PDA

View Full Version : Any wavies/curlies tried this diffusing technique?

WildandSeawhite
February 5th, 2018, 03:25 PM
https://youtu.be/YJti8k4hT2I

She explains in the description that she does one side with the diffuser attachment just to compare the two methods.

I came across this on Pinterest today. I don’t normally diffuse my hair, but I thought I’d give it a try. I did my normal wash and style routine and then air dried my hair for a couple hours before trying it. I’m much happier with the results than with a diffuser attachment.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4665/26231626088_bfcf4e5f21_z_d.jpg

Corvana
February 5th, 2018, 03:53 PM
I've seen this on Naturally Curly! And it's made me want to get a mesh strainer when I get my diffuser :laugh:. The con is less volume, but I think that blow-drying upside-down negates that!

Arctic
February 5th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Ha ha, one more kitchen item moves to the bathroom!

That looks like it might actually work!

WildandSeawhite
February 5th, 2018, 04:34 PM
I've seen this on Naturally Curly! And it's made me want to get a mesh strainer when I get my diffuser :laugh:. The con is less volume, but I think that blow-drying upside-down negates that!

In my case, I’m happy with less volume. :D Diffuser attachments always make my hair super frizzy.

Ha ha, one more kitchen item moves to the bathroom!

That looks like it might actually work!

Post a photo if you try it! :)

lapushka
February 5th, 2018, 04:39 PM
I'll stick to my diffuser. ;) :p

I've long stopped experimenting. I've seen this on someone else's YT before, though I can't remember which one. It's a popular curly channel though. :hmm:

WildandSeawhite
February 5th, 2018, 05:26 PM
I'll stick to my diffuser. ;) :p

I've long stopped experimenting. I've seen this on someone else's YT before, though I can't remember which one. It's a popular curly channel though. :hmm:

I had never seen it before, but it made so much sense when I watched the video. :D I totally understand! Most of my hair “experiments” turn out pretty badly. I had been hoping for a diffusing method that worked better for my hair though. I’ll mostly still stick to air-drying though. ;)

PixieP
February 5th, 2018, 05:39 PM
I gotta try this! My diffuser takes FOREVER so I never use it, which means I blow-dry all the waves out of my hair. I saw a few more videos that tried it, and it seemed to get a thumbs up from everyone :)

melikai
February 6th, 2018, 08:50 AM
My only concern would be if the metal heats up a lot from the hairdryer, which would be more damaging than plastic, which doesn't get as hot. I don't have a diffuser though...or a hairdryer...but if I get one I'll try this out!

WildandSeawhite
February 6th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I gotta try this! My diffuser takes FOREVER so I never use it, which means I blow-dry all the waves out of my hair. I saw a few more videos that tried it, and it seemed to get a thumbs up from everyone :)

I saw a couple other videos with it too and it seems to work for various types of wavy and curly. :D I’d love to see a photo if you try it!

My only concern would be if the metal heats up a lot from the hairdryer, which would be more damaging than plastic, which doesn't get as hot. I don't have a diffuser though...or a hairdryer...but if I get one I'll try this out!

I did not find that the metal got too hot when I tried it, but I used a cheap dollar store strainer with plastic around the edges and a plastic handle. The bowl of the strainer is the only metal. I also didn’t spend a long time on each section. Post a photo if you do try it! :D

littlestarface
February 6th, 2018, 09:16 AM
It looks like it would work great for curlies, her hair looked amazing after nice spiraly and so bouncy. But for waves I don't think it would be unless your a 2/3.

Beeboo123
February 6th, 2018, 09:55 AM
I get the exact same results with plopping and air drying... Not going to try this, it’s too much effort, and I don’t want heat on my hair

WildandSeawhite
February 6th, 2018, 11:30 AM
It looks like it would work great for curlies, her hair looked amazing after nice spiraly and so bouncy. But for waves I don't think it would be unless your a 2/3.

Her hair is gorgeous, isn’t it! I wish I had spirals like that. I’m a 2b and I think it worked pretty well for mine. :shrug: It had more definition and much less frizz than when I’ve used a diffuser attachment. It’s hard to see the definition in my photo, because the light wasn’t very good.

I get the exact same results with plopping and air drying... Not going to try this, it’s too much effort, and I don’t want heat on my hair

That’s awesome that you have such great results with plopping and air drying! :) I don’t like to use heat very often, but sometimes I don’t want to wait so many hours for my hair to dry naturally. :p

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I had never seen it before, but it made so much sense when I watched the video. :D I totally understand! Most of my hair “experiments” turn out pretty badly. I had been hoping for a diffusing method that worked better for my hair though. I’ll mostly still stick to air-drying though. ;)

This was the video I watched; it was a lesser known curly hair channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTxPDa35uE

PixieP
February 6th, 2018, 01:08 PM

I blow dry on “barely warm”, so for me at least that isn’t a concern (my hairdryer has 9 different temperature settings, from “icy blast” to “this WILL burn you”, so it’s easy to control the exact amount of heat I want)

WildandSeawhite
February 6th, 2018, 02:50 PM
This was the video I watched; it was a lesser known curly hair channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTxPDa35uE

Good video! Thank you for sharing! She even used a completely plastic strainer. I also like the way she says “colander”. :laugh: It seemed that she still preferred using the diffuser attachment, but she has really nice curls and no frizz. Lucky girl!

WildandSeawhite
February 6th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I blow dry on “barely warm”, so for me at least that isn’t a concern (my hairdryer has 9 different temperature settings, from “icy blast” to “this WILL burn you”, so it’s easy to control the exact amount of heat I want)

Yes, I forgot to mention that I had my dryer set on low and warm. Nine different settings though! That’s awesome! :D

chomsky
February 6th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I'd be a bit scared of my sieve getting too hot from the blowdryer and murdering my hand. :P

Innovative though, that's for sure.

PixieP
February 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Yes, I forgot to mention that I had my dryer set on low and warm. Nine different settings though! That’s awesome! :D

I really love it, I bought a new one this autumn, the Remington PRO-Luxe AC9140. My old one was like 8 years old and super cheap. Not that the Remington is expensive, but it was a big quality upgrade :D I’m really happy with it.

WildandSeawhite
February 6th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I really love it, I bought a new one this autumn, the Remington PRO-Luxe AC9140. My old one was like 8 years old and super cheap. Not that the Remington is expensive, but it was a big quality upgrade :D I’m really happy with it.

Thank you, I’ll have to look for that dryer! I’ve only had the one I currently have a little over a year and a piece already broke off. :doh: Also, if I’m not careful and let the ends of my hair get near the back, the suction pulls strands in and they get stuck, forcing me to have to cut them free. It’s only a couple hairs, but still... that shouldn’t happen!

PixieP
February 6th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I think that will happen with every dryer, I’ve had that happen with both my old and my new one. It’s because it’s sucks in air in the back. On my new one way less hair gets sucked in though, my old one I would loose big knots!

WildandSeawhite
February 6th, 2018, 06:33 PM
I think that will happen with every dryer, I’ve had that happen with both my old and my new one. It’s because it’s sucks in air in the back. On my new one way less hair gets sucked in though, my old one I would loose big knots!

That’s good to know! It really irritates me when it happens, but I don’t blow dry my hair very often. It’s certainly a hazard the longer hair gets.

Wildcat Diva
February 6th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Wow! I find this brilliant. I will try it!

Lady Katherine
February 7th, 2018, 09:06 AM
This is so cool, I'm gonna try tomorrow on wash day! :)

WildandSeawhite
February 8th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Wow! I find this brilliant. I will try it!

This is so cool, I'm gonna try tomorrow on wash day! :)

Yay!! I’m so glad some people found this as interesting as I did! :D Feel free to post photos of your results!

PixieP
February 10th, 2018, 01:06 PM
So I tried this yesterday!

I didn’t have the best starting point. My towel has been on for too long, so the first 15-20 cms of my hair was basically dry, and my length only damp. This means I struggled to contain my hair in the colander. It just tried to slide out. And since it has been in the towel too long it had flattened out a bit already, and I didn’t have any product in at all. And lastly, I was too tired to finish blow drying as it was past midnight and I wanted to go to sleep. But still, at 90% dry my was wavier than it is when I blow dry normally! And it did dry my length faster. So I am sold and will totally try it again.

Kake
February 11th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I've never had any success with a diffuser, but think I'll give this method a go next time I want curls. Thanks for sharing Wildansseawhite.

ExpectoPatronum
February 11th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Interesting technique! I'm not sure if I'll try it - mostly because I will probably never remember to grab the strainer from the kitchen - but this is a neat trick for any new curly who has a hair dryer but no diffuser attachment. I know I never kept a diffuser around until I stopped flat ironing my hair. I wonder if different strainers would have different end results? :hmm:

LexI bright
February 12th, 2018, 09:01 AM
I just have to try this cuz I like silly stuff :p

WildandSeawhite
February 14th, 2018, 01:49 PM
So I tried this yesterday!

I didn’t have the best starting point. My towel has been on for too long, so the first 15-20 cms of my hair was basically dry, and my length only damp. This means I struggled to contain my hair in the colander. It just tried to slide out. And since it has been in the towel too long it had flattened out a bit already, and I didn’t have any product in at all. And lastly, I was too tired to finish blow drying as it was past midnight and I wanted to go to sleep. But still, at 90% dry my was wavier than it is when I blow dry normally! And it did dry my length faster. So I am sold and will totally try it again.

Awesome!! :D That sounds like it worked out really well! So glad you had success with it! :happydance:

WildandSeawhite
February 14th, 2018, 01:56 PM
I've never had any success with a diffuser, but think I'll give this method a go next time I want curls. Thanks for sharing Wildansseawhite.

You’re most welcome, Kake! I hope it works well for you! :)

Interesting technique! I'm not sure if I'll try it - mostly because I will probably never remember to grab the strainer from the kitchen - but this is a neat trick for any new curly who has a hair dryer but no diffuser attachment. I know I never kept a diffuser around until I stopped flat ironing my hair. I wonder if different strainers would have different end results? :hmm:

That’s a really interesting question. I’ve seen videos of people using an all plastic strainer, and they seem to work just as well. A couple people have mentioned that they would be concerned about a metal strainer getting too hot with the dryer, so the plastic one would be a nice option.

I just have to try this cuz I like silly stuff :p

I think this is a fantastic reason to try it! ;)