PDA

View Full Version : Protecting ends in warm, dry environment?

Ekkwhine
February 6th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Hi all.
I'm a palliative care assistant in a residential setting, and new (ish) to actually caring for my hair more than throwing it in a ponytail. I've converted to CO washing, oiling and not over washing to get some moisture into my over processed hair and have been pleased with the results so far. It's just occurred to me, my skin and lips suffer terribly with the heating in my work, so I assume my hair does too. What would be the best way of dealing with This? A leave in conditioner? Coconut oil? Something glycerine based?
I look forward to reading replies.

Shorty89
February 6th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Hmmm, it does depend on your length a bit, but a bun would be a start. I like damp bunning for increasing moisture - especially after I do a SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment). But, not everyone has good results. Some people have scalp issues with damp bunning. I think the simplest thing to do is to try to drink lots of water there and make sure that you have enough humidity at home.

Beeboo123
February 6th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Spritz the ends with water or humectants, oil, then bun, tucking the ends under.

Ekkwhine
February 7th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Thanks so much. I do bun as I need it out the way, it tends to be the first thing grabbed when someone is distressed. It's headed to apl, I'll start damp Bunning and look into the other suggestions
Thanks

Lizzie.torp
February 8th, 2018, 12:33 AM
I live in the desert and glycerin is a bad idea IMHO. It pulls moisture in from the air but when there isn't any, it pulls it out of your hair. I recommend sealing in moisture with oil either after a shower or dampen the ends and add oil. It really shouldn't take too much oil to do the trick.

Ophidian
February 8th, 2018, 06:48 AM
In the winter with dry indoor heat, I like damp bunning, wrapping my hair in a silk scarf (though this is definitely a "house look" for me :p), and the LOC method both after a wash and between as needed. Lots of ways to do this but I either start with damp hair from the shower or spritz the ends with water or rosewater, then apply a few drops of oil, then one of Nightblooming's hair salves (basically a heavy leave-in conditioner).

lapushka
February 8th, 2018, 07:05 AM
I would recommend the LOC/LCO method and yes bunning, or at least use a leave-in + a serum. The link to LOC/LCO is in my signature, should you be curious and need the thread.