PDA

View Full Version : The best sulfate free shampoos?

jera
February 5th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I accidentally ruined my hair using Kathy Ireland's Nugene shampoo for ten months a couple of years ago. My hair had reached tailbone length at last and I could almost sit on it. Ecstacy!. But at the end of 10 months, I noticed my hair had not grown AT ALL. Very unusual. I stopped the shampoo which I found way too drying and switched to Avalon organics Rosemary volumizing shampoo. My hair is still too dry on it and not only has it not grown, I've lost about 4-5 inches in length. Pouf - just disappeared. This is most upsetting. What kind of shampoo would be best for hair needing hydration but not weighty oils?

Wavybrunetteuk
February 5th, 2018, 07:53 PM
I am using the the 'rainforest' honey moisturizing shampoo from The Body Shop.

*Wednesday*
February 5th, 2018, 08:35 PM
I use OGX, Argan of Morocco shampoo and conditioner. It does not weigh down for me. I have fine hair. Do you do deep conditioning treatments? When my hair was overly dry, hair cholesterol by Queen Helene helped.

http://www.queenhelene.com/haircare_product_detail.php?id=8

wannabe-rusalka
February 5th, 2018, 08:38 PM
I've been using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, they are very conditioning and I like them so far but they do have a bit of a learning curve- I've heard Shea Moisture has some good sulfate free shampoos but I've never personally used them.

AutobotsAttack
February 5th, 2018, 08:54 PM
I’ve been using Shea Moisture 100% virgin coconut oil shampoo. Very very light formula. Suited for all hair types.

Arciela
February 5th, 2018, 08:59 PM
I use Free and Clear shampoo..no irritation and it does a great job! Although I mostly cowash now..but when I have to shampoo that is what I use :flower:

ExpectoPatronum
February 5th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I really like Not Your Mother's Naturals shampoos. I just finished the one for curly hair and I'm probably going to repurchase (or try a different scent in that line) because I liked it that much. I only use shampoo once a week, so bottle lasted me a while - I think 8 or 9 months? Not bad!

Harini
February 5th, 2018, 11:40 PM
I really enjoy Maui Moisture (specifically Thicken & Restore is the "flavor"). The label reads "No: mineral oil, silicones, parabens, gluten, SLS, sulfated surfactants, synthetic dyes, ALES; Yes: vegan, eco-friendly, pure coconut water, pure aloe juice"
This particular "flavor" uses bamboo, castor oil and neem oil, and their other lines have good ingredients as well. Great smell and it comes in both shampoo and conditioner.

Edit: fix autocorrect spelling

DoomKitty
February 6th, 2018, 01:31 AM
I like the Marc Anthony range...not exactly cheap but my hair loves it. I'm using the Stregthening Grow Strong S&C atm. And the Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioning treatment is awesome too.

Nini
February 6th, 2018, 02:08 AM
I like Urtekram, particularly the chamomile one. Lavender is pretty nice too. Although it's necessary to clarify once in a while.

On another note. It's quite normal for the hair to go into sleep mode for a while. Also, do you wear it up or down? Way back before I found LHC in the early 2000s I thought mid-back/waist was as long as my hair would grow. But with consistent braiding or bunning I've made it to mid-thigh.

Mrsrothermel
February 6th, 2018, 05:52 AM
I use the Shea Moisture mint & ginger detox shampoo and the Eden Bodyworks peppermint tea tree, I love both! I tend to get an itchy scalp and product buildup but these help a lot.

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I accidentally ruined my hair using Kathy Ireland's Nugene shampoo for ten months a couple of years ago. My hair had reached tailbone length at last and I could almost sit on it. Ecstacy!. But at the end of 10 months, I noticed my hair had not grown AT ALL. Very unusual. I stopped the shampoo which I found way too drying and switched to Avalon organics Rosemary volumizing shampoo. My hair is still too dry on it and not only has it not grown, I've lost about 4-5 inches in length. Pouf - just disappeared. This is most upsetting. What kind of shampoo would be best for hair needing hydration but not weighty oils?

If you're in the EU...

I loved the Urtekram shampoos. It is a Danish brand but you can get them in Belgium through Bio-planet from Colruyt.

Also Organic Surge used to be sulfate-free, to my knowledge (I had a few bottles like that).

Avalon Organics I also tried, but I loved the Urtekram far more.

I think... that's about it. I had to give them up because they caused flare-ups of my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). I need to keep the scalp squeaky clean, so I use sulfates.

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Forgot! If you're in the US, there's also Hask (very nice brand, I hear).

melikai
February 6th, 2018, 08:09 AM
My favourite, and I've tried a ton, is Yves Rocher Delicate Cleansing Cream. I only use it every 3 weeks or so though, and otherwise do water-only, so if you need something stronger it may not work for you. Another one I liked that is meant for babies is Weleda Calendula Shampoo & Body Wash. It has similar cleansers, isn't quite as gentle, but is still very nice.

Jo Ann
February 6th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Shea Moisture's (aka SM) Intense Hydration shampoo and conditioner works for me! I also like SM's Strengthen and Grow leave-in (we call it JBCO here, because it has Jamaican Black Castor Oil in it).

MusicalSpoons
February 6th, 2018, 02:44 PM
I use Neutral shampoo by Natura Siberica, it is gentler than some others I've tried but still does a decent job on this oily scalp. Other sulphate-free shampoos from the brand are also available, lots with some protein in which is why I've not tried many others. They also do shampoos with sulphates, so do check.

My Mum really liked L'Occitane 5 oils shampoo. After a while it was a bit too much for her hair, but if you find your hair likes that kind of thing you can always clarify at regular intervals, or just use it in rotation if you're not trying to be minimalistic/simplifying your routine or products.

I can't remember if it was mentioned on this thread or another, but Body Shop do what I hear is a nice line of sulphate-free shampoos and conditioner.
^^All the ones I've mentioned so far are also silicone-free.

By the way, the limited Urtekram I've seen for sale here in the UK appears to have Sodium-Coco-Sulphate in (sulphate derived from coconut = still sulphate!) so do always check your labels, as different markets sometimes have different formulations.

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 03:42 PM
By the way, the limited Urtekram I've seen for sale here in the UK appears to have Sodium-Coco-Sulphate in (sulphate derived from coconut = still sulphate!) so do always check your labels, as different markets sometimes have different formulations.

That might be why it wasn't that bad for me. It still caused a flare-up, in the end, but I could tolerate it better than other sulfate-free shampoos out there.

jera
February 6th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all these great suggestions. I'm in the U.S. but can order online if I absolutely need to. It's surprising how many shampoos out there are still not sulfate free. I had higher hopes for Avalon Organics, but every head of hair is different, and my hair just didn't respond well to it.

Ophidian
February 8th, 2018, 07:04 AM
I am really really liking Acure Argan Ultra Hydrating shampoo. Not the cheapest unfortunately but I dilute it so a little goes a long way. It contains a lot of very moisturizing ingredients without a lot of oils and butters so it doesn't leave my hair weighed down, just soft and not stripped. I have also used and liked the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus shampoo, though with your hair type it might be a bit heavy? Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture shampoo is another good one for me. I found Avalon to be very drying too.

Joyful Mystery
February 8th, 2018, 08:35 AM
I use Free and Clear shampoo..no irritation and it does a great job! Although I mostly cowash now..but when I have to shampoo that is what I use :flower:

I love this shampoo!

ETA: I also get no irritation from Desert Essence. I've only used Green Apple & Ginger and the Coconut shampoos. Avalon Organics (at least the Cucumber one) doesn't irritate me, either. But my favorite is the Free and Clear. I had to take a break from using it after I started getting build-up from it after a year of consistent use, but will defiantly go back to it.

lapushka
February 8th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Try and watch these videos. CurlyPenny & BiancaRenee get to the drugstore to pick products that are sulfate & silicone free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAN7KE6RvGI&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OST_WIpIUy8&t=0s

Lady Stardust
February 8th, 2018, 09:26 AM
I'm getting on well with the Noughty Shine shampoo and conditioner. They have recently expanded their range and it looks like the products are now available online in the US.

Joyful Mystery
February 8th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I love this shampoo!

ETA: I also get no irritation from Desert Essence. I've only used Green Apple & Ginger and the Coconut shampoos. Avalon Organics (at least the Cucumber one) doesn't irritate me, either. But my favorite is the Free and Clear. I had to take a break from using it after I started getting build-up from it after a year of consistent use, but will defiantly go back to it.

Well, I'm going have to remove Desert Essence Coconut from my list. I've used it about 3 times and today realized that it's probably what's causing me to be itchy lately.

nycelle
February 8th, 2018, 12:34 PM
I'm new here, but might as well add what I use.

Currently, I'm back to using MorrocanOil products, specifically their hydrating shampoo and conditioner. Both are sulfate free. But, they do contain -cones.
On my hair, I can go 4 days in between shampoos when I use it. It's not cheap, but since I wash twice a week, it lasts a looong time.