PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Trimming and Dusting..

nycelle
February 9th, 2018, 08:18 AM
My hair is currently at 25.5" and I'm hoping to get it close to 30 by the end of the year, but I'll take 29".
Thing is, I don't like thin ends on my hair so a blunt U cut is a must.

I'm wondering what exactly the difference is between trimming and dusting?

I did a search and saw someone say their stylist wouldn't do it. I thought a dusting was just a very short trim? Is it something else, or is the method different?

Also, does a dusting get rid of all split ends like a trim would? Would it keep my ends thick? Or would I be better off with 1/2" trim every 2-3 months?

My last cut was December 30th and I don't see any split ends right now, but I wanted to schedule a trim/ or dusting? The first week of March to keep my ends healthy. Splits have become a pet peeve of mine so the less I see
of them, the better.

Am also wondering if 30" by the end of the year is possible? Growing 4.5" in the next 10 months could very well be an unrealistic goal, especially with trims. Or can it be done?
Currently, aside from shampooing twice a week, and conditioning, the only product I'm using is a hair oil. I no longer heat style or color, and for the most part, I don't blow dry unless I have to.

Would love to hear about your experiences with trims vs dusting, and what you do to keep those ends healthy! .

Thanks for reading :waving:

hayheadsbird
February 9th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Average hair growth is half in inch a month, so in 10 months you could expect 5 inches.
As far as I know (someone who knows more will be along shortly!) Dusting is a trim where what you cut off literally so little it looks like dust.
Do you self trim? That would give you more control over when and how much.
I'd wait, and only trim as much as you have to when you need to.
Search and destroy can help keep split ends under control, but if you're trying to keep the hemline sharp then excessive s&d could cause more issues. Go gently!

nycelle
February 9th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Average hair growth is half in inch a month, so in 10 months you could expect 5 inches.
As far as I know (someone who knows more will be along shortly!) Dusting is a trim where what you cut off literally so little it looks like dust.
Do you self trim? That would give you more control over when and how much.
I'd wait, and only trim as much as you have to when you need to.
Search and destroy can help keep split ends under control, but if you're trying to keep the hemline sharp then excessive s&d could cause more issues. Go gently!

Ooh, I would love to hit 30" by the end of the year!

Does dusting keeps the hemline thick?

I don't self-trim. Don't have scissors sharp enough, and not sure I trust myself to get it even. But I may invest in a good pair for those times I see splits.

hayheadsbird
February 9th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Decent sissors for s&d aren't too expensive. There a whole thread of recommendations here somewhere!
There's threads on self trimming as well. :)
I'm guessing Dusting would help, as it would just take off the racers so it didn't get too straggly. I pretty much don't trim though, have waves and layers in the last few inches, so my hemline isn't pricise, so I'm not the best person to advise on this!

lapushka
February 9th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Try and check out the microtrimming thread. I think it's common to dust, say, half the growth off per month (less than 1/2 inch, like half a cm is a dusting), or to go a few months and get a little bit off, like say half an inch. They are rulers of their domain! They know it well. ;) :)

nycelle
February 9th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Decent sissors for s&d aren't too expensive. There a whole thread of recommendations here somewhere!
There's threads on self trimming as well. :)
I'm guessing Dusting would help, as it would just take off the racers so it didn't get too straggly. I pretty much don't trim though, have waves and layers in the last few inches, so my hemline isn't pricise, so I'm not the best person to advise on this!

Thanks, I'm gonna do a search for the scissor thread. I have a feeling dusting may not be enough for me then. I do love thick hemlines.

Try and check out the microtrimming thread. I think it's common to dust, say, half the growth off per month (less than 1/2 inch, like half a cm is a dusting), or to go a few months and get a little bit off, like say half an inch. They are rulers of their domain! They know it well. ;) :)

Thanks. I'm gonna check out the threads. Thinking 1/2" every 2-4 months might work best for me to keep it thick. But I guess like with everything, it's all trial and error and see what works best.

Groovy Granny
February 9th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I second self trimming and can vouch for dusting :thumbsup:

I dust on the full moon (just as a reminder and feel in sync with nature :meditate: )....usually it is just to check for racers and only occasionally I will freshen the shape.

My hair is fine/wispy and I love a U shape; generally I 'trim & shape' quarterly at the seasonal changes so I gain some growth.

If I am maintaining I may snip a wee bit more monthly depending on how my hemline looks and feels.

IMHO dusting does help thicken your hemline....mine always feels different no matter how little I snip.

Take it slow until your feel comfortable ~

The easiest method is tying a ponytail snug under your chin then sliding a book or your fingers (I use a creaclip) down the ponytail ...then snip...done.

Others like FEYES method and I sometimes finish with that to double check evenness.

Looking ahead gives a slight U and looking down when you ponytail gives a slightly more deeper U.

Good luck ~ in time I bet you will love it :cheer:

Hiyotoris
February 9th, 2018, 11:51 AM
For me a dust is less than 1/2in and a trim is 1/2in-2in anything more than 2in is a cut for me

Dark40
February 9th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I do S&D only of 1 cm every 3 or 4 months. I think it does help to keep your ends healthy, and gives you a thicker hemline! It does on me.

nycelle
February 9th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone.
Going to ask my stylist to do a dusting next time and see how I like it. Doesn't hurt to try!

Dark40
February 9th, 2018, 04:23 PM
You're welcome.
Good luck with the stylist doing your dusting. I do my own trims and dusting. You're right it doesn't hurt to try! But I don't trust hairstylists these days. Because, they all get scissor-happy and want to cut instead of just do a trim.

Groovy Granny
February 9th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone.
Going to ask my stylist to do a dusting next time and see how I like it. Doesn't hurt to try!

Be sure to be specific about how much she 'dusts'.....many take off much more.

I haven't been to a salon in over 5 years and have no plans to return ~ Good luck :thumbsup:

lapushka
February 10th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Thanks. I'm gonna check out the threads. Thinking 1/2" every 2-4 months might work best for me to keep it thick. But I guess like with everything, it's all trial and error and see what works best.

It is not going to thin out even within a year of no-trimming at that length, normally, and at your thickness. So technically, you are fine not doing that at all and just trimming at the end of the year or half a year.