PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious Hair Breakage...

MrsDay
February 5th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I took a recent length picture and Iím happy my hair seems to keep growing, but judging by the photos it appears Iím getting some suspicious breakage in the middle of my back.
Whats curious about this is that I rarely, if ever, wear my hair down. So I donít believe itís being caused by me sitting against my hair...
Could this be caused by the buns I wear? Anyone have similar experiences?

https://i.imgur.com/pXYf636.jpg

Blue Mermaid
February 5th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Have you ever had your hair longer? I wonder if you have a short terminal length? Looks like it's the nape of your neck- do you wear ponytails/hair elastics? Could also be your hair rubbing on your shirt if your texture is fine, it probably breaks easily.

MrsDay
February 5th, 2018, 07:43 PM
The length it is right now is the longest it’s ever been. Usually somewhere between APL & BSL I get squirrelly and cut it back.

I typically wear my hair bunned and secured with a claw clip. At night sometimes I will wear a satin scrunchie. Maybe that’s what’s causing the damage.

What’s confusing me is that it seems between the 1st photo and today’s photo (8 months difference) the middle part of my hair has almost completely broken away and I’ve been caring for it better now than ever before. Hmmm... something’s causing it I just need to determine what!

divinedobbie
February 5th, 2018, 07:44 PM
My first guess would've been rubbing against chair backs or straps but you did say you wear your hair up most of the time. My next guess as above might be hair elastics.

What kind of buns do you wear? Do you constantly wear the same one in the same position or do you switch things up? I could only vaguely suggest that constant if gentle tension in one direction might cause some breakage.

divinedobbie
February 5th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I think your December picture still looks good, I only start to notice it in the February picture. I would think it might be a bit more recent change. How long have you been wearing your hair up?

Also, do you dye your hair? That's exactly what the ends of my hair looked like for a while as I grew bleach out. The dyed ends weren't strong enough to last past a few years of wear and tear without breaking off.

MrsDay
February 5th, 2018, 08:11 PM
I usually twist my hair to the right, and clip it up. Nothing fancy and almost always the same. :( So yeah, maybe that’s causing the damage.

I am growing out bleach, yeah! My ends are very weak but this breakage pattern threw me for a loop!

*Wednesday*
February 5th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Between Dec and Feb it looks thinner or thinned out during that time. It appears it happened rapidly. Running your fingers gently through your hair 5 times...does hair come loose each time? If so, maybe hair loss? Has your diet changed or any medical conditions?

MrsDay
February 5th, 2018, 09:09 PM
I just ran my fingers through my hair and no hair came out. So that seems promising.

No dietary changes, but there has been a ton of illnesses run through our house this winter. Colds, flu, bronchitis... perhaps that’s had an effect.

Blue Mermaid
February 5th, 2018, 09:16 PM
I think it has more to do with the growing out bleach. I grew out bleach too, and it would always reach a point and just break off. I ended up maintaining around collarbone for nearly a year doing frequent trims until all the bleach was gone- and then my taper disappeared and my hair grew rapidly from there. I didn't realize that you had colored your hair, though looking at your avatar picture I can see the length is much darker than your roots. I would try to rule out mechanical damage and health issues, but it may just be a waiting game for the bleach to grow out and get trimmed off.

AutobotsAttack
February 5th, 2018, 11:16 PM
Can I ask how do you do any parts, or sectioning when you go to put your hair up? Do you tend to part or section in the same general area all the time? My hair is doing the exact same thing, and itís mostly due to always parting or sectioning my hair in a certain spot all the time. Considering your diet is in check, and no hairs come out when you run your fingers through them, and along with the growing out some color, I think the newer hairs towards your roots are able to hold up the mechanical stress, and as the longer colored parts get older they canít really match up. There may just be broken hairs youíre not seeing. Like when you go to shower, and detangle, and maybe some hairs break while fastened up in your hairstyles. I have this exact same issue.

Simsy
February 6th, 2018, 03:54 AM
I just ran my fingers through my hair and no hair came out. So that seems promising.

No dietary changes, but there has been a ton of illnesses run through our house this winter. Colds, flu, bronchitis... perhaps thatís had an effect.

Illness and stress can hammer hair a lot more than many people realise. Might just be a perfect storm of old damage finally breaking right in the middle of flu season. Fingers crossed it settles down for you.

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 07:14 AM
Can I ask if you had heat damage left? Or dye damage? It's the first thing that came to my mind.

If it's totally virgin, I would stop wearing the scrunchie at night and start wearing it down to sleep, see what that does. Otherwise there seem to be few indicators.

How's your bloodwork? Sometimes hair can do these things when the inside is not healthy (thyroid issues mainly).

Jo Ann
February 6th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I would try something other than a claw clip for a few months, like a hair stick or spin pins--see if your line of breakage moves down. I'm thinking maybe your claw clip is causing the breakage for the last few inches of your hair.

Does your claw clip get caught now and then? I'm thinking maybe the metal spring can be the culprit here.

chomsky
February 6th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Your hair has an upside down U like this lady here (https://youtu.be/xkQLVbZb6EE?list=PL315B8C3226CF09A7&t=379). Her's was caused by bunning damage, since she wore her hair up in the same style and the same spot most days. It's probably manipulation damage.

Maybe switch up your claw clip style for now. Eliminate all health possibilities and stuff, and then see if changing your hairstyle will allow the thickness to grow down. :o

MrsDay
February 6th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Your hair has an upside down U like this lady here (https://youtu.be/xkQLVbZb6EE?list=PL315B8C3226CF09A7&t=379). Her's was caused by bunning damage, since she wore her hair up in the same style and the same spot most days. It's probably manipulation damage.
Maybe switch up your claw clip style for now. Eliminate all health possibilities and stuff, and then see if changing your hairstyle will allow the thickness to grow down. :o

Wow, yeah that looks exactly what's happening to me!

To answer a few questions that have been asked:
- Yes, I have dye damage I am growing out. The top half of my hair is virgin, the bottom/length is previously bleach highlighted.
- I do not use heat on my hair. Maybe once or twice per YEAR if I need to do something fancy.
- I wear my hair up almost every day in a bun secured with a claw clip (I never thought to really do any different styles since I had figured this was "protective")

Based on the experiences suggestions you all have had I think I need to stop wearing the same bun everyday. :( I have some hair forks that I'm just not very skilled at using, which is why I always end up using my claw clip. I'll have to get better with those!

MrsDay
February 6th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Can I ask if you had heat damage left? Or dye damage? It's the first thing that came to my mind.
If it's totally virgin, I would stop wearing the scrunchie at night and start wearing it down to sleep, see what that does. Otherwise there seem to be few indicators.
How's your bloodwork? Sometimes hair can do these things when the inside is not healthy (thyroid issues mainly).

Yes, Heat and Dye damage is growing out. The top part of my hair is virgin but the ends (where the breakage is happening) are damaged from previous abuse!
My blood work is good. I've had it checked recently in my yearly check up and there were no indicators of thyroid, cholesterol, blood sugar, or iron issues. So, I think it's just the way I've been wearing my hair mixed with the fact that the ends are damaged from before I started caring for my hair the way I should.

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Yes, Heat and Dye damage is growing out. The top part of my hair is virgin but the ends (where the breakage is happening) are damaged from previous abuse!
My blood work is good. I've had it checked recently in my yearly check up and there were no indicators of thyroid, cholesterol, blood sugar, or iron issues. So, I think it's just the way I've been wearing my hair mixed with the fact that the ends are damaged from before I started caring for my hair the way I should.

Yes, then you have to look no further. IMMHO you don't. Heat & dye damage (esp. bleach) can be bad! Just keep an eye on the virgin hair - it shouldn't happen to that part.

I have been bunning my hair 6 days out of 7 in a LWB (lazy wrap bun) for the last 5 years at least, day in, day out, with a hair fork; so I doubt it's the bunning, although... some hair can withstand that more than other hair. And you have fine/thin hair, so you need to be careful with that hairtype anyway.

chomsky
February 6th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Yes, then you have to look no further. IMMHO you don't. Heat & dye damage (esp. bleach) can be bad! Just keep an eye on the virgin hair - it shouldn't happen to that part.

I have been bunning my hair 6 days out of 7 in a LWB (lazy wrap bun) for the last 5 years at least, day in, day out, with a hair fork; so I doubt it's the bunning, although... some hair can withstand that more than other hair. And you have fine/thin hair, so you need to be careful with that hairtype anyway.

I think it also depending on what tools someone is using to bun their hair. Like bunning with a hair tie vs. a stick, type of thing. :o

Edit: and how tight is is on the scalp. For my claw clips tend to tug a bit, even though it's not uncomfortable.

jera
February 6th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I would try something other than a claw clip for a few months, like a hair stick or spin pins--see if your line of breakage moves down. I'm thinking maybe your claw clip is causing the breakage for the last few inches of your hair.

Does your claw clip get caught now and then? I'm thinking maybe the metal spring can be the culprit here.

I have to agree. Try something other than the claw clip and see if your hair improves. Also, if your health is good, how has your diet been? Are you eating the same? Getting enough protein? Do you take any hair vitamins, or stopped taking them recently? Are you under stress more than usual ?

Celtic Morla
February 7th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I find if I use any elastics or band it will break. I tend now to just bun it with pins. I also get breakage from the husband OOPSI on my hair by rolling onto it or just laying on it just as I move. I should try putting it in a cap but I am a very restles sleeper

Wendyp
February 7th, 2018, 06:25 PM
I usually twist my hair to the right, and clip it up. Nothing fancy and almost always the same. :( So yeah, maybe thatís causing the damage.

I am growing out bleach, yeah! My ends are very weak but this breakage pattern threw me for a loop!

While i was growing out damage i started getting aveda keratin express treatments. i dont trust any other kind of keratin. Also doing the CWC method helps alot and LOC. I also recently discoveryed redkin ph bonding treatment, kind of like aveda but not as permanent. Hope that helps!

FrayedFire
February 8th, 2018, 03:10 PM
My guess is a combination of old damage (growing out bleach) and using the same style all the time, but I bet the sicknesses didn't help either. Sometimes hair will reach a point where it suddenly gets much worse from damage that happened years ago... but I didn't even realize there was something wrong until I looked at the title, I thought it was just a growth shot, haha. Try some new styles and don't worry too much unless you see issues with virgin hair.

lmfbs
February 8th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Are you sure it's breakage? Overall your entire head looks like the hair is thinning, but that could be a bit because it's straightened. Can you see visible signs of breakage in the strands? A layer, particularly a layer with splits or white dots on the end?

LexI bright
February 8th, 2018, 05:06 PM
I can attest to bleach damage causing breakage long after bleach was stopped. For me, my hair was breaking off all throughout, even a few inches from my scalp. I finally narrowed it down to protein overload!! I had been using Olaplex, protein co, masks and such thinking I was helping strengthen and repair my heavily highligted hair. I didn't even realize protein was in my styling products too. My hair became brittle from all the protein and just snapped when I tested for elasticiy. That coupled with the tension from claw clip could explain your pattern of breakage. Take a look at your product stash's ingredients. If protein heavy, check your hair's elasticity. If it is protein overload, you need moisture and zero protein until elasticity wnl.

*Wednesday*
February 8th, 2018, 05:36 PM

I'm enjoying her channel. ☺