PDA

View Full Version : Fishtail fuzziness

pixi_stix
January 29th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Hi guys. I finally leaned how to fishtail braid. Yay me. My problem is when I try to take them out the next day, even though I am really careful, my hair tangles, knots and frizzes like a curly who drags a brush through their hair. :eek:
My hair info as best as I can describe it;
My length is Tail bone. My last trim was two weeks ago (4" cut)
It is fine and very thin, and stick straight, and only gets a bit of life in it when I use protein treatment, which is rare.
I only use natural shampoo and conditioner (Natures Best, or Lush Honey shampoo and American cream conditioner). I was twice a week.
I don't use hair spray or styling products.
I rarely use heat (Use a hair-dryer approx 4 times a year)
I don't dye my hair, though I have been using Lush Henna for a couple of years.
I use Argon oil after washes, and ACV rinse straight out of the shower.

If anyone has any tips on how to undo fishtail braids without the knots and frizz, I'd appreciate it. I really love these braids, and can only do these and English braids.

TIA
Pixi. :p

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 04:07 PM
How far down are you braiding? Maybe try and leave a bigger tassel?

FrayedFire
January 29th, 2018, 04:08 PM
How are you undoing the braid and detangling it?

pixi_stix
January 29th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Thank you for your reply. My tassle is 5 to 6 inches long. My hair is too thin at the ends to go much further down.

@FrayedFire. I am unpicking it with the tips of my fingers. It gets so knotted, I have to lather it with oils, and it's still a struggle

FrayedFire
January 29th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Hmm... I don't really like fishtails because they do lead to more tangling just because of how they're done, but that's pretty bad just for one day and such a long tassel. How about when you're doing the braid, maybe there's an issue there? Wet, damp, dry, oiled? What method are you using to braid, how thick are you making the strands?

pixi_stix
January 29th, 2018, 04:39 PM
I've tried both damp and dry braids. The strands are thin because my hair is quiet thin. The thickest part of my ponytail is 3" and the ends are around 1" I use argon oil before doing any type of braid. I've also tried coconut,but my hair isn't keen on it.

FrayedFire
January 29th, 2018, 09:53 PM
My hair also doesn't care for coconut... I would try making the sections bigger and looser and see if that makes any difference - oh, I just remembered. Oil attracts lint, which = tangling. That might be an issue.

leayellena
January 30th, 2018, 04:58 AM
All straight fine (medium is not too different from fine) hair fuzzes. That's why I always bun my fishtail braid. My hair fuzzes pin straight, no matter if I shampoo with or without SLS, co-wash with or without cones, but lightweight products actually enhance my flyaways. This is the sign my hair is actually straighter than I thought. You are not alone. She had 1a hair and it fuzzes. Check out her blog: http://rionashairblog.blogspot.de/search?q=Braid

ShahMat
January 31st, 2018, 02:19 PM
I haven't done a fishtail in a very long time (since APLish probably), but maybe the very small strand you have to take could explain the knots.
As for the frizziness, I think that some hair just doesn't like being braided.
Personally, I can probably get away with english braid waves if I don't keep the hair braided too long, but anything more complicated than that (dutch braids, double braids, rope braids, literally anything) will leave me with super frizzy hair. And my hair is thick, which means I look like a lion even though I have naturally straight hair xD That's why I normally wear un-braided buns and braid just on the 1-2 days before shampoo, just to get the oily look at bay