PDA

View Full Version : Washing routine help?

Hiyotoris
January 26th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Hey! So I've been using shampoo bars for a while, and last weekend I did my regular oil treatment on my hair and scalp. I leave this in from around saturday night to monday morning when I next wash my hair. Long story short, the oil would not come out of my hair and someone recommend to me to try putting in a load of conditioner on my hair first, waiting 20-30mins, then washing out as normal. I did that, and my hair has been a dream these past few days! So I was wondering if before every wash could I apply conditioner to my hair, rinse then use my shampoo bar on my roots? Does anyone else do this?
This method would also be really good for me to be able to use up some conditioners too! Well, the ones that doesn't contain silicones, my mum can use them up! Hah!

lapushka
January 26th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Yep conditioner on oil is always a good idea (doesn't work for me on any type of natural oils and on my own oil), but it generally works for most.

I do worry about you leaving oil in your hair for such a long time though, that generally doesn't increase any of the benefits. Saturday night to Monday is a *long* time! To me that's overkill, but YMMV. If you don't experience more shedding than normal, more power to you.

Hiyotoris
January 26th, 2018, 03:49 PM
I used to leave it on so long because I used a "low-poo" and if I left it for less time it wouldn't wash properly out either, I'm starting to think that my hair just loves to keep hold of oil? Hah, kind of how dragons like to hoard gold, my hair like to hoard oil haha. Typically I don't experience any shedding when I have oil in it, even when I've kept it in a braid and washed it monday morning I have like 14 hairs come out in the shower, which is a huge improvement for me as I used to shed like a cat just by thinking of brushing my hair!

DoomKitty
January 26th, 2018, 04:59 PM
If I'm not doing a deep conditioning treatment I wash my hair by wetting, applying a lighter conditioner from the ears down, (not rinsing the conditioner out) then using shampoo on my scalp and the first 2 inches or so of the roots (I flip my hair upside down for this as I have thick hair and it's easier to get the shampoo where I need it.)

I then bring my head upright and rinse both the shampoo and conditioner out, and keeping my head upright then apply a heavier conditioner from the ears down and leave that in while I do the rest of my shower stuff. I rinse it out and detangle at the same time.

My DD and I both have bleached ends and with this method we only need trims of half a centimeter every 12-14 weeks.

I've never used shampoo bars so I don't know how they're used but I hope this helps a little.

lapushka
January 27th, 2018, 07:44 AM
I used to leave it on so long because I used a "low-poo" and if I left it for less time it wouldn't wash properly out either, I'm starting to think that my hair just loves to keep hold of oil? Hah, kind of how dragons like to hoard gold, my hair like to hoard oil haha. Typically I don't experience any shedding when I have oil in it, even when I've kept it in a braid and washed it monday morning I have like 14 hairs come out in the shower, which is a huge improvement for me as I used to shed like a cat just by thinking of brushing my hair!

That's good to hear that you don't shed more! :)

Well you do you, girl! :D :thumbsup: If it works for you, then why change it?

Hiyotoris
January 28th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Agreed Lapushka! I'm currently sat with my trusty avocado oil on my scalp and hair almost pushing 24hrs now, just about another 15 hours left to go! haha

FrayedFire
January 29th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Yes, you can, and your hair dragon will probably love it.