PDA

View Full Version : Plain Braid Question

GermanBlush
October 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
When I braid my hair in a plain braid, by the end of the day at work, bits and pieces of my hair are out of the braid and it looks a mess. Is there anyway to keep it all in the braid. My braid falls to my hips.

Thanks.

Anje
October 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
If there's a perfect trick for this, I haven't discovered it yet. My braids do hold a bit better when I've got them totally greased up with oil, though. Hair that's way too oily to wear loose makes shiny, healthy-looking braids.

I usually comb my braids out and re-do them sometime in the middle of the day so they don't get as fuzzy.

misstwist
October 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I was going to suggest oil. I have some Native American friends who have stick straight hair and the wife oils everybody's hair before braiding. She says they won't stay otherwise.

GermanBlush
October 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, too. I have some great Jojoba oil I just love. I'll try that. Thanks again!

Gumball
October 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Hair will always find its way out of braids. It's just the norm. As for maintaining a smooth looking braid you can do a few things. Like others have said you could apply some oil to your hair before braiding. You could also try lightly misting your hair before braiding or even using a leave-in such as aloe vera gel, maybe just a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner or in some cases a small bit of regular conditioner. I hope you find a way that works best for you! Good luck!

Katahdin
October 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I like to braid wet, or very damp, and I find they actually stay very well that way, plus my hair loves the moisture. But if I don't have time to dampen my hair, I just re-do the braid as needed throughout the day.

Periwinkle
October 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I agree with Katahdin - damp hair stays in braids much better than dry hair. I've had incredible success with misting also.

GermanBlush
October 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks! :pumpkin:

Carolyn
October 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I've used a version of Kimberlily's and Fox's leave ins with pretty good success. Braiding damp or misting with rose water or the like is helpful too. I find my braid gets more "caterpillary" if I'm wearing a rough textured sweater.

ETA I think there are recipe's for the leave ins in the Recipe section.

Tapioca
October 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Braiding damp makes the braid stay really well for me, but the tassle gets really funky. I like oiling it and re-braiding about halfway through the day.

sahiba
October 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Damp or oiled braid works for me too , but for a while. So I would quote Gumball " Hair will always find its way out of braids. It's just the norm. "