PDA

View Full Version : HOT climate hair

Miss P
February 8th, 2018, 01:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've just moved and (apart from all the STRESS) I've been introduced to an exceptionally hot and dry climate, like zero humidity and temperatures ranging from 35-45 Celsius [95-114 Fahrenheit]. My scalp is pure sweat and my ends are dry. Any suggestions for hair care or hair routines in my new place? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Miss P

Saige
February 8th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Hi there! I also live in a very dry climate (inland Australia). The only things that keep my hair from drying out are gentle cleansers for the scalp and things like heavy oils or aloe vera for my ends. If it can form a film and seal in the moisture it works for me. I also like to do a heavy prewash oiling. If I have to I'll put a bit more on the ends when it's dry.

Wildcat Diva
February 8th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Mineral oil (only 3-4 drops!) on the ends after washing, when very wet.

When hair is dry and you are at home, mist hair with water lightly, then clip up in a loose bun and don a lightweight plastic shower cap for a while to keep in moisture and steam your hair a bit.

lapushka
February 8th, 2018, 05:52 AM
A good cleanser for the scalp and oils / serums / leave-ins for the ends.

Jo Ann
February 8th, 2018, 10:07 AM
I can't help much with the humidity (I live in Florida :cool: ), but I CAN help with the heat!

Protective styles (also gets your hair off your neck and back ;) ), and moisture, moisture, MOISTURE (try the LCO/LOC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) and ROO methods (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191))! A lightweight oil (or serum) on the ends will help keep moisture in. If it's TOO hot, I also CO wash midweek (I usually wash once/week) and use the LOC method afterwards.

lithostoic
February 8th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Wet braiding helps me a lot in those conditions. I do a Dutch braid. Seals in the moisture! Keep that braid in as long as you can before rebraiding.

sumidha
February 8th, 2018, 01:54 PM
It gets like that in the summer where I live, and I rinse just my scalp with cold water most days to deal with the heat/sweat.

Put hair in loose bun (or braid, I suppose) and gently pull it away from your scalp while running the water over your head.

FrayedFire
February 8th, 2018, 03:04 PM
What the others said - when you don't have humidity, make your own! Plus it will keep you cooler!

jera
February 8th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Liquid aloe vera in a spritzer bottle to refresh your hair and dry ends throughout the day.

Shorty89
February 8th, 2018, 10:11 PM
Do you have a humidifier in your house? I don't live anywhere near that hot, but i do live in low humidity, and a humidifier works really well. If you can get one attached to your furnace, that would be best (or your AC maybe?) But, even a small one will help.

elfs
February 8th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Liquid aloe vera in a spritzer bottle to refresh your hair and dry ends throughout the day.

this sounds refreshing, what are the benefits of aloe on hair?

WillOTree
February 9th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Wet braiding or bunning if your hair will handle it, a good conditioner and leave in, and periodically spritzing your hair with water helped me when mine was longer.

Miss P
February 9th, 2018, 07:51 PM
I've started wet braiding and using LOC method and I've already seen an improvement. Aloe vera is on order and shipping to me :) Gonna have to look around for a good humidifier though since it'll probably help in the long run. Thanks so much for all your help everyone! :D