PDA

View Full Version : My George Michael salon experience (Rapunzel's in Columbus)

Zesty
January 27th, 2018, 08:32 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30034&d=1517109330

If you care to read the looooong version of this story and see all the pictures I took, I made a post about it on my newly created blog: https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com/2018/01/28/my-trip-to-rapunzels-long-hair-salon/ I hate to direct you all to an external site, but it was way easier to upload pictures there.

Anyway! I finally did it. I drove all the way to Columbus and got a trim and deep treatment at a George Michael salon.

The "dusting" involved a pretty meticulous S&D session plus what amounted to a microtrim. I was pleased with the results, as I mostly wanted to clean up a few racer hairs. She measured my hair afterwards (the standard LHC way) and I'm at 39.25"! So only 2.75" shy of my goal. :cheer: The trim left the barest little bit of hair on the floor. I'm guessing it was about 1/4".

The deep treatment has left my hair shiny and with fewer flyaways but not too different in terms of feel and behavior. The hair dryer and rollers they used made my hair look bigger in the after picture and I have more volume at the roots. I'm not sold on the DT just yet, but they *claim* that it takes a few days to take full effect, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to post a picture of my hair tomorrow after I sleep on it and it calms down a little.

The whole experience was very novel and I enjoyed it. It was a pampering spa day sort of thing. I could see myself going back once a year or every other year to get my hemline cleaned up. The people were also very nice. They bought pizza for everyone who happened to be there at lunchtime! And food is the way to my heart. She wasn't quite as gentle as I am with my hair, but it was much better than any other salon I've been to.

I wanted to write the kind of detailed review I couldn't find when I was doing my research, so I hope this might help someone or answer some questions about this niche salon system. :) If you read the entirety of this post (or the blog post), then thank you!

AutobotsAttack
January 27th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Love your hair!!! So brown and pretty!

And I’m glad you enjoyed your salon experience. I can your ends and mid shaft look very sleek and shiny.

I’m absolutely terrified of going to a salon. We’re they rather gentle with your hair and everything?

Zesty
January 27th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Love your hair!!! So brown and pretty!

And I’m glad you enjoyed your salon experience. I can your ends and mid shaft look very sleek and shiny.

I’m absolutely terrified of going to a salon. We’re they rather gentle with your hair and everything?

Thank you!

They were not as gentle as I normally am, but not rough either. The thing that puzzled me was that she used a BBB as part of the detangling process? But overall it was way way better than the traditional salon experience and I didn't feel that my hair was mistreated.

AutobotsAttack
January 27th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Thank you!

They were not as gentle as I normally am, but not rough either. The thing that puzzled me was that she used a BBB as part of the detangling process? But overall it was way way better than the traditional salon experience and I didn't feel that my hair was mistreated.

I did read that bit in your post about that technique. Maybe it was to get all the hairs free and prepped for the trim? Idk just speculating lol.

There’s been a few times where after I’ve air dried, I’ll use a BBB to keep the ends from clumping together so I can flat iron better.

I live in Texas so mostly everyone here either wears weaves, or they’re very into blowouts. But one day I’m going to maybe travel and spend some money on a quality long hair salon.

ThrowNormanAway
January 27th, 2018, 10:17 PM
this is awesome!! I am so happy that more people are seeking out the GM experience. I personally LOVE the treatment, I love the fragrance too and my hair also feels so silky and strong after. That being said I generally avoid proteins like mad in my routine, so every 6 months to a year, when I can make it to the salon for a special treatment, it probably needs it so the results are better. I visit Los Angeles quite a lot and every time I can manage to scrape together the extra money I head to George Michael of Beverly Hills, and visit Jessie, who was mentored by George Michael himself. My siggy pic is from my last visit to her. I just can't say enough nice things. It is very pricey but I truly love the roller set, I like the mega huge specially made rollers and drying machine, its just all so much nicer than I usually get for myself. I trust her implicitly with trims too. She likes that I dont have layers, and she likes that I keep my hair natural and as long as I have it. She does roller sets all day on wealthy women in the area cause she's the last of the salons that will do that rather than a blowout. Blowouts are so incredibly damaging compared to a roller set. Plus with a roller set you get volume at the roots, no frizz, and very smooth silky ends, no need for volumizing products at all. So without the tacky feeling and residue laden products, you are able to enjoy your style for just about as long as ever, which for me is close to a week. I love wearing my hair down the first couple days after. It's so special and unusual for me and I love the compliments. It's SO nice to be able to do something special and nice for yourself without the anxiety that comes with going to a salon!

Anyways, I'm very happy you had a good experience. I look forward to reading your blog entry :)

ThrowNormanAway
January 27th, 2018, 10:22 PM
I also see that you spent 1.5hrs under the dryer, I usually spend close to 3! It's maddening!!

Lanalavallama
January 28th, 2018, 03:18 AM
Zesty, I enjoyed your blog post very much!
Your hair looks beautiful in the before, and very glossy and sleek in the after picture.

ETA : hmm, why not lock your knees?

AmaryllisRed
January 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the update! I look forward to checking out the blog when I have a minute. :)

pandabarrier
January 28th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Wow, your hair already looks good in the before picture and got even better in the after picture. The hemline is more even, and your hair is smoother with more volume.

Zesty
January 28th, 2018, 11:22 AM
I also see that you spent 1.5hrs under the dryer, I usually spend close to 3! It's maddening!!

That part was probably my least favorite, and for once I was glad that my hair isn't especially thick. I almost fell asleep though. :p I was very interested to read about your GM experiences, I think it's very cool that the system exists out in the world since it's so different from most salon practices. I think I will go again! Just not frequently.

Zesty, I enjoyed your blog post very much!
Your hair looks beautiful in the before, and very glossy and sleek in the after picture.

ETA : hmm, why not lock your knees?

She said she didn't want me to pass out. It was such a quick process though, I don't know how that could have happened!

Thanks for the update! I look forward to checking out the blog when I have a minute. :)

Thanks for reading. :)

Wow, your hair already looks good in the before picture and got even better in the after picture. The hemline is more even, and your hair is smoother with more volume.

Thank you!

littlestarface
January 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM
That's so weird people pass out during trims? Is it some kind of condition some people have?

Zesty
January 28th, 2018, 11:44 AM
That's so weird people pass out during trims? Is it some kind of condition some people have?

I have no idea! I thought it was pretty weird though. I know you're not supposed to lock your knees when you're standing to sing, maybe it's the same idea?

Kitke
January 28th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I have no idea! I thought it was pretty weird though. I know you're not supposed to lock your knees when you're standing to sing, maybe it's the same idea?

I'd hazard a guess that it's because if you lock your knees and you're standing for a long time, then you might end up shifting your weight onto one hip or the other (even without meaning to), thus messing up your posture and possibly making the trim uneven. If your knees aren't locked then you don't slouch as much, I'd say. Thoughts?

Kikyou
January 28th, 2018, 02:50 PM
I think it's more about falling in a safe way that preventing the fall. With locked knees you go like a tree, with straight body, not only banging your head directly on the floor (or an object), but also with much bigger impact. If your knees are soft, they bend as you fall, so the main impact goes on the bum, knees, hips and if you head reaches the floor at all, you're much less likely to sustain an injury. If someone ever passed out during a trim in one of their salons and sustained a head injury (head is a part of the body that's really easy to damage severly) that's enough to introduce a safety policy to prevent it from happening again. And it speaks a lot about quality of their service and commitment to clients :)

Corvana
January 28th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Zesty your hair looks gorgeous!! It's good to know that if I'm ever in an area with a GM salon and oodles of money to spend, I can go there and get super pampered with little worry!

And the locked knees thing is because when you stand your blood pools more in your lower legs and feet, and by locking your knees you're not forcing it out and you're more likely to faint. If you don't keep them locked, you're using your thigh muscles which causes more blood to flow back up towards your head and heart, making you less likely to faint.

Lady Stardust
January 28th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Great review Zesty, and love the blog too. It's interesting to read such an objective review, although you're clearly smitten with the place too! It sounds like an extension of how you would take care of your hair anyway (apart from the BBB) but with additional styling and pampering :-)

embee
January 28th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Good report! Beautiful hair - both before and after. :)

Wendyp
January 28th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I went to the gm salon in NY in I think probably 1986 or 87. Maybe 1990 it was so long ago I can’t remember the exact date. My hair was like silk after. I loved the experience so much. If there was a salon close I would go there over an aveda salon. I have jumped from salon to salon because it’s hard to find a hairdresser who appreciates really long hair. This makes me want to order some of their stuff..love the scent of their products!

YvetteVarie
January 29th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Your hair looks so beautiful. Now I feel tempted to splurge on a hair spa day

browneyedsusan
January 29th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Thanks for sharing, Zesty! I had no idea there was a GM salon so close by? Columbus is just a few hours from me! I really enjoyed your blog entry. Maybe I'll do that someday? :)

Zesty
January 29th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks, all!

I wanted to update everyone re the DT. My hair doesn't feel too different but it's harder to comb. I got really frustrated with how long it took to detangle this morning. (Really it wasn't long, it's just usually pretty easy for me to detangle. :shrug:) I'm not sure if it's the DT doing it or if it's because of the lack of a lubricating leave-in. Since I normally use the LOC method, that may very well be it. It is still a bit shinier than normal. I'm curious to see what will happen when I wash as usual -- will the DT have lasting effects or will my hair just go back to normal?

I've also been trying to find even a general description of the ingredients in the professional 1 hour DT. All I can find is the 12 minute DT product they sell, which I don't think is the same thing. I'd like to know what's in it so I can do some detective work on why it might not have played well with my hair. (Is it a protein treatment? Does anyone with GM experience have any idea?) So many people have said wonderful things about it! But unless there's a big difference after my next wash, I'm not super impressed for the price.

I'm still pleased with the dusting and their process for measuring etc., so I'd still go back for that.