PM
At the moment I have A'kin and Organic Care (not so organic but pretty good for a supermarket brand that's less than half the price of the ones from the Health Shop) in my cupboard. I've used another one with an unusual name which I can't remember just at present. I also used Chargrin Valley shampoo bars for a good number of years but never seemed to get really clean hair with them.

Today I used green tea. I also make sage or lavender or rosemary tea depending on my mood and my garden. I don't use catnip as it once turned my hair into a greasy mess.

As I mentioned I have a "layer" probably around BSL to waist now. DH commented on it one day when he was trimming, thinking it was damage and hair had broken off but then we realized it was that pesky layer growing down. I still have hairs that stick up but not in the abundance that I had when I first started getting new growth.

Some people also find honey helps but it might depend on your climate. For me, it made my hairs stick up worse than ever. Aloe vera gel is great but I find it works better for me mixed with something else . It also makes a good "tea" - a squirt in a jug of water and poured over your hair can help tame it (again, your mileage might differ depending on climate).

Great ideas, thank you for sharing! I would never have tried the aloe like that, but i will give it a shot :-)

It's so great that your new growth is so long, I can't wait for it to get to that stage :-)