PDA

View Full Version : Chemo help please

Zalicat
February 14th, 2018, 05:24 AM
Hi everyone I am on mercaptapurine (6mp) for Crohn's disease and I'm losing my hair badly and I just dont know what to do i've lost about a third of my my hair i'm lucky I started with such thick hair. But i'm 19 and its just the last thing i needed, last time my hair fell out from a different med i had to cut it short and ive been growing it out and trying so so hard. Has anyone been through something similar? I've been taking hair vitamins and started silica and folic acid anything else to take?

queenbee1
February 14th, 2018, 06:07 AM
Im sorry i dont have any information about this but my thoughts and prayers are with you! Get well soon and best of luck xx

lapushka
February 14th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Hi everyone I am on mercaptapurine (6mp) for Crohn's disease and I'm losing my hair badly and I just dont know what to do i've lost about a third of my my hair i'm lucky I started with such thick hair. But i'm 19 and its just the last thing i needed, last time my hair fell out from a different med i had to cut it short and ive been growing it out and trying so so hard. Has anyone been through something similar? I've been taking hair vitamins and started silica and folic acid anything else to take?

I think it's important to keep taking your medication. Have you asked your doctor to perhaps refer you to a dermatologist. I think that would be your best bet.

I'd not start DIYing all sorts of things that probably won't work.

Also, with the medications you are taking, I'd not overload yourself (and your kidneys) with supplements and minerals that you 9 out of 10 don't need... if you are eating healthily, and unless your doctor recommended it to you.

RadioactiveLily
February 14th, 2018, 10:15 AM
You haven't mentioned how long your hair is, but do you think you could use a paranda? It might help your hair appear longer and thicker if you styled your hair with one while you're taking your medication. You can even make them yourself out of yarn to match anything you're wearing.

Here's a link to one of the paranda threads: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490

I'd talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about supplements before you start taking them. Some vitamins and even some foods can interfere with the function of medications and even cause adverse reactions. Taking some vitamins together even without being on medication can cause your body to not absorb them as well. Supplements are expensive, so take care to use them properly.

In my personal experience, there is unfortunately no quick supplement fix that works better than a healthy diet and making sure I'm getting enough water and protein. I've never lost my hair due to a health condition though, so beyond that there's not much advice I can give- so sorry you are going through this right now.

chomsky
February 14th, 2018, 10:44 AM
I can't imagine how hard it is to be going through this, but I'd say focus on your health first. Hair/skin clarity/nails are usually the last thing the body wants to deal with when something's not right inside. Keep up with your medication, and ask your doctor if this will be a permanent side effect, or subside in time (I'm guessing this is long-term/indefinite medication (?), from my limited knowledge on the nature of Crohn's). And definitely ask about the supplements you're wanting to take.

:blossom:

jera
February 14th, 2018, 03:37 PM
It's hard to keep hair healthy when your chemo makes you so nauseated you throw up your food. You don't even get normal nutrients that way .Folic acid is wonderful. Ask your doctor is it would be okay for you to take it. Best luck.

browneyedsusan
February 14th, 2018, 03:58 PM
I can't help beyond what everyone else has already shared.
I just wanted to pop in to share some love.

My best friend has cancer -- currently stable -- and had lost her hair to chemo. (It's grown back now, because her chemo cocktail has changed.)
It's hard to deal with hair loss, because everyone who sees you can tell that you're sick. :grouphug: I hope your condition stabilizes, and you get some relief.

Zalicat
February 15th, 2018, 04:14 AM
Thank you so much for all your love- I actually teared up from all the lovely messages. My mum's a dr too and checks if there were any interactions before I take anything and there isn't any problem there, I also work in the pharmacy so check with the pharmacists as well. Because of the disease I'm pretty malnourished so my vitamin levels tend to be a bit low. I know compared to my health it isn't important but it just really brings me down and reminds me. I'm better than I was healthwise but no med really works fully for me :(
(my hair is around APL btw)

Larki
February 16th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I have an acquaintance who used a cold cap during chemo and kept her hair (not eyelashes or eyebrows, other body hair though).
https://arcticcoldcaps.com/ not sure if this is the same brand, but this is the type of cap

MusicalSpoons
February 16th, 2018, 01:50 PM
I have nothing helpful to add, but I'm sorry you're going through this. I know having an invisible illness comes with its frustrations (aside from the obvious difficulties of being ill and in pain etc) but we can choose when to disclose it or make it visible - but hair loss from meds takes away that choice, that remnant of control. So here's a big hug :grouphug: and I hope being here you will find help, advice and support.

red-again
February 16th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I did dietetics at uni. Before taking anything, it'd be worth getting bloods done to see your current levels of vitamins, amino acids and minerals. Otherwise you are really just going in blind.
The main ones to check are:
1) b group
2) vitamin d ( very likely it'll be low in crohns as you haven't the enzymes to utilise it in sufficient amounts, same goes for b12 as you will probably lack intrinsic factor to enable your body to convert and use it) )
3) Iron and specifically your ferritin level.
4) levels of some of the micronutrients like selenium.

If you know where you are for those to start with then you can see if what you begin to take is making a difference. Sometimes you might need to take a higher dose of say a b vitamin with crohn's as you will just excrete it before you can absorb. And with lots of deficiencies it is almost impossible to get enough absorbed to restore normal levels. However, lots of them are available in other forms like by injection. And that way they bypass your digestive system and will get absorbed. That's why it's so important to get a base line at this point to reinforce things with your doctor further down the line.

Have you looked into the autoimmune protocol diet at all? Look into fodmap. I dip in and out of it as I have autoimmune thyroiditis - hashimoto's and feel great when I'm on it and my dry skin and gut issues clear up massively.
The other thing I'd look into is turmeric. You can make something called 'golden paste' or take it in tablet form, or simply include powdered or fresh in your diet by adding to savoury sauces and rices etc. It is very antiimflammatory and a good antioxidant.

Hope I've given you some pointers above. I don't mind helping more.

Cg
February 16th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Also talk with your oncologist. There may be an alternative drug that's less apt to induce chemo alopecia although it will come with its own baggage too.

jera
February 16th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I have an acquaintance who used a cold cap during chemo and kept her hair (not eyelashes or eyebrows, other body hair though).
https://arcticcoldcaps.com/ not sure if this is the same brand, but this is the type of cap

Absolutely. This is an excellent idea. Have you tried this one? While it doesn't make existing hair better due to lack of nutrients, it can preserve the hair you have. This is a very good idea. I don't know any cancer patients personally who have used it, but have read about it.

Reservechic
February 16th, 2018, 04:47 PM
So sorry to hear about what you're going through. I have a cousin who suffers with Crohn Disease. She's suffered from it basically just about all of her life. I know that she went through a lot of meds and has been hospitalized numerous times throughout her life thus far. Her hair never grew really long or was very thick. I don't currently be around her, at this time, but, I now that before she had moved she did resort to wearing wigs. However, I am not sure if she currently still wears them or not, at this time. Also, in my family, quite a number of family members of mines have been on different forms of chemo. Some of them had major hair list, while some of them didn't have it as bad as the others. I would recommend taking the gentle approach to what you do to your hair on a daily basis, as well as in regards to what products you choose to use on your hair and scalp as well.

The best person that I would recommend voicing your concerns to in regards to your hair and the hair loss that you incurred and any potential vitamin supplement or supplement or medical prescription product that he knows of that would be very helpful to you, in regards to your specific hair issues that you are presently concerned with. There are hair vitamins on the market, however, everyone's journey while taking them certainly isn't the same. So, I can say that it is worth a shot, trying such, however, I have never tried any hair vitamins before, so I can't speak personally on them working for me. I just try to eat as healthy as I can, (even though some days I do have my chest days), I drink as much water as possible every day, I only use vegan and cruelty free products I choose to go that route because I do suffer with both skin and scalp disorders. I avoid use of products that contain silicones, sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, drying alcohols, artificial dyes, and artificial fragrances as well. I only wash my hair once a week, twice if need be, and I only do a major detangling going of my hair on my hair wash days only. In between my hair wash days, I use my fingers to style my hair with. And, my shedding rate at this points remains very low. But, there are areas on my head, where my hair is thinner than elsewhere, due to my severe scalp eczema. I have been prescribed a few medicated shampoos, including prescription strength Nizoral 2% shampoo, and even prescription strength Nizoral 2% cream for application to my scalp, as well as a host of other stuff (I never experienced any hair thickening or increased hair growth in any way with any of the stuff). So, even though there are options out there, it is truly best to share your current hair related concerns with the physician that is currently treating you. Without being able to see the current state of both your hair or scalp in person, as well as knot knowing your complete medical history, it would be impossible for someone over the Internet to most accurately provide you with the type of direct answer that you are looking for. Which is why, it is best to talk this over in person with a medical professional (whether it be your PCP, oncologist, etc.)and if he/she decides that you need to see a dermatologist, then he/she can always refer you to one.

Please know that my prayers are definitely with you, okay. Stay strong!