PDA

View Full Version : “Goat Yoga” Hair Mishap

Wildcat Diva
January 21st, 2018, 07:11 AM
Thank goodness I am not this adventurous.

Last night, we went over to my friend’s apartment to play board games. She says, “oh, when you use the restroom, don’t be alarmed by all the hair in the trash can. I went to ‘goat yoga’ this afternoon, and I didn’t realize how badly this goat had nibbled my hair, until when I washed it, it started coming out in clump after clump.”

Stunned, I said, dramatically, “well, that would ruin things for me if that was me: My hair hobby. I saw those pictures you posted on Facebook of the event. What is the point of having baby goats all on top of you when you do yoga?”

She replied, “It’s to make the class more fun.”

”Oh.”

” Really?” I mused, after a pause.

https://goatyogahouston.com/

https://youtu.be/u0CMncRl_GM

Would anyone here be up for some such fun? Answer the poll, you’re not allowed to wear a covering to protect your hair in the contingency plan (my poll, my rules). Votes are public for more hilarity.

lapushka
January 21st, 2018, 07:25 AM
WTH. What even possesses people? And I don't think it's that great for the animals either, being forced into positions and such... no, just from that standpoint alone.

Wildcat Diva
January 21st, 2018, 07:37 AM
It seems like the goats are just milling around, frolicking, getting petted, and climbing on people as they pose. I don’t think the goats are being forced into yoga poses.

renia22
January 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM
A friend of mine runs a place that does goat yoga, they just hang out and stand on people and stuff. Yes I would do it, but I already do cat yoga at home, one of my cats gets all obsessive when my mat is out and climbs all over me, I quite like it =^..^=

Wildcat Diva
January 21st, 2018, 10:20 AM
Ah, a whimsical soul enters the thread!

It seems to be a bit “pet therapy” like. My friend who did it is a sort of an animal activist type person,
Does animal rescues and charity walks and such.

Although she is a meat eater and joked that she’s considering having goat bar-b-q chops soon as a kind of species based tit for tat for paybacks for her trashed hair. I say that’s just the price you pay for putting yourself in a weird scenario like this without thinking it through. It was an exercise in the aftereffects of not using a kind of “what’s the worst that can happen?” method of reasoning. Ah, but we all take risks for the price of real living, eh?

And who knew ‘goat yoga’ was a thing? Where all does it formally exist, I wonder?

Groovy Granny
January 21st, 2018, 10:54 AM
Nope; I am unsteady as it is without an animal jumping on me :lol:

I am all for bunny yoga..... and my shih tzu loves my corpse pose and downward dog lol but that is too much for me :tmi:

Robi-Bird
January 21st, 2018, 11:24 AM
I had short hair chewed on by a goat as a teen... it was the I EAT EVERYTHING goat a friend had. She also had an I HATE EVERYTHING AND I WILL BAD YOU UNTIL YOU CALL DOWN SO I CAN BUTT YOU MORE. Which was how goat number one got a nibble at my hair.

No goat yoga for me.

lapushka
January 21st, 2018, 11:27 AM
It seems like the goats are just milling around, frolicking, getting petted, and climbing on people as they pose. I don’t think the goats are being forced into yoga poses.

Oh... OK, misunderstood that part. I mean but still. Might as well go jump into a stable and roll around the floor. I mean I don't see the good it does, I guess. Maybe I'm wrong in mocking it that way (and no harm intended), but... Man, it's weird to me.

Wildcat Diva
January 21st, 2018, 12:40 PM
It’s all good. Different strokes for different folks and I ain’t seen nothin’ this different in a while. I thought it was funny (and tangentially hair related), and that was why I posted it. Funny haha and funny strange, which we can certainly talk about candidly as a good idea or not.

neko_kawaii
January 21st, 2018, 12:57 PM
Goat yoga seems hazardous from the perspective that goats will taste anything in reach. Clothes, mat, hair. . .

I don't like to be disturbed during yoga, so critter, heck, people yoga is not for me.

entish
January 21st, 2018, 01:04 PM
Hahaha. Goat yoga is hysterical. While I have and love goats, I probably wouldn't... The fact that I don't believe in yoga aside, I work so hard to get mine to behave toward people that the thought of them jumping on me and eating my hair is just... shudder: What I would do, though, is go with someone who did want to do it and I'd just pet the adorable miniature goaties and take pictures of said person doing yoga with the goats :D With my hair covered.

MoonRabbit
January 21st, 2018, 01:22 PM
I mean I would try it once just for the experience but I honestly don't see the point. Is this just a new trend or does it have any historical origins?

lapushka
January 21st, 2018, 01:24 PM
Honest question. Can they bite down so hard as to chomp through hair? I mean, it takes quite a bit to chew a chunk of hair straight off, doesn't it? :confused:

Wildcat Diva
January 21st, 2018, 01:26 PM
Goats can eat tin cans.

But... they shouldn’t.
http://www.goats-in-the-backyard.com/do-goats-eat-tin-cans.html

Upside Down
January 21st, 2018, 01:48 PM
Hahha I saw this on my fb feed a while ago. It hasn’t occured to me that it could be dangerous for hair! :lol: but it really makes sense. Goats chew on everything.

Oooh. While I think they are cute, I don’t think I would do this.

I had yoga outdoors and it was really challenging for me to concentrate with so much going on around me. From that pow I can understand this as a practice in focus and introspection, with a pet therapy feel as a bonus. Although they all looked very distracted in the video.

Yet I am not such a hard core yoga fan to try this :)

Wildcat Diva
January 21st, 2018, 01:59 PM
I mean I would try it once just for the experience but I honestly don't see the point. Is this just a new trend or does it have any historical origins?

Never dreamed I would be researching this.

“They’re the perfect therapy animal.”
Here is the origin story:
https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Lifestyle/goat-yoga-latest-trend-namaste/story%3fid=47447893

lapushka
January 21st, 2018, 02:16 PM
Goats can eat tin cans.

But... they shouldn’t.
http://www.goats-in-the-backyard.com/do-goats-eat-tin-cans.html

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. :D :thumbsup: I suppose that answers my question, right? :lol:

entish
January 21st, 2018, 02:33 PM
Honest question. Can they bite down so hard as to chomp through hair? I mean, it takes quite a bit to chew a chunk of hair straight off, doesn't it? :confused:

Not initially, they have no upper teeth in the front of their mouths. But if they get it back to their molars, which are sharp, they have no trouble biting through. It’s not to be mean, they just like to eat and nibble. It’s probably like very tender hay for them.

Ophidian
January 21st, 2018, 04:40 PM
I'd do it, always up for reminders not to take life too seriously :p

Jo Ann
January 21st, 2018, 10:31 PM
My sister use to raise goats.

Rule #1 was NEVER EVER turn your back to a goat. Never never ever never ever.

It's like being a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs... :shocked:

GalaMoon
January 21st, 2018, 11:59 PM
When I first saw this thread, my initial thought was:"what's the point of that?" But I think it might be more of a therapy thing rather than serious yoga. I think there are a lot of people who take things they do very serious and they get overly stressed when they get distracted or things don't turn out the way they expected. So these classes took something serious, that requires a lot of focus, and added a very unpredictable disturbing factor, to sort of change those people's mindset. I would be worried about the hygiene thing, from what I know, goats can't be trained like dogs, and I assume they will empty their bowels anywhere. Or maybe that's also part of the therapy, you just have to accept that p**p happens sometimes :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 22nd, 2018, 03:36 AM
Not for me. We used to breed goats and - they will happily eat ANYTHING.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2018, 07:23 AM
Not initially, they have no upper teeth in the front of their mouths. But if they get it back to their molars, which are sharp, they have no trouble biting through. It’s not to be mean, they just like to eat and nibble. It’s probably like very tender hay for them.

Oh no of course they're not doing it intentionally! But I was just wondering if their teeth were that sharp, because it takes quite a bit to get through a chunk of hair like that.

Not for me. We used to breed goats and - they will happily eat ANYTHING.

Good to know! :)

Upside Down
January 22nd, 2018, 09:01 AM
When I first saw this thread, my initial thought was:"what's the point of that?" But I think it might be more of a therapy thing rather than serious yoga. I think there are a lot of people who take things they do very serious and they get overly stressed when they get distracted or things don't turn out the way they expected. So these classes took something serious, that requires a lot of focus, and added a very unpredictable disturbing factor, to sort of change those people's mindset. I would be worried about the hygiene thing, from what I know, goats can't be trained like dogs, and I assume they will empty their bowels anywhere. Or maybe that's also part of the therapy, you just have to accept that p**p happens sometimes :)

That was kind of my understanding of goat yoga too! I never considered hair eating or poop everywhere as a bonus. :lol:

languagenut
January 22nd, 2018, 12:07 PM
I would not, could not, with a goat. :p

lapushka
January 22nd, 2018, 01:06 PM
Why do they even do this with goats, why not with bunnies, or little kittens? :o Then I'd sort of get it. But goats are kind of *wild* for something as peaceful as yoga, but that might be the whole idea. LOL

Chromis
January 22nd, 2018, 01:36 PM
Why do they even do this with goats, why not with bunnies, or little kittens? :o Then I'd sort of get it. But goats are kind of *wild* for something as peaceful as yoga, but that might be the whole idea. LOL

Bunnies or little kittens *less* wild, hahahaha!

Bunnies also love to nibble hair and clothing and kittens are often quite rambunctious!

Corvana
January 22nd, 2018, 02:43 PM
Assuming I could put my hair up in something that'd make it a smidge harder to chew? Yeah sure why not lol. I wanna snuggle baby goats! And talk about a core workout :laugh:

But I doubt I'd do it more than once.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2018, 03:13 PM
Bunnies or little kittens *less* wild, hahahaha!

Bunnies also love to nibble hair and clothing and kittens are often quite rambunctious!

Oh heck, there went that idea! LOL! :lol: ;)

Carolyn
January 22nd, 2018, 04:14 PM
All I can say is OH HELL NO!

hobbitlocks
January 22nd, 2018, 04:47 PM
I would totally do this. I like yoga, I like goats, I like silly things... seems like a good time :) And now, armed with this knowledge, I would wear something like a crown braid covered by a buff and would hopefully emerge unscathed!

RedStripe
January 22nd, 2018, 05:42 PM
I've seen a video clip or two about goat yoga, but I thought it was a one-off gimmick -- I didn't think it really was a thing. Looks like maybe it is.

I think goats are cute, but I don't think I'd care to have one climbing on me. So, no thanks.

However, like renia22, I also have cat yoga. My favorite yoga experience: One day I was holding a shoulder stand and my cat came up and licked me on the nose.

sarahthegemini
January 23rd, 2018, 09:39 AM
I'd happily let a goat use me as a play pen but I couldn't be bothered with the yoga.

Lizzie.torp
January 23rd, 2018, 11:25 AM
Baby goats are cute and non-serious yoga sounds great, but I have a small fear of older goats.

One time we had a family picnic at my grandpa's house and he let the goat out. It immediately headbutted a toddler and hopped up on the table covered in food and yelled then hopped off and started chasing people around the yard!

Celtic Morla
January 23rd, 2018, 03:55 PM
I find goat yoga to be a bit of a citified fad..and there's a reason they use baby goats..LOL if youve ever been head butted by a full grown goat in the bum you sure don't want to do yoga with them!

lapushka
January 23rd, 2018, 04:11 PM
I'd happily let a goat use me as a play pen but I couldn't be bothered with the yoga.

LOL! :lol:

I find goat yoga to be a bit of a citified fad..and there's a reason they use baby goats..LOL if youve ever been head butted by a full grown goat in the bum you sure don't want to do yoga with them!

Oooh right, I thought they were small for goats. Duh. :o

Suortuva
January 24th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Exactly what I thought. I don't do yoga but I would love to spend some time with baby goats. Or older ones....

HaMalka
January 24th, 2018, 05:53 AM
I don't like yoga. I don't like goats. I would never do this without some form of coercion.

FrayedFire
January 24th, 2018, 02:42 PM
I'm good with my at home cat and dog yoga, but if I weren't, I would probably try this.

Stevy
January 24th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I too do cat yoga! Often when I'm in downward dog pose I find an upward cat staring at me with a 'What are you even doing' look on his face.

truepeacenik
January 25th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I would not, could not, with a goat. :p

But would you, could you in a boat on a moat?

ETA
Just an FYI, Goat Yoga Pottery ring any bells? She made the props Ed Phillips used when he was selling sticks. I have a couple mugs from her.
The name led me to look into what I thought was just cute naming.
Turns out, it happens in a lot of cities.

As someone who grew up with goats, I see where kids (young juvenile goats) would be amusing and honestly, gimmicky.
But....goats poop pellets. Lots of them and often, and often on the move.

On a similar tack, when I would exchange massage with my mentor, we’d get what he called DogSu, which was the dog standing on your floor client.
Both dogs loved the vibes in the massage room and got in on our trades (shiatsu and Thai, both floor work modalities)

Goats have small, dense feet and could put some useful pressure on areas of need.

lapushka
January 26th, 2018, 06:38 AM
As someone who grew up with goats, I see where kids (young juvenile goats) would be amusing and honestly, gimmicky.
But....goats poop pellets. Lots of them and often, and often on the move.

Imagine them pooping on you! Yikes! :shocked:

Better have that hair in a bun. :p

Suortuva
January 26th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Goat poop hair treatment...:ponder:

lapushka
January 26th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Goat poop hair treatment...:ponder:

LOL! :spitting:

Suze
January 26th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I don't even let my cat or my sisters baby nibble on my hair so a goat....no way!:lol: