PDA

View Full Version : Stopped hair growth, but not at terminal length

floridaorchid
February 4th, 2018, 08:40 AM
The past few months, I have been convinced that I had hit terminal hair length. My usual hair growth average was between .5 to 1 inch, and it had not grown any since October. However, during this month's measure-in I found a half-inch of growth! I know that hair growth can slow during winter months/cold weather, but can it slow down that much? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Sarahlabyrinth
February 4th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Yes, it is possible for hair growth to stall for a while, good to hear you have begun growing again :)

Jas
February 4th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Hey there,

Just thought I'd chime in because I had a growth stall recently too - from mid December until now. I ended up getting worried and trimmed half an inch off a few days ago to see if the very ends just needed a chop since I have bleach damage there. Before that my hair was growing at a steady 2cm per month!

So I guess it can happen, I don't think I'm at terminal yet (or hope not!) :)

lapushka
February 4th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Yep, spurts & stalls are things that can occur. Perfectly normal, in case you were wondering. Hair reacts to anything in the body that is going on. Diet especially. So if there's a period where you cut calories or ate less or lost weight even a little, it is going to react. Not saying that happened. Sometimes there is no reason. :shrug:

I'm glad you're growing again! :flower:

spidermom
February 4th, 2018, 09:38 AM
The year I tracked measurements, I averaged about 1/4 inch per month during the winter.

floridaorchid
February 4th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Yep, spurts & stalls are things that can occur. Perfectly normal, in case you were wondering. Hair reacts to anything in the body that is going on. Diet especially. So if there's a period where you cut calories or ate less or lost weight even a little, it is going to react. Not saying that happened. Sometimes there is no reason. :shrug:

I'm glad you're growing again! :flower:

Thank you! I got married in November, and was under a great deal of stress. I think that it could have had a huge part to do with it then.

floridaorchid
February 4th, 2018, 10:14 AM
The year I tracked measurements, I averaged about 1/4 inch per month during the winter.
I am glad someone else experienced this! Every month I measured I felt so sad, but now it seems to be on track again.

Suze
February 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Great that your back on track. Stress can really influence growth, yes. So weddingstress makes sense. Belated congrats btw.

Andthetalltrees
February 4th, 2018, 01:17 PM
My hair has stopped growing for a few months before without any real reason, But I always ended up with my normal growth at the end of the year. So I agree it's normal and it happens without too much concern overall. My hair definitely grows in stall and spurts naturally, My hair was 26" from September to early December I think.