PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take for you to see yourself with "long" hair?

Rustam
February 2nd, 2018, 02:27 PM
The other day I was looking at some pictures with a family member and saw a few from a few years ago when my hair was still buzz cut short and then a few when I was in the early stages of growing it out realized I thought I looked odd like that. And had the subsequent realization that I see myself with long hair now. But I can also remember times when I would see myself in the mirror and feel almost a bit surprised to see "long" hair not really all that long ago.

I was wondering if that was the same for anyone else?

chomsky
February 2nd, 2018, 03:34 PM
I still can't really picture myself with long hair, but i think it has a lot to do with my actual length being eaten up by curls. Does that make any sense? I still think I'm "meant" for shorter hair, but I'm hoping that will all change once my hair gets longer.

Maybe when my curls leave shoulder length I'll be able to picture it better. LOL!

Dark40
February 2nd, 2018, 03:53 PM
It took me 7 years to see myself with long hair. I didn't think that I would ever reach WL in 7 years after joining here at the LHC! WL is the longest my hair has ever been in my whole entire life. I'm sad to say that I don't have that many recent family pictures of my shorter hair when I was first letting it grow out. But I've always thought that I look much better with long hair rather then with short hair.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2018, 04:04 PM
It's odd. My hair is up 6 days out of 7 (bun) and so it's down on wash day and when I go to sleep (but I don't look at it as much). I swear. I freak myself out every week being shocked almost that I have long hair to begin with. LOL! It's painfully clear when it needs to get washed. :lol:

Synester
February 2nd, 2018, 04:08 PM
As someone who has above shoulder length hair that barely grew past my shoulders no matter what i did to it, my hair was always "short" then i chopped it to my chin. and its taken me 7 years to get it to waist length that i consider "long" because its the longest my hair has ever been in my whole life. and i want to see how far it can keep going. in 2013 is when my hair decided to go past shoulder and finally hit bra strap length. it was so stubborn. but probably super stunted by tons of bleach and dye and heat damage.

Rustam
February 2nd, 2018, 04:31 PM
I'm sad to say that I don't have that many recent family pictures of my shorter hair when I was first letting it grow out. But I've always thought that I look much better with long hair rather then with short hair. It is fun to look back and see the change. Maybe you'll come across some.

It's odd. My hair is up 6 days out of 7 (bun) and so it's down on wash day and when I go to sleep (but I don't look at it as much). I swear. I freak myself out every week being shocked almost that I have long hair to begin with. LOL! It's painfully clear when it needs to get washed. :lol: I find that hilarious, but what a pleasant surprise every week! But I your mind gets used to things being certain way. I've just started wearing a bun everyday and have felt startled a few times thinking my hair is missing when I realize I can't feel my hair after wearing a ponytail for months on end.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2018, 04:37 PM
I find that hilarious, but what a pleasant surprise every week! But I your mind gets used to things being certain way. I've just started wearing a bun everyday and have felt startled a few times thinking my hair is missing when I realize I can't feel my hair after wearing a ponytail for months on end.

Yep that's kind of what it's like for me but the other way round. LOL. Suddenly there's hair there (that needs to get washed somehow). Haha!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 2nd, 2018, 06:55 PM
Yes, my hair is forever surprising me with its length, simply because it's always up, and when it's down I don't really look at it, or am washing it, so not looking at the length. Whenever I take a length shot it's like "Whoa, is my hair REALLY that long?" and "How is that even possible for my hair?" LOL. I guess I started feeling that it was long (but not yet satisfactorily long) at about Classic.

Beeboo123
February 2nd, 2018, 07:40 PM
My own hair never feels long, I’m at TBL. I think I feel that way because I am short, my hair would be about waist length on many of the members here. Maybe it will feel long at classic?

hayheadsbird
February 2nd, 2018, 08:26 PM
My own hair never feels long, I’m at TBL. I think I feel that way because I am short, my hair would be about waist length on many of the members here. Maybe it will feel long at classic?
I'm just heading to hip and feel much the same way. It's starting to look longer in proportion to my body, but it still feels really short!

Alissalocks
February 2nd, 2018, 10:41 PM
I'm just heading to hip and feel much the same way. It's starting to look longer in proportion to my body, but it still feels really short!

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's that my hair is just beginning to look long in proportion to the rest of my body, at almost hip length. But it's really not long yet... maybe TBL or classic will feel long though. :meditate: Nothing to do but wait.

Goatcraft
February 3rd, 2018, 06:45 AM
I still don't really see myself as having long hair. I'm at TBL and on my way to classic. It feels so short, despite the fact that I can now sit on my hair. I think it's because I still have a 'short hair' mindset - or maybe im in disbelief about how long it's actually grown. Who knows!

Corvana
February 3rd, 2018, 02:28 PM
I don't really notice most of the time, and then I'll see a long dark shed and be like "oh this is my roomie's... wait... this is mine! My hair isn't this long!" and then I'll hold it against my head and yep my hair is that long lol.

JennGalt
February 3rd, 2018, 03:01 PM
My hair still feels short to me. For most of my life I thought I had a very short terminal length (barely APL). So it still seems surreal to me every time I see my hair down in a mirror or my hair tickles my elbows. I'm hoping it will seem "long" to me once I hit hip, or maybe when I reach my goal of TBL.

MoonRabbit
February 3rd, 2018, 07:41 PM
I still don't really see myself as a long hair yet. Since my hair is currently longer than it has ever been, I occasionally feel like it's long only when it gets in the way in certain situations, like when I tilt my head back in the shower and it falls in the great divide, or I put on pants and my ends get tucked in. I'm hoping it will feel and look long once I pass my bum.

Kellwise Gamgee
February 3rd, 2018, 07:46 PM
I've had shorter hair most of my life (APL or shorter), so around BSL it started feeling long. In fact, BSL was my original goal because that was "long"... Here I am.as waist shooting for hip! LOLOLOL!

Robi-Bird
February 3rd, 2018, 07:49 PM
Hip is when I started calling it longer versus getting longer. And it is still getting longer.

Andthetalltrees
February 3rd, 2018, 09:26 PM
I might be weird, But my hair is brushing waist now and it's feeling long now, It's not short nor super long but it seems long enough to me be called long. Other people have agreed with me too so it's long.

hayheadsbird
February 4th, 2018, 01:48 AM
I might be weird, But my hair is brushing waist now and it's feeling long now, It's not short nor super long but it seems long enough to me be called long. Other people have agreed with me too so it's long.

I dont think thats weird. It's all personal perception isn't it?

Blue Mermaid
February 4th, 2018, 04:12 AM
when everyone around me started saying "your hair is so long!" everytime its down or in a ponytail.

Hippuris
February 4th, 2018, 12:11 PM
I’m slowly starting to think that maybe my hair is long. It varies because I have a lot of shorter layers that make it seem like most of my hair is shorter than bsl. Longest layers are past waist.

There are days when I feel long haired and others when I feel only ”normal” haired.

floridaorchid
February 4th, 2018, 12:37 PM
When it started brushing past my elbow.

Murphjen
February 8th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Sounds just like me! Except I haven't been able to reach that long! I always cut. Feels like it doesn't grow at times. Sigh

Groovy Granny
February 8th, 2018, 09:34 PM
I started from chin and it took a couple of years until it felt long and I could manage updos (@ BSL).

At chin it seemed it would never be long... and I wondered if it would even suit me (I was 61) :hmm:

It didn't help that some family members couldn't 'see it' on me and were discouraging at times :lala:

But I was determined to get back to the length I was back in the 1960's (WL+) at least once; I could cut it if it didn't work.

So I dove into learning styles and acquiring unique hair toys ...and it became a hobby I enjoy very much daily!

Now at age 66 and being at HIP (longest length in my lifetime)... I am amazed and I LOVE it :crush:

Styling it brings me such joy....and it is so much easier to care for :joy:

Enjoy each step of your journey...and express your own style because YOU love it :cheer:

LexI bright
February 9th, 2018, 02:12 PM
My hair has been SL or shorter most of my life so most pics of me are with shorter hair. My hair is now between CBL and APL so not long by any stretch. I am determined though...I WILL have long hair with new pics to prove it! :cheer:

Dark40
February 9th, 2018, 04:31 PM
As someone who has above shoulder length hair that barely grew past my shoulders no matter what i did to it, my hair was always "short" then i chopped it to my chin. and its taken me 7 years to get it to waist length that i consider "long" because its the longest my hair has ever been in my whole life. and i want to see how far it can keep going. in 2013 is when my hair decided to go past shoulder and finally hit bra strap length. it was so stubborn. but probably super stunted by tons of bleach and dye and heat damage.

Hey Synester! Yeah, me too also took me 7 years for me to see my hair actually long again. Before I joined the LHC I had chopped my hair off into a chin length bob, and I've grown in out to my waist now since 2010. I can't believe it that me and you are at the same length now! :D And, this is also the longest my hair has ever been in my whole entire life right now too! It's pass MBL, and that was my natural length as a child or when I was younger. Sometimes mine acts a little stubborn like or stunted like it doesn't want to grow anymore too. But then it starts right back into growing again. Like the saying goes, "Hair does go through a resting phase."

Dark40
February 9th, 2018, 04:33 PM
It is fun to look back and see the change. Maybe you'll come across some.

I find that hilarious, but what a pleasant surprise every week! But I your mind gets used to things being certain way. I've just started wearing a bun everyday and have felt startled a few times thinking my hair is missing when I realize I can't feel my hair after wearing a ponytail for months on end.

Yes, it is fun to look back and see the change. Well, I really need to take some recent ones. Especially, the progress I have made since joining here at the LHC.

Hexen
February 9th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Probably the several years that encompassed the time between about 1989, to 1992 is what it took for me. Twas then that I began to see the transition from late 80's new wave mulletification, to early 90's 'grunge' length. :p

Ariel love
February 22nd, 2018, 07:43 AM
Still waiting for that time. 😂

Caraid♫
February 22nd, 2018, 08:24 AM
My hair felt like I could consider it long when it was at waist length. But it's funny how skewed your perception can get of your own hair- after chopping, I look at pictures of my hair at TBL, where it felt "long" but I always felt it could be longer or feel thicker or something and I think "Holy crap it was so long and luxurious, how didn't I appreciate that when it was that length!?!!" *sigh*

Milady_DeWinter
February 22nd, 2018, 10:50 AM
I'm at WL+, hip by summer, and despite I'd describe it in others as "long", doesn't feel long for me. May be when I'll be at hip, or better at BCL, I could see myself as a real long haired! :blossom:

(But still not long enough... lol)

Mega Moose
February 22nd, 2018, 01:12 PM
The other week when my little sister commented that my hair had gotten longer than hers, I felt like I'd arrived. XD hers has been waist-hip length for a few years, and she's taller than me but mine is at my tailbone now so we measured and determined I'd finally beaten her in length. Also, I've started to actually notice the weight of my hair especially when it's in a top knot (looks more like a top loaf these days, though), so I've finally decided it is long.

Ligeia Noire
February 27th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Funny I've found this thread because last Sunday I had just washed and combed my hair and left it down to dry and my husband said we needed to go out to buy some groceries. Fine. I won't put it up all wet. I had to put my boots on though as it was snowing the past few days. When I start picking up stuff from the shelves he couldn't stop saying "wow I think your hair is very long now. Look, it's down to your boots!" I guess I can say now that it is starting to feel long :p

Arciela
February 27th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Mine is TBL and doesn't feel long at all really. It felt long at classic before I had to do a chop back to waist. Probably once its back to classic it will feel long again :)

Flowerness
February 27th, 2018, 01:51 PM
This is such a great question! I wonder if it has to do with what you are used to? Like once you pass that and are onto something longer, then you feel "long" because you are not accustomed to it? I was stuck between APL and BSL for quite a while, then decided to really "Grow." My hair grows pretty fast, so it took a while for me to realize where my hair was at, and to have it really "feel long." (If that makes sense.) I'd guess and say once I was a bit past waist? Because that was my original goal, and when I got there, I realized it wasn't really long enough. When I passed Hip+ however... that was when it started to feel like it was a bit "too long!" It started to be a bit much, and got heavy, wouldn't stay in place, etc.

ipickee
February 27th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I'm at hip, and it still doesn't "feel" long to me. I mean, I am 5'3", so it's not super long anyway, but still. I'm hoping by the time I hit Classic, it'll start to feel long-ish.