PDA

View Full Version : OUCH I cut it!!

starlights
February 4th, 2018, 12:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this board has been through a similar thing. Well i had long past hips hair which was quiet healthy, and last year i became a bit less focused on the hair (had it down more often) and brought myself a certain Garniar shampoo to try thinking it was nice... used it about 5 times and my hair literally fell out... it was my fault, so i had to cut it SHORT... well thankfully my hair is at waist level so not so bad now... but i feel like what a silly mistake can do!!:taz:
anyone else ever had to cut?

Beckstar
February 4th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Did you have an allergic reaction?

lapushka
February 4th, 2018, 01:39 PM
How much did you shed? Did it last or stop when you stopped using the product, because that is the way to tell if it really was the product or something else. If it was in the fall, it might have been a fall shed.

Cutting it back to waist from beyond hip when there's a shed... Maybe it's me, but I don't see how that would help matters any to cut a number of inches off. :shrug: From the title I thought you actually cut it all off. :( I think we can often act on impulse when odd and unexpected things happen to our hair. :flower: I'm sorry it happened to you.

How are things now? Still shedding?

And what product was it exactly, so maybe others can avoid it too, or share experiences. Heck, maybe it was even something I used.

Yes, maybe it was an allergic reaction like Beckstar mentioned.

starlights
February 4th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Beckstar I might have had an allergy, i am not sure? it caused my scalp to itch and hair to fall.... never using that product , but my fault really... shouldve known better!

starlights
February 4th, 2018, 02:12 PM
lapushka
the shedding stopped when i stopped using the product but by then it was too late and alot of shedding had occured so I had to cut it short. No this was not a normal shed but extreme shedding after using the shampoo and i had to cut it short, APL... but its now at my waist, so ive been fortunate im at waist now and maybe a little over :) but i have never used that shampoo since.

starlights
February 4th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Oh, i think i mentioned the product above... it was the olive Garnier shampoo product... for some reason it caused me severe shedding!

spidermom
February 4th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I almost thought I'd have to cut short after trying baking soda on my hair. It literally caused my hair to matt almost like felt. However, daily conditioner soaks allowed me to be able to comb my hair with the conditioner in it, and after about 2 weeks my hair returned to normal.

lapushka
February 4th, 2018, 04:49 PM
lapushka
the shedding stopped when i stopped using the product but by then it was too late and alot of shedding had occured so I had to cut it short. No this was not a normal shed but extreme shedding after using the shampoo and i had to cut it short, APL... but its now at my waist, so ive been fortunate im at waist now and maybe a little over :) but i have never used that shampoo since.

Which one was it? :)

starlights
February 4th, 2018, 06:22 PM
sorry to hear that spidermum but glad you kept your hair :):) wish i was as quick to recover mine, well nevermind... im just happy my hairs a little past waist now... so i can chill out, i still have long hair;) but the whole cutting thing traumatised me: NEVER again!:rolleyes:

starlights
February 4th, 2018, 06:24 PM
lapushka it was this evil thing of a shampoo that sounded so good but caused my shedding and itchiness ... i shudder for trying it...
https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Ultra-Blends-Mythic-Shampoo/dp/B01G79NIAG

DweamGoiL
February 4th, 2018, 07:20 PM
When I was a kid, I had CL hair and my hair ended up getting caught in a metal fan. It tangled so badly, I had to have it cut to shoulder length. Glad you are back and your hair bounced back so quickly!

spidermom
February 4th, 2018, 08:39 PM
I don't mind cutting my hair. I've been wearing it around shoulder length for the past year (sig pic) but decided to grow it longer this year.

Suze
February 5th, 2018, 02:13 AM
lapushka it was this evil thing of a shampoo that sounded so good but caused my shedding and itchiness ... i shudder for trying it...
I had a bad reaction to this shampoo too when it first came out here. That's why I don't really like to try oit new products anymore. But at that same time I was also experimenting with overnight oil masks on my scalp so it could have been just to much all at once for my body to deal with.

But saying it's your fault? I don't think it is you are just sensitive probably. If you already made it back to waist+ you did that quick. If this ever happens again doing a big chop might not be the best solution though. So if something like this ever happens agin maybe ask for some advice here first.:flower:

starlights
February 5th, 2018, 04:37 AM
DweamGoiL I once saw a film about a woman with beautiful long hair and she got it caught in a metal fan....your story reminded me of it... how traumatic , its not nice to cut when something else just ruins our hair! I am also happy my hair grew quickly bouncing back to waist ... i feel alot better and my hair seems like its recovering :) but i should be more careful with general treatment in the summer, so lesson learned.

lapushka
February 5th, 2018, 04:48 AM

That's odd because I've always been OK with Whole Blends aka Ultra Doux from Garnier. Maybe it's an ingredient in it. Could very well be.

Better to stick to what you know then and not push it. :flower:

Do you generally use sulfate shampoos or sulfate-free ones?

starlights
February 5th, 2018, 04:50 AM
Suze there must be something totally wrong with that shampoo... i only used it because it said it had olive extracts etc ... and so in the summer of last year started to use it... and then i knew after the 5th wash my scalp was itchy, and hair was shedding ALOT (i really dont know why i didnt just log in here, guess i forgot!!! demands of mummy hood and moving home was on my mind too SO this community didnt even cross my mind at the time)
after the shampoo caused massive shed, my hair was so thin at the bottom, it was like 10 hairs left at the bottom so I literally gave up. I knew i had to cut it but prolonged it because i love long hair.... but it wasnt the same fullness.... and a person I knew who loves short hair said to cut it, and it should grow back as before... so i got the cut because it was so wispy and lifeless at the ends... and so far its worked,,, its more full of life... i cut my hair around 3 months ago, and it is just past waist now thank goodness .
I think this was all my fault because 1) i chose to try something new when for the past so many years on this board i never deviated from the normal routin 2 ) i continued with it when noticing the first little reaction of itchy scalp without casting the damn thing 3 ) once i noticed shedding i didnt try saving the little bit of hair i had left because i didnt know how to 4) at the time of the shampoo use and shedding it was summer and i had my hair DOWN ALOT as opposed to having it up because i wanted a change and was fed up with the braids or updo's....
my hair is definately sensitive, i think i wanted a change last year to wear my hair down alot and reality is i cant do that with long hair in the summer... to much "down do's" cause me alot of shedding for some reason?????... my hair seems to like simple products, oils, and updos :) i guess my personality and my hairs dont match LOL
im dreading this summer because i want to wear my hair down, but worried the hair wont comply :( but i wont be using that shampoo ever again.

starlights
February 5th, 2018, 04:52 AM
lapushka now im using a mild shampoo without sulphates like i did before and i always wash my hair once a week. Yes i should not push it LOL

Hexen
February 5th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Wow that must have been shocking! I'd feel sad and angry and all sorts of things simultaneously! Thankfully it hasnt happened in awhile, but Ive had dreams where for whatever reason I had to cut my hair short, and in the times that it happened, the dream was usually distressing enough that it woke me up. At which point I would breath several sighs of relief that it was only a dream. So to have experienced it in reality must have been a heck of a thing! At least you're at waist length again though which is mighty nice. How unfortunate it was to experience damage when you were just trying to care for it. Tis good to know that the situation is resolving itself though.
:joy:

lapushka
February 5th, 2018, 07:43 AM
lapushka now im using a mild shampoo without sulphates like i did before and i always wash my hair once a week. Yes i should not push it LOL

Maybe sulfate-free is the way to go for you then. Maybe it's the sulfates. Have you had issues with sulfates before. How did you wash in the past, because sulfate-free hasn't always been on the market. :)

starlights
February 6th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Hexen i think most people with long hair have probably had that same dream. Some people dont mind cutting (i am like you, i hesitate to cut ) but in this situation it was called for and i was glad to see the scissors lol the worst is having thin lifeless hair.
now everything feels so much healthier, thicker (that shampoo is in the bin), and ive noticed some new "hairs" growing which wasnt there before! (like at the bottom of my head and sides)
i will measure my hair on sunday and see if im nearer hip. Funnily enough i saw a couple of hairs inching their way nearer hip than waist but i will do the final check on sunday .
Will update you :)

starlights
February 6th, 2018, 03:24 AM
lapushka ive never did a test to see if im allergic to sulphates, but seeing that my hair is so sensitive it probably was something of a severe allergy. I still blame myself though because i should have thrown the shampoo after one use instead of using it like 5 times (i am SO silly) it just didnt fully click at the time. Im currently using a milder shampoo (no sulphates) and my hair seems fine with it... i was even thinking maybe i could use herbal essence and dilute it with water... (because i love the smell) ... i dont think it would cause a shed, if i use mostly water and a wee bit of herbal essence :)

lapushka
February 6th, 2018, 07:47 AM
lapushka ive never did a test to see if im allergic to sulphates, but seeing that my hair is so sensitive it probably was something of a severe allergy. I still blame myself though because i should have thrown the shampoo after one use instead of using it like 5 times (i am SO silly) it just didnt fully click at the time. Im currently using a milder shampoo (no sulphates) and my hair seems fine with it... i was even thinking maybe i could use herbal essence and dilute it with water... (because i love the smell) ... i dont think it would cause a shed, if i use mostly water and a wee bit of herbal essence :)

Maybe you could try. If you shed more this time, you'll at least not try it 4 more times. :) And then you'll know for sure it has something to do with the sulfates. It could work. It's worth a shot.

jera
February 6th, 2018, 05:17 PM
I had a problem with Garnier also. I didn't cut but had to wear extensions. I'd steer clear of Herbal Essences even though you do like the fragrance. Healthy hair choices right now might be best.

DoomKitty
February 6th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Olive oil on my scalp makes me shed like crazy; maybe it was the olive oil in the shampoo and not the sulfate?

spirals
February 6th, 2018, 07:12 PM
It's so interesting how things work differently on different people. I have atopic dermatitis everywhere but my scalp and pretty much any soap is going to irritate it. But I can use any shampoo at all. My hair especially likes Garnier. I, too, say stick to what works. But oh, it is fun to try new things in pretty bottles! Well, at least for me.

Goatcraft
February 6th, 2018, 07:18 PM
I had a similar reaction with Mane N’ Tail shampoo years and years ago. I went to wash it out, and omg... a nightmare. Clumps of hair started to fall out, straight from the scalp.

I honestly thought maybe the shampoo had been tampered with, and a couple of years later, I tried it again. The reaction wasn’t as bad this time, but my hair did have an unusual amount of shedding in the shower - so I took that for what it was! There’s just something in the ingredients that doesn’t agree with me.

That being said, after the first time, I did quite the cut. But my hair was already damaged (hair dye), so it wasn’t too painful.

Hexen
February 6th, 2018, 07:32 PM
It's so interesting how things work differently on different people. I have atopic dermatitis everywhere but my scalp and pretty much any soap is going to irritate it. But I can use any shampoo at all. My hair especially likes Garnier. I, too, say stick to what works. But oh, it is fun to try new things in pretty bottles! Well, at least for me.

Very true! I cant say that Ive ever even tried Garnier, and I am not real familiar with so called "designer" hair products, but I myself have never had anything but great results from Herbal Essences. The stuff does indeed smell really good, and it makes my hair just soft as soft can be. Either there is some kind of flaw in the actual chemical makeup of some of these batches, or perhaps ones "bio-chemistry" literally reacts differently to different compounds... which is likely whats happening.

Wendyp
February 6th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Thank you for this thread, I have gone through huge sheds before and now I think it was what I was using since I switch around a lot. :agape: I’ll def be more careful and just stick to what works instead of looking for better! Ok

starlights
February 8th, 2018, 10:17 AM
jera I have made healthy hair choices thats how my hair has now reached waist after such a short time. I will give herbal essence a try and dilute it with lots of water (even heard rice water works!)... that way i can enjoy the smell but not stress my hair ever again. Garnier was the worse product i have ever used, it couldnt get worse than that LOL

starlights
February 8th, 2018, 10:19 AM
DoomKitty you make a good point. Olive oil causes me to shed also :) but the garner shampoo described itself as being protecting for hair etc etc blah blah so i gave it a try and i obviously had an allergy to it.

starlights
February 8th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Goatcraft your story is a parallel to mine. I am glad i cut it though because the tapered ends were not nice, now my hair feels soooo much healthier :)
and I havent lost much hair this week, maybe 7 strands in 4 days :)

starlights
February 8th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Hexen find H essences has worked in the past for me, and the palmolive products... it was my 2nd time using a Garnier product i thought it would be good as everyone was so positive about it and all the shops were selling it.

starlights
February 8th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Wendyp glad the thread helped you :) I wasnt aware either of the connection because i never saw a thread like this on this site, so i assumed i was ok to try a new odd product and bearing in mind i had past butt hair i thought it would be OK.... but yes stay clear once you notice 1 thing thats not quiet right ;)

lmfbs
February 8th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Man, that sucks. Where did you cut to?

Ariel love
February 21st, 2018, 07:48 PM
I had to cut it to a Bob one time when I was around 12 because my mum thought I couldn't handle it. I felt really bad for not having control of my own hair but now after 7 years I am finally going to grow my hair out again.