PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for non-bun up-dos

JKRBeloved
October 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Now that I've let my hair go gray, my DH has begged me not to wear buns. I wear it down most of the time, so usually that's no problem. But now that it's getting longer again (almost armpit), I'm feeling a need to wear it up a bit more. I do a French braid, pony tail, pony tail braid, pony tail with the end tucked under, topsy tail, topsy tail tuck, peacocks, and French twist peacock. It's ok if it's called a "bun" of some sort, as long as it doesn't look like a traditional "old lady" bun. Help?

Tangles
October 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I've always found that updos high on the head, if done correctly, are very youthful looking (no need to tease a la Palin).

Try coronet braids, if they'll fit over your head. Any kind of twist-y, braidy hairstyle usually looks more funky than a bun. Try a French ponytail or topsy ponytail for a nice change.

Shanarana
October 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes I'll twist my hair a bit and clip it high up with hair hanging out with a ficcare for a "messy bun" look.

RocketDog
October 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
what about chinese buns? I think they look anything but traditional, and with your haircolor and a fancy stick it would really look awesome! I love your beautiful silver hair...

Pierre
October 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
How about two Dutch (or French) braids with the end of each clipped to the other's base? How about one bun behind each ear?

JKRBeloved
October 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Ooh, these are neat ideas Pierre, RocketDog, Shanara, and Tangles! Keep 'em coming! (Thanks for the compliment, Rocketdog! What's a Chinese bun?)

Teazel
October 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
A sock bun with the length flowing free, instead of wrapped! :)

Oh, oh, and don't forget the french twist.

And a Gibson Tuck!

CurlyNinja
October 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
When your hair gets a little longer, you might also try a log roll! It doesn't look bunnish to me, more French-twisty.

Vitalai
October 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Ooh, these are neat ideas Pierre, RocketDog, Shanara, and Tangles! Keep 'em coming! (Thanks for the compliment, Rocketdog! What's a Chinese bun?)

There's instructions for a Chinese bun here (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/chinese-bun/).

Also, to dress up a regular ponytail, you can try wrapping around a piece of hair from it to cover up the ponytail holder. This braided cascade style (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1145348480/Braid-up+Cascade) is very pretty as well and easy to do.

kittymomma
October 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I've recently used a Vidal Sassoon (OK, read "CHEAP") "Lock 'n' Comb" with great success...it's simple and looks sorta hip/elegant, depending on how you do it...

It's a comb that you wind thru a twist and lock a "fixer" piece on the other end. For my fine/thin hair, it's extremely secure, and I can make it look flippy or french-twisty, depending. :)

JKRBeloved
October 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Kittymomma (I'm searching for a photo of the "lock 'n comb...sounds great-- can you post one?), Vitalai (The links you posted for Chinese bun and braided cascade are great!), CurlyNinia, and Teazel! Today I scrunched, let it dry about an hour, then put it in a topsy tail with most of the waves/texture in tact.

ladyshannonanne
October 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Bun your hair but loosen it. After you've done your bun like usual, spread your fingers and put them under your hair starting at the hairline and moving back toward the bun. It will look a little messy and completely un-fussy.

angelthadiva
October 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I think you made an excellent choice in letting your natural hair color grow! The color is really, really pretty...I have no new updo ideas other than the ones already mentioned.

Melisande
October 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
A Gibson tuck is lovely. So is a French twist. And a loose flipped bun looks flattering and not like a granny bun at all. Two French braids united. And an embellished rose bun is a bun, yes, but a very special one that even your husband may like.

Stacy_E
October 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I've got a similar issue in that my hair is graying and my DH has more than once told me he prefers styles other than buns on me. So I try to wear them less, and down or ponytails more.

I have not seen the half-up mentioned. There is also the ponytail that uses a Hair Cinch (http://www.haircinch.com/HowtoStyleGuide.html) or a lace-up (http://www.leatherformyhair.com/index.html) -- you can make those on your own with leather and beads, btw. You can also use a Buff; I put up an article on a folded braid secured with a Buff (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=68). There is also the double-braids--I use them when I'm backpacking.

GlennaGirl
October 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Why not a peacock twist? :) Those are fun and flirt-y.

Mishka_84
October 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Some of Isilya's creations are fun, and while they're buns, they're not at all uptight-ish. The Woven Bun is my favorite (and DH's favorite), which can be done starting around APL for some, but sometimes (depends on how thick your hair is) takes BSL: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5502

Just thought about it, I'm not sure if this is her creation, but she's the one who posted it. :shrug:

Ursula
October 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Regarding buns being "old lady" - I'm on a university campus, and a lot of the young women are wearing buns the past year or two. Even girls with fairly short hair are twisting up their ponytails to make them bun-like.

So buns are back in fashion, and they're back in fashion for the young. Not "old lady" at all!

You might also look at different hairtoys for buns. The stereotype "old lady" bun is one that is held up invisibly, such as with Amish pins. Try using some fun, colorful hairsticks, a ficcare, a chunky wood hairfork, or other hairtoys to give buns a more trendy look than an "old lady" style. Some long hot-pink "chopstick" style sticks, for example, would give a bun a totally different feel than one you'd have seen your great-grandmother wearing.

spidermom
October 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I love your hair color! Try this. Gather hair for ponytail. Do not twist. Wrap hair around and around like you are making a cinnamon bun. Tuck ends under. Clip the bottom half of the "donut" with a claw clip. The upper part of the donut will fall down and should cover the claw clip. It doesn't look like a bun.