PDA

View Full Version : The official hair scissors thread!

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 06:21 AM
If you have questions about hair scissors please post them here. I noticed a lot of splattered threads but no coral of knowledge.

Myself, I have Japanese steel scissors and they are the sharpest around (I just nicked myself trying to help mom cut her hair). Just the very edge of it, and I'm bleeding like a pig. :( Yeah, that happened.

But if you are going for shears, do give the Japanese steel ones a go. It is a good thing to look out for. They are razor sharp.

Mine are 10+ years old, get used about 3 to 4 times a year, if that, and are still as sharp as ever.

The brand I have is Ultron, they are entry level pro-shears that you can get in the EU, for around 50 euro. If you want the shop I bought them at; this is the Ultron catalog (it is a Dutch store):
http://www.flash-world.nl/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_429

If you've gotten good ones, do share, where you got them, how much they cost, so we have a wealth of knowledge here.

If you find a thread to merge in with this, please report this first post and the thread you would like merged with this official thread. Thanks! :flower:

Veganmayhem
January 29th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Mine are Equinox Professional brand from Amazon. I like them but you have to make sure it's wound tight or else snipping can CAUSE a split!

Blue Mermaid
January 29th, 2018, 07:17 AM
the best pair of scissors I ever used in a salon setting were by the brand Washi. Unfortunately, they were stolen from me. :( If I have some extra cash at the end of the semester this year, I will probably purchase a new pair.

Fromm also makes good scissors, and are in a much lower price bracket.

Stay away from ambidextrous scissors, they cut poorly no matter which hand you use. As a lefty, my first few pairs were ambidextrous because that was all I could find at shows or supply stores. When I finally purchased left handed scissors, I never went back.

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah, and stay away from ebay.

I once tried buying my "Japanese steel" ones from there; as blunt as you can get, even blunter than my old drugstore shears.

Don't think you can get Japanese steel for less than 50 euro / dollars. Just... don't go there.

Suze
January 29th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I have shears from Ultron aswel, very happy with them. I didn't use them for an actual trim yet because I have been in no trimming threads since I bought them but used them for some S&D and they are really really sharp. They retailed for €59,29 but I got them with a 20% off discount code.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6771/FwQbTp.jpg
I have the purple and blue ones and they are really cute.:o I keep them in a little pouch.

Beeboo123
January 29th, 2018, 10:16 AM
The hair scissors I got are Japanese steel, from a Japanese brand “Kai”, and they’re SO sharp, although that may be because they are new. I did a little reading up, while I couldn’t find much about the hair scissors that wasn’t written in Japanese, the reviews for their quilting and sewing scissors are good. Hopefully that means my hair scissors will perform decently enough, guess I will find out in a few years. They were about US$30

littlestarface
January 29th, 2018, 10:21 AM
The hair scissors I got are Japanese steel, from a Japanese brand “Kai”, and they’re SO sharp, although that may be because they are new. I did a little reading up, while I couldn’t find much about the hair scissors that wasn’t written in Japanese, the reviews for their quilting and sewing scissors are good. Hopefully that means my hair scissors will perform decently enough, guess I will find out in a few years. They were about US$30

I wish I can get the actual japanese forged steel scissors aye aye aye but im not a millionaire lol https://www.washiscissor.com/shear-knowledge/ and look at these wow :agape: https://kamisorishears.com/kamisori-frost-professional-haircutting-shears/

Beeboo123
January 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM
I wish I can get the actual japanese forged steel scissors aye aye aye but im not a millionaire lol https://www.washiscissor.com/shear-knowledge/ and look at these wow :agape: https://kamisorishears.com/kamisori-frost-professional-haircutting-shears/

WOW the price of those shears! I’m drooling over them... gorgeous! Maybe one day when I win the lottery or something

littlestarface
January 29th, 2018, 10:36 AM
WOW the price of those shears! I’m drooling over them... gorgeous! Maybe one day when I win the lottery or something

Tell me about it LOL the cheapest washi ones I could find aint tooo bad I guess https://www.washiscissor.com/eco-shear/ one day when I get rich.

Rowdy
January 29th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Those are sooo beautiful! I have a pair of Kamisori shears, but they were "only" $220 on sale for $110. I was blown away the first time I used them!

littlestarface
January 29th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Those are sooo beautiful! I have a pair of Kamisori shears, but they were "only" $220 on sale for $110. I was blown away the first time I used them!

Hot dang what a sale! When was this??

Rowdy
January 29th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Its actually still up on their website, it's under the specials tab https://kamisorishears.com/specials/

This is the one I have: https://kamisorishears.com/kamisori-p9-2016-professional-haircutting-shears/

Flowerness
January 29th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I tried inexpensive hair scissors I got suuuper cheap. Mistake! They pinched my thumb so bad it was numb! Ever since, I've used super sharp scissors that I got just for my hair. Nothing too pricey, but they really do work lovely. What are the differences between normal scissors, and hair scissors?

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 12:44 PM
I have shears from Ultron aswel, very happy with them. I didn't use them for an actual trim yet because I have been in no trimming threads since I bought them but used them for some S&D and they are really really sharp. They retailed for €59,29 but I got them with a 20% off discount code.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6771/FwQbTp.jpg
I have the purple and blue ones and they are really cute.:o I keep them in a little pouch.

Yep I have these exact ones, same design of the scissors as a whole but I have a full metal one. These days they do designs, all designs and no regular plain ones anymore; well mine *are* 10+ years old. :shrug: It's more fun with the designs, I think. I particularly like the camo one they now have on their site. But mine are still good (I cut myself with them, barely touched my skin and it bled like crazy, yeah, razor sharp is no exaggeration).

Just wait until you can do your first trim with them (don't do it NOW LOL ;)) - I'm willing to bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

That's a good price; I hope they're good. I'm glad their other scissors have good reviews, should be OK then!

I tried inexpensive hair scissors I got suuuper cheap. Mistake! They pinched my thumb so bad it was numb! Ever since, I've used super sharp scissors that I got just for my hair. Nothing too pricey, but they really do work lovely. What are the differences between normal scissors, and hair scissors?

The sharpness of the blades, for one. Hair shears are a lot sharper! If they're good ones, at least.

Suze
January 29th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Yep I have these exact ones, same design of the scissors as a whole but I have a full metal one. These days they do designs, all designs and no regular plain ones anymore; well mine *are* 10+ years old. :shrug: It's more fun with the designs, I think. I particularly like the camo one they now have on their site. But mine are still good (I cut myself with them, barely touched my skin and it bled like crazy, yeah, razor sharp is no exaggeration).

Just wait until you can do your first trim with them (don't do it NOW LOL ;)) - I'm willing to bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

That sounds really really painful!*hug* Sometimes when I hold them I get the urge to trim, but I won't. I actually feel quite comfortable with not trimming my hair but I am also looking forward to it at the same time.

The ones you describe are pretty too. Still very happy you lead me to these scissors. So thanks!:flower: I'm cutting my sisters hair every month but I use 'Hema' shears for that. We never know when we have the time so I gave her my old shears.:o She will probably buy Ultron's aswell since she's saving money by not going to a salon.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 29th, 2018, 12:53 PM
The shears I got are from a brand called "fromm" and they are the edge ahead line.
20$ on clearance from sallys beauty, they are Japanese steel. They were originally 60$ so I know theyre good shears.
They cut really nicely, though i cant say the amount of splits i see has gone down since starting to s&d with them lol

MoonRabbit
January 29th, 2018, 01:12 PM
First pair I owned was Goody from the drugstore for 13 dollars. Not good quality but did what they could for the price. I gave them to my mom to trim her dogs hair lol. My partner got me a pro set as a gift. They are the Shark Fin Pro Shears, around $300. Definitely on the high end but my partner is a tool and die maker and insisted the Japanese-440A steel would be a lifetime investment. I've only used them twice, once for an s&d and once for an inch trim. They are unbelievably sharp.

Here is the link if anyone is interested,

https://www.sharkfinshears.com/beauty/professional-stainless-shears/product-detail/?17

languagenut
January 29th, 2018, 01:21 PM
the best pair of scissors I ever used in a salon setting were by the brand Washi. Unfortunately, they were stolen from me. :( If I have some extra cash at the end of the semester this year, I will probably purchase a new pair.

Fromm also makes good scissors, and are in a much lower price bracket.

Stay away from ambidextrous scissors, they cut poorly no matter which hand you use. As a lefty, my first few pairs were ambidextrous because that was all I could find at shows or supply stores. When I finally purchased left handed scissors, I never went back.

Yes, "ambidextrous" scissors are the scam of all scams, no matter what you're cutting :agree:. But where do you find left-handed hair scissors? I have left-handed fabric shears and office scissors and little scissors for yarn, but haven't seen lefty hair scissors (though admittedly I haven't looked very hard, since I only recently started thinking I should get some hair scissors).

I confess that, while I want my hair to be trimmed properly, with suitable scissors, the idea of razor-sharp anything scares me, since I know what a klutz I am :undecided:...

Blue Mermaid
January 29th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Yes, "ambidextrous" scissors are the scam of all scams, no matter what you're cutting :agree:. But where do you find left-handed hair scissors? I have left-handed fabric shears and office scissors and little scissors for yarn, but haven't seen lefty hair scissors (though admittedly I haven't looked very hard, since I only recently started thinking I should get some hair scissors).

I confess that, while I want my hair to be trimmed properly, with suitable scissors, the idea of razor-sharp anything scares me, since I know what a klutz I am :undecided:...

They're hard to find, but out there. Washi has a variety of lefty scissors. I've also owned left-handed from Fromm and K-Dog. The ones from Fromm were quite nice- but they weren't the ones sold at Sally Beauty. They were a different grade only sold at professional beauty outlets. There is a huge difference between the 50$ ones from Sally's and the $100+ ones they sell at Cosmoprof and bring to hair shows. I was lucky- the left handed scissors were on clearance because nobody was buying lefty. I paid about 20$ for a 120$ pair of shears. Sadly, they disappeared in my last move.

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Ultron has a left-handed pair in their assortment; basically any pro-shear should have that option. But I got mine from a hairsupply store, so maybe their assortment is bigger. Kind of depends where you shop too, I think.

Yeah, this is Klutz n°1 speaking here, you really want to be careful with Japanese steel shears!

languagenut
January 29th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Aha! I have found the most advanced left handed hair cutting tools in the world (https://www.precisionshears.com/Naruto-HibonZ-New-Hennesy-Flex-Left-Handed-Professional-Hair-Cutting-Scissors-5-8-inch.html)! I should be able to afford them pretty easily, all I have to do is sell my car... :rollin:

More seriously, I'll most likely end up with cheap right-handed hair scissors from Walmart (Goody brand or whatever), which will hopefully at least be better than my mom's old fabric shears. :shrug:

trolleypup
January 29th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Two pairs, the current one is a pair of shorty Kenchii Alfas used for S&D (Japanese steel, concave ground, super sharp and ooh so smooth action, can barely feel when you cut hairs). The backup pair are Bonikas (similar, probably rebranded Japanese shears). Both were upwards of $100.

Ligeia Noire
January 29th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I got a pair for Christmas from The Mane, they claim they are Japanese steel, I don't care where the steel comes from as long as they do the job, I had a pair of conair's and wouldn't have got these ones if I was paying myself, have not tried them yet but they seem sharp.

languagenut
February 6th, 2018, 05:04 PM
So today I went to Walmart and checked out their hair scissor selection. The $6-something Goody ones might have worked fine, but they had such a cheap plastic look about them I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. So I paid twice as much for Conair "barber shears" that claim to be micro-serrated Japanese steel. We'll see how they work out (don't worry, I won't get carried away and cut it short, lol!). :scissors:

MoonRabbit
February 6th, 2018, 05:28 PM
So today I went to Walmart and checked out their hair scissor selection. The $6-something Goody ones might have worked fine, but they had such a cheap plastic look about them I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. So I paid twice as much for Conair "barber shears" that claim to be micro-serrated Japanese steel. We'll see how they work out (don't worry, I won't get carried away and cut it short, lol!). :scissors:

I had the Goody pair from Walmart (the purple animal print design). I'm happy you didn't get them because they are not the best quality. They got the job done but also caused some damage with prolong use.

languagenut
February 10th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I had the Goody pair from Walmart (the purple animal print design). I'm happy you didn't get them because they are not the best quality. They got the job done but also caused some damage with prolong use.

Thanks for the info! Now I don't feel so bad about spending more :).

Did my first trim with my new scissors today, with the ponytail under the chin method. It was also my first self-trim ever, and I'm not 100% happy with it, though it does look better after I washed it (I think the influence of bunning it was making it look more lopsided). We'll see how it looks in a few weeks...

(So I did almost get carried away, trying to make it even, but in the end I only lost about 3 inches, so I'm back at hip.)

littlestarface
February 10th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info! Now I don't feel so bad about spending more :).

Did my first trim with my new scissors today, with the ponytail under the chin method. It was also my first self-trim ever, and I'm not 100% happy with it, though it does look better after I washed it (I think the influence of bunning it was making it look more lopsided). We'll see how it looks in a few weeks...

(So I did almost get carried away, trying to make it even, but in the end I only lost about 3 inches, so I'm back at hip.)

Yep that is what I hate so much about self trimming my own hair, I cut and cut until its all even. I hate cutting my own, I end up taking hours just trying to get it straight.

Did you end up making it straight in the end tho?

lapushka
February 10th, 2018, 03:47 PM
That is why I usually do it on dirty hair. Then after a wash, it looks OK.

I have never had lopsided results self-trimming. If you follow the instructions to a T, there is no doing it wrong. You do have to take into account that your hair doesn't always "lay" nice or the same or even. Just trust that you cut it even!

littlestarface
February 10th, 2018, 03:50 PM
That is why I usually do it on dirty hair. Then after a wash, it looks OK.

I have never had lopsided results self-trimming. If you follow the instructions to a T, there is no doing it wrong. You do have to take into account that your hair doesn't always "lay" nice or the same or even. Just trust that you cut it even!

Even following to a T it still yields uneven results, not everyone can do a self trim perfect, even here I see crooked hems but most don't care, I for one care cuz I need it to be perfectly even.

languagenut
February 10th, 2018, 04:12 PM
I think it's still a little higher on the left; maybe the ponytail was slightly off-center or something. But it's not so bad, for a first try... in any case, I'm not cutting any more right now! Don't want to accidentally end up back at waist or something! :scissors: It's in a bun most of the time anyway, so I can deal with it until next time.

nycelle
February 11th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Oohh.. some of these scissors.. gorgeous, but yes pricey.

I'm another one that wants to try the self trim method that I've seen seen, but don't trust myself to get an even hemline. Like littlestarface, I'd want it to be perfectly even.

lapushka
February 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Oohh.. some of these scissors.. gorgeous, but yes pricey.

I'm another one that wants to try the self trim method that I've seen seen, but don't trust myself to get an even hemline. Like littlestarface, I'd want it to be perfectly even.

Hairdressers tend to be scissor happy, which is why a lot of us self-trim, me included. I haven't trimmed since November 2016, and yes my hair is still fine.

I would focus on growing it out some first, before you start trimming, but good shears are always great to have!

nycelle
February 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Hairdressers tend to be scissor happy, which is why a lot of us self-trim, me included. I haven't trimmed since November 2016, and yes my hair is still fine.

I would focus on growing it out some first, before you start trimming, but good shears are always great to have!

Yeah, I'm trying but it's hard. Keep remembering what my fried ends looked like and I cringe.
I definitely need a sharp pair of scissors to try though, or I'll just give myself split ends.. :eek:

Groovy Granny
February 11th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Mine are Equinox Professional brand from Amazon. I like them but you have to make sure it's wound tight or else snipping can CAUSE a split!

I also bought Equinox (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LH2PSE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I LOVE them.
You can't beat the price for a 'professional razor edge' adjustable scissor with a case.

Mine is out of stock as a previous 'bestseller', but they also offer several other models ranging from @ $9-$50

Adjusting it is very easy with the top screw, but I have had no need to, and they give a clean cut on my fine/wispy silver.

fhairyqueen
February 11th, 2018, 12:53 PM
This thread is exactly what I was looking for thank you ever so much lapushka

lapushka
February 11th, 2018, 01:35 PM
This thread is exactly what I was looking for thank you ever so much lapushka

You're welcome. It's something we all use (at some point), some of us even daily and weekly (S&D) and there wasn't a generalized thread on it, so I thought might as well.

If you've seen great scissors/shears online, or just bought some, and want to share, tell us about them!

Andthetalltrees
February 11th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I'm starting to think I need new scissors, I've been using some cheap Goody brand ones for awhile now and they've done the job. But recently I've noticed after I cut off a few wonky ends or knots I end up with splits popping up a few days after, So it very well could be the scissors. I don't know where to start, I'm in the US and looking for some mid-range ones like maybe no more than 50$?

Rowdy
February 11th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I would check at Sally's if you have one near you, they have a decent 20 - 50$ range.

lapushka
February 11th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I would check at Sally's if you have one near you, they have a decent 20 - 50$ range.

Yes, and make sure you go for Japanese steel, if they have those. Should be in that range, more to the higher end of that amount; but it's IMMHO what you need to spend for good quality material that will cut your hair with razor precision (without the damage of a razor).

Andthetalltrees
February 11th, 2018, 03:15 PM
I don't want to spend much, But I guess 50-100$ is normally what I pay for a hair cut once so if I get good quality scissors and do it on myself it'll be a lot cheaper

Rowdy
February 11th, 2018, 03:26 PM
I don't want to spend much, But I guess 50-100$ is normally what I pay for a hair cut once so if I get good quality scissors and do it on myself it'll be a lot cheaper

That's what I told myself :D My haircuts were around 40$ three times a year and I hadn't had one for 4 years soooo... $130 didn't seem too bad in comparison.

I had been getting by with a 20$ pair from Sally's that were amazing compared to the household scissors I was using before. Sadly as my ends got thicker from the layers growing out I was having to really force them to 'crunch' their way through. My new more expensive pair slices through my coarse hair without any resistance or pushing at all. I think with coarse hair it's hard to get away with the cheaper scissors.

Andthetalltrees
February 11th, 2018, 03:31 PM
That's what I told myself :D My haircuts were around 40$ three times a year and I hadn't had one for 4 years soooo... $130 didn't seem too bad in comparison.

I had been getting by with a 20$ pair from Sally's that were amazing compared to the household scissors I was using before. Sadly as my ends got thicker from the layers growing out I was having to really force them to 'crunch' their way through. My new more expensive pair slices through my coarse hair without any resistance or pushing at all. I think with coarse hair it's hard to get away with the cheaper scissors.

I definitely feel that crunch when I try to do more than S&D with cheaper scissors , It's not pleasant

lapushka
February 11th, 2018, 04:14 PM

As with iii hair; with the drugstore scissors, it was like sawing through. The Ultron shears just slice right through.

Andthetalltrees
February 12th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these scissors? I liked them, I don't know much about hair scissors x). There's so little information online about any of these http://www.sallybeauty.com/shear-xpressions-collection/CRICKT20,default,pd.html?list=Home%7cHair%7cShears %20%26%20Shapers

lapushka
February 12th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these scissors? I liked them, I don't know much about hair scissors x). There's so little information online about any of these http://www.sallybeauty.com/shear-xpressions-collection/CRICKT20,default,pd.html?list=Home%7cHair%7cShears %20%26%20Shapers

Those look nice, and the explanation says "Japanese steel"; they seem OK to me. :) From what I can tell, of course! I'm no "expert". I got mine off of an online hair supply site and trusted the explanation. And they are *perfect*, have lasted for 10+ years and are as sharp as ever!

FaerieToast
October 21st, 2019, 12:32 PM
Wanted to reply to this thread since I just finished reading the whole thing and it's pretty useful :3

I've been thinking a lot about the Ultron brand hair shears, since even a 1/4" 'trim' a is $18 and my hair is thick like lapushka's . . . but I'm not sure if I'll be doing anything other than S&D with a pair of shears that I own. Is using a 5.5" pair of shears more difficult to S&D with than a shorter pair of, say, 3.5" embroiderment scissors? I have these (https://www.amazon.com/Graf-Professional-Dressmakers-Stainless-Embroidery/dp/B071W39BJL/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YJQA0RBTSF8P6F3EKFR0) x two (https://www.amazon.com/BIHRTC-Stainless-Scissors-Dressmaker-Embroidery/dp/B07CYFYT4N/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=YJQA0RBTSF8P6F3EKFR0&th=1) in my amazon search history from when I was looking at an embroiderment scissors thread a couple weeks ago, but I can't remember which ones were higher reccomended.

Ylva
October 21st, 2019, 12:37 PM
I haven't yet used my :rockerdud scissors on my hair but I've trimmed DBF's beard with them a couple of times and they seemed great. They will be used on my hair at the end of the year.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36703&d=1556662771

lapushka
October 21st, 2019, 04:26 PM
Wanted to reply to this thread since I just finished reading the whole thing and it's pretty useful :3

I've been thinking a lot about the Ultron brand hair shears, since even a 1/4" 'trim' a is $18 and my hair is thick like lapushka's . . . but I'm not sure if I'll be doing anything other than S&D with a pair of shears that I own. Is using a 5.5" pair of shears more difficult to S&D with than a shorter pair of, say, 3.5" embroiderment scissors? I have these (https://www.amazon.com/Graf-Professional-Dressmakers-Stainless-Embroidery/dp/B071W39BJL/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YJQA0RBTSF8P6F3EKFR0) x two (https://www.amazon.com/BIHRTC-Stainless-Scissors-Dressmaker-Embroidery/dp/B07CYFYT4N/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=YJQA0RBTSF8P6F3EKFR0&th=1) in my amazon search history from when I was looking at an embroiderment scissors thread a couple weeks ago, but I can't remember which ones were higher reccomended.

If you're just going to do S&D and never trim, go with the embroidery, but if a trim is something that sometimes needs to happen, I say go with a good pair of shears.

Ultron is only sold in the EU, though. :)

neko_kawaii
October 21st, 2019, 04:30 PM

Another option for midsize scissors are the ones marketed for trimming mustaches. My mom gave me a pair and I love them. Just the right size for small trims or S&D.

Natalina
October 21st, 2019, 08:10 PM
I just use the hair scissors from the dollar store. :p Actually, I'm not even sure they're hair scissors, but they look like it soo.. :shrug:

Tiliantti
May 28th, 2020, 02:09 AM
Yoiscissors have these on sale: https://www.yoiscissors.co.uk/collections/sale-section/products/yoi-zen
Japanese steel, regular price around 50 €, and now only little over 10 €
I got mine already, and these are sharp! They mention, that these are good as first scissors (I guess they mean for hairdressers, not for children :D), so I think these will be perfect for me, and for many other longhairs, as I do only random trimmings and S&D.

beth anne
June 14th, 2020, 04:09 AM
Hey lapushka!!, Can you please talk more about your scissors!? I can't find any review of them anywhere, and I don't want to spend 50 euros on something I can't find much info on. Thank you in advance xx

beth anne
June 14th, 2020, 04:11 AM
Have you tried your scissors? Could you give us a little review? :)

auburntressed
June 14th, 2020, 06:59 AM
I am halfway ashamed to admit that I do have a pair of Kamisori Diablo.

lapushka
June 14th, 2020, 04:47 PM
Hey lapushka!!, Can you please talk more about your scissors!? I can't find any review of them anywhere, and I don't want to spend 50 euros on something I can't find much info on. Thank you in advance xx

Have you tried your scissors? Could you give us a little review? :)

Where are you located? Ultron scissors are EU only.

beth anne
June 15th, 2020, 11:52 AM
I live in the EU!

lapushka
June 15th, 2020, 02:43 PM
I live in the EU!

What country? Because that can be important. They are for sure for sale in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Xlena
June 15th, 2020, 04:10 PM
I use these ones: https://www.3claveles.com/3claveles_tienda/es/soft/757-tijera_peluquero_air
They're very simple, but work perfectly. Got them for hairdressing school and have cut mannequin hair (not 100% real hair) and human hair, they work perfect for both, wet and dry

beth anne
June 15th, 2020, 04:33 PM
I'm from Spain

beth anne
June 15th, 2020, 04:34 PM
I really wanted scissors that would last 10+ years! Have you sharpened them?

erebus
June 15th, 2020, 05:21 PM
I bought a pair recently, but haven't used them much. Was googling around and actually found TatsuOni's blog, and I bought one of the ones she recommended.

Xlena
June 15th, 2020, 05:32 PM
I'm from Spain

Hey I'm from Spain too. The ones I put you can get them at tello profesional if you're from Seville (they have online store) and I think at any hairdressing store, I've had mine for a year and they cut like the first day so probably gonna last many years

Siv
September 2nd, 2020, 05:38 AM
This thread was pretty useful for figuring out a good price level for quality scissors!

Feral_
September 2nd, 2020, 05:51 AM
Years ago I bought some from my hairdresser’s supplier. They come with ovoid gel inserts where the fingers go to relieve fatigue (not that I’m using them for that long), and some oil to lubricate the blades. Where the blades meet there’s a little wheel to alter tension. They are mega sharp - the other day I trimmed my fringe and accidentally snipped the skin under my eyebrow with the pointy end - jeez that bled and I had to steri-strip it!

longhairmaiden
February 16th, 2021, 05:32 AM
are using fabric scissors good? they are very sharp.

also how do you tell if your scissors are sharp enough to not give slip ends?

lapushka
February 16th, 2021, 07:32 AM
are using fabric scissors good? they are very sharp.

also how do you tell if your scissors are sharp enough to not give slip ends?

No. Do not use anything but hair scissors, please!

You tell buy buying good quality shears, preferably Japanese steel. Where are you in the world, EU, or US, based on that there are recommendations, as you can read in this thread!

JasminxCat
February 16th, 2021, 09:21 PM
I know I've made a post about them before but at the moment I am using equinox shears from. Amazon, available on Walmart too. The quality is inconsistent, the first pair I recieved was either used or not sharpened properly in manufacturing, but the replacement I have is better now. They are ok, good for the price but don't hold up well. I think I'd have to replace them after a year

Liz_H
September 24th, 2021, 06:17 AM
Beeboo123, how do you like your Kai scissors a few years later? That's the brand I had about decided on before I saw your post. The consumer version is $35 on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096GWRKDM/?coliid=IBEN66L6MJKIE&colid=3GUIBKTGIOTO1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Bat
September 24th, 2021, 07:03 AM
Japanese steel is the best, I have a matt black set by Matsui for hairdressering, they are super sharp

This set you can get singular ones too still a pretty penny z
https://www.scissortechaustralia.com.au/a/s/products/lefty-matte-black-bundle

Kathie
September 24th, 2021, 07:16 AM
Oh! Great idea for a thread! I'll be back in a couple of years when my hair is long enough to cut myself...

lapushka
September 24th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Japanese steel is the best, I have a matt black set by Matsui for hairdressering, they are super sharp

Both my scissors (I have 2 pair, same model/brand 10 years apart) are Japanese steel and yes, there is something to it, for sure. I mean I once cut the webbing of my thumb with mine and it slit through it like a razor! And it had just barely grazed it!

Bat
September 24th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Both my scissors (I have 2 pair, same model/brand 10 years apart) are Japanese steel and yes, there is something to it, for sure. I mean I once cut the webbing of my thumb with mine and it slit through it like a razor! And it had just barely grazed it!

Yep when I cut my bangs I accidentally barely touched the tip of the scissors to the longer bit I wanted to keep and it cut it off!

ZoeZ
September 25th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Yep when I cut my bangs I accidentally barely touched the tip of the scissors to the longer bit I wanted to keep and it cut it off!

Oof, I don't think I can quite justify Matsui scissors for someone who only trims her bangs twice a year, lol. But they sound marvelous.

lapushka
September 25th, 2021, 03:16 PM

Ooooh oh my goodness! :( That sucks!

Bat
September 25th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Ooooh oh my goodness! :( That sucks!

It wasn't noticeable at the time xD and I got matsui for my course I'll be cutting people hair next year

Kathie
October 26th, 2021, 05:06 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. I just picked up a rainbow pair that were 50% off. Still pricey though.

I've made two big hair investments this year- a brush and these scissors. But since I'm not getting my hair cut at a hairdressers every 8-12 weeks at $70-90 per visit (emerging vs senior stylist) I hope the cost will even out and eventually save me some money.