PDA

View Full Version : Serious shedding. Strategies for going forward?

truepeacenik
January 25th, 2018, 10:34 AM
My relocation home to Colorado and some minor heath problems (resolved, it is all good) gave me a pretty radical shed. My hair’s thin now. (Or at least thin to me...#lhcproblems)
I see new growth, so that is all good.
but, what can I do to live with the thinness while I wait several years for new growth to catch up?

I cut some damage off. I’m back in the upper thigh area, rather than closing on knee.
I can be ok with maintaining length, or at least not letting it run as I always have.

I wear buns, braids and braided buns, and occasionally pony scrubs.
the issue is my perfectionistic streak and the halo of baby hairs.

what options aren’t coming to mind?

EdG
January 25th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Welcome back, TPN! :waving:

I am sorry to hear about the shedding. I don't have advice for dealing with baby hairs, but I suspect your hair will be fantastic even as they grow out. :)
Ed

Wendyp
January 25th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I just used a sample tonite of chagrin soap nuts bar, soap nuts is supposed to prevent hair loss. Also some rinses and herbs do that, I like it might be the fermented rice rinse. Hope this helps

mira-chan
January 25th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I have a perfectionist streak, permanently uneven growing/fairytailed hair, and periodic sheds that can get quite bad.

Microtrimming on a very set schedule helps. It helps keep the perfectionist thing with "trim a liiitle more now" away.

Baby hairs, a little oil helps. Or flax seed gel.

I have a permanent chin to collarbone length halo. I cut some strands to match it so it looks like an intentional fringe. That may help temporarily, making some of the new growth a fringe by trimming just little bit of the tips of it. Hopefully for you it's a bit less permanent than more me. I've had this halo since the first shed 10 years ago. I think I'm stuck with it. Yours can be "I'm growing out layers" as it goes through growth.

Another options is developing a temporary style of scarves/tichels. I did that when I was going through tooth implant surgeries (yes plural...). My hair was not a happy thing to look at then but scarves were pretty and I could practice tying them in pretty ways.

neko_kawaii
January 25th, 2018, 06:35 PM
I experienced a bit of shedding the last year of grad school. I’ve found that twists/braids along the front hair line helps contain the whispies.

Like Mira says, scarves are great for covering it all up. I put a scarf on this morning to protect my ears from the cold and it was cute so I left it on most of the day. Square, folded to triangle and then folded into a wide band and tied at nape.

lapushka
January 26th, 2018, 06:31 AM
My relocation home to Colorado and some minor heath problems (resolved, it is all good) gave me a pretty radical shed. My hair’s thin now. (Or at least thin to me...#lhcproblems)
I see new growth, so that is all good.
but, what can I do to live with the thinness while I wait several years for new growth to catch up?

I cut some damage off. I’m back in the upper thigh area, rather than closing on knee.
I can be ok with maintaining length, or at least not letting it run as I always have.

I wear buns, braids and braided buns, and occasionally pony scrubs.
the issue is my perfectionistic streak and the halo of baby hairs.

what options aren’t coming to mind?

When I went through my "big shed" at age 13/14, I just left it alone. I had a very overgrown pixie at the time (reached my shoulders just about), and I just let it go. I left it alone. Of course it was short, and I had fewer options. :shrug: It took 2 years to be OK again, and by that time it was shoulder to BSL. I was very happy I'd left it alone at that point.

Maybe maintain thigh? Is that an option? Or let it grow to knee again while the new growth catches up slowly.

Chromis
January 26th, 2018, 07:53 AM
After my big shed, I kept maintaining at a set spot. Knee in my case, midthigh is a bit trickier (find a funny freckle pattern as a landmark?)

It felt like ages, but my hair has eventually thickened back up. It took a good 6 years or so at my length, but I could see the thickness travelling down and now I am actually gaining length again.

I find henna/cassia/sidr/ etc can help a lot with making the new growth behave better although I am too lazy to do this often enough.

proo
January 26th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Massage
General intentional self- care

truepeacenik
January 30th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Thanks all. I could cover, again. My rabbi would be happy. ;)
Hey, proo, I do about four to five massages a day. Not helping. (Jk, I'm a therapist)

enting
February 4th, 2018, 01:55 PM
If it's just the halo of regrowth, I wonder if a fine net headband might help. If you get or make one in a color similar to your hair it would be effectively invisible while keeping your hairs contained but not gelled. I'm thinking of a hair net sort of very fine mesh.
I'll say for myself that nothing has helped the halo appearance better than wide headbands and scarves.

As for thinness, parandi can be fun. You can even do both a covering and braiding a scarf into your hair at the same time, if you find one long enough.

sumidha
February 4th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Welcome back! Unfortunately I don't have any constructive suggestions, just commiseration. I have two layers of postpartum shed regrowth that leave me looking like a dandelion puff with devil horns most days. It's so bad I've actually been considering some kind of gel to slick down the edges or something.

Synester
February 5th, 2018, 12:43 PM
My shedding comes in spells, it was good for awhile now its picking up again. commenting here to hopefully hear what some of you have to say is well. in the shower its usually 2 globs worth. and when i get out to detangle maybe 4 rolled up quarter sized balls of hair. I have super fine/thin hair. Would love to shed less :[

divinedobbie
February 5th, 2018, 07:03 PM
My shedding comes in spells, it was good for awhile now its picking up again. commenting here to hopefully hear what some of you have to say is well. in the shower its usually 2 globs worth. and when i get out to detangle maybe 4 rolled up quarter sized balls of hair. I have super fine/thin hair. Would love to shed less :[

This ^^

Joining for tips :popcorn:

mira-chan
February 6th, 2018, 06:20 AM

This ^^

Joining for tips :popcorn:

If you haven't yet, have your doctor check your vitamin, mineral and hormone levels. Deficiencies or excess of any of those can cause shedding. I track all of my sheds to changes of water, time zone changes/travel, vitamin deficiencies , stress events and health issues.

Synester
February 6th, 2018, 06:41 PM
I know I have hormonal problems, major stress and depression so those are all super determining factors. My vitamin levels should be killer. i take tons of vitamins of all sorts. but any shampoos, products or rinses that can help me maybe despite those things im all ears.