PDA

View Full Version : Sandalwood comb ruined?

Bubblebeam
January 29th, 2018, 03:28 AM
I ordered a beautiful sandalwood comb from Etsy back in August. It remained pristine until I started using it on my hair when damp (towel dried out of the shower sort of damp). Being wood, I always gave it plenty of time to dry next to a window or fan afterwards, but despite that it has gradually turned green (from a lovely light hazel brown). The lovely smell it always had is still there, so I'm not sure what's happened? I do recall the item description stating the colour can change depending on humidity, but where we live gets very humid and it never changed. Only when I put the comb to damp hair did it change and rather drastically I might add. I'm hoping the wood isn't rotting?

Crystawni
January 29th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Sandalwood greens in the sun. I only put my sandalwood comb out in good light to take photos for LHC when I first got it, and it morphed just from that exposure, then changed back after being back inside afterwards. Soooooo, no worries!

Bubblebeam
January 29th, 2018, 03:37 AM
So I feel a little silly now, looking back on my order details, the item is called a GREEN sandalwood comb. But still, it arrived and was pictured as being a lovely brown. It remained that way until moisture touched it. Also, it was never under direct sunlight. Oh well. Hopefully it changes back one day.

melikai
January 29th, 2018, 03:38 AM
I did some reading, and it shouldn't be ruined - the colour can change if it gets damp, but it's still perfectly usable.

MusicalSpoons
January 29th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Mine has a variety of brown/green/orange colouring just from use. I might try to take a photo to better explain just hope much the colour has changed - it was just a standard light brown when I first got it maybe a year and a half ago :)

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I think just a shift in color is nothing to worry about; now if it starts growing stuff, that's different. :)

Beeboo123
January 29th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I think your comb is fine, you shouldn’t let it get wet as it might warp, and I really don’t think it has started rotting or gone moldy so easily