PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone wear their hair up everyday, mostly?

Breezy
February 13th, 2018, 08:13 PM
I had a bad experience with a stylist recently who cut too many layers in it and made it short.:steam Due to the layering, my ends are thin. I've decided to wear a bun, but I feel so naked wi;thout my hair and I feel I don't look good. It looks awful down. How long does it take to get used to it up? In the meantime, I'm trying to take care of the hair I have left. :confused:

*Wednesday*
February 13th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I wear it down twice a week after I wash. I've been cutting back to once a week, wearing down. I wear in a bun or braid most times. It may take some time but try different styles depending on your length.

Robi-Bird
February 13th, 2018, 08:23 PM
I where mine up about 70% of the time, maybe more. I enjoy it down with the waves mostly on days off but for working and commuting it is always up.

Maybe practice buns? Different styles and different placements, you may find a way you really like to where it.

wannabe-rusalka
February 13th, 2018, 08:35 PM
I usually wear mine down at home and for a day or two after I wash it. Its important to protect your hair so I wear it up about 75% of the time but you also should enjoy your hair or else whats the point of growing it so long and pretty.

Groovy Granny
February 13th, 2018, 09:28 PM
In colder weather I wear it down most of the time in a half up or ponytail.
Once it gets hot it is up ALL the time.
I didn't grow it long in my 60's to hide it ;) and I love the feel of it on my back.

Oh no...that stinks :( (((hugs))))

Twists with claw clips, or half ups may help until you get some volume/length back.

You didn't say how long it is now.

The more you can do yourself re: trims etc the better; then you know exactly what you will be getting.

Bling it up until you can do more with it ~ Good luck :cheer:

MsPharaohMoan
February 13th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Hair up all day all night. Barely even do braids anymore, now that I think about it. Occasionally take it down to detangle or wash. Having your hair up becomes comfortable once you find a bun that really works for you. Especially when I was growing out layers I had to switch it up occasionally because suddenly a bun would stop working. In terms of aesthetics, I part and arrange my hair before bunning to secure the look. Face framing bits helped too. Right now I have wispies from sleeping on my sides.

Happy experimenting!

RadioactiveLily
February 13th, 2018, 10:13 PM
I wear mine up 95% of the time. If it's down, it's usually drying or I'm at home just relaxing. Most of the time it's up in a bun for work requirements or to keep it out of my toddler's reach lol. When it's getting close to wash day I do oiled braids. My hair is classic length, so practicality forced me to keep it up to reduce damage. When it was shorter though, I felt the same way you did.

I suggest getting some hair toys you loooooove, perhaps you might feel more confident with your hair up that way. The hairstyle of the month section of this forum was also inspiration for me when I started wearing my hair up more. There are rolls and tucks and things you can do to add volume and variety to updos. Some people I know also decided to get bangs because they thought it helped their hair not look so flat and boring when pulled back.

Good luck!

ephemeri
February 13th, 2018, 10:15 PM
I wear my hair up in a bun every day and occasionally in a side braid. I didn't get used to burning until I cut in some bangs and face framing layers. I just don't look great with my hair up and no bangs. They've been a life saver!

Aunty Miki
February 13th, 2018, 10:48 PM
Everyday except one wash day a week. I need a different bun, though. It's more like a roll bun clipped in place.

Nightshade
February 13th, 2018, 10:59 PM
I remember that feeling of feeling naked and strange when I first started wearing my hair up. It took a couple weeks, if I remember, to get used to it.

Keep in mind that our brains are pretty garbage and discerning "different" from "bad." You likely look perfectly lovely, but your brain is going "different!!!!!!!!" and we take this uncertainty and newness as negative, even when it isn't.

Breezy
February 13th, 2018, 11:29 PM
thank you, that was so perfectly said.

ReptilianFeline
February 13th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I wear my hair up in a bun most of the time. I'm growing out layers from bad hair care (long ago) and big shed (a year ago), so my ends are very thin. They help lock the bun in place though. On rare occations I do a braid or have my hair down.

Frankenstein
February 14th, 2018, 12:25 AM
I didn’t wear my hair up ever until I found LHC. Now I do it almost every day. It definitely felt weird at first and I didn’t like how it looked but if you give it enough time you will get used to it.

Soulina
February 14th, 2018, 12:36 AM
I wear my hair down nowadays only on special occasions and for little while on the evening just so I can brush it and look at it, feel how long and soft and silky smooth it is. but 95% of the time it is up. My hair is extremely delicate, and I find enjoyment in the knowledge that I have long healthy hair, I don´t have to show it to others. Even thou I would love to show it to everyone, but it is too fragile to be worn down weekly if I want to have thick hemline, so now my hair is only for me to enjoy.

Okay, I start to sound weird :D

AutobotsAttack
February 14th, 2018, 12:55 AM
I typically bun all the time. For months and years at a time. I don’t really think I’d have this long if I didn’t.

DoomKitty
February 14th, 2018, 01:06 AM
Mine is bunned or braided pretty much all the time apart from wash days (so twice a week roughly) or if I go 'out' with DH. It tangles really easily so I prefer it up, though I have noticed that when it's been straightened (my hairdresser likes to straighten it when she trims it) it doesn't tangle much at all. I have side swept bangs and a few face framing layers which helps soften the whole 'hair is always up' look.

AutobotsAttack
February 14th, 2018, 01:16 AM
Mine is bunned or braided pretty much all the time apart from wash days (so twice a week roughly) or if I go 'out' with DH. It tangles really easily so I prefer it up, though I have noticed that when it's been straightened (my hairdresser likes to straighten it when she trims it) it doesn't tangle much at all. I have side swept bangs and a few face framing layers which helps soften the whole 'hair is always up' look.

I too have tangles when I leave my hair down. Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

DoomKitty
February 14th, 2018, 02:32 AM
I too have tangles when I leave my hair down. Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

My DD's almost WL hair is the same. She's been wearing it down pretty much every day and is so tired of the tangles and having it smack her in the face (it's windy here most days, even in summer) that she's lobbing it tomorrow. I'm kinda sad she's cutting it but there's a little voice that's saying 'my hair will be longer than hers!' lol.
Sorry, bit off topic there 😃

lapushka
February 14th, 2018, 03:23 AM
I had a bad experience with a stylist recently who cut too many layers in it and made it short.:steam Due to the layering, my ends are thin. I've decided to wear a bun, but I feel so naked wi;thout my hair and I feel I don't look good. It looks awful down. How long does it take to get used to it up? In the meantime, I'm trying to take care of the hair I have left. :confused:

It's up 6 days out of 7 in a LWB (lazy wrap bun), and on wash day when it air dries it gets clipped up, and once dry put up as well but in claw clips (much looser). Not that I tight-bun!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2018, 03:34 AM
Mine is up all the time except when it's drying after washing. At night it's in a sleep cap. Wearing it up is just a habit, and one which will protect your hair, so it's a good habit. There's nothing to say that you can't wear it loose if you want to, of course, but at my length it's not too practical. If I want to show the length I braid it. That's as "loose" as it gets, unless I'm taking a photo or making a video.

chomsky
February 14th, 2018, 04:42 AM
Mines always up in dutch braids. When its straight it's always in a bun/english plait. I can't stand having my hair down unless it's a super short bob, I hate the feeling of it on my neck.

Have fun with partings, I find it makes my buns less severe, and some side wispies really soften it up too.

GalaMoon
February 14th, 2018, 04:44 AM
I wear my hair up for the most part, except at night (I don't like braids and it's too short for anything else). Sometimes, if I have to go somewhere (other than work), I will wear my hair down when it's freshly washed, but I hate how tangled it gets and as soon as I get home, up it goes again. I used to be one of those people who wear their hair down all the time, except for the occasional ponytail when it was too oily looking, but one very hot summer I started to wear it up and now I just can't stand having it down. I don't like feeling it on my face, I don't like to constantly have to put it behind my ears and it tangles so fast and starts to look frizzy. Plus, I wear glasses and I think up do's are more flattering on my face and shows off my make-up better (when I'm wearing it).

Dante
February 14th, 2018, 04:57 AM
I wear my hair up 95% of the time, mostly in buns, or braided to sleep. I do occasionally wear it down for a special occasion, but pretty rarely. I figure I enjoy long hair for the ability to wear different styles more than even to see it down, so I might as well wear the updos! It’s also hot here almost all the time (today was 38 degrees Celsius and 80% humidity) so I cannot handle my hair touching me!

Hairkay
February 14th, 2018, 05:00 AM
I'm used to having my plaited/braided to keep it contained and mostly out of the way. That was common when living in the tropics. It was kind of strange to experience the feeling of hair on my neck and down my back. My plaits usually curl on my shoulder. Now I want it on my neck in winter because that's cosy. I keep it up about 75-85% of the time. It's plaited/braided 95% of the time. That means less chance for it to tangle, cause friction and break off. I also happen to love plaits/braids.

Mirabele
February 14th, 2018, 05:06 AM
wear it up all the time.

lunalocks
February 14th, 2018, 05:33 AM
up 95% of the time and down mostly 1 to 2 x per week just until it air dries (several hours). Started this when it was about hip, prior to that wore it in a pony or french braid.

Now that it is so long (4 inches above knee) if I choose to wear it down out in the world it gets in the way and I have to be super careful to not sit on it, etc.

When I do wear it down, it turns into a special occasion for me. And it is so infrequent that it feels so much longer than the last time I wore it down, because it is!

I would not have been able to get it this long (and it's still growing!) without keeping it up most of the time. Keeping it up protects it. At one point I noticed how many more splits and general breakage was happening on the outer hairs whereas the under hairs, the ones protected from general wear and tear were so long and smooth. That was a good enough reason to keep it up and protected.

Learning to use spin pins and forks helped a LOT and also gives variety. I, too, have bangs and that gives me some variety - sometimes long, sometimes short.

embee
February 14th, 2018, 06:15 AM
I wear mine up every day and it took me a while to get used to it. One thing that helped was looking at some of the lovely pictures here on LHC. Another help was appreciating a bun in hot summer weather. One more big help was fancy earrings. You'll get there, it just takes time. There's not much difference between a bun and a plain single braid, for feeling exposed.

T0n1c
February 14th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I wear mine up pretty much all the time except for drying it. I sometimes leave it down in the evenings to let my scalp "rest", and enjoy it brushing my back. I have worn it up anytime it is past my chin pretty much since HS. It get hot super easy, and can't stand the feeling of the hair on my neck, lol.

It made it a lot easier to adjust to protective styles once joining LHC. I was already wearing it up, and had already switched to scrunchies from hair ties after hearing it was easier on hair. Since being here at LHC I try to do a little more variety so that I'm not always putting stress/tension on one place. Now I know more styles, and have more hair toys.

nycelle
February 14th, 2018, 07:43 AM
At home, I use Scunci Octopus clips to keep it up - think it's the large size. It's cheap, very smooth, and holds my hair well.
When I'm out it's usually down.

pittsburgpam
February 14th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I wear mine up almost all the time. The only time it's down is when it's wet, and not always then. That's one reason that I'm thinking of cutting it. I don't do a thing with it and, being about to my knees, I can't comfortably have it down even at home because I sit on it and it will just get damaged. Can't even sit at my desk chair because hanging over the back of the chair, it reaches the floor.

I wake up, sit on the side of the bed, and put it in a bun and that's where it stays every day.

NightSister
February 14th, 2018, 08:22 AM
I wear it up for work and commuting, and down when I get home. Up again at bedtime.

I had to get used to wearing it up and out of my face because I was self conscious of my acne. Having it up actually helped that issue though, so killed two birds with one stone! :) The bun experimentation can help keep your mind off the length for the time being!

Ligeia Noire
February 14th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Up every day, however I try to leave it down to dry one night per week at least.

Arciela
February 14th, 2018, 10:17 PM
For me it depends, I leave mine up when I get tired of it or too hot , but if my scalp need a break i just let it down

maborosi
February 15th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Pretty much- as it gets longer, it gets more challenging to wear down.

Dendra
February 15th, 2018, 03:34 AM
I haven't worn it down for nine months now, it's been in buns and peacock twists before it was long enough for buns.

I plan to gradually start wearing it in plaits or maybe even down one or two days a week eventually.

lithostoic
February 15th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Yeah, for work. Can't have loose hair in a kitchen. Either a braid or a bun.

MsMegMmk
February 15th, 2018, 07:22 AM
I only really wear my hair down at home. I need it up for work and prefer it off my face when I'm moving about in any way. My hair is really, really hard to braid dry so even when I'm home it ends up in a braid once I've wet it at all. Otherwise it's not going into one until my next wash!

Sora Rose
February 15th, 2018, 09:10 AM
I wore it down every day and every night for roughly 22 years (lengths varying between BSL and TBL) and never had any obvious damage. Then after getting bad damage from working out - and letting my hair drag on the floor until I had to cut back to BSL from TB/Hip - I decided to put them up all the time. It took me about a month for me and my scalp to get used to it. Although as compensation I let my bangs grow down to my chin. I keep them up every day except wash day, when I let myself enjoy them all afternoon.

Cg
February 15th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I wear mine up every day and have done since it would stay with elastics, countless bobby pins, clips, and snoods. Bunning was much easier after I hacked off all the layers to the topmost one at BSL.

It was a relief rather than an adjustment bc I don't like hair in the face. I would expect everyone has a different timetable for that kind of change. Good luck and have fun with all the options.

Lisa Long4Life
February 16th, 2018, 11:44 AM
UP almost all of the time. I have it in a bun usually at work, it annoys me when its hanging around while I'm working. I need to get more variety with what I do with it because it's pretty much always a Pha bun (ish). Sometimes I braid but I have lots of shorter hairs around my neck that I think look messy.
I wore it down for a night out last month :)

bparnell75
February 16th, 2018, 12:00 PM
I belong here. Not comfortable with hair down and it looks scraggly like a hag. Down only to dry and then not always...I wet bun with plastic or metal toys. today is my Day 2199 of wearing my hair up. I wear all kinds of buns with different placements. I also do face framing things, but dreaming of wispy bangs.

Guitargod
February 16th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Since I found the courage to go to work with a hairsticks I've pretty much had my hair in a bun every day.
It's down for band rehearsal though :)

Joyful Mystery
February 16th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Up everyday for me. Like Sarah, a braid is about as "loose" as it gets. At bedtime it's in a sleep cap.

Deborah
February 17th, 2018, 12:51 AM
Up in a bun during the day. In a single braid for sleeping.

Corvana
February 17th, 2018, 01:20 AM
I absolutely do, now. I didn't until maybe a month or so ago? Right about when I could actually do a disc bun that held for longer than an hour. My two styles are a peacock twist with a claw clip, or a disc bun with a stick or fork.

About the time I could bun it was also when it started to get really annoying while down and I was in my desk chair. So it's all worked out, really!

Rustam
February 18th, 2018, 05:48 PM
If you don't count sleep I have mine up 95% of the time. I wear a bun most of the time currently. I wanted to get it long enough to wear in a bun though, big part of why I grew long hair which makes a difference. I'll second others and say that it took a while to get used to how it feels.

Wavybrunetteuk
February 19th, 2018, 03:46 AM
I will do now for work and to protect my ends

Carolyn
February 19th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Mine is up 99.9% of the time when I am out of the house. I feel it's too long to wear down. It's top of hip length. When it's above waist I will wear it down maybe once a month but it always goes back up in a bun at some point during that day. I enjoy wearing it down at home when I am watching TV and knitting. Meaning sitting still. I wear it up in a high loose bun or a single English braid for sleeping.

At first I thought I looked better with it down but as I wore it up more and more, I got used to it and came to like it up. I think I cultivated a "mean librarian" look. I'm not interested in attracting attention for my hair and really don't care if people think I look mean and severe. I like it contained and not getting tangled all the time. I love my pretty hair toys and really enjoy using them.

This change in preference came over time. I'd say it happened over several years. Now I rarely think about wearing my hair down. It's something you just get used to and hopefully come to embrace.

unheardletters
February 19th, 2018, 07:14 AM
I wear my hair up all the time, even after washing it is either up in a towel or in a bun. I would love to be able to wear it down occasionally, but I just can’t tolerate it, even at short lengths it drives me crazy.
I still do not like how I look with my hair up, but I gave up caring because I do not suit short hair at all and my hair still annoys me even when short anyway.

ontheway
February 21st, 2018, 03:00 PM
I wear my hair up almost every day, which is funny because I used to wear my hair down almost every day.

Now, it's because I'm self conscious about the thickness (it used to be a lot thicker) and because I want to protect it. It's winter time and now I believe in protective styles.

I've gotten used to seeing myself in buns more but I have to admit, hair style is so interesting on me! My hair in a high bun makes me look reaaaally young (I'm in my late 20s), like teenager young. Low bun makes me look like a professional, closer to my age, though I normally don't look my age (I look a bit younger). With my hair down and styled, I like my look the most... but that isn't my option right now.

I still define myself as having long, wavy and thick hair, but right now I'm just letting my hair recover so I'm dealing with it. I do find that wearing my hair up frames my face more and allows any makeup to shine through, so at least it's made me appreciate that.