PDA

View Full Version : At what lenght do you consider that you have long hair?

Milady_DeWinter
January 29th, 2018, 05:41 AM
I know, I know... Most of us struggle with the thing that "our hair is never long enough", but... At what lenght do you consider that you have long hair? Not "very long", just long hair.
More than medium hair.

For example, for me I'm only long haired when my hair surpass my tits :laugh: I'm just there, being WL+ in terms of the LHC.

But it's a personal measure, and I thought that'd be fun to compare between us. What would be that lenght for you?

lucid
January 29th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Waist length, if a blunt hemline. Tailbone is very long, and beyond classic is super long :p

Milady_DeWinter
January 29th, 2018, 05:49 AM
Waist length, if a blunt hemline. Tailbone is very long, and beyond classic is super long :p

Yep, I think the same. For me, surpassing my tits WITH a blunt hemline!:P

Jas
January 29th, 2018, 05:49 AM
ooh, good question! I have to say waist length too. Above that I consider it pretty average length, not short but not long.

Very long is BCL (but that's because it's the longest my hair has ever been) and super long is Classic+

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 06:09 AM
TBL to classic, for me is long and long enough. I'm content at that point, and I'm halfway between TBL & classic currently. So I am at my "happy place". :D :o :flower:

gustavonut
January 29th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Yep, I think the same. For me, surpassing my tits WITH a blunt hemline!:P

Oh my god I just laughed out loud at the dentist. :spitting:
For me long is past BSL, mostly because I’ve never been past BSL and I imagine it feels wonderful.

MusicalSpoons
January 29th, 2018, 06:15 AM
I've never really considered this because as an adult I've always had hip-tbl. On other people before LHC, I think I used to see waist+ as 'long', because in my head hair was either long, short or very long! Now I know better, and with the knowledge of body markers and that there are definitely different degrees of long, I see BSL as long on taller people (or curly hair) and waist+ still as long in general.

Thinking about it, I guess as I never wanted my hair cut shorter than a particular length - which I now know to be hip - I subconsciously didn't consider anything shorter than hip on myself to be 'properly' long. Strange that our perceptions of ourselves and of others can be so different :hmm: :shrug:

Beeboo123
January 29th, 2018, 06:16 AM
For me, short = bald to MBL, medium = MBL to classic, long = past classic

JennGalt
January 29th, 2018, 07:05 AM
On others, anything past MBL looks long to me. But my hair is the longest it's ever been at WL+ (HL stretched) And still doesn't seem "long" to me, even when it gets in my way or gets caught somewhere or dips itself into anything and everything in my general vicinity.

T0n1c
January 29th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Probably waist for me. I think anything past BSL will feel like "getting there!" since that is the longest I have ever had it, but waist will really feel like "woah, this is long!"

YvetteVarie
January 29th, 2018, 07:57 AM
BSL for me. Its a length rarely seen where I am (except with extensions).

school of fish
January 29th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I guess for me my perceived ranges generally fall like this:

Ears & above - short
Ears/chin/collarbone - shortish
Collarbone/shoulder/APL - medium
APL/BSL - medium-long
BSL/MBL/WL - long
WL/HL - quite long
HL/BCL/TBL - decidedly long
TBL/classic/fingertip - really long
Fingertip & below - super long

With some variances for individuals - shoulder length can look pretty long to me on some people and APL can look pretty short to me on others... it depends on the person. It's all pretty subjective, I think :)

littlestarface
January 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Long to me is at knee/calf on others but myself long wont be until at least ankle, anything else is so short in my eyes.

Salwety
January 29th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Waist length was always where I consider hair to be long. Though sometimes I catch myself thinking that someone has long hair when it is at BSL. After BCL it is very long.

DweamGoiL
January 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM
For myself, WL was when I felt that I had long hair. Although I have grown my hair longer than that, I am happiest between WL-HL. Anything beyond that does not lend itself as very functional for an office environment IMHO.

Visually on others, around BSL, I begin to appreciate length, but as others have said, it really depends on the person and their body shape. There have been very few people I have seen in the wild that have hair past HL. The most common long hair length has been MBL-WL. The ones I have spotted with hair longer than that have been East Asian and within a neighborhood where they reside as the majority.

WillOTree
January 29th, 2018, 09:45 AM
For me I think it would be past BSL, as I've never had hair longer than that since I was wayyyyy little and don't remember. BSL is where it would "feel" long.

Hiyotoris
January 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I feel like waist is a good "long" starting point. Mine is just creeping up to waist and I feel like it's getting really long as it's the longest my hair has been since I was maybe 8?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 29th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I feel that my hair is long now, at knee, and I'm pretty happy about that.

Dendra
January 29th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Pixie - APL : Short
APL+ - MBL : Long-ish
Waist+ : Long!

AmaryllisRed
January 29th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Interesting to see the variety of responses.
I think anything above the shoulders is short.
Brushing shoulders to maybe just above BSL is medium. BSL to waist is long. Past waist is very long.

Vegan_Mama
January 29th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Oh my word! Y'all have really high standards Haha!! I am so jealous but also happy for you guys regarding the lengths you have achieved. So impressive!! For myself I would say anything past bra strap length I consider long.. mainly because the longest I've ever had my own hair is just past my boobies. I am challenging myself to get much longer though. That's why I joined the long hair community! Inspiration and motivation! ;)

Cg
January 29th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Because mine has reached nearly knee several times, I don't think of my own as long until ~ FTL. On others it depends on their height. HL on a very tall person would seem long to my eye.

yamsha23
January 29th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I consider long hair being from hips and on. Sometimes I'm surprised when youtubers show their BSL length hair and say "as you can see I have very long hair", for me it's very short!

amiraaah
January 29th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I consider long hair being from hips and on. Sometimes I'm surprised when youtubers show their BSL length hair and say "as you can see I have very long hair", for me it's very short!

i agree,long hair is hip length and on,for me:
BSL is short.
WL is medium and comfort zone.
HL is long.
TAILBONE and CL is really long.
FINGERTIP+ is super long.

MusicalSpoons
January 29th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Yeah, that gets me too! Even pre-LHC 'very long' for me meant it had to be at least all the way down your back, so I was often very disappointed by videos claiming to be for long hair (that and they used a ton of products, which is not for me). In fact I'm less often disappointed by YouTube, despite my hair being longer than it ever has, because LHC has helped me understand that people have different perceptions of short/long hair and that by many people's standards, 'long' is actually decidedly shorter than whatever my ideas of long were.

PixxieStix
January 29th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Long hair in my mind starts at waist length, but it's when it reaches past hip I notice myself admiring it a lot more.

carlimeow
January 29th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Yeah, my hair doesn’t really feel ‘long’ until I’m at hip length or even tailbone. Maybe somewhere in between.

I think that starting my hair growth journey at a relatively young age (thirteen) greatly affected my idea of what I consider long hair, because of how I grew up with it for such a significant portion of my adolescence. Though of course the process of growing hair out at all changes those ideas since you get used to it as it comes. Still, I try to always appreciate what I have, and this includes hair as I would never want to take it for granted when there are so many others who have lost theirs. Anyway, I agree with what others have said, it’s always interesting to hear people describe hair that is, say, bra-strap length or so as ‘long’—though when I think about it objectively I can see how that length is pretty long, and my differing concept of long hair for myself is just that: different. Another interesting thing is seeing someone's reaction to your hair, someone who does not grow their hair very long, and realizing once more just how large that gulf is between the viewpoints. :blossom:

MoonRabbit
January 29th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Hip is considered long on myself since I only could grow my hair to mbl with frying it everyday. But I would consider waist long on others.

Flowerness
January 29th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I think there is a difference between how long your hair is when it feels long, vs. what you think is long. I've always figured chin length to CBL is "medium." Shorter than chin is short. It always makes me chuckle when I see an article in a magazine or online, when it says look at this celebrity's long hair- it brushes her shoulders!! I'm a little stumped at that. I figure the classic notion of long hair is BSL or there abouts. When did it feel long on me? Well, when it covered up the ladies in front. I remember thinking how long my hair was now! (Because that was a weird goal of mine.) MBL was longer than I'd ever had my hair before that I'm aware of, so when it reached that point in front I remember thinking: LONG! I figure Hip+ is really long hair. Classic and longer: superdeduper long hair!

Milady_DeWinter
January 29th, 2018, 01:07 PM
It's very interesant to see how different your responses are! To add more info, for me,

Bald to CL short
CL to WL medium (if a blunt hemline)
WL+long (if a blunt hemline)
From BCL/TBL XXL long hair

Here in Spain is quite rare to see hair longer than MBL, in fact most people say that I have very long hair (I don't think so, I've just started to see it a bit long), and that long hair starts just below the shoulders... Not for me though :)

Chromis
January 29th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Meh, I am happy to call anything past BSL "long"

(Clearly my version of "long enough" on my own head is a different story haha)

FrayedFire
January 29th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I don't really have exact demarkations, but I generally consider lengths to be as such -

Very short: buzzed to pixie
Short: pixie to chin
Medium: chin to shoulders
Long: shoulders to classic
Really long: classic to floor

(bald and beyond floor are outliers and should not be included)

Edit: On me? Waist.

abribun
January 29th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I'd say waist with a blunt hemline is long!

ponine
January 29th, 2018, 02:35 PM
I'd say short is above shoulders, medium is between shoulders and BSL, long is BSL to waist, and beyond waist is really long.

NightSister
January 29th, 2018, 02:50 PM
I think long hair on others is BSL+ and on myself WL+ :)

Corvana
January 29th, 2018, 02:59 PM
That I have long hair? Honestly, probably APL. That's also visually where I consider hair to start looking long, as well. Whenever I think "oh they have long hair", their hair is APL at the shortest. Shorter than that is just "medium" until about mid-neck? Then there and up is "short". I think that about hip+ is "very long" to me, as well.

But then again, once I hit APL it may not feel long! I've noticed lately that I care more about the ability to bun than how long my hair looks, so maybe I won't think it's long until I can do a couple buns with a stick that don't slowly unravel due to needing a few more inches lol.

ShahMat
January 29th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Mmmm.. for me I would say it's only long at hip and beyond
So I would say:

Buzz to shoulder: short
Shoulder to hip: medium (mostly because is the average length people have where I live, both really short and super long are quite rare)
Hip to TBL: long
TBL to floor: very long/super long

lithostoic
January 29th, 2018, 04:03 PM
BSL I felt like my hair was finally long.

Dark40
January 29th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I would say from waist length to pass classic is long enough for me.

*Wednesday*
January 29th, 2018, 08:01 PM
TBL to classic, for me is long and long enough. I'm content at that point, and I'm halfway between TBL & classic currently. So I am at my "happy place". :D :o :flower:

Ditto that. TBL-Classic

Ligeia Noire
January 29th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, I wouldn't call any length above waist long. But we all have different perspectives, generally society considers bsl hair long...

yahirwaO.o
January 30th, 2018, 12:06 AM
BSL looks quite long to me. Waist is like "of course you hair is long, get it" and anything longer than hip "you have crazy long hair" ha ha ha.

On myself well only when you grow from super hair you realize having a long mullet feels quite long in comparison to my fresh cut style.

Like ladies who get a pixie and then it gets a long pixie... yeah you do feel it in a strange way!

But on me APL feels long and i'm a man, so to must society my hair is super long already ha ha ha To me BSL-to Mid back is safely long!!!

Zindell
January 30th, 2018, 01:18 AM
Short: Pixie to Chin
Medium: Chin to BSL
Long: BSL ->

Simsy
January 30th, 2018, 01:30 AM
Ooo tough question...
On other people, short used to be about chin and up, long was bsl down and medium was everything in between. Now long doesn’t really start until about waist, but the other markers remain.

On myself. I’m nearly classic and it doesn’t feel long.

Waveurly
January 30th, 2018, 01:46 AM
My perception would be:

Short: Anything above the shoulders
Medium: Shoulders to BSL
Long: BSL to Hip
Very long: Hip and beyond

I honestly think that my perception will change over time, I mean, if I see photos on here or of other people, I perceive hip length and beyond to be actually getting long. But what will start to feel long on my own body and what I'd generally call long hair on a woman, starts at BSL and beyond.

leayellena
January 30th, 2018, 04:40 AM
Short: pixie to apl (C'mon you can't make that hair stay without a can of hairspraying, blow frying, water, conditioner is either too much or too less, you look like a man with a "bun")
Medium - apl to mid-back - every "long haired" celebrity has their hair in between these lengths
Mid-back to hip - long? Yeah it's where I instinctively stopped pulling my hair.
Hip to classic - this is long
classic and beyond - very long.

hayheadsbird
January 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I'm wondering if post hip will feel long on me. Looking at others I'd say mid back looks longish, but at waist+ it still feels kinda short!

valkyrie90
January 31st, 2018, 04:57 AM
On myself maybe TBL and beyond feels long. On others anything from BSL feels long . I always think people have longer hair than mine. In my head it's forever APL :))

Eastbound&Down
January 31st, 2018, 12:17 PM
BSL and longer is when I start seeing myself as a "long hair". My end goal for now is HL- HL+, although it will probably change with time. I just hit APL again so I'll just enjoy to journey back for the next couple years.

divinedobbie
January 31st, 2018, 12:30 PM
Anything above shoulders on someone is definitely short. However if I ever cut my hair above APL I would consider that short on myself. Between shoulder and BSL I would call medium and anything past MBL I would casually call long or medium-long but I don't truly think of it as "long" hair unless it's solidly past waist at least or hip.

Suze
January 31st, 2018, 01:02 PM
My long standards have shifted since joining LHC. But I try to stick with my original long hair perspective which is MBL I think? It depend on a lot of other factors to wheter I consider hair to be long or not.

ETA: my hair is MBL now and apart from rare tiny moments of joy I don't cinsider that to be long but on someone else, yep!:lol:

AutobotsAttack
January 31st, 2018, 03:10 PM
I would say it also depends on proportions? I’ve seen some ladies who are very tall, and MBL, or even BSL in some cases looks long, so to their tall frame. And on short ladies like myself even waist or in the few inches below waist still looks rather short. I’m only five foot even, and I’m just about at hip, and only now do I feel like my hair is on the verge of being long. A few people have said it’s very long, but with my proportions sometimes my viewed is skewed by how I see myself. I don’t think I’ll personally feel “very long” until well passed BCL, or just at classic.

But I would agree with the standards posted above, if we’re dealing with average heights for women.

wispe
January 31st, 2018, 04:23 PM
On others, usually bsl to mbl. Though it depends on the person, like others have mentioned before. On me, I think it starts to look long at mbl but it doesn't feel 'properly' long (whatever that means) until waist+.

Rustam
February 2nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
I think it is really interesting how everyone has their own definition for this. I also have found it interesting that mine has changed as I've grown my hair out. Just as it pertains to how I view my own hair I used to feel it was "long" when it was 2-3 inches long and time for a haircut. Since I have started growing I kind of always feel that it is long since I didn't have a real length goal in the traditional sense and it is always the longest I've ver had it. I definitely think shoulder length and less is short now though.

Joyful Mystery
February 2nd, 2018, 07:22 PM
Waist length and beyond.

Dark40
February 2nd, 2018, 07:28 PM
For me, waist length seems long to me as I am at that point. Oh, I always thought that waist length and beyond was super long.

Beckstar
February 2nd, 2018, 09:21 PM
Shoulder length for me personally.

krispie
February 7th, 2018, 01:04 PM
For me long hair is under the boobs/when hair reaches your elbows :) Somewhere in between I guess :D