PDA

View Full Version : Split ends

cjk
January 26th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Split ends.

I was having an interesting conversation with my mother earlier this week. And the topic of split ends came up.

We both understand that the splitting is damage and, if damage is allowed to spread it can become significant, and so forth. But she asked me why split ends were fundamentally so undesirable, such a big deal (my beard has a few), and I didn't actually have a GOOD answer for her. I mean, if the damage is not extending down the shaft, what difference does it make if the tip happens to split? And, I honestly could not give her a legitimate reason beyond just saying that they are bad.

So, I'm asking the community. WHY are split ends so bad?

*Wednesday*
January 26th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Split ends indicate the hair is devoid of moisture and possible damage. Many split ends indicate hair is dried out due to damage either from chemicals, heat or environmental factors. Split ends also break off = hair breakage. Damaged ends can break or split. Ends breaking or splitting en-mass if you are trying to grow your hair is counter-productive. Occasional splits are common and are brought under control with S&D’s.

Beeboo123
January 26th, 2018, 01:59 PM
If hair is covered in split ends, it looks rough and dull. I think that’s pretty undesirable!

lapushka
January 26th, 2018, 02:43 PM
A split can "rip" all the way up, so if you don't cut it off promptly, that hair strand will become a lot shorter in the end if you have to stop and snip it. Especially if you have a lot of splits.

Corvana
January 26th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I believe splits also cause more tangles, which is annoying. Generally speaking having a few splits overall and just leaving them isn't the end of the world, though. I'm pretty certain I've got a bunch at the back of my head where it's not long enough for me to bring forward and see. But I can feel the ends being a bit rough, and I get more tangles back there. It doesn't feel nice, and it's a bit of a hassle. But I'm not particularly worried about it right now either.

Splits are just a sign that "hey! Something isn't particularly awesome" about your hair. Whether that be that it's just super delicate and will split if you look at it, or maybe you used the wrong hair tie, or you maybe left your hair down when you shouldn't've or whatever the case is! They're just your hair saying "hey homie, maybe double check that you're not causing problems just in case!" and if you're doing your best, then there you go. Sometimes hairs just split, and you just wanna snip it out and be done with it. The ends are old, or your texture is fine, or it caught on something and you had no idea because it was gentle enough to be unnoticeable but it was too much for that little hair.

But that's just my feelings on them!

trolleypup
January 26th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Like Corvana said. For me splits are simply more tangly. And tangles cause more damage.

FrayedFire
January 27th, 2018, 08:03 PM
If you see a split, the hair shaft is damaged above where the split is visible and will continue to break off, but if it weren't for that, I wouldn't care a whit.

GoddesJourney
January 27th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Split end cause my hair to tangle and stick together at the ends (as people call this, Velcro ends). It's really annoying and it looks bad. Also, the friction seems to create even more split ends. I'm better off just trimming them.

Synester
January 27th, 2018, 11:07 PM
the bottom portion of my hair breaks a lot. and is dry so i suspect I lack a lot of moisture but I never have Y shaped split ends. but i always have like a slight kink in my strand or a tiny lighter dot that if i even slightly tug it, it will automatically snap off with the lightest touch or brush. and this is really frustrating i try and S&D here and there for them to not much success but yeah. tons of breaking and velcro ends that always tangle no matter how much i brush or condition them. im losing my mind. i need help