PDA

View Full Version : Tea Tree Oil?

softheartedandl
January 25th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Hello, everyone! So I've had dandruff problems for years and have recently ditched the tar dandruff shampoo my mother lives by in favor of more natural remedies that won't make my hair feel like I've washed it in...well, tar. I've heard tons of good things about using tea tree essential oil to get rid of dandruff and I just want to know if anyone has had any luck with it, and how I should go about using it.

Right now I've been doing bi-or tri-weekly ACV rinses and they make my hair feel great! They do help with the dandruff but not as much as I'd like. It's this one area on my head that's pretty much the only area affected. (Hope I'm not grossing anyone out. Talking about dandruff does make me uncomfortable but I'm trying to lay it all down so that nothing is misconstrued and I don't try a remedy that will make my hair fall out.) It's on the right side of my head and very close to my hair line. As far as I know I never have any dandruff on the very top of my head or the back. Just the front. It's especially noticeable at my part.

Do you think adding a drop or two of tea tree oil to my AVC rinse would be okay? Or would the AVC and tea tree not work well together?

I've also heard that some people just add a few drops to their shampoo and it works fine. Anyone try this?

If you have any other dandruff-reducing advice (whether it involves tea tree oil or not) please be kind enough to share! Thanks, everyone, for all your help!

chomsky
January 25th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Coal tar did absolutely nothing for me either, my scalp was still weepy and miserable, haha.

I've used tea tree oil to help with my SD for a few years now, never looked back. I apply several drops to my shampoo, and when I go to shampoo my scalp I make sure to focus on my problem areas, really massaging it in. After its all sudded I'll leave it while I shower (just a few mins), and wash it out. If I've added enough it'll make my scalp feel cool and breezy. Using tea tree oil allows me to stretch how long I need to use my selenium sulphide shampoo, which I'd also recommend of coal tar doesn't work for you. Head and shoulders do one now. It's pricey though, but with tea tree I only use it once every 3 months. At the moment I'm using Selsun Purple.

What I love most about adding it to shampoo is that I can use a shampoo that my hair likes, while keeping my scalp happy! Coal tar/medicated shampoos are drying (obviously) and smell awful to me, so tea tree oil was always a beacon in my eyes. :lol: And no, you won't lose any hair doing it!

You can also add it to a carrier oil and massage it in. I've got no experience with that, my scalp way to oily as is.

Tea tree oil is a good antibacterial and antifungal, the antifungal bit I'm assuming helps me the most, because I also respond well to selenium sulphide (an antifungal).

First and foremost, I'd ask a doctor if you can, then if they prescribe coal tar (a given in my experience) then you can ask about other avenues.

Hope that helped a bit! Hope you find something that helps soon.

dvep
January 25th, 2018, 07:43 PM
I second chomsky. It works very nicely for my SD in my shampoo suds!

softheartedandl
January 25th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Do y'all add the tea tree oil directly into your shampoo bottle or do you just mix it in with the specific amount of shampoo you use before you actually wash your hair?

chomsky
January 26th, 2018, 02:04 AM
Do y'all add the tea tree oil directly into your shampoo bottle or do you just mix it in with the specific amount of shampoo you use before you actually wash your hair?

I add it to a specofic amount before i wash my hair. It helps me add the right amount!

lapushka
January 26th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Hello, everyone! So I've had dandruff problems for years and have recently ditched the tar dandruff shampoo my mother lives by in favor of more natural remedies that won't make my hair feel like I've washed it in...well, tar. I've heard tons of good things about using tea tree essential oil to get rid of dandruff and I just want to know if anyone has had any luck with it, and how I should go about using it.

Right now I've been doing bi-or tri-weekly ACV rinses and they make my hair feel great! They do help with the dandruff but not as much as I'd like. It's this one area on my head that's pretty much the only area affected. (Hope I'm not grossing anyone out. Talking about dandruff does make me uncomfortable but I'm trying to lay it all down so that nothing is misconstrued and I don't try a remedy that will make my hair fall out.) It's on the right side of my head and very close to my hair line. As far as I know I never have any dandruff on the very top of my head or the back. Just the front. It's especially noticeable at my part.

Do you think adding a drop or two of tea tree oil to my AVC rinse would be okay? Or would the AVC and tea tree not work well together?

I've also heard that some people just add a few drops to their shampoo and it works fine. Anyone try this?

If you have any other dandruff-reducing advice (whether it involves tea tree oil or not) please be kind enough to share! Thanks, everyone, for all your help!

You can't use TT undiluted on your scalp, especially not if you are going to be using it on a large surface (your entire scalp and not just a few spots here and there). You need to use it in a carrier oil, and that way it might be a little iffy, because some dandruff is really SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and not just regular "dandruff", and oils can't be used on the scalp in that case as it will feed the fungal overgrowth.

So do make sure you have "plain" dandruff first and not something worse than that.

I do have SD, and need to use Nizoral 2% (prescribed in the US, OTC here) when I have it bad. No other kinds of medicated shampoos have worked for me. I can keep it at bay in between bouts (when my scalp is clear) by using strong sulfate shampoos, and keeping my scalp squeaky clean.

But that's me, and it's different for everyone.

gustavonut
January 26th, 2018, 11:16 AM
When I want to use tea tree on my scalp (which is my favorite essential oil) I always use it with a light carrier oil like almond oil. And if I want to use it without having a greasy scalp then I add it to a deep conditioner and make sure to massage it into my scalp as much as possible. It usually feels really tingly, in a good way! You can add a mint essential oil as well for the scent and for extra tingle. :p

FrayedFire
January 29th, 2018, 05:18 PM
I used to use a tea tree oil conditioner, which was better than shampoo, but I don't see why you couldn't add it to an ACV rinse. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

ChloeDharma
January 30th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Tea tree essential oil would combine very well with the ACV rinse, I nearly always add essential oils to my ACV final rinses. I also second the suggestion for peppermint EO based on just how amazing and tingly it feels, but really you only need a drop or two or it can get uncomfortable. Eucalyptus is another one that tingles and oddly I have found that lemongrass EO has some citrusy tingle vibes going on which are just lovely!
AS for "dandruff" well it really is necessary to find out what it actually is, as Lapushka mentions it can often be more than "just" flakes. However, that said, in my teens I had what I thought was dandruff, a very flaky scalp that probably was made worse by my constant shampooing in an attempt to clean what I thought was a dirty scalp despite daily scrubbing with shampoo. Anyway I was reading an old book on natural hair and skin treatments and it suggested rosemary infusions for dandruff. Well we always had massive rosemary bushes in our garden so I went out, chopped a generous amount off, infused it (covered) for a few hours then used it as a final rinse. I was amazed as once dry I just could not find a single flake. I did it a few more times then kept forgetting but oddly the flakes didn't come straight back.
I have since tried the essential oil and dried rosemary when having scalp issues but neither of those worked as effectively for an irritated scalp as the infused fresh herb. I'm sure there are many other good herbs you could also try but that one is my go to now.
Also I find scalp oiling really helpful for softening everything up to be washed away but just make sure you haven't got SD first otherwise you could be giving that fungus a feast!

lapushka
January 30th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Also I find scalp oiling really helpful for softening everything up to be washed away but just make sure you haven't got SD first otherwise you could be giving that fungus a feast!

^^ Yes, this. Very much so!

TT
January 30th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I will try to find an article I read some time ago so that you have the source to look at, but in the meantime, here is a quote from a similar article:
"Undiluted tea tree oil has been reported to show undesirable side effects such as allergic contact dermatitis or local skin irritations.Therefore, it is recommended to use tea tree oil preferably in formulations (e.g. creams, gels, ointments, oil of almonds) containing 5 to 10% of the essential oil."
Weseler, A., Geiss, H.K., Saller, R., Reichling, J. (2002). Antifungal effect of Australian tea tree oil on Malassezia pachydermatis isolated from canines suffering from cutaneous skin disease. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd, 144(5), 215-21. https://sat.gstsvs.ch/fileadmin/media/pdf/archive/2002/05/SAT144050215.pdf

This is because, although tea tree oil will kill most microbes and fungi at concentrations below 1%, there are a few more resistant organisms, like some of the staph bacteria, that can survive TTO concentrations above that, up to about 8%. (Weseler et al., 2002.) So make sure you are not diluting TTO too much- a solution of 10% will not hurt your skin, and it will also be strong enough to kill the really nasties.

softheartedandl
January 30th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I think I'll be adding a drop or two of tea tree to my ACV rinse tonight!