PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Satin?

FrayedFire
February 1st, 2018, 09:31 PM
What are some other 'safe' fabrics?

(edit: yes i know satin isn't a fabric, it's a weave)

ShahMat
February 1st, 2018, 10:19 PM
I was thinking about asking this myself xD
I always sleep with protective hairstyles but both my pillowcase and the hoodies I wear during the day seem to be too aggressive for my hair, I get many knots especially at the nape and I'm starting to see breakage and flyaways on the spots where I lie on while sleeping.
I want to give a try to silk scarves but silk is waaaay too expensive for me

patches
February 1st, 2018, 10:43 PM
From what I understand anything that has a nice smooth and slippery texture should be just fine.

I always sleep with protecivctive haisttles but both my pillowcase and the hoodies I wear during the day seem to be too aggressive for my hair, I get many knots especially at the nape and I'm starting to see breakage and flyaways on the spots where I lie on while sleeping.

I've found some really nice silk scarves for super cheap at thrift stores before. Or you could even look for silk shirts/dresses at such places to make a scarf or pillow case from.

Kitke
February 1st, 2018, 11:14 PM
You can buy plain white 100% silk scarves (designed for people who paint and dye them as a hobby) for about 4€ a pop from craft stores :)

DoomKitty
February 1st, 2018, 11:47 PM
I bought satin pillowcases from ebay for about AUD6.00. They've lasted pretty well (about 4 years) for the price.

Beeboo123
February 2nd, 2018, 12:31 AM
Satin is a type of weave, not a type of material. There’s silk satin, polyester satin, cotton satin...

FrayedFire
February 2nd, 2018, 01:22 AM
Satin is a type of weave, not a type of material. There’s silk satin, polyester satin, cotton satin...

I knew someone was gonna come in and get me on that, but I didn't want to say silk when I meant alternatives to super-slippery fabric.

Lady Stardust
February 2nd, 2018, 01:36 AM
I wonder whether rayon would be an alternative, but it isn't slippery like satin. It would be better than cotton, and it's breathable and soft. I've used a rayon sarong over my pillow when I've been away and forgotten to take my silk scarf.

Beeboo123
February 2nd, 2018, 03:12 AM
I knew someone was gonna come in and get me on that, but I didn't want to say silk when I meant alternatives to super-slippery fabric.

Ah I got you. Tencel is a great alternative, you can get tencel pillowcases, or wear half a tencel bolstercase on your head like I do, as a sleeping cap

lapushka
February 2nd, 2018, 05:09 AM
I use microfiber bedding. It is as soft as silk. And the advantage is you can wash this on hot, together with towels. I have 3 duvet cover sets with matching pillow cases.

Kiiruna
February 2nd, 2018, 05:39 AM
I just came here to say that I read that title as "Alternatives to Satan". That left me being slightly confused.

Carolyn
February 2nd, 2018, 06:17 AM
I wonder whether rayon would be an alternative, but it isn't slippery like satin. It would be better than cotton, and it's breathable and soft. I've used a rayon sarong over my pillow when I've been away and forgotten to take my silk scarf.

Satin means the way the fabric is woven. Satin is not a fiber like silk or rayon. There can be acetate satin or rayon satin or polyester satin.

Hexen
February 2nd, 2018, 06:45 AM
I could be wrong...and as a result of my lack of general knowledge I probably am. But none of those materials sounds particularly conducive to nocturnal perspiration. Which I think could be a factor for an unstable regulation of body temps. These materials in nature are not meant for absorption, but rather strength.

Especially silk...which can rival STEEL.. ;)

Lady Stardust
February 2nd, 2018, 07:46 AM
Satin means the way the fabric is woven. Satin is not a fiber like silk or rayon. There can be acetate satin or rayon satin or polyester satin.

Hi, thanks for the clarification :-)

I know that satin is the weave, but rayon satin isn't what I was trying to describe...obviously badly! The rayon material I was thinking of is soft and drapey, a looser weave than satin. It's often used for sarongs and lightweight drapey clothing. As I don't know how to describe it properly though I'll duck out now... :-)

Hexen
February 2nd, 2018, 08:30 AM
I just came here to say that I read that title as "Alternatives to Satan". That left me being slightly confused.

.....:toast:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 2nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
I always sleep with protective hairstyles but both my pillowcase and the hoodies I wear during the day seem to be too aggressive for my hair, I get many knots especially at the nape and I'm starting to see breakage and flyaways on the spots where I lie on while sleeping.

You could probably get a cheap silk scarf from a charity shop, maybe? Or a silk shirt and use it to wrap around your pillow.

Chromis
February 2nd, 2018, 08:53 AM

Hahaha! It wasn't just me! :spitting:

OP: You will likely get better help if you are more specific in what you are looking for in your first post. What is it you don't like about satin? What sort of things are you trying to do with said fabric? What things have you already tried? That sort of thing. We can't read minds.

OhSuzi
February 2nd, 2018, 09:51 AM
I was literally about to put Alternatives to Satan? and then realised Kiiruna already had - I guess we just see what we wanna see!

FrayedFire
February 2nd, 2018, 03:06 PM
Hahaha! It wasn't just me! :spitting:

OP: You will likely get better help if you are more specific in what you are looking for in your first post. What is it you don't like about satin? What sort of things are you trying to do with said fabric? What things have you already tried? That sort of thing. We can't read minds.

I'm looking for materials for shirts, blankets, pillows, whatever, stuff that won't catch and frizz my hair, but I live in Florida so I'd like it to be breathable - the pillowcases i have now are nice and slippy, but they're either too cold or too hot.

enting
February 5th, 2018, 04:31 AM
A cotton satin or cotton sateen might be nice. Cotton is a cooler fabric, generally, but it does breathe. Synthetics will be warmer and breathe less.

Beckstar
February 5th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Me too. My first thought was to suggest God.

ShahMat
February 6th, 2018, 04:13 AM
You could probably get a cheap silk scarf from a charity shop, maybe? Or a silk shirt and use it to wrap around your pillow.

I don't know if charity shops are a thing here, but I was thinking that there is quite a large muslim community where I live and I came to know that girls usually buy scarves for covering their hair in a nearby open-air market.. I might go and take a look !

Dante
February 6th, 2018, 04:30 AM
I bought satin pillowcases from ebay for about AUD6.00. They've lasted pretty well (about 4 years) for the price.

Could you recommend any particular eBay seller for these? Always great to get a recommendation for an Aussie seller considering the ridiculous shipping charges often levelled on stuff from elsewhere.