PDA

View Full Version : Acv Rinse

Heitu
February 5th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Hi all, I did my first rinse with ACV and was suprised how good the result was! My hair is heavily bleached (though now it's dyed close to my own Light Brown Color and I haven't dyed it for 6 months) and almost waist-lenght so especially the ends DO need moisture. I wash my hair with rye flour and use jojoba oil and shea butter as leave-ins. So, my question is that can ACV truly be enough and good for my hair? Can the acidity do some damage to my hair in the long run? I diluted the acv with nettle tea, 2 tbls of acv and maybe 1 Cup of nettle tea. My hair feels great but I'm worried it's just a feeling..

mwallingford
February 5th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Hi Heitu! I'm certainly no expert on the ACV rinse, but I've heard that many people have good results with it! I use it after I shampoo and condition my hair, and it makes my hair very soft and shiny. I don't think it would hurt your hair providing you dilute it (which you are already doing). My mother was telling me a story about her grandmother, and how she used to use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner, and how she had healthy classic length hair well into her 80s. (That could easily be genetics though). Many people seem to dilute it quite a bit, but I usually put one or two ounces of ACV into an eight ounce squirt container and fill the rest up with cold water. I think I always used cold because it is supposed to help smooth the follicles of your hair so that it is smoother and locks in some moisture, but I'm not sure if that works or if it's a placebo effect. And I believe that it is supposed to help restore the ph balance of your scalp because of it's acidity, but most shampoos are ph balanced anyways. Sorry for the length of this reply! I hope this helps at least a little bit!
p.s: How do you wash your hair with rye flour? Is it effective? I hope that isn't too personal of a question, but that's really neat! I have to wash my hair with sulfates because of my scalp, and though I haven't seen any adverse effects, I'm quite curious.

lapushka
February 5th, 2018, 03:18 PM
p.s: How do you wash your hair with rye flour? Is it effective? I hope that isn't too personal of a question, but that's really neat! I have to wash my hair with sulfates because of my scalp, and though I haven't seen any adverse effects, I'm quite curious.

If you go to the natural recipes side of the forum, it's filled with people who wash "differently", with flours and herbs and such. :flower:

I can't do this either. I need sulfates (due to SD).

Stray_mind
February 6th, 2018, 07:49 AM
My scalp Loves ACV rinses. All the itching and flaking disappears always and my hair becomes very shiny :)

Jo Ann
February 6th, 2018, 08:58 AM
I substitute white vinegar when I do a vinegar rinse, but find I have to use conditioner after I rinse out the vinegar rinse.

Maybe it's just me... https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_scratch.png

mwallingford
February 6th, 2018, 04:24 PM
If you go to the natural recipes side of the forum, it's filled with people who wash "differently", with flours and herbs and such. :flower:

I can't do this either. I need sulfates (due to SD).

Thanks lapushka! That's really neat how some people can do that, and I had no idea this was even on the forum! I guess you learn something new every day

Reyn127
February 6th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Hi there. This may just be how MY hair likes it and you may be totally different. But I think that's a lot of vinegar for the amount of other liquids! Personally I would only use about 1/4 of that amount. And I agree with a previous poster, if you're not having luck with acv, you could try white vinegar instead.

But really, I don't know if vinegar would give you the moisture you're looking for. You may want to try aloe or honey for your ends. The vinegar will help make your hair smooth but I don't think more moisturized.

LadyCelestina
February 7th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Something I learned on this board about ACV dilution: if it's too sour to drink, it's too acidic for hair.

ReptilianFeline
February 7th, 2018, 11:33 PM
I used diluted ACV... when it smelled of apples, it was fine to use, when it smelled of acid it was too harsh.
I then switched to lemon green tea... one bag, easy to make in a jar and no need to dilute. I also mixed in lavender tea sometimes. The acid in the lemon tea seemed to be enough to help balance my chickpea flour poo (I will try rye flour to see if there is a difference).

My latest and best rinse so far is coffee... my hair is shinier than ever!

No matter what rinse you use, keep an eye on how your hair feels.

LadyCelestina
February 8th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I used diluted ACV... when it smelled of apples, it was fine to use, when it smelled of acid it was too harsh.
I then switched to lemon green tea... one bag, easy to make in a jar and no need to dilute. I also mixed in lavender tea sometimes. The acid in the lemon tea seemed to be enough to help balance my chickpea flour poo (I will try rye flour to see if there is a difference).

Does it change your haircolour at all?

Wendyp
February 8th, 2018, 05:50 AM
I’m curious..does tea rinse do the same thing? Or is acv totally different?

AutobotsAttack
February 8th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I’d say be careful with ACV rinses in hot weather. Espeacially if the sun is beaming down. A few times I’ve been out after a rinse I have to up the moisture because the acidity kind of crisps up my hair.

Wendyp
February 8th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I’d say be careful with ACV rinses in hot weather. Espeacially if the sun is beaming down. A few times I’ve been out after a rinse I have to up the moisture because the acidity kind of crisps up my hair.

ohhhhh i dont need that! my hair gets dry fast as im in fla, our sun is brutal in the summer:eek:

AutobotsAttack
February 8th, 2018, 06:47 PM
ohhhhh i dont need that! my hair gets dry fast as im in fla, our sun is brutal in the summer:eek:

Ohh yeah I understand that. Same in Texas. Just gets unforgivably hot.

The cooler months is where I’ll do ACV rinses.

Jo Ann
February 8th, 2018, 07:18 PM

I use a conditioner after I do a white vinegar rinse--my hair doesn't like vinegar rinses followed by water only :(

LexI bright
February 9th, 2018, 02:16 PM

I never would have thought to rinse with coffee...does the smell linger or dissipate like ACV?

ReptilianFeline
February 10th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Coffee as a rinse might stain, but if you just leave it for 5-10 min it probalby won't be in long enough. Repeated use might.

When you rinse your hair afterwards with just water, there will be no lingering smell... at least not if you just use the coffee. I don't know how it would be if you made a mask with coffee grounds as well... that would be more potent and might smell a bit afterwards... I haven't tried that so I don't know.

enting
February 11th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Vinegar rinses seem to simultaneously close up my cuticles and help distribute my sebum down my length. The first month or so that I used vinegar rinses my hair was greasy, whereas otherwise my hair is super duper dry. It makes my hair far more comb-able than almost anything else. Conditioner sometimes makes my hair feel dried out, vinegar usually doesn't.
I did notice that my hair was getting a bit crispy last summer so I switched back to conditioner for a bit, but now I'm back to vinegar and it's fine. (I had also changed shampoos last year to something with protein, so it could have been that, too.) If it's too acidic then yes, it can and will damage the hair just as much as too basic would, but I haven't really seen anything to indicate that I should lay off it entirely even after using it for about 8 years now. (I use synthetic vinegar if that makes any difference in anyone's information.)

lmfbs
February 11th, 2018, 06:36 PM

I live in New Zealand, and have REAL trouble with ACV in summer too. Damn ozone hole!