PDA

View Full Version : Where to go shopping?

cjk
February 14th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Since joining LHC I've seen all sorts of hair accessories and hair toys that I've never encountered before. I had to google the definition of ficcare, for instance.

Well, where does one go to buy these things?

I know, I know, Walmart. Except that the selection in the local Walmart is very lackluster. And larger stores seem to have only a slightly larger selection. Not a great resource.

Sally Beauty? The local one is a tiny store with almost nothing in stock. Again, the glorious things I see showcased on this site do not exist there.

Online is always an option, but it's nice to see things in person.

So what stores carry hair toys? As my hair increases in length I have a feeling that I'll have to do some budgeting.

Suggestions?

neko_kawaii
February 14th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Ficcare is carried by nordstrom, so you can see those in person if you have one near you. Pretty much everything else you see on LHC is on Etsy with a few exceptions.

cjk
February 14th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Near is relative. I believe the closest Nordstrom is appx 75 miles away, though there used to be a Nordstrom Rack at an outlet mall slightly closer.

So...department stores.

As for etsy, that's online. I was hoping there was an IRL store that might carry this sort of thing. That's why I asking.

I'm new to long hair and hair accessories, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at in a catalog.

divinedobbie
February 14th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I have yet to see an IRL store that carries any hair toys above basic clips. I once saw a pair of awkward looking sticks at a Sally's. Like above, you can find fakkares (ficcare knock offs/look alikes) sometimes in stores like Walmart or Shoppers Drug Mart. If you were thinking about purchasing sticks I would probably try making your own using chopsticks, pencils, etc to see if you like wearing them and what approximate length you would need.

Other than that, your best bet is either etsy or try getting something off the swap board. There is a RAOK thread you might be interested in.

Crystawni
February 14th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I haunted the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46) forum on here to start with (and then swap board). I'm not sure where you are, but here in Australia we don't have much in the stores for longer/thicker hair, but the markets sometimes have Indonesian-made forks, sticks and clips that aren't bad for starting out.

chomsky
February 14th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Your best bet would be craft fairs. I'm in the UK so a lot of the hair toys I see on here are unavailable or are expensive to ship, I've very jelly of the US users at times with their gorgeous hairsticks. :lol: But the few hair sticks I do have were from various fairs and festivals, ranging from local craft ones to Witchfest (a Pagan event).

Sorry it's not a specific store, but I've no clue about US shops and the like. :o

HaMalka
February 14th, 2018, 04:12 PM
If you have an Asian Market or something similar nearby they are likely to sell chopsticks that can double as hairsticks and often have really pretty designs.

Corvana
February 14th, 2018, 04:15 PM
You could check around at Ren fairs, as well.

neko_kawaii
February 14th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Art/craft fairs, Renaissance fairs, and occasionally boutique or import shops (but these are often much lower quality than the Etsy shops that are regularly discussed on LHC).

I've tried Nordstrom Rack for Ficcares, they only had the fake ones.

RedStripe
February 14th, 2018, 05:27 PM
As mentioned by others, craft fairs, Renaissance Faires, and other festival-type venues are great sources. Here's another one that might not have occurred to you (and results may vary, depending on your location): Some of the farmers markets in my area also have vending areas for artisans such as jewelry makers. There's a woman at the one in my neighborhood who makes awesome wooden forks and hair sticks.

MoonRabbit
February 14th, 2018, 06:08 PM
I found most of mine at a local flea market. I got my first set of sticks at Claire's for 5 dollars. Not the best quality, made out of plastic and painted to look like wood but they work just fine and look really cute.

lapushka
February 15th, 2018, 05:41 AM
I think you have just posted you can "just" do a French twist. Maybe getting a few French twist combs isn't that bad of an idea, so you can grow into them.

I would get children's chopsticks from a local Asian market if you can.

And that *really* should do until your hair grows longer. I wouldn't buy for growth because it is going to cost you a lot of money (hairtoys aren't cheap) and then there is the question of whether or not you'll ever be able to use them.

Your best bet is Etsy, for sure. There are shops where plenty of us go, and they are well-known and guaranteed to give you a quality item. Look through those threads, for sure, they are there.

EdG
February 15th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Other than the Ficcare counter at Nordstrom's, I have never seen LHC-quality hair toys in any retail store. The market isn't big enough.

I think the rareness gives hair toys a great deal of mystique. :magic:

Etsy and art/craft fairs seem to be the best source.
Ed

MusicalSpoons
February 15th, 2018, 10:18 AM
I'm in the UK and have never seen any LHC-type hairtoy IRL, either in shops or on any other person*! I get wanting to see things for yourself, but the wealth of information on here, especially on the board Crystawni linked really will help even if you can only buy online :)

*I know there are other UK LHCers (Hi! :waving: ) but we seem to be few and far between.

cjk
February 15th, 2018, 10:19 AM
I think you have just posted you can "just" do a French twist. Maybe getting a few French twist combs isn't that bad of an idea, so you can grow into them.

Exactly correct. And thanks to eBay I've got two on the way. But this is new to me and living in a rural area the local resources are finite.

When I make my infrequent trips to a big city it's nice to know that a side trip to...wherever...is appropriate.

And that *really* should do until your hair grows longer. I wouldn't buy for growth because it is going to cost you a lot of money (hairtoys aren't cheap) and then there is the question of whether or not you'll ever be able to use them.

One thing I learned years ago is a silly little saying. "Good-fast-cheap. Pick any two." Since I don't need them fast I have the luxury of time which means I get to pick good and cheap.

A winning combination.

I don't intend to go off the deep end, but thank you for the counsel. As I said initially, it might be nice to actually see some of these things in real life. Catalog photos are no substitute for that.

Heck, I don't even know the vocabulary at this stage.