PDA

View Full Version : Question about build-up.

Margarita
February 14th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Everyone keep saying 'hair tends to get thinner or appear like having a bad hair day due to build-up', so i wanna ask, whats exactly 'build-up' and what are we supposed to be careful about not having a build-up?

nycelle
February 14th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Build-up is when the products you use leave a film on your hair that can't be washed off. Products that contain certain ingredients like silicones.

I recently ordered a charcoal clarifying shampoo to remove the buildup I get from using -cone conditioners, and my daily hair oil. It's going to be interesting to see what my hair looks like after
shampooing with it, as I can't even remember the last time I clarified.

Flowerness
February 14th, 2018, 09:51 PM
I notice I get build up, and it makes my hair a little bit more limp. I use products with silicone in it, and sometimes it makes my hair look greasier a bit faster. Using a clarifying shampoo every month helps with that. I notice my hair looking fresher, and softer (I also use a deep conditioner afterwords). The silicone can build up on my hair fast, and with our hard water not even using a shampoo with SLS helps enough on its own.

lapushka
February 15th, 2018, 05:31 AM
If your hair behaves odd, stays oily when it's freshly washed, etc. then it is time to clarify-wash with a strong sulfate shampoo preferably, if you can't get a special shampoo. The Pantene volumizing shampoo for instance is not a bad one to do that with.

MsMegMmk
February 15th, 2018, 05:41 AM
I use a clarifying shampoo every month, sort of as a preventative measure, occasionally more often if I got too hammy with oils. I really love the Kenra Clarifying Shampoo as it's sort of a catch all since it helps chelate some mineral build up as well.

chomsky
February 15th, 2018, 10:34 AM
If your hair is looking kinda "meh" and not really feeling great after a wash, sticky but kind dry and a bit like trying to wash oil with cold water (you know and the oil goes a bit weird), then use a sulphate shampoo. You can also have mineral buildup if you live in a hard water area.

Anything can build up, not just silicones, but it also depends on your hair. Even my trial with CO washing :shudder: I didn't get build up, nor do I get mineral buildup despite having mineral chunks in my water, that's how bad the water is in my area.